Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default New Fragrance: Prada Candy

From Now Smell This:

Prada will launch Prada Candy, a new oriental fragrance for women, in August. The new scent is reportedly excessive, impulsive and passionate, and marks a break with the existing Prada perfume line.

The notes feature a cocktail of musks, caramel and an overdose of benzoin.

Prada Candy will be available in 30, 50 and 80 ml Eau de Parfum and in matching body products. (via parfum-femme.prime-beaute)
    Sounds fab!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: New Fragrance: Prada Candy

Sounds like it will appeal to the mass market which is no bad thing I guess . Ive always thought that Prada womens fragrances were always so much better than the boring everything smells like soap mens ones they do

Basenotes Institution

Musks, caramel and benzoin sounds great to me - however what's with the name ??
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    It's an odd name for a Prada fragrance isn't it? I'm also very surprised that nobody has used the name Candy before. I suppose my username is going to take on a new meaning now LOL.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution

It is , Perfume Candy Boy !
    It's a bit of a break from their norm .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Mimi, I also wondered about this. I think Prada is trying to reach a younger female market.

This is not a bad thing. Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noir scents are sweet and yet refined.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sounds promissing, i liked the notes.

Is Drew Barrymore in the Ad??
    Last edited by d4N13L; 23rd May 2011 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Sounds promissing, i liked the notes.

Is Drew Barrymore in the Ad??
    I'm pretty sure that's Léa Seydoux, who's getting an unbelievable amount of hype at the moment.

Hmmm, this is such a 180 for Prada's perfume, when they as a brand are pretty ruthless with their image, unlike others. Even the name in that font seems too silly-looking. Not to over analyse, but seems like they might be desperate for some profit.
    I'm not sure I like either the bottle or her but if it's going to smell good, who cares.

The better view of the bottle plus the box from Fragrantica. Meh.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post

Thanks for that! I like the bottle (and box) much more now that I've had a better look at it. It all seems quite 'chic'.

I'm looking forward to this one Prada, don't let me down!

The box looks a bit cheesy. There's something both mod (the blunt bangs?) and excess 80s about the marketing image of this fragrance. Overall, however, I'm interested enough to give it a sniff. While I'm not wowed by all of Prada's fragrance offerings, I quite like the original Prada EDP and Eau Ambree.

The "umbrella" in the sprayer looks live VERY fragile.

This looks like bad top-down design; the name, the bottle, the packaging color and font all seem to have very little to do with one another.

Of course, if it smells great, all will be forgiven.

Basenotes Plus

I think it's about time Prada tried something new with their bottles, but I'm not sure this is the way to go.

CPB, the name Candies have been used before with the feminine and masculine versions, both are overly sweet and synthetic and normally I can pull both sweet and synthetic.

I will go against the mainstream and state the new Prada does not sound good at all with "cocktail of musks" -- what an eternity down from Prada di Prada.

Oh, yay! I can't wait to try it. I love sweet candy scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Of course, if it smells great, all will be forgiven.
    Indeed!

On the other hand, this almost feels like an April Fool's Day spoof. My first thought on seeing the box/bottle pic was..."Are they kidding?"

Sur la Plage

Has anyone tried this yet? I believe Neimans has the exclusive of it in the US.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tried it at Neiman's at King of Prussia a couple weeks ago. It is very sweet. I like gourmands and this was too sticky sweet to me. It's not awful, but it's not great either, imo. I'm sure they'll reach their target market and do pretty well with it. But I won't be buying a bottle--or a decant for that matter.

I can't wait to try it. I haven't tried La Petite Robe Noir either. I need to do some sniffas! Sweet is my thing.

Still don't care for the box. I'm tired of everything looking like Hello Kitty for little girls. I don't mind the bottle.

Does anyone know when and where Prada Candy will be available in the UK? I really, really want to try it as musk and benzoin are two notes that I love.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bagfish View Post
    Does anyone know when and where Prada Candy will be available in the UK? I really, really want to try it as musk and benzoin are two notes that I love.
    Towards the end of the month, I believe Boots will have it on 28 August.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Towards the end of the month, I believe Boots will have it on 28 August.
    Excellent news, it means I will be able to get to try it locally. Thanks very much for the info.

I went into my local department store (Beales) yesterday to ask if they would be stocking Candy, and the lovely SA said that they would be, and that the Prada rep had been in the previous week to demonstrate the perfume. She said she was really surprised by both the packaging and the scent, it being very unlike the normal Prada pefumes, and she was interested that I was so keen to try it as she was thinking that it wouldn't be very popular because of its young and girly packaging. She didn't know when it would be coming in, but took my number and said she'd phone when it arrived.

Imagine my surprise when I got a phonecall this morning, Prada Candy had arrived and there were samples available and they would keep one for me. So I went in at lunchtime and have finally got to test Candy.

First impressions: soft, with caramel and benzoin notes but not as sweet as the name and packaging would have you believe. On drydown, the caramel note pretty much disappears leaving a very soft musky skinscent with a hint of the earthy vanilla of benzoin, it's very lovely and very subtle. But after only two hours, the scent has nearly disappeared from the original spray, and the spray on my other wrist from the tester is fast drying down to a lovely skinscent, with wafts of benzoin occasionally appearing.

I do really like this, but it seems quite short lived (although it wasn't a particularly generous spray). It may be one of those scents which creeps back up on you after a while, and part of the problem was the SA aimed the spray wrong and it went mostly on my hand so it's probably rubbed off a bit. Despite the lack of longevity, I think I would like a bottle of this as it's so warm, huggy and comforting, nothing like the image of the sharply dressed Miss on the front of the box and will be lovely for winter.

Just sniffed the scent strip - definitely not for me. Candy is an appropriate name.

I tried this yesterday, and it reminded me very much of Dior Homme but without the lipstick note. Almost like the iris was sweetened and sharpened.

It was pretty nice, actually. I was surprised. I can't think of anyone I know offhand who it would suit but I enjoyed smelling it (on paper).

Blog Entries

It's an odd name for a Prada fragrance isn't it? I'm also very surprised that nobody has used the name Candy before. I suppose my username is going to take on a new meaning now LOL.
    Yeah - I was hoping this wouldn't be a stinker for your sake. The username is too cool to abandon under any circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post

Thanks for that! I like the bottle (and box) much more now that I've had a better look at it. It all seems quite 'chic'.

I'm looking forward to this one Prada, don't let me down!
    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    On the other hand, this almost feels like an April Fool's Day spoof. My first thought on seeing the box/bottle pic was..."Are they kidding?"
    Yeah, I thought it was a joke, too. My response was going to be "Woo-hoo! Chick it out!" I think somebody at Prada must have read some public image report that amounted to "Prada fragrance = predictable = uptight rich businesswoman" and decided to run totally in the opposite direction.

I cannot wait to try this. I'm almost ready to purchase blind, but I won't. I'll wait.

It's pleasant enough, but comes across as kind of wimpy and mushy - not my style.

Tried it on friday after spraying it on a strip. When I smelled it on my skin I thought "But I know this!" - and remembered. At least on my skin Candy is the twin of the Plaisirs Nature Vanilla scent by Yves Rocher (at least of the old version, I see it's been reformulated with organic vanilla - wahey!). So I was rather underwelmed. Especially since the Rocher lives in my bathroom as an airfreshner which I never use as the scent reminds me of a plastic cookie.
    Pity, I liked the dinky flacon of Candy.

Don't be scared off by the bottle and the silly imagery: it has the lovely woody/floral topnotes of L'eau Ambree and the benzoin is a dry, powdery riff on it. Not as thick and sweet as you'd think, it's more subtle and good-humoured. I was very surprised how much I like it; nothing earth-shattering, just pretty and comforting and warm. I think the name is a trick for mass appeal...

Quote Originally Posted by superdandelion View Post
    Don't be scared off by the bottle and the silly imagery: it has the lovely woody/floral topnotes of L'eau Ambree and the benzoin is a dry, powdery riff on it. Not as thick and sweet as you'd think, it's more subtle and good-humoured. I was very surprised how much I like it; nothing earth-shattering, just pretty and comforting and warm. I think the name is a trick for mass appeal...
    Do all of Prada's scents smell almost exactly the same? It's strange

Does anyone else get the uncanny similarity to Une Bois Vanille in the Candy's drydown? Hedonist thinks I'm crazy LOL

Well, let me first state that I am absolutely in love with the bottle and packaging and that has actually gotten rave reviews everywhere. The reasons I love it are that it is really unique, very different from everything else every created. It is meant to be retro 50's and that is what it is like, it is sort of big and bold in a 50's fashion but yet there are stilll unique touches to it. The only downside I find is that the bottle is not very practical, it would be hard to carry around in your purse without accidentally spraying it inside your purse.

I have thought about this scent for a couple of months and whever I do that the fragrance always ends up as one of my favorites. I lused to love certain gourmands, complicated enough ones that is. I have sort of gone a different way since then but Candy is so different from other gourmands which I think is in part due to the benzoin. The caramel and vanilla are lovely but definitely not overpowering, the drydown is definitely musky/woody like a skinscent but that subtle caramel note lingers around. I find that it actually lasts a really long time on me but you might want two sprays of it and I think any more sillage than what it has would be overpowering. That is what the problem often is with gourmands, it would be easy to get a sickening scent like Pink Sugar, however Candy is anything but. I think it is a wonderful winter scent, especially great for the holidays, seems to fit the mood perfectly. It will not be my HG (Love, Chloe is and Elie Saab) but it will be one I will keep in rotation and go back to when I am in that mood.

I love it. I was underwhelmed at first, but now I'm wearing it for the third or fourth time, and I must admit I love it. It is sweet but soft, very wearable, suits all occasions, and seems like a great scent for the holidays. I love sweet scents, but I'm a bit selective about which ones, and this one hits the mark for me.

Yes and I really liked the review of it that Octavian wrote on 1000fragrances, especially the statement that it breathes with your skin and becomes a part of you instead of you just wearing it, I find that really true. It is a great skin scent, sort of like Sensuous in a way, however, with a twist of the sweetness and benzoin. Really nice in cold weather, if you are feeling down, etc., it comforts you like no other.

Yes, OVincze, that is true! Skin scenty, and it is a bit like Sensuous, though I like this better. Will check out Octiavian's review.

I used Sensuous for two winters so I like it but I too prefer this because it has the unexpected twist of caramel, vanilla, benzoin, the similarities are in the drydown (the musks and woods). Yes, check it out, he has written some really good reviews.

I tried this last weekend at Nordstrom. I don't usually like gourmands or ultra-sweet, but actually the sweetness is pretty balanced with the warmth of the benzoin and musk, and after the first blast it gets a lot less sugary and just creamy and warm and snuggly. Definitely a fun, playful scent, but definitely NOT Britney Spears. If someone gave me a little bottle of this, I'd be very happy!
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

oops, posted twice.
    Last edited by Thalia; 14th December 2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: double post
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I tried this last weekend at Nordstrom. I don't usually like gourmands or ultra-sweet, but actually the sweetness is pretty balanced with the warmth of the benzoin and musk, and after the first blast it gets a lot less sugary and just creamy and warm and snuggly. Definitely a fun, playful scent, but definitely NOT Britney Spears. If someone gave me a little bottle of this, I'd be very happy!
    Oh good, BS scents get on my nerves as of late. Now I am interested in sampling this!

This has been my holiday party go to scent. My only problem with it is its staying power. I've been wearing the lotion, which helps a little. The lotion is great, too. This one is in my top five rotation these days--light, flirty and soft.

Is the lotion nice? I read I think on NST that the lotion smells bad, I was really interested in the lotion as I thought this would be a great layering scent. I got the shower gel as a gift with purchase when I got the EDP, one perfumery had that and a coupon the other had the lotion but no coupon, so I went with the coupon and shower gel as I got 15 off on the EDP too this way. Have not tried the shower gel yet but thought a lotion or cream would be wonderful to layer with, I think this is a great winter scent without being tacky like most sugary scents. May I ask what your other fragrances in rotation are?

Blog Entries

I gave it two full wears and I liked it. The top notes were fruity and reminded me of Sensual Amber's opening notes. That is the extent of the similarity, though, because the drydown gets much less sweet and more sophisticated than the Sensual Amber. My complaint? Not enough projection for me.

Are you experiencing the same? Or am I anosmic to some of the ingredient(s) of the "cocktail of musks"?

Yes, it has been stated on many forums and in reviews that the sillage is not great, however, in my opinion this was exactly the idea. We were supposed to get a fragrance which is somewhat sweet with caramel and vanilla, however, a drier and more oriental drydown with musks, woods and lots of benzoin to counteract the sweetness and thus create a frag which has gourmand notes but without the tackiness and to further support the idea I think it was not supposed to have great sillage, in my opinion, for the reason that if you were to wear a loud sugary fragrance that would definitely qualify as kitsch, no? At least this is what I think. The scent lingers around for a very long time and you get a sniff when you move but it is definitely not loud, which I personally do not mind as otherwise it might be sickening or cheap. Again, just my two scents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    The scent lingers around for a very long time and you get a sniff when you move
    I would've liked this result.
    I can only smell it when I stick my nose to my clothing, unfortunately, and that is not enough for me. I don't need a loud sillage, but I do want to smell myself when I move.

If someone has any shareable amounts, please send me a drop.

Warum, I would suggest that maybe try spraying a bit more or what I do is normally spray and walk under the fume already dressed and put a bit on the nape of my neck under my hair as hair really holds fragrance better. I do understand that you want to smell yourself, it is important to me as well though of course we get used to the scent and smell it less as the day goes on. I always carry perfume with me and spray more as it wears off. Since I did not want to ruin the gorgeous bottle I asked for some samples and I carry those around but noticed that this fragrance does last well on me, however, as I have said I maybe using more than most people. I never use just a spray of a perfume I always do at least 4-5 in the morning and spray my coat and scarf a bit as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    If someone has any shareable amounts, please send me a drop.
    Wolfie, I do, absolutely. I'll be making packages for you and K anyway Need to send y'all my report, will get to it on Sunday, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    Warum, I would suggest that maybe try spraying a bit more or what I do is normally spray and walk under the fume already dressed and put a bit on the nape of my neck under my hair as hair really holds fragrance better.
    Aha, so clothes is the answer. Ineke comes to mind, her perfumes also perform best sprayed on clothes, at least in my experience. Will try that as well. Usually I spray on my body, and yes, when I give a fragrance a full wear, I always spray on the back of my head where the hairline stops, I love that trick!

Yeah, I love that trick too, maybe that and clothes is the key, that could be why I am selling it on myself))

What other fragrances do you like at the moment? Sorry, this may be the wrong place to ask questions, I have only started using this forum recently, have to get more familiar with it, I usually use other sites.

Blog Entries

Thank you for asking and welcome to Basenotes!
    I do love some floral aldehydes now (Chanel #5 and #22), having a serious love affair with a leather fragrance from Histories de Perfums -- 1740, and my two all time favorites are YSL Yvresse and Ormonde Jayne Tolu.

You can send me private message any time, so we won't hijack Prada Candy thread. We also can get questions, answers and general talk in our SOTD (Scent of the Day) threads in female fragrance forum. Check one out, I think you will like it!

Ok, will definitely do that as I do not want to hijack this thread)) I am wearing Candy today but will check the scent of the day forum. Let me know how it goes with spraying Candy on clothes.