Code of Conduct

Default Woodhue for Men - is the new version any good?

I bought Woodhue, the ladies version, for my mom when I was a kid. She loved it, I loved it, we all loved it. About a year ago I saw Woodhue for Men in the Vermont Country Store catalogue. Did a little online research. The original is famous as "Dean Martin's cologne." It's very hard to find now. The new version is obviously a reformulation, and you can buy it for around $20. My question: anyone know if it's even close to the original? Is it any good?

Default Re: Woodhue for Men - is the new version any good?

I recently tried the original, only this is the one marketed to men. It's sort of like a soft version of The Knize Ten for the first couple hours, though there is no strong leather note. It's very heavy and feels like there's a strong iris/orris note. It's a little sweet and gives the impression of some spice. Then there is a sharp turn towards the light woody direction, tough I didn't really detect any wood during the first couple of hours. It's not a powdery sandalwood, though, but rather a kind of diluted wood smell, if that makes sense. I'm not a huge fan of wood notes, so I can't really say how it compares to high-quality wood notes of today, but it is quite long lasting, though not a "sillage monster."

Thanks for chiming in, Mr. Bigsly. Since I first posted this I bought a bottle of the recent reformulation, and have to say it's distinctly disappointing. Not even as good as JHL, which it resembles in spirit, if nothing else. I have a feeling that the vintage scent is still charming, at least. The refomulation lacks charm, not to mention soul, wit, and grace. Hard to justify at even the discounted $20 price I found online. If you really want something in this style, I'd say go for JHL first. And even that isn't quite what I'm looking for in the '60s-'70s suave, debonaire realm. . . not even as good as Halston 1-12. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 25th May 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Well, this Woodhue I have is exactly the kind of frag I like most for the first couple hours, but then it goes into a simpler and lighter direction, whereas JHL stays true all the way, though I like the first two hours of Woodhue better than JHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, this Woodhue I have is exactly the kind of frag I like most for the first couple hours, but then it goes into a simpler and lighter direction, whereas JHL stays true all the way, though I like the first two hours of Woodhue better than JHL.
    Dang - sounds like the original really is better than the cheapo reformulation. But it also sounds like a bad case of "The good old days really weren't alll that good." Too bad.

Nothing wrong with the drydown, which reminds me of Caractere by Daniel Hechter. It's just not something I find especially compelling (okay as a change of pace). Here's a photo of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Nothing wrong with the drydown, which reminds me of Caractere by Daniel Hechter. It's just not something I find especially compelling (okay as a change of pace). Here's a photo of it:
    Interesting packaging. Don't think I've seen that in vintage Woodhue for Men before now.

I'm with you in liking the overall style and direction of this fragrance. It just seems pretty thin and cheap in its current formulation. I can only imagine (or hope, maybe), that it was a lot stronger and more refined back in Faberge's heyday. Right now, the new formulation strikes me as harsh and watery at the same time.

Shame, too. I had hoped for something as rich and delicious as I recall my mom's Woodhue from the mid-1960s.

I haven't smelled many good reformulations, that's for sure, and these are the kinds of frags I have the most experience with.