Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by lilacwine View Post
    Hi Primrose. I take no offence to the majority of comments on this thread. It's only those who make sweeping statements based on their experiences that caused me to become a little upset. You're right that not all sales assistants are too bothered about learning about their product. It would just be nice to think that if someone from this site visited my counter, they wouldn't ignore me or decline my help merely because of a false assumption they hold (i.e. that all SAs have no idea what they're talking about).
    Hope to meet you one day, lilacwine - I'm sure we'd be able to have a great chat

  2. #62
    Basenotes Plus
    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    11,033

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by lilacwine View Post
    Hi Primrose. I take no offence to the majority of comments on this thread. It's only those who make sweeping statements based on their experiences that caused me to become a little upset. You're right that not all sales assistants are too bothered about learning about their product. It would just be nice to think that if someone from this site visited my counter, they wouldn't ignore me or decline my help merely because of a false assumption they hold (i.e. that all SAs have no idea what they're talking about).
    You make a valid point - sweeping generalisations are unfair. Like Primrose, I try to take an open-minded approach and it can pay dividends. I now have a number of trusted contacts in various outlets in the London area. People who are passionate about fragrance, have in-depth subject knowledge, and are delighted to chat without ever trying to force a sale. The ill-informed, predatory pests are usually fairly easy to identify and deal with anyway.

  3. #63
    Basenotes Member Linsul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    An SA at Nordstrom pompously informed me that Armani Prives were "SO AMAZING" and the "couture of perfumes". I replied, "I think a think a better analogy might be to pret a porter, since they are mass marketed and not custom made."
    She gave me the most petulant nauseated look ever! It was actually quite funny.

    I find it better, usually, if I don't actually speak to anyone at perfume counters.
    Quote Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
    99% of the time you'd be dealing with a customer base who doesn't care what most of your stuff smells like and just wants an alternative to Acqua Di Gio. Wow, this Green Irish Tweed is really nice, it reminds me of that Cool Water cologne!

    The other 1% of the time you'd probably get challenged by passive-aggressive Basenoters who would hate your recommendations, saying your Creeds are overpriced, your Musc Koublai Khan is awful poop-smelling and outdated, the sandalwood in your recommendation of Tam Dao is shit because it's not Mysore, I don't care about the new Guerlain because I already got a sample from SurrenderToChance and it was awful and I threw it away thank-you-very-much, and your tastes are shit, because nobody is right except for them. Then you'd get to come here and read their complaints about you here.

    ^amazing, I love both of these
    Last edited by Linsul; 7th February 2014 at 09:28 PM.

  4. #64

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    "Have you tried Boyz du Portugal". The mind boggles ....
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    It's pretty typical. I used to live in Des Moines (shudder).

    (Almost no one pronounces it correctly, sigh)
    Just curious, what is the correct pronunciation?

    the French way, (kind of "bwuh/"bwah") as Creed is a french house, or the Portuguese way (which kind of does sound like "boysss" to my ear) ? If it were, say "bois du Cleveland", I would assume the french, but seeing as it lS bois du PORTUGAL, I'm quite curious.
    What do creed themselves call it?

    interesting!

    Hear both pronunciations here French pronunciation at top, portuguese under the map.



    ***Edit- I spoke to a friend from Brazil - I asked her the french/portuguese question She laughed and told me that the pronunciation is french.

    apparently "bois" does not mean wood in portuguese like it does in french. Wood is different word, and "boi" is an animal of some kind.

    bwuh du Portugal it is!

    I
    Last edited by Stinky Pete; 8th February 2014 at 01:00 PM.

  5. #65
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Since it's French, I'd use French pronunciation.

    http://translate.google.com/#auto/en...0du%20Portugal - and click the little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the "French" box.

    (for giggles, click the speaker icon in the English translation - you'll get that infamous 'Boyz du Portugal', lol!)

  6. #66
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,321
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    (Des Moines) It's pronounced - "duh moyn " no 's' of course, it's from the French for 'the mounds' butchered. It should be pronounced "day mwah". But if anyone heard you say it that way they'd put you in a rubber room.

  7. #67
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,672

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    But if anyone heard you say it that way they'd put you in a rubber room.


    (3933)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  8. #68
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    49
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Lilac is almost spot on. I've worked at my counter almost 4 years and 90 % of what I learned came from this site. A lot of brands don't even send note lists. We have to guess. I'm training as a specialist now, and you don't even qualify to take the test unless you've been here 2 years. Most associates last about 6 months. l'll even support your side of the argument with a quote from a coworker. She was asked about Angel. "Huh? Angel? What's that a perfume? Never heard of it." I had to dash in embarrassed for my kind everywhere.

    However got to defend myself. I'm in Alabama where there aren't exactly the best customers either. Some quotes...

    "Y'all got that Deo Geo?" In reference to Armani
    "Where's your dolkey gabsana?"
    "You carry Gucci? Awesome. Glad Gucci Mane finally put out some Cologne"
    "My wife likes that Juicy Cooter."

    My favorite though. 2 girls of about 17 came up and said "Hi we are looking for Pleasure." I responded "Its Pleasures by Estee Lauder, and please be careful in the future asking for it."

  9. #69

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    This is all pretty funny to me. I don't understand what people expect of a sales person, but it definitely seems like much too much. Everyone is a critic and it seems they do what they can to find something to criticize.

    Reminds me of one of those ubernerds that go into a cell phone store and ask about a phone citing its manufacturer alphanumeric nomenclature. Why would they know that? What utterly useless information. It's a DROID Moto X, not a mb2000x5c... (made up names to serve point)

  10. #70

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by jarroditshallbe View Post
    My favorite though. 2 girls of about 17 came up and said "Hi we are looking for Pleasure." I responded "Its Pleasures by Estee Lauder, and please be careful in the future asking for it."
    Priceless!

  11. #71
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,321
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Ha Ha. Juicy Cooter. That's creative pronunciation.

  12. #72

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Quote Originally Posted by jarroditshallbe View Post
    Lilac is almost spot on. I've worked at my counter almost 4 years and 90 % of what I learned came from this site. A lot of brands don't even send note lists. We have to guess. I'm training as a specialist now, and you don't even qualify to take the test unless you've been here 2 years. Most associates last about 6 months. l'll even support your side of the argument with a quote from a coworker. She was asked about Angel. "Huh? Angel? What's that a perfume? Never heard of it." I had to dash in embarrassed for my kind everywhere.

    However got to defend myself. I'm in Alabama where there aren't exactly the best customers either. Some quotes...

    "Y'all got that Deo Geo?" In reference to Armani
    "Where's your dolkey gabsana?"
    "You carry Gucci? Awesome. Glad Gucci Mane finally put out some Cologne"
    "My wife likes that Juicy Cooter."

    My favorite though. 2 girls of about 17 came up and said "Hi we are looking for Pleasure." I responded "Its Pleasures by Estee Lauder, and please be careful in the future asking for it."
    lol! But that Southern drawl is so sweet

    Jarrod what type of perfume do Southern men like? What do they like their women to smell like?

  13. #73

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Juicy Cooter, that's funny.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

  14. #74
    Basenotes Plus
    stargarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    fort lauderdale
    Posts
    463

    Default Re: The best thing I heard an SA say...

    Gucci Mane -- (spits coffee on computer monitor)

    I find that SA's can be very helpful and actually interested in learning things from people like us. It all depends on your attitude and how you treat them. And usually if you spend some quality time with them discussing the finer points of fragrance, you usually leave with some nice samples and someone who will remember you the next time you visit. The Creed specialist at our local Neimans is VERY good and experienced, and always throws me a couple of sample vials of Aventus. And I still have not purchased a Creed product yet.

    Most of them know very little if at all about what is happening with the IFRA rules, and I encourage them to learn about this stuff and use it as a sales tool. It's a pretty easy sale to let your customers know that their favorite juice may be getting reformulated -- so buy TWO!

Similar Threads

  1. My wifes take on A* Men. Funniest thing I ever heard
    By coney718 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11th March 2011, 08:41 PM
  2. An odd find (Have you ever heard of such a thing?)
    By debbborra in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st October 2008, 03:34 AM
  3. Probably the dumbest thing I ever heard
    By gianni in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11th April 2006, 10:42 PM
  4. Inspired by the "Dumbest thing I heard"
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  5. Probably the dumbest thing I ever heard
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •