Code of Conduct

Default What is the most haunting, bewitching and DARK fragrance?

I am looking for something dark, vampiric, and haunting. The darker the better. I gravitate towards spicy, tobacco tinged scents and darker orientals. Not opposed to gourmands, either. Also, major silage and longevity is a must. What do you suggest?
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

You must check out Midnight Poison.
    It's both dark, vampiric and haunting.
    It has KILLER longevity and MONSTER
    sillage, too.
    It's an almost evil smelling rose/patch frag,
    which is too dark and masculine for some
    women - and a fave of many men!
    It could easily have been launched as
    Poison pour Homme.

Default Re: What is the most haunting, bewitching and DARK fragrance?

I think that is the one Poison I haven't smelled! Hypnotic Poison was on my list to get- do you think this one beats that?
    — Marilyn Monroe

Duc will probably want my head for disagreeing with him, but I don't find Midnight Poison very dark, or long-lasting. And "evil"? ...I suspect he's a bit of a sucker for the gorgeous gothy Cinderella marketing campaign!

To my nose, MP (my favorite Poison, btw, which is why I feel okay about putting such a fine point on it, not just to pick on LGD) is all about the smooth patchouli and amber, with a touch of rose and vanilla. And it has a very fresh bergamot/mandarin opening which might also be keeping it from being very dark in my mind. It is, however, very sultry and beautiful, and I'll even agree with "haunting" but mostly because it doesn't last very long on me - with the lotion and edp I get about 4 hours out of it. And it has a nice, moderate sillage while it lasts.

I think Montale's Black Aoud might be just what you're looking for - bold, dark, dense, almost austere but elegant rose and oud that lasts and lasts ...and lasts! It's what I imagine Dracula wearing.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hillaire

I elect Maison Kurkdjian's Pour le Soir Absolue

I suggest Serge Noire. I bought a bottle specifically to wear to a Bauhaus or Cure concert, if I ever get to go to either of those. (also it was a good deal on ebay)

Ansynthe by Christian Lacroix
    notes: Absinthe, Freesia, Green anise, Orchid, Saffron, Narcissus, Ebony, Musk, Myrrh, Amber
    A BN friend sent me a sample...it is what I reach for when I want something "dark."
    Forever in search of Heartfelt....

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    I suggest Serge Noire. I bought a bottle specifically to wear to a Bauhaus or Cure concert, if I ever get to go to either of those. (also it was a good deal on ebay)
    Okay, the mention of the Cure and Bauhaus really make me want to try this one. I think someone has suggested that one to me before. Where can you find it? I am also dying to try Black Aoud and almost willing to blind buy based on what I have read. I will probably order a sample though from Scentbar. For $3 I may as well.

I also want to try Habanita, anyone have experience with that? I love me some good tobacco. And would you suggest the female or male version?
    — Marilyn Monroe

Oh yeah- and I got me a sniff of Midnight Poison today. Quite lovely, though I am not sure if I would consider it overly dark. I couldn't get a sample though, so I think that is what I need first. I got a lot of coca cola from it, actually. I did pick up my Hypnotic Poison. Also not dark, but basically a gourmand (root beer cream soda syrupy goodness!) in my opinion and I have to get a fix of that now and again too. : )
    — Marilyn Monroe

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo
    parfum d'habit by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

for swap/sale:

I wouldn't shy away from Czech and Speake's No.88 just because its marketed to men... many female BNers wear this too.
    Dank and Gothic as you can get!

I like the suggestion of Montale's Black Oud; dark, vampiric and haunting, yes. What you describe has to have rose in it. No. 88 is also quite dark and lovely. Vintage Montana Parfum de Peau is also quite amazing, but you need the vintage version.

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun. This is a dark rose leather. Perfect for both men and women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

*clicks on imaginary 'like' button for this thread*

I've never heard of Juliette has a Gun. That would have made a great band name though. : ) Makes me want to investigate that fragrance; I am a sucker for packaging!
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Duc will probably want my head for disagreeing with him, but I don't find Midnight Poison very dark, or long-lasting. And "evil"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    Oh yeah- and I got me a sniff of Midnight Poison today. Quite lovely, though I am not sure if I would consider it overly dark.
    OK! The you two lovely ladies are
    the first ones not to think it's dark.

Midnight Poison is eeevil!

Random quotes from the directory:

'... it smells like sex and smoke and death.'
    'I feel this scent a bit masculine but i like it a lot.'
    '... is a dark, seductive, sensual, creepy.'
    '... making it dark like "evil candy".'
    '... she tried it and did not like it saying "is to strong, dark and masculine".'

Don't worry Duc, I promise haven't written off MP yet! I have every intention of revisiting it and when I find a dept store that has a bottle I will ask for a sample. They only had one, small lowly tester at Sephora today, so I didn't ask. I have never actually asked for a sample at Sephora, not sure if they give them? Either way, smoke and death is EXACTLY what I want to smell like!
    — Marilyn Monroe

Don't worry Duc, I promise haven't written off MP yet!
    Attagirl!

Basenotes Plus

YES! Try Habanita...it's very long lasting even in the EDT version. Habanita is marketed to women but men wear it also. Have fun finding your dark fragrance
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Great thread! I am all for dark, evil and unsubtle!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Donna Karan Black Cashmere and Comme des Garcons Parfum
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Some people consider Dior's Dune a dark perfume. I'm wearing it today and, well, I don't know if I agree with that. I do wish I'd known about it when I was on my Great Aquatic Hunt last year.

I think Guerlain's Nahema is a dark perfume. I picture black roses in a moonlit garden whenever I wear it. I also second the JHAG Citizen Queen rec, although I think their Midnight Oud is darker. I thought Odin's 04 Petrana was dark in a juicy sort of way - dark berries and violets. Ginestet's Botrytis is pretty dark (honey and wine), and Aqaba (incense and florals) is as well. Comme des Garcons Avignon is dark and austere - think abandoned church. And I think Estee Lauder's Youth Dew is quite dark, but that could be the colour influencing my perceptions.

I agree with many of the previous suggestions: Black Aoud, Lady Vengeance, Black Cashmere, Serge Noire, Avignon, etc. Youth Dew smells evil to me although in a completely different way (Cruella DeVille ?) than the rest. Midnight Poison...not really evil in my mind, but I do love it. Smells more like the innocent Gothic victim heroine than the evil aggressor. You could also try original Poison.

Some new suggestions: Back to Black (not that dark or evil but really worth trying), Paestum Rose, Norma Kamali Incense, Andy Tauer L'Air du desert marocaine. When wearing the last two I was told several times that I smell like evil and death, and make people want to cry. NU edp might also be to your liking. I find it perfect for concerts. If you can find Ava Luxe's Midnight Violet, you will not regret it. And if you do, please sell it to me! And of course, Avignon is perfect. All the perfumes mentioned here are among my absolute favorite perfumes ever.

Lots of good suggestions here I particularly agree on #88, Avignon, Poison and Midnight Violet. I haven't actually tried Djedi (Guerlain),but it sounds like something you need to try.

Somebody said you smelled like evil and death when you were wearing L'Air du desert marocain?!?! I don't even know how to process that! But you're right to recommend it, it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Midnight Poison ... Smells more like the innocent Gothic victim heroine than the evil aggressor
    The Transsylvanian Princess says it best
    ... I can live with that description.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Random quotes from the directory:

'... it smells like sex and smoke and death.'
    'I feel this scent a bit masculine but i like it a lot.'
    '... is a dark, seductive, sensual, creepy.'
    '... making it dark like "evil candy".'
    '... she tried it and did not like it saying "is to strong, dark and masculine".'
    Wow, I see you're not the only one to be taken in by seductive marketing!

Like I said, I love Midnight Poison and I highly recommend it, but I'd bet few would find it very dark in a blind sniff. Seductive and sensual, absolutely. (What does "masculine" have to do with "dark"?)

The suggestion of Dune is a puzzler for me too, mel lou - haunting and mysterious it is, but it's also one of the most radiant fragrances I know of - honestly, its just the polar opposite of dark, imo.

Okay - I can agree with dd's quote, too! Lookit us, playing nice!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 23rd May 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    Somebody said you smelled like evil and death when you were wearing L'Air du desert marocain?!?! I don't even know how to process that! But you're right to recommend it, it's a good one.
    It definitely does not smell like that to me. I love it and I find it calming. In fairness, at least two complete strangers stopped me on the street to tell me I smelled wonderful. But two of my friends and my husband find it horrible, sad and depressing. "ugh, it smells like church and death" was about Laddm and "OMG, it smells like and old house, it reminds me of my dead grandfather, go away I feel like crying" was about Norma Kamali Incense. Different people. What can I say? I have outspoken friends.

The Transsylvanian Princess says it best
    ... I can live with that description.
    Sorry, Ducky, I don't think you can be the evil character. I think you would start giggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Wow, I see you're not the only one to be taken in by seductive marketing!

Like I said, I love Midnight Poison and I highly recommend it, but I'd bet few would find it very dark in a blind sniff. Seductive and sensual, absolutely. (What does "masculine" have to do with "dark"?)
    Maybe? But, believe it or not, I didn't see the
    commercial before sniffing the frag. I did read
    the directory, I think, so I could have been
    preconcieved by that.
    That said, it really is a daaark rose frag!

Masculine doesn't have much to do with dark,
    but, not that many female frags are dark.

Sorry, Ducky, I don't think you can be the evil character. I think you would start giggling.
    *giggles*

I wore Midnight Poison as my Halloween scent a couple of years or so ago. It went very well with my witch's costume. It is a bit too masculine for me for everyday wear, but it was perfect on Halloween night. The ad with Eva Green is very *pretty*. I don't think Midnight Poison is as pretty as that, but they have to try to mass market the stuff. What about some of the Tom Ford scents as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    What about some of the Tom Ford scents as well?
    When I first tried it I thought Black Orchid was too evil for someone to actually wear. Now I have a light version (for hair) and it is tolerable, but the regular one, might be exactly what she wants.

For a dark, decaying rose, how about L'Artisan Voleur de Roses?

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Basenotes Plus

This is a very intriguing thread. I find myself very curious about this MP. I've just texted my sister who is heading to Sephora this afternoon, asking her to get me a sample of it if she can.

Tons of great suggestions!!! Its funny someone should mention Habanita- according to Google shopping, Kmart carries it, so that is my lunch break plan for work today. If I can find it, I will be sure to report back.

I agree that Youth Dew is dark in a Cruella Deville way. A great fragrance, love that and Cinnabar!

Back to Black is darkish but on me the tobacco fades out and all I can really smell is honey. The adjectives being thrown out there of death, churches, smoke, etc., are the kind of dark I am looking for. Something gothic and ancient and witchy.

Black Orchid I have been trying to make my mind up about for 2 years. Jury is still out.

I am dying to try Black Aoud and the L’Artisan scents but have no idea where to get them, other than online. Does anyone know a store I can physically go into to sample these? I have tried Saks, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, etc., to no avail. I know Scentbar in Los Angeles carries them but I am about an hour and a half outside of LA so only go up there every so often.

I tried Bond No. 9 New Haarlem yesterday. Is Habanita along those lines? I didn’t find it as “dark” as just a sweet gourmand, but after the dry down there was a note that made it seem to me to really lean more towards the masculine side, although its unisex.

I am wearing Hypnotic Poison today and finding it really, really sweet. Who knows, I just may end up exchaning for Midnight.
    — Marilyn Monroe

Joining the *gigglers* here.

Agree with three people (LeGrand is NOT one of them) that CD MP is NOT dark or evil or mysterious.

Agree with E that "darK" and "masculine" is NOT the same.

Very politely disagree that L'AP Voleur de Roses is haunting bewitching and dark. It is youthful, even naive and luminous.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Agree with three people (LeGrand is NOT one of them) that CD MP is NOT dark or evil or mysterious.

Well, the Kmart nearest to me has closed down, and the next closest does not carry Habanita I found after a phone call. Shows how reliable Google Shopping is. I guess I will only find that one online. : (
    — Marilyn Monroe

Hadn't really considered Habanita dark, but I guess it could be.

Usually I consider some of the deeper florals to fall in that category. ALso if you love vampires and spice you might consider Potpourri by Santa Maria Novella. It is wacked out spicy as resinous. I can easily see vampires in this one. It's just too strong for me, however.

Okay, I am by no means an expert. Haven't sniffed most of the fragrances mentioned up til this point. But I have a sample that the description of this thread reminded me of it. Knize Ten. Heavy leather with some floral and amber to me that is dark, lasts long on me with good sillage and projection.

Regarding JHAG, I find Citizen Queen to be "bright" rather than dark - probably due to the aldehydes. I would say Lady Vengeance was darker - rose and patchouli.

smoke and death is EXACTLY what I want to smell like!
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    There was an earlier thread, I think on the men's board, where someone asked about the scent of pure evil. Salvador Dali pour Homme was the overwhelming response. I'm not sure you'll find it wearable though. Check out the reviews in the directory. I for one want to sniff it some day.

I find both Citizen Queen and Lady Vengeance to be very pretty and flirty, even bright ...certainly not dark or gothic at all. Midnight Oud is definitely JHAG's darkest, but not compared to other oudier ouds.

Ava Luxe has an interesting, dense and smoldery oud fragrance that could seem dark and gothic - Bois Foncι, I think it is (her site is down at the moment or I'd double check. darkdreams' suggestion of Midnight Violet is a good one, too.) But in general, I think incense, resin and oud fragrances would be your best bet.

Seconding Black Cashmere and adding the quintessential dark frag of them all: BANDIT.

I really want to try Bandit, have not found it anywhere yet. Does anyone know how Midnight Violette compares to Tom Ford's Black Violette? i already have that and am pretty satisfied with it.
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    There was an earlier thread, I think on the men's board, where someone asked about the scent of pure evil. Salvador Dali pour Homme was the overwhelming response.
    Yes, this does indeed smell like the burning brimstone of hell,
    so to speak. I can't imaging any woman wanting to wear it,
    though.

Yes, this does indeed smell like the burning brimstone of hell,
    so to speak. I can't imaging any woman wanting to wear it,
    though.
    I am curious! Very curious!

I really want to try Bandit, have not found it anywhere yet. Does anyone know how Midnight Violette compares to Tom Ford's Black Violette? i already have that and am pretty satisfied with it.
    I don't think the two are very similar and it would definitely be worth having both. Unfortunately, Midnight Violette is discontinued and very hard to find. I really wish I could get a bottle.

I am curious! Very curious!
    Count me in among one of the curious as well!
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Just read some of the reviews and eww no, I'll take Ducki's word instead.......count me out
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

I couldn't resist putting on some vintage Salvador Dali pour Homme.
    I have a vintage splash bottle.
    Even though it has that sweet smell of animal decay, I could actually
    see the right woman pulling this one off.

This monster of a perfume makes Midnight Poison smell like a light
    version of L'Air du Temps!

I think Montale's Black Aoud might be just what you're looking for - bold, dark, dense, almost austere but elegant rose and oud that lasts and lasts ...and lasts! It's what I imagine Dracula wearing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Black Aoud would be just the thing for scenting a casket
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Hopefully I might actually make an LA trip this weekend which means.... Scentbar!!! I will finally get to try the infamous Black Aoud! I wonder if they have Salvador Dali. Whether I decide I want to wear it or not, I NEED to know what pure evil smells like!
    — Marilyn Monroe

Blog Entries

Agree with Black Oud, and will strongly suggest Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. I have and love Black Cashmere, but it reminds me more of the Middle East than goth.

Scentbar is work a trip to LA by itself. Plan to spend at least an hour. Also, before you go, browse their website for other things you might like to try. I'd recommend the Comme des Garcons Incense series, Nasomatto Duro and Black Afgano, plus there are many other Montale oud scents worth exploring. Their website is luckyscent.com
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous