Code of Conduct

Default Best for men 5 designer summer scents and niche summer scents. For a college newspaper

Hi guys,

eventhough I don't post here alot, practically nothing, I still do enjoy lurking around and reading this forum. I'm a huge perfumholic and I love the interesting world of perfume, smell and notes.

I'm an editor at a college newspaper and I finally got the approval to write an article (500-600 words) about perfume, I'm totally free in the approach aswell. So I figured I'd write a witty intro, some basic knowledge about perfume (The pyramid, differences between edc and edp etc) and finally to end it all with a men top 5 of Designer and Niche summer scents. So here's where your help is needed, what would be your top 5 summer scents (for men) in the designer and niche categorie?

The designer I got down, but I'm still looking for some input. Niche I'm still working on, preferably the niche fragrances that the local store here sells. From memory it's Montale, Juliette has a gun, Byredo, Serge Lutens, By Killian, Knize, Diptyque, Kurkdjian and a couple more that I forgot. I'd suggest nothing like Xerjoff or Amouage, considering it is a newspaper meant for collegestudents.

Designer top 5

5. Eau Savage
    4. Eau Fraiche
    3. L'eau D'issey pour homme
    2. Vetiver, Guerlain
    1. Terre d'Hermes

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Default Re: Best for men 5 designer summer scents and niche summer scents. For a college newspaper

Suggestions for the designer five (I would cut Eau Fraiche, TdH and L'eau d'Issey):
    Aramis Havana
    Bleu de Chanel or Egoiste Platinum (not Chanel's best, but summer-appropriate and inoffensive)
    A Guerlain eau de cologne (du Coq or Imperiale)

Default Re: Best for men 5 designer summer scents and niche summer scents. For a college newspaper

Designer: Kenzo Power EDT (fresh floral), Solo Loewe EDC Intense (fresh aquatic), La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum (light oriental)

Niche: Penhaligon's Endymion (fresh gourmand)

For Designer, I would go for more mainstream stuff with more variety

Mugler Cologne - Green/Soapy
    Bvlgari Aqua - Aquatic
    Prada Amber - Floral/Soapy
    Guerlain Homme - Woody/Green/Boozy
    Escada Magnetism - Coke in a bottle (for the night out)

Something a little like this.

Niche.
    Virgin Island Water by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Sel Marin by Heely
    Erolfa by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed

Designer.
    Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
    Allure Sport by Chanel
    Bleu de Chanel by Chanel
    Allure Edition Blanche by Chanel
    Dior Homme Sport by Dior
    -AVENTUS-

I'd take Guerlain out because it isnt a design house.

For summer you should not be without Davidoff cool water.

Lol DavidBee... 4 creeds?

From what I know of the houses you listed, Diptyque would seem the most appropriate for summery scents. I'd say Philosykos and Tam Dao.
    Lutens you could probably get away with Fleurs de Citronnier
    I've never tried MFK, but I'm thinking the colognes would be a good bet.

Beyond the constraints of your local stores, you could probably go with Aventus or GIT from Creed
    Lots of stuff from Jo Malone and L'Artisan Parfumeur are summer-friendly imo, and Goutal has quite a lot of citrusy frags

Since it's a college paper why don't you use this as an opportunity to educate a little bit. Instead of giving them just a bunch of names for them to go buy you can try to impart some wisdom.

Introduce some situational use like daytime office/class, romantic event, professional, casual... things like that. So the young people start to get an idea of a few different colognes can cover a bunch of different settings.

Invite them into the world of understanding some basic fragrance nuances such as notes and development through the opening, heart and base. It doesn't have to get so deep or preachy but just slide in the lexicon we take for granted here on basenotes but could open some of these young minds to more than just 'panty dropper' mode.

It could be a chance to be really a great way to set some people on the fragrant path or it could just wind up being another list of names to go to the mall and buy.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Since it's a college paper why don't you use this as an opportunity to educate a little bit. Instead of giving them just a bunch of names for them to go buy you can try to impart some wisdom.

Introduce some situational use like daytime office/class, romantic event, professional, casual... things like that. So the young people start to get an idea of a few different colognes can cover a bunch of different settings.

Invite them into the world of understanding some basic fragrance nuances such as notes and development through the opening, heart and base. It doesn't have to get so deep or preachy but just slide in the lexicon we take for granted here on basenotes but could open some of these young minds to more than just 'panty dropper' mode.

It could be a chance to be really a great way to set some people on the fragrant path or it could just wind up being another list of names to go to the mall and buy.
    Wholeheartedly agree with Pipsta! Take the opportunity to introduce some people to basic notions of notes and development, which many have never considered and are vital to being a fragrance consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bogey View Post
    Designer top 5

5. Eau Sauvage
    4. Eau Fraiche
    3. L'eau D'issey pour homme
    2. Vetiver, Guerlain
    1. Terre d'Hermes
    Cheers!
    i really like the top 5 designers you have selected.. i dotn think i would change any of them..

from Niche line, you may want to sample
    Amouage (reflection),
    Diptyque (l'eau),
    Serge Lutens (5'0 clock gingerembre)
    Kurkdjian (cologne soir)
    Montale (black oudh)

black oudh maybe the most outlandish suggestion.. but hey.. it's a wonderful fragrance..

all the best with your article!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Designer

1) Allure Édition Blanche
    2) Dune pour Homme
    3) Platinum Égoïste
    4) Insensé
    5) ??? I like 'em strong and heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBee456 View Post
    Something a little like this.

Niche.
    Virgin Island Water by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Sel Marin by Heely
    Erolfa by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed

Designer.
    Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
    Allure Sport by Chanel
    Bleu de Chanel by Chanel
    Allure Edition Blanche by Chanel
    Dior Homme Sport by Dior
    Like your choices.

Niche:
    Sel Marin
    Tirrenico
    Erolfa
    Jardins De Kerylos
    Yuzu Ab Irato

Designer:
    Insensè
    Muglier Cologne
    Eau Sauvage
    KenzoAir
    Roadster

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

philysokos by diptique is great for summer. I'm struggling to think of any from serge lutens or Juliette has a gun that are great mens summer scents. If you have Annick Goutal, maybe Eau D'hadrien or Ninfeo Mio

(By Killian is also really expensive, i think even more than amouage)

your designer top 5 looks good to me, accessible but not bottom of the barrel (like escada, cool water, etc.).
    I mean it should be an aspirational article, not just what they already own.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelca View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with Pipsta! Take the opportunity to introduce some people to basic notions of notes and development, which many have never considered and are vital to being a fragrance consumer.
    +1 = 3. It could be the right time to tell people, that it is not - by no means - feasable to add a 'fresh' fragrance to occasional body odor. I like body odor, but 'fresh' fragrances render it annoying. The more so with modern everlasting sporty fresh razor sharp masculines.

Fresh aka summer =>

short lived aromatics, citric, leaves, lavender, simple (classic colognes, Sisley Eau De Campagne etc)
    *OR*
    a fragrance with a rich development from whatever fresh to a timid 'oriental', herbal, spicey even 'animalic' base (green Chypres like Givenchy III, fougeres like Azzaro Pour Homme, much more accentuated but true to the concept ELdO - Vierge Et Toreros)

Sorry, I became educative ...

Agree with Mr. pipsta 100%. If this thread lives long enough you're gonna see every designer / niche name under the rainbow as 'best'. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

"Top 5" is going to vary from person to person. Unless you can define what it means to be "Top 5" such as "My Personal 5 Favorite Fragrances" or "Top 5 Summer Bestsellers", the term "Top 5" is meaningless.

With that been said, I completely agree with Pipsta's suggestion. Suggest something for each of: daytime, evening, romantic, professional. Stick to a popular, safe and timeless fragrances for each with a brief description, as well as names for two alternatives.

If I was writing the paper, I would choose something like:

Daytime: Creed Green Irish Tweed (Other suggestions: Kenzo Power, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta)
    Evening: Rochas Man (Gucci Pour Homme II, Chergui Serge Lutens)
    Romantic: Dior Homme (L'Instant de Guerlain, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur)
    Professional: Terre d'Hermes (Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Platinum Egoiste)

Good mix of designer/niche, different tastes, no bias towards any specific company.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelca View Post
    I actually did that, the middle section is all about the differences between the perfume concentrates, the pyramid, notes and how perfume in general should be handled given the situation. I took it to myself to educate those poor bastards into appreciating and buying some better frags.

That's why I didn't want any Acqua di Gio/Cool Water types of fragrances in there, I took the liberty of using some lesser known but great fragrances. (And yes, l'eau d'Issey isn't particularly popular here in Holland for some kind of reason)

When the june edition comes out I'll try to post it here, provided with a translation of course.

Remember guys, these are college boys we are talking about. All they want is some ass...telling them to get Guerlain Vetiver or Eau Savage is just laughable. HA!

Designer:

1. Allure Homme Sport - Chanel (versitile warm scent)
    2. Bleu De Chanel - Chanel (professional Scent)
    3. Dior Homme - (Night club scent/ Romantic)
    4. Versace Man Frache - Sweltering heat/pool
    5. Ed Hardy Love and Luck - Fun Scent/Day time