Code of Conduct

Default Focus on "i Profumi di Firenze", your views on those you've tried

Would appreciate your views on the esoteric and mysterious scents of i Profumi di Firenze, according to the site: the secret recipes of the perfumes used by 16th century princess Caterina dé Medici, after the big flood that devastated Florence the same year, finding in the mud an old renaissance manuscript caught away by the water. created by this Italian House.
    Specially the ones you have tried or own.
    The complete list of scents runs to more than 70, but the ones mentioned on Basenotes are:

Acqua Chiara
    Acqua di Firenze
    Agrumi di Sicilia
    Fresco di Vetiver
    Iris di Firenze
    Florentia 22
    Magnifico 9: Peperoncino 2007
    Miele Rosa 2007
    Muschio Bello 2007
    Spezie de Medici
    Tobacco
    Terra di Siena 2007
    Vaniglia del Madagascar
    Zenzero

Thanks to Foetidus, Hoos and Sirslarty for the info.

Default Re: Focus on "i Profumi di Firenze", your views on those you've tried

First of all, there's nothing 16th century about the perfumes. It's just marketing schtick, like with most other perfume houses. The intereting question, of course, is, are they any good? I was sorely disappointed in those I tried, with one exception. They may be OK for what little they cost in Europe, but IMO the quality (of those I've tried, somewhere between drugstore and designer) just can't keep up with the ridiculous price charged in the US.

Fresco de Vetiver - rather heavily inspired by GIT (see my review), but all in all quite nice.

Tabacco - Sweet cheap tobacco blossom, Boellis Panama is infinitely better, if you like this sort of thing.

Sandalo Indiano - A generic wood, no authentic sandalwood. Apparently they have a Mysore which is (closer to) the real thing, also twice the regular price.

Cuoio Russo di Russia - not a trace of birch tar, it's not Russian leather & unfortunately it's nothing else worth mentioning

Spezie de Medici - I honestly can't fathom comparisons of this with Creed's Orange Spice. It's fruit plus a chilipeppernote (and burns - it obviously contains capsaicin) and smells as if you've been lying in bell-peper flavored potato chips for two days.

Allegedly these are natural perfumes (at 20 Euros a bottle - hell yeah), but I'd rather invest my money in Primavera essential oils or serious natural perfumers such as Ayala Moriel or profumo.it
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I was sorely disappointed in those I tried, with one exception.
    My thoughts exactly. I sampled many of these at Barney's in Las Vegas this year. However, the only one I bought and really like is Terra di Sienna. I did own Brezza di Mare but recently "ebayed" it because I found it to lean a bit more to the feminine side. There are also many from the line I haven't tried but on the whole, I wasn't impressed with what I sampled.

Assessing it as a house, I would have to say that i Profumi di Firenze is not very impressive:

Acqua Chiara - washed out and way too expensive for what it delivers. Poor longevity.

Acqua di Firenze - I like it. Subtle, transparent, even. It's clean and refreshing achieved with florals and interesting green highlights. Longevity better that what I expected for such a light fragrance.

Agrumi de Sicilia - muddled notes, poorly balanced, cologny.

Fresco di Vetiver - Sharp, slightly raw vetiver incorporated in with lemon and spices. It reminds me of GIT and I don't like either one. Weak on longevity.

Specie de Medici - Over the top spices blast the opening then quickly settle down to a mild mannered skin scent (mild mannered except for the cayenne). I like the smell of it but I wouldn't wear it.

All in all, not very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Spezie de Medici - It's fruit plus a chilipeppernote (and burns - it obviously contains capsaicin) and smells as if you've been lying in bell-peper flavored potato chips for two days.
    Damn!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Well, it is time for another point of view.
    I own three i Profumi di Firenze, and I like them very much. Some of these I special-ordered from Italy, and I got a reasonable price on the package.
    * Incenso. My favorite. I love dry incense scents, and this is excellent.
    * Verde Bosco. A lovely green mediterranean-style scent, emphasis on vetiver
    * Magnifico I: Mirto Imperiale. I love dry myrtle scents, they are hard to find. Green, aromatic.
    With my order, I was sent several samples. I tried, and then gave to a lady friend, the Caterina di Medici. It is a lovely floral, with beautiful rose and lily of the valley notes.
    So I have been completely satisfied with everything I've tried. Admittedly they are much more expensive in North America than in Europe. But I find them to be of high quality, and the scents I sought out delivered. I find they all are distinctive, have character and for me they have good staying power.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 26th September 2008 at 12:06 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I sampled many of these at Barney's in Las Vegas this year. However, the only one I bought and really like is Terra di Sienna. I did own Brezza di Mare but recently "ebayed" it because I found it to lean a bit more to the feminine side. There are also many from the line I haven't tried but on the whole, I wasn't impressed with what I sampled.
    I sampled all of the ones they had at the Las Vegas Barney's also. I thought they were OK, but did not consider any bottle worthy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

It sounds to me like picking and choosing is the key. I knew they had a long list - but 70 is definitely getting up there. I get the impression that niche houses vary quite a bit on that number. At one end, the ones who only roll out their best (I'm thinking TDC or L'Artisan). At the other end - perhaps BPAL?

I haven't tried these yet, but I've heard good things. Terra di Sienna was one - I don't remember where I heard that, but at least two people. Now Fresco de Vetiver. And Hoos was rather taken with one of their aquatics, and I liked his reaction. In fact, I think he also liked Fresco, too, and some of the others.

I would like to go at this house armed with a list of about 5 that are likely to please.

As for the marketing story, I'm tempted to roll my eyes. The fact is, even if the story is perfectly true, it's risky to play such a story too hard. I'm not convinced that this is any more than what we see from certain other lines which shall remain nameless (despite my love for certain of their scents). The bottom line is the juice....

I've tried three:

Brezza di Mare-which is one of my favorite aquatic scents that I own and I wear quite a bit. I found this to be a change from most other aquatics out there. The mix of the salty accords with the light citrus makes this one special for me.

Ambra del Nepal- I like this one a lot and wore this twice in the spring/summer but feel it will really shine in the coming cooler months. This comes off as an almost perfect mix of light amber and vanilla on me

Vaniglia di Madagascar- This one was boring linear vanilla on me.

So I'm two for three and I would like to try Agrumi di Sicilia and Fresco di Vetiver but I'll probably wait until next year and warmer weather.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I'm sorry but I don't know any of them ...

Maybe my friend Nyneve does.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

THE VERDE!!!!!!!!!!

Do you hear me??? TRY THE FRININ' V-E-R-D-E!! It drives me crazy man!!! The Verde is spectacular.

I guess I should talk about why I like it, huh? It has a sparkling freshness with a mix of citrus but unlike a typical citrus that fades into woods orr florals, this scent mellows out with smoothgreen tea notes and keeps a smooth crispness. Its a breath of fresh air around you - all the time.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 26th September 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Blog Entries

iPdiF. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . . .

To be honest, I am enamored of this house because the first frag I fell in love with is from iPdiF. And they do have a unique quality - a rough, unfinished Italian quality that I really like. Many of their frags to remind me of specific places in Italy. So, I'm prejudiced, probably.

Made for the Medici? Just as believable as worn by Napoleon at Waterloo or by Cary Grant in "North by Northwest".

Cheap bottles? If that were a factor, no one would wear PdN or Ava Luxe.

Marketing/bottling/packaging is a poor way to judge a frag. If you like the juice, wear it.

Agrumi di Sicilia - I had looked far and wide for a limes that lasted. This was it. I bought a bottle of this blind (first blind buy) and was ecstatic. I can't imagine not having this in my wardrobe.

Brezza di Mare - Just read my blog post. It has a fairly potent effect on me, so is worn sparingly.

Ambre de Nepal - very nice, very lovely. But tainted by vanilla (not that the juice is tainted, I hate vanilla).

Fresco de Vetiver - Beautiful, crisp, light vetiver and citrus. (I honestly don't get the GIT reference to this. There's nothing about it of GIT, Cool Water, Aqua di Gio, et al. But if so and if their history is true, looks like the Medici beat the Creed.)

Costa Mediterranea - Reminiscent of Bulgari Black and nicely done, too. Not quite as "fisherman in port" as it has been portrayed.

Melograno Selvatico - a really nice pomegranate. Sadly, it has a short life.

I've tried quite a few of the frags from this house (20+ samples from Beautyhabit and some from TPC). Like any house, a few are great, some are nice, others are just meh, and a few seem poorly done.

They have a number of others I'd love to try when they make it to this side of the Atlantic (Verde Bosco, Legno Amaro, i Fiori del Cielo, etc.).

They're not "the best". But no one is. It is, however, a house worth exploring IMHO.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Just before I went on my holiday to Italy there was an other thread about this brand. I also remember that the_good_life didn't like em very much.

Fast forward to Italy where this stuff can be bought everywhere for very cheap. So off course I had to try some... Man, am I glad I listened to the_good_life then and didn't buy any of this blind, because they are just plain horrible! I mean it.

This may well be the most vile stuff I have ever had on my body. Never before have I had an allergic reaction to anything so far. Not from alcohol based colognes, nor from oils, not even from some 'cheap' knock-offs, but this stuff almost chocked me. It's poison.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I've only tried Ambra Grisea and Nero Muscherio from this line, but I have another few samples in the drawer waiting to be tested. The NM is deep smoky and very long lasting musk, but it is a little linear. The Ambra Grisea is one that takes some getting used to. This is a perfume that is heavy on the ambergris (or its synthetic analogs) and really comes into its own in the drydown. I'm not sure I'd buy a full bottle either of these but they are nice enough.
    Last edited by surreality; 27th September 2008 at 01:26 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

From the reviews these seem to standout for trying:
    Specie de Medici
    Acqua di Firenze
    Incenso
    Verde Bosco
    Magnifico I: Mirto Imperiale
    Terra di Sienna
    Fresco di Vetiver
    Brezza di Mare-
    Ambre de Nepal
    Agrumi di Sicilia
    Brezza di Mare
    Costa Mediterranea
    Ambra Grisea
    Nero Muscherio
    Last edited by afraafra; 27th September 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Afraafra : Good summary list.
    I tried Fresco di Vetiver today. Was not impressed. emphasis was on the "fresco" or fresh element which may be from violet leaves and/or mint. At times this smells like mint toothpaste. I don't get much or any vetiver. I like the ones I mentioned, this is the first that I don't like.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm wearing Magnifico No9: Peperocino as my SotD. I was expecting something spicier but to me it seems like a soapy, masculine light floral fragrance that gets a little spicier as it dries down. I'm enjoying wearing this but I think it would be a better warm weather fragance.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'm going to post a review of Costa Mediterranea, since it is not listed in BN.
    Lemons, bergamot, orange, vetiver.
    This has a nice lemony-citrus opening. It is a very light scent. Cool and airy, but not deliberately “fresh” like Fresco di Vetiver, despite having a similar short-list of notes. Settles down into a comfortable, earthy vetiver (not soapy like the vetiver in Fresco). This is one of their most popular men’s scents. I like it; it is pleasant… but not particularly memorable nor distinctive.

Also I'm going to downgrade my review of Fresco di Vetiver when the editing option returns. Upon second trial, I found it to be to too "fresh" in a tiresome minty way. I found the vetiver to be heavy and soapy in the drydown.
    odysseusm

The one I fully tried is Terra di Siena which I find beautiful. I have a few others to try but I'm not really running up to them. I gave them all a quick sniff but none really said TRY ME NOW.

I've tried only a few but my favorite of this line by far is Ambra del Nepal, I find it to be a wonderful, warm amber. On my skin it has a slightly dusty/smoky sweetness that is never cloying and it last all day on me. It's becoming one of my favorite comfort scents and I highly recommend giving it a try!

I'm wearing Incenso today, so I'll post some notes. This scent is not available in North America. For those in North America, you may (as I did) contact the American representatives and they can bring it or other scents from Italy as a special order.

Incenso has a **very dry**, woody/incense opening which persists throughout. I’ve been told by company representatives that this scent uses organic frankincense. I’d say that this is a soliflore type of scent, namely a single-note. That’s OK when the note is so strong and true, as it is here... truly a haunting frankincense note. Resinous, a bit smoky, lean verging on the austere. I find this type of scent very attractive and satisfying.

PS - I dealt with Rosie Babic, Isabella Imports.
    rosie@isabellaimports.com
    Last edited by odysseusm; 1st October 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added contact info
    odysseusm

Here is a review of Verde Bosco (Green Forest). This is not available in North America except by special order.

“A beautiful blend of scents from grapefruit, mandarin, basil, Florentine lavender and other wild flowers; with touches of musk, amber, vetiver and cedar wood.”
    This is a lovely and powerful green scent. It is EDP so it is substantial. I find the basil and vetiver to be the most prominent notes. They combine to give a herbal-grassy character, a walk in grassy fields more than through a deep dark forest. I enjoy this sort of scent (chypre) and this is a very good one. It is not complex, but it is satisfying.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 2nd October 2008 at 05:33 PM.
    odysseusm

Anyone tried Iris di Firenze????? I'm always on the hunt for the perfect iris, so I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about this one.

Only tried Tobacco & Fresco di Vetiver and wasn't thrilled with either.

AromiErotici

A very generous basenoter gave me a partial bottle of Dolce Patchouly a few years back.

I loved it. It smells like a combination of Italian Anisette and Zambuca liqueur. The patchouli is buried underneath and can't even be recognized as a patch fragrance.

I haven't pursued this house due to its price point and availability here in the US.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Generally unisex-wearable, competent construction with good quality ingredients. Some hits & misses, of course. Just like any other house. I've only tried:

Acqua Mirabile Odorosa
    Ambra di Nepal
    Bergamotto Calabro
    Tabacco
    Lavanda Azzura
    Costa Mediterraneo

AromiErotici

Has anyone in the USA used the tamtamtravel site to purchase this house?