Code of Conduct

Default Le Mle, Versace The Dreamer, and Angel Men -- Great scents, but can they also be clichd?

I haven't tried any of these scents, yet, but I like what I've heard about them-- in each case, the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. The only concern I have is... if they're so good, does that mean that tons of guys wear them? I just don't want to be the "n-th" guy in the room wearing it. The other problem I've heard of with popular scents that worries me is that they can, potentially, remind girls of an ex-boyfriend. =__=

Am I just being jittery, or are these legitimate concerns for these fragrances?

Default Re: Le Mle, Versace The Dreamer, and Angel Men -- Great scents, but can they also be clichd?

Those are legit concerns. Turn to the next page.

Default Re: Le Mle, Versace The Dreamer, and Angel Men -- Great scents, but can they also be clichd?

I see one of the mottos commonly said on basenotes - and I agree to some extent - is "If you like it, wear it".

That said, I don't like smelling like every other man or boy I meet either. Out of the three you mention, I have only tried A*Men. I got it when I was starting out on my frag hobby. I thought it was amazing then. I still really like it, but it's dropped a few pegs, since discovering much better and less common scents. I now really enjoy standing out for wearing different, unknown or even strange (to others) scents...

My advice is this. If you are worried - before even trying these scents - about them smelling very common, then chances are that if you were to buy them, the worries would continue? They would for me anyway, and it'd leave them unwearable for me... Instead, use the fragrance directory search and reviews, look for the notes in these scents, the types of scents these are, and find yourself some better and less common ones.
    LOST! in scent and music

They might be cliched but so what. Wear them if you like them.

Angel Men and Le Male (specially the las) yeah, are bestsellers.

But The Dreamer is underrated, and it will be almost impossible to find anoter person wearing this gem!

Even though these all seem pretty solid choices, scent wise, it seems like I should probably go and test them? I guess I was just expecting that I would like each of these fragrances for their scent, given the notes they contain and the high accolades, but how it all comes together is something I can't really know, a priori.

You should definitely try them out before you buy. Sometimes certain frags just won't work with your skin chemistry, no matter how much everyone else loves them.

Also, I bet a lot of people come to basenotes to find something a little less ordinary (I did) - there's nothing wrong with sticking your nose up at a fragrance for being too common! However, there's also nothing wrong with wearing something that others are fond of wearing; if you like it, chances are you'll be comfortable in it, and that's what we all really want from our frags. Well, some people want them to be weird and uncomfortable, but you know... Anyway, keep an open mind, and find something you really love to wear. If you want to find something you love but that nobody else in your state wears, you've come to the right place!

Up to a certain point, depending on perception, any fragrance might seem cliched, any fragrance tries to convey a certain mood, a certain sensation and cliches might just be a part of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Up to a certain point, depending on perception, any fragrance might seem cliched, any fragrance tries to convey a certain mood, a certain sensation and cliches might just be a part of it
    agree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This is a bit removed from the initial question, but might I ask for recommendations between these three fragrances?

(I'm in my mid-twenties, if that matters.)

Le Male and A*Men are a little played-out. Dreamer is solid gold just like daniel said.

I'd suggest checking out Rochas Man, it is an excellent choice.

Sniff + Sample all three and if possible others. Your inadvertably the expert NOT us. Follow and trust your own nose. If you feel your going to smell like a million other ex-boyfriends then simply move on but always follow and trust your nose. Take your time do not go chasing scents let them find you!

I wouldn't worry about any ex or person in general. I wear what moves me.
    Angel is a favorite but many people don't like it. Le Male seems to be a big hit it smells nice to my nose but it doesn't do it for me. Last, I blind bought The Dreamer because of the notes, the reviews, the name and bottle (yeah I know sounds stupid) and also the youtube reviewers (marc n tim etc.). It's inexpensive so what the heck!
    I like it very much, is very original, and it does it for me.
    Yeah test'em all, wear them see what moves you.
    Cheers!

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong here), your specific body chemistry and whatnot will color the scent somewhat, so rest easy knowing your smell's unique, I guess.

First post!

Strange that no one's mentioned this already, but:

If you like it, wear it.
    What I've been wearing far too much of lately:

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Would you mind if you meet a cute girl/guy that smells like an ex?