Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Chanel: No 19 Poudre and Jersey

From Fragrantica:

Jacques Polge, in-house perfumer for Chanel, gave a big interview for the Woman Wear Daily magazine. Along with his thoughts about today's perfumery, and his own experience at Chanel, Jacques announced launching of two new perfumes by Channel this fall (2011). One of them named Jersey, after Coco Chanel's favorite textile, will join Les Exclusifs collection. The other one is a powdery musky version of Chanel No 19, named No.19 Poudré.

"We’ve found some new musks that are very interesting, and we are working a lot at the moment on iris, which is a very important ingredient in No.19 Poudré. We have our plantations in Grasse, with rose and jasmine, and we’re trying to find new qualities in those. But we’re also trying to reproduce what was done 40 years ago, that nobody does anymore". Jacques Polge for wwd.

Iris is the central ingredient of the fragrance, along with several "new interesting musks", found by the perfumer. Talking about iris, the perfumer pointed out it is a very demanding ingredient. First of all, it's hard to source, because anything can affect the final quality of the oil, including climate and soil. Secondly, processing of iris is very time and labor-consuming process, which lasts a couple of years. However, Chanel never made a single compromise about the quality of her (their) perfumes. The new No.19 Poudré unites the latest technology advances (musks) and the best that can be achieved in a good old artisanal way.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Chanel: No 19 Poudre and Jersey

Very interested in both these new additions at Chanel. Thanks for the extra info!
    I wonder what 'Jersey' will smell like.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks for the info - sounds good to me.

I'm very curious about these. Although I can't help but wonder if the name Jersey might have unintended associations to many USians.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Although I can't help but wonder if the name Jersey might have unintended associations to many USians.
    *LOL* I did think of that too.

I like to use: USters... hehehe. And I thought about the Jersey shore too... terrible! I know.

Actually No19 Poudre is out here in the UK on 15th July. A magazine had a full page add on it Grazia UK, even offering a pre booking for it. Its on preview in Selfridges from the 1st June and costs £61.
    Last edited by donna255; 23rd May 2011 at 10:13 AM.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Be still my beating heart- the #19 flanker sounds awesome.

Jersey, after her favorite fabric, eh? Hope it something fluid and forgiving, not skin-tight a la the other nouvelle jersey-ers.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Oooh these sound very interesting!
    Especially the No19 poudre
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I've been on the fence about replenishing my beloved no. 19 since it is so steeped in nostalgia ... maybe the new version will be the answer!
    Hope springs eternal.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I wish I could get excited about it, but I can't help but think No.19 Poudre is going to be what Coco Mademoiselle is to Coco, or a No.19 for people who don't particularly like the original, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I think No.19 is perfect as is and I love its various concentrations/formulations, but I don't think I need a light and fresh one.

I'll give it a chance of course, but outside of Les Exclusifs, I haven't loved a Chanel release since Coco, so my expectations have been low for a while. However, I'm very interested in finding out more about Jersey!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Ever pessimistic, I still look forward to smelling them. I expect the synthetic musks will smell more synthetic, and I'm suspicious that a powdery quality will drag No. 19 in the opposite direction of what I thought its best qualities. I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Thanks for the scoop, alfarom.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I wish I could get excited about it, but I can't help but think No.19 Poudre is going to be what Coco Mademoiselle is to Coco, or a No.19 for people who don't particularly like the original, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I think No.19 is perfect as is and I love its various concentrations/formulations, but I don't think I need a light and fresh one.

I'll give it a chance of course, but outside of Les Exclusifs, I haven't loved a Chanel release since Coco, so my expectations have been low for a while. However, I'm very interested in finding out more about Jersey!
    same here

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I don't find No. 19 that wearable on myself so I'm very curious - musks and iris sound lovely. Here's hoping. Since I have no idea what Jersey will smell like, nothing to tickle my imagination, I'm less curious about it for now.

Good to see no one made any cheap/passe jokes about New Jersey... oh wait. Then again I live here so I know the real thing compared to pop culture gross exaggerations and stereotypes.

As for the perfumes, I'm on the fence with No. 19 though curious about the incorporating of several "new interesting musks" even if it does sound a little gimmicky. And as for Jersey, I'll wait until more information is leaked, though I have to say, I quite like the name.

Basenotes Institution

Article on No.19 Poudre and perfume
    http://lachanelphile.com/2011/05/25/...for-fall-2011/

Interesting interview, thanks Mimi!

I tried Poudre side by side with No.19 EDP today. It's perhaps misleading to sniff 'em in the store as I did: the Poudre opens with a very muted version of the icy green blast of 19 and seems rather pale and lacklustre in comparison - like 19 turned down so as not to offend. I tucked both the sample cards in my pocket and went home.

At home, hours later, the awesome, thrilling intensity of the 19 has mellowed down - but the Poudre seems to have rallied. Its strengths - a lovely, rather delicate musk and the creamy, powdery iris - show up better it seems when you're not comparing them to the top notes of the original.

I gotta get some 19 though. Marvellous stuff.

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the update Ralph ^ ^ ^ How does it compare to FM Iris Poudre, BTW?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus

Ms Mimi- thanks for posting that article.

I was struck that in the last line, Maitre Polge made this remark:

"Being sure of yourself and doing creative work is a fatal combination. You always have to doubt."

wow - that was very similar to a remark that J C Ellena told the trainees in the 2nd episode of the BBC Perfume series-

Very cool insight into two genius noses at work....

Edited to add- Welcome GotMilk?
    Last edited by knit at nite; 16th July 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Any Chanel Iris combo is worth a sniff to me. I hold no allegiance to #19 and would sniff the new version on it's own.

I tried it yesterday. Infact it was in Boots the chemist!!!!

I found its fresher and the iris came out more on me that normal No19. Infact the iris made me think of 28 La Pausa, that root earthy like iris feel. Strange in classic no19 the iris never really came out on me at all. I used to be confused by people talking about the iris in it.
    DONNA

Hi there, I've just sampled Poudre too. And its smooth (as you'd expect), and yes powdery, but what I really got was lipstick! Really old fashioned, red, waxy make-up. Turning into soft, warm musk. Not unpleasant and despite this it still feels quite a modern, young scent (further highlighted by the fresh green colour). I'd try it again.
    I always ask myself... 'Could you wear it with a hangover?'

Tried it yesterday, and couldn't help drawing comparisons between it and the fairly new Infusion d'Iris EDT - a powdery iris that is moderately sweet, like a scented foundation or a lipstick mentioned above. Disappointed, but not surprised by it at all.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    "Being sure of yourself and doing creative work is a fatal combination. You always have to doubt."

wow - that was very similar to a remark that J C Ellena told the trainees in the 2nd episode of the BBC Perfume series.
    That whole doubt/confidence teeter-totter perspective is interesting. Thanks for pointing it out, Knit.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Very interested in those new musks. Jersey...hmm...(sorry, I know, I know).

Also, Eau Première is a great fragrance (to some of us). There is hope that the new version of No. 19 will also be good. Can't wait to try both.

Tried Jersey at Selfridges yesterday. The first impressions are - a very gentle lavender with a base of what I was told was some special sort of vanilla. I'm pretty sure that the SA mentioned white musks as well, which I could smell very faintly. The drydown was a very sweet vanilla, but not sugary sweet, more on the creamier side if that makes sense. Very simple, but elegant.

I got a sample of the Poudre today. Its an actual mini 1.5ml Chanel bottle and the card unfolds with the number 19 popping up. Sorry but I thought it oh so cute. LOL

Oh Jersey does sound very intresting, I love lavender. Actually les*lucioles from your description it sounds like Gris Clare by Serge Lutens.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Oh Jersey does sound very intresting, I love lavender. Actually les*lucioles from your description it sounds like Gris Clare by Serge Lutens.
    It's actually nothing like Gris Claire. It's a very soft and mellow lavender, almost like it was diluted. Gris Clair's lavender is chilly with a smoky, dark base - Jersey's complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post
    It's actually nothing like Gris Claire. It's a very soft and mellow lavender, almost like it was diluted. Gris Clair's lavender is chilly with a smoky, dark base - Jersey's complete opposite.
    Thanks for sharing your impressions here!
    You make Jersey sound very yummy for me. I will definitely check this out.l

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post
    Tried Jersey at Selfridges yesterday. The first impressions are - a very gentle lavender with a base of what I was told was some special sort of vanilla. I'm pretty sure that the SA mentioned white musks as well, which I could smell very faintly. The drydown was a very sweet vanilla, but not sugary sweet, more on the creamier side if that makes sense. Very simple, but elegant.
    Sounds...amazing. Any aldehydes by any chance?

My favorite SA at by favorite dept store all but showered me today from a pre-release bottle of the new 19 poudre.
    She wanted to show me the diffuser feature on the spray--which is quite nice.

The very top notes are much like those of the 19 we know and love (or not), but they dissipate *very* quickly. The poudre is indeed more powdery, irisiy, smoother-edged. It lacks that bitter edge that gives 19 its signature, its bones--and that makes you love or hate it.

A fuzzy kitten of a 19, but you can tell they are related. I'm really loving it in the 102-degree heat.
    [Note: lots of vetiver in the drydown]

I seem to do well with the modern tone-downs of the Chanel icons (Eau première, for example). Overall, this one is a bit too powdery for me,but I think it is a good composition, worth a try. I would guess die-hard 19-ers will find the 19 poudre too much of compromise.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 1st August 2011 at 12:22 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I smelled Poudre at Saks a few days ago on a blotter card..... I really liked this.....Poudre smelled like something my Wife would really like..... I will have to sample Jersey when it comes my way..... Jersey sounds really nice also.....Gary

Received a sample of No.19 Poudre from a recent Chanel order, and didn't like it at first. I could barely smell it, and it lasted all of 20 minutes. My skin chemistry must've been REALLY off that day as today it's a beautiful powdery iris with a small bite of green (no stabby greens like No. 19 EDT) and loads of the nummy soft leather I get in Cuir de Russie minus CdR's slight fecal note. It's been on for at least 4 hours and still going strong. Not sure how others are getting lipstick/foundation, but I want to spritz this on my bed and roll around. I think I just found my happy spring scent!

I can't wait to try Jersey, lavender + vanilla is my favorite combo and with the Chanel touch I may just forgo ever getting By Killian's A Taste of Heaven and just pick up Jersey for my lavender vanilla fix. Not to mention that with the money saved I could pick up one more Exclusif...been meaning to grab Coromandel for some time now.

Any more "Jersey" sightings/testings??

I'm going to Rome soon, and I hope I can find Jersey at the Chanel boutique... Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hello, I spent an evening with Jersey recently after popping into Selfridges to hang around the Les Exclusifs counter! I doused myself with it before going out for dinner.
    The name is rather fitting actually because I spent all night believing I was wearing very expensive clothing... Yes, it smells extraordinarily expensive, understated, smooth, clean, luxurious, as you'd expect but it was also creamy and 'full' - Jersey with a cashmere touch perhaps!
    Longevity was good for me but I had no comments.
    I doubt I would buy this (the range is so pricey) but I was happy to be wrapped up in my Jersey for the night.

Ventured out to the Chanel Boutique today. Had a stressful morning so needed some high end aromatheraphy at lunch. I came away with samples of Jersey, No 18, No 22 and Gardenia. I also wanted to get Eau de Cologne, somehow that one didnt make it into my goody bag. But I am extremely happy with my score. Can't wait to try Jersey. It smelled amazing on the card. Soft, creamy and elegant. Will road test this week. Yay!!!

No 19 Poudre has most relation to No 19 EdP, not at all to the EdT and some to the perfume. Poudre is in fact really nice! Smother, more gentle and warmer than the EdP, and easier to wear.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta View Post
    No 19 Poudre has most relation to No 19 EdP, not at all to the EdT and some to the perfume. Poudre is in fact really nice! Smother, more gentle and warmer than the EdP, and easier to wear.
    I love it. For me it has a wonderful, soft, classy aroma somewhere in between no. 19, no. 5 Eau Première, venerable no. 5, and Infusion d'Iris. Powdery iris and powdery musks added to no. 19 in a way which leaves just the right amount of green. Really nice. And I think I see the connection to Cuir de Russie as well. It powders up no. 19 somewhat in the way that Allure Homme Édition Blanche powders up the lemony Allure Homme Sport versions. The balance is very nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by perfumenut View Post
    Any more "Jersey" sightings/testings??
    I have a sample on the way. I will report as soon as I try it. Thank you GalaBrand and les*lucioles for your impressions on Jersey. I am not very fond of lavender fragrances. I love most of what Kilian does, but ATOH is my least favorite, not because it is not a good perfume, it is simply my bias with lavender. However, I am anxious to try Jersey.
    Evenstar

I'm enjoying my sample of Poudre. Its very much going down the same route as Cristalle Eau Verte- tart citrus, fresh, vibrant and sparkling, contrasting with a soft powderiness that replaces the smokiness found in the EDP. Iris replaces the rose in the drydown, and the musks are soft and sublime. I think the longevity is very reasonable, lasting a good 6 or so hours on me.

For those who dont get on with greens too well, this one is a definite must-try. No.19 is as green as I like to get, and then only when I am really in the mood. Poudre makes wearing green, effortless and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I have a sample on the way. I will report as soon as I try it. Thank you GalaBrand and les*lucioles for your impressions on Jersey. I am not very fond of lavender fragrances. I love most of what Kilian does, but ATOH is my least favorite, not because it is not a good perfume, it is simply my bias with lavender. However, I am anxious to try Jersey.
    Hi, I too am not massively fond of Lavender and find scents like Gris Clair and Encens far too harsh - but this is no where near that and certainly worth a try even if you are not a fan. Its lavender lite wrapped up in a plush silk bow... Enjoy your sample x

I received my sample today!!!!

I immediately sprayed and I loved it. Does anybody know what are the notes, besides lavender and vanilla. To my nose, the start was something like bergamot, then came vanilla, then a tiny bit of lavender and iris. It is airy and classy, very Chanel, I think this perfume is perfect for Les Exclusifs, most of them seem very simple and yet elegant. It reminded me a little of Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris (I am not sure if that is the name), the one with iris and vanilla, but I like Jersey better.
    Evenstar

As a fan of Lavender and also Les Exclusifs in general I'm very interested to try Jersey - it still hasn't shown up here but is due soon, I'm told. I've been exploring the less obvious renditions of lavender lately (Brin de Reglisse and Kiki) and I'm intrigued to see where Jersey will sit in amongst these and the other 'classic' lavenders like Pour Un Homme and so on. Enjoying reading people's impressions so far

I belive white musks is listed. I am a lavander fan so am really interested in Jersey. I own Pour Un Homme(which turns into a vanilla fragrance on me quickly).
    DONNA

I had the chance to smell the Poudré today - first on card and then on my friend's (woman) skin. I was quite impressed... a very nice iris root on card and wonderfully balanced iris - poudre on skin. I am not terribly fond of the green harshness of the original 19. In general, I am not the biggest of iris (if center focus) fans either, but this is just lovely!

That's encouraging to hear, Larimar. Iris poudre is one I am eager to sample when I get to NOLA. No. 19 is one of my longstanding loves, since the seventies, so I am unsure how I will respond to this.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sitting here sniffing a touche / scent-strip of Jersey which I picked earlier today.
    I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest. I get a soft lavender over a not too sweet vanilla base. Perhaps a hint of iris lurking in the drydown. That's it.
    I don't know. For me, it doesn't even come close to matching the complexity or brilliance of say, 31 Rue Cambon. Put another way, if I passed somebody in the street wearing this, I don't think my olfactive interest would be piqued.
    I hope I'll come back in a few weeks after repeated testings and eat my words.

Edit: Just noticed Arwen_Elf also mentions iris in her post.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 17th September 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Sitting here sniffing a touche / scent-strip of Jersey which I picked earlier today.
    I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest. I get a soft lavender over a not too sweet vanilla base. Perhaps a hint of iris lurking in the drydown. That's it.
    I don't know. For me, it doesn't even come close to matching the complexity or brilliance of say, 31 Rue Cambon. Put another way, if I passed somebody in the street wearing this, I don't think my olfactive interest would be piqued.
    I hope I'll come back in a few weeks after repeated testings and eat my words.

Edit: Just noticed Arwen_Elf also mentions iris in her post.

No, it is not complex like 31 Rue Cambon or Coromandel. I would put it in the same airy category as 28 La Pausa or No. 18. However, unlike 28 La Pause and No. 18, it has good sillage and it lasted all day on me, I could smell it after 10 hours. Maybe it is better on skin? I don't do very well smelling things on strips. No, I have to qualify that. A strip will indicate if I need further review. If I absolutely hate the strip then I don't try it on skin.
    Evenstar

I can never understand people saying 28 La Pausa or No18 have no longevity or sillage I get it and a good 6 hours plus from both.
    DONNA

You are lucky. I like them both, but I wonder if my skin is dry and that's why they don't last. I am very fond of La Pausa.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I love it. For me it has a wonderful, soft, classy aroma somewhere in between no. 19, no. 5 Eau Première, venerable no. 5, and Infusion d'Iris. Powdery iris and powdery musks added to no. 19 in a way which leaves just the right amount of green. Really nice. And I think I see the connection to Cuir de Russie as well. It powders up no. 19 somewhat in the way that Allure Homme Édition Blanche powders up the lemony Allure Homme Sport versions. The balance is very nice, too.
    This. +1

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Stumbled across a couple of No.19 poudré videos on youtube: The first with Christopher Sheldrake (French with English subtitles), the other with Jacques Polge (French with Russian subtitles - three parts):

thanks for posting these videos, gandhajala

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Stumbled across a couple of No.19 poudré videos on youtube: The first with Christopher Sheldrake (French with English subtitles), the other with Jacques Polge (French with Russian subtitles - three parts):
    Great stuff! Chanel has their own iris fields now?! Wow!

Basenotes Institution

I got an email from Chanel.com today - I believe Jersey is now available online in the US.
    Frankly, I dare not go to the website and look ..in case I do a blind buy. *LOL* Someone go look for me !

Ah!!!!! Not fair late October here in the UK, I want a sample now!!!!
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Donna- it really sounds lovely- the lavender - vanilla - musk done Chanel style. *sigh*
    I am really trying hard not to do a blind buy..............

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I got an email from Chanel.com today - I believe Jersey is now available online in the US.
    Frankly, I dare not go to the website and look ..in case I do a blind buy. *LOL* Someone go look for me !
    Oh, it's there!!

I'm a bit nervous frankly...after the No. 19 letdown, I fear the worst. I'm still dying to try it though.