Code of Conduct

Default Blind Sniff before purchase

During the recent blind sniff the subject of impressions that come from marketing coloring how a juice smells came up. (Tangentially, the blind sniff was amazing fun and if you haven't done it you want to. You want to sniff and you want to host because it's a blast. And if you think you're too new to perfume to pull it off, you're mistaken.)

A recurrent comment (I think maybe it was me repeating myself) was that's it, I want to blind sniff before I ever buy anything again!

Warum, who is more proactive than me said, that's a great idea. Let's figure out how to make that happen! Thank goodness for Warum. Where I am a whiner she is a problem solver.

This thread is to figure out how to make that possible. Ultimately, I think what we want is to be able to get three vials with no identifying marks and sniff without being sure what we're sniffing.

One way to do that is to have members volunteer to send out vials. And coordinate what might get sent. (Ideally a niche, a massmarket and a cheapy if possible that all bear some similarity to the fragrance in question.)

My thought, my thought is complicated, involves money and coordination with a non-basenotes entity. Hopefully you guys will have some thoughts too.

A blind sniff club with TPC or a similar website. Each member gives $20 and each member gets to blind sniff three times. TPC (or if they can't or will not maybe another similar concern) will package up three similar fragrances - or as similar as possible- and label them numerically or alphabetically and put the actually fragrance names in a sealed envelope. This does require more work for them, but it should be good advertisement. Also as they are perfume lovers this may be fun for them.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Default Re: Blind Sniff before purchase

Subscribe me to it.

Speaking of which, I like receiving unlabeled fragrances in the mail in exchanges, like a person says "I went to a Sniffa and we were so busy that I forgot to mark my vials".

We might dedicate one month of Blind Sniffs specifically to it -- three vials to 6-7 participants, the interest to regularly scheduled BSs seems to be fading as we have been having harder times in recruiting people for either side.

Blog Entries

Deb, thanks -- I don't deserve.
    *especially now, I have a headache, but I want to participate to strike the iron while it's hot, so please if I am not being clear, make me stop and be more clear about what I am saying*

The Perfumed Court idea is great! How do we ensure that one gets what one is interested in??

My original idea was -- well, if we all know who participates in the Sniff Blind Before Buying club, we can just send each other unmarked vials, coordinate by PMs to be sure that there's stuff from the wish list and not from the wish list is coming. Requires a lot of resources and skills -- I know! -- 1) seeing someone's wish list, then 2) locating an item, then 3) locating some other perfumes that are similar -- and I only know one person with such encyclopedic knowledge of perfumes, and then finally 4) making sure they are all ending up with the person whose wish list we started from. Or that person and a buddy -- then it will be too much like The Original Blind Sniff which I don't want to undermine in any way (and wish to support in every way).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    We might dedicate one month of Blind Sniffs specifically to it -- three vials to 6-7 participants, the interest to regularly scheduled BSs seems to be fading as we have been having harder times in recruiting people for either side.
    Oh! There! Great idea. To make it as a little sub-set of the Blind Sniff.

Just occurred to me, we can make this sub-set of blind sniff available for those who hosted/sniffed, etc. to make sure that the person appreciates the concept of blind sniffing and understand fully what this might do to their perception of perfumes.

I love this idea so much! But I worry about being able to participate fully, as I am in and out and random intervals. I didn't even get to read the end of the last Blind Sniff, as I got called away to work.

The Blind Sniffing really does change perspective. I thought I was being really objective, but. . . I am affected by marketing. I mean, I know the people they hire to do it are very good at their job and all, but I thought I was immune to their influence. And I am not. It was a humbling experience.

I'll be watching this thread to see how you implement this!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I don't know that this needs to be formatted in such a way that it is time sensitive. Sometimes life eats your days, but you still don't want to spend a lot of money for perfume you get home and find you will not wear.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

It would be nice if this could be inexpensive. I also like the community aspect of sending and sharing and trading fragrances.
    The up side of doing it by purchase is that all the work is done and most perfumes are readily available.

Should we write to TPC and ask if they could/would do something like this? They might want to offer it widely actually as it's a service I think all perfume lovers can use. Does anyone want to work with me on drafting that email?

Can we also talk about ways to do ourselves?
    What if we had an administrator.

Let's say, for instance that we made Twolf and Warum administrators (this is a hypothetical, I'm not actually bold enough to start volunteering people for work ) And let's say I was planning to by Caron's Reglisse. Well, maybe Aiona would message one of them and say I have that! I can send a sample of that. Then they'd post that they had it. Someone else would write and say, if she's looking for anise she should compare it side by side with Lolita Lampika (which I am a) spelling wrong and b) for some reason can't smell!) which is mainstream and cheaper. Someone else might volunteeer their Naiomi Campell for another comparison, or maybe someone would offer to send their Reglisse Noir.

These volunteers would ship their unlabeled samples directly to the person looking to buy.

The recipient would post their impression.

The senders (who could be identified by name) could post their own impressions.

I like this.

Hypothesis aside, would you like me to send you some of Lolita Lempicka and Caron Reglisse?

Only if you don't label them

Actually I would love that. I tried the Caron this spring and I loved it. That said it was at the end of a day of sniffing and the sales clerk was very very good! She was French and she was charismatic, and her dress was pretty.

Blog Entries

Deb,
    I understand where you're going. TPC is a good choice here since they already make packs. So one can just ask them to center a pack not around a note which they seem to do anyways but around a certain perfume. so they will get it to you among others. yes, I will help on drafting the email.

The community part: we can take a look at our wish lists (which should, obviously, be updated) and see if we have not only the fragrances in question but also some suggestions about similarity. I happen to know what Mrs. T. wants to buy a certain fragrance by Hermes and while I still haven't dug out my sample of it, I seem to recall that another fragrance seemed similar in the drydown. I email the coordinator something like this: Mrs. T. -- wanted fragrance -- the one I find similar. The coordinator enters it in the database. Yes, I can be that database admin. then once a... month? quarter? a blue moon? -- the database admin sends out a PM to everyone who's in the BSBB club but Mrs. T with her wanted fragrance and the list of perfumes generated by the group. Then... then I somehow become very fuzzy on the details. I guess what happens is that everyone says, oh, I have the one she wants, I have this one on the list, and I guess they are sending the samples to Mrs. T.? Should they hide the wardrobes? Should they send it to the coordinator who makes all vials look alike? (I am afraid that I should NOT be that coordinator if we decide we need that).

reglisse... this is the one I would've skipped had I seen it on the list because I honestly have no clue. I tried LL and it was a headache in the bottle for me. So much to learn.

W., I do not want Rouge de Hermes for the drydown only but for the whole.

D., I will mail out early next week. These two are quite different and the color of the liquid might be a direct giveaway. To make it more complicated, I would throw in a few more violet-based scents -- and I know you are not very passionate about flowers in general.
    Last edited by Twolf; 26th May 2011 at 04:41 PM.

D., I will mail out early next week. These two are quite different and the color of the liquid might be a direct giveaway. To make it more complicated, I would through in a few more violet-based scents -- and I know you are not very passionate about flowers in general.
    It's strange but true. I am not passionate about flowers. I find that so puzzling! I never thought of that before. And thank you!

Warum, lots of good thoughts. I had a bad day at work and my brain is done, so I'm coming back tomorrow, and responding then.

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know. I was needing an example to understand the idea, at least for myself. That's how my mind works.

Deb, yep! Talk to you tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Deb,

Should they send it to the coordinator who makes all vials look alike? (I am afraid that I should NOT be that coordinator if we decide we need that).

reglisse... this is the one I would've skipped had I seen it on the list because I honestly have no clue. I tried LL and it was a headache in the bottle for me. So much to learn.
    I think shipping the vials to the coordinator to be shipped would only add an extra step and place a financial burden on the coordinator that seems unfair. I think the recipient should simply refrain from looking at people's wardrobes in order to figure out what they're receiving and just blind sniff.

About the Reglisse, the saleswoman was very smart. She sprayed people (with their permission) and refused to tell them what she was spraying until after they sniffed because licorice has a bad rap. In the end, almost no one wants to smell like a jellybean. The lovely thing about the Caron is that it captures the cool herbal qualities of reglisse but it doesn't reach for those candy tones that would interest almost no one.

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post

About the Reglisse, the saleswoman was very smart. She sprayed people (with their permission) and refused to tell them what she was spraying until after they sniffed
    Hey! Oddly topical!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I think shipping the vials to the coordinator to be shipped would only add an extra step and place a financial burden on the coordinator that seems unfair. I think the recipient should simply refrain from looking at people's wardrobes in order to figure out what they're receiving and just blind sniff.
    Yes, agree 100%.

This is all sounding tricky. Would someone please summarize how this is going to work? I love the idea! And Debbborra, I sure do love Caron Eau de Reglisse.

It's a brilliant idea. I remeber how at the blind sniff we all really like d ''Old Spice'' way before we guessed what it was!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    This is all sounding tricky. Would someone please summarize how this is going to work? I love the idea! And Debbborra, I sure do love Caron Eau de Reglisse.
    I think this is exactly what we're trying to do -- to think it through together and come up with a summary/summarized plan.
    Please feel free to add your ideas about what will work and questions about what you're not sure about.
    I will come back to this thread later -- I will be in meetings all day starting in half an hour. Yikes!!

Please be advised (I always start off with that phrase! Sheesh) I haven't abandoned this idea. I'm just feeling overwhelmed and overworked. Also, I'm trying to get a clearer vision before moving forward. I will try to pm out a rough draft of a proposed email to TPC by the end of the weekend.