Code of Conduct

Default Ma Griffe - What have they done to my song, Ma!!!

Naive beginner that I am, I blind bought a bottle of Ma Griffe EDT. Now my memory of Ma Griffe goes back about forty years. (Yeah, I'm REALLY OLD) and I recalled it with the fondness I recalled Miss Dior.

I remember Ma Griffe as a delightful, green (no pun intended re colour of packaging) chypre. Sadly now it is like a ghost. I can barely smell anything at all. Now and again, a tiny wisp of fragrance tickles my memory impishly suggesting at what I remembered. I don't think it's a totally bad reformulation, but I just jolly well can't smell it. Perhaps I am anosmic to its modern incantation.

I guess I'm going to have to get myself a vintage parfum. I used to love it so much that I could just overdose on the delightful dryness and subtlety of it.

At least I can still smell the little elements of the old Miss Dior in the new. Faint, but its heart is still beating. Just!!! Poor old Ma Griffe is on life support,

For those who are unfamiliar with Ma Griffe and Miss Dior - their topnotes are very similar:

Ma Griffe Bergamot, Aldehydes, Clary Sage, Galbanum Rose, Jasmine, Gardenia, Ylang Ylang Vetiver, Tonka Bean, Cinnamon

Miss Dior Gardenia, Galbanum, Clary Sage Rose Jasmine, Neroli, Narcissus, Iris, Carnation, Lily of the Valley Patchouli, Labdanum,Oakmoss, Ambergris, Sandalwood, Leather

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Ma Griffe - What have they done to my song, Ma!!!

LiliB- you are discovering they just don't make those chypres the way they used to. The new Miss Dior is a mess too.
    At the SF sniff, Killian said the IFRA regs make perfumers limit the use of oamoss to 1.5% and older formula typically had 5%. That's a fair amount of difference.

Fortunately- Ma Griffe and Miss Dior can still be found in vintage formulations on eBay for very reasonable prices- at least till we all try to buy it up old stock before it disappears. Actually I was looking at Carven scents today and almost bought another bottle of Ma Griffe- but I already have two different formulations, so didn't pull the trigger.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

@ LiliB,

Ah, the perils of reformulation.

There was a suggestion that the 'new' owners of Carven would be going back to the old formula.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...dition_19.html

Which includes this commentary:

"Carven has had new owners since July 2008 and the proprietors want to go back to the roots of the historic label. They are planning to release an authentic version of Ma Griffe -- which is in dire need of it as it has been undone by blotchy reformulations lately -- as well as Eau Vive which will be released as an unisex scent."

I'm still waiting.

Sounds like PR Hype to me Dr Rudi. You know, newly employed middle management having a meeting, saying things like' We really must get back to our roots. We need ways to make our perfume more relevant to today's market. We might try a little fruit, perhaps some chocolate to woo the younger set.'

I see myself in the background scribbling frantically, taking the minutes of this impromptu brainstorming session. I've been there before, in a different context. I look across at my older colleagues, roll my eyes, and say, 'here we go again. New management, old song. These young devils wouldn't recognise history if it walked up behind them, and bit them on the behind.

Enough of my cynicism, yes I am truly getting old. I'll join the congregation waiting for change from above.