Code of Conduct

Default Guerlains ordered blind - what do you think of my blind buys?

I've got the Guerlain bug and have ordered quite a few blind in the last few weeks.

I have coming:

Chamade
    Mahora
    Nahema
    Shalimar
    Terracotta

I already have Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleu, Apres l'Ondee, Champs Elysees, and Vol de Nuit

I've often heard good things about Shalimar and Chamade, but little if nothing about Nahema, Mahora or Terracotta Voile. Samsara is still to come, some time in the future

Cheers
    LiliB

Default Re: Guerlains ordered blind - what do you think of my blind buys?

All the Guerlain scents you have and are awaiting are heavenly. The only one not in the same caliber would be Champs Elysees which has a decidedly un-Guerlain-like composition. But it is still better than other companies offerings.
    To find a true gem, look for Parure, it is heavenly.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

For someone who already has many Guerlains in her arsenal, I highly doubt you will be displeased with any of these new purchases. All of them have something new to discover about them.
    And i agree with Breille... Parure is awesome, and should sit high atop your "to try" list. If you can find it at a reasonable price, then by all means buy it. Prices have been skyrocketing of late.

It's hard to go wrong with classic Guerlains. I love Nahema - a dense, almost jammy rose - I don't like "pink" girly tea roses. In your new order, the one I don't care much for is Mahora, a tropical floral. But many people love it.

cacio

I have to agree that most of the more classic Guerlains have ended up pleasing me. Even the sometimes maligned Champs Elysees is a little sweetie. It is such a cheerful little perfume, brings the sun out on a gloomy day. If I want to enjoy the gloom, I turn to L'HB and Apres l'ondee.

I'm wearing Mitsouko this afternoon, having given up on Fidji. I found it a little disappointing, a little too lifeless, but that is what holding onto a 40 years' memory of a perfume can do to you.

I have diverse tastes, and will probably like Mahora. After all, I do have the odd day when I go for fruit with Yvresse. So fruity and tropical will have its place in my little perfume world.

Basenotes Plus

you go LiliB I heartily approve!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

LiliB, all of your scents are wonderful, I concur. Parure is getting hard to find these days.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Chamade is a wonderful aldehyde woody floral.

Nahema is rose heady thick as mud. I did wear this in the 80s, a friend kept telling me it was awful but I still wore it. Not now I grew to really dislike it.

Shalimar is sadly not the beauty it was. Now its starts like lemon floor cleaner and takes quite a while to develop into the amber oriental of old.

Mahora lots of frangapapi(sp), which many think smells like coconuts. I did not like it at all. Had a bottle given to me long ago, never wore it and gave it to a friend who collected bottles.
    DONNA

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    ... but little if nothing about Nahema.
    One of Madonna's fave perfumes!

I've done a search on Parure and it really is ridiculously expensive. I don't feel like being exploited by Ebayers who could sell me Russian Vodka with a nip of something uniquely Bulgarian or perhaps Russian added. At the moment I wouldn't know the difference. Until I get to be more experienced, I'll be sitting back and just watching the fun, as people joust for the goods.

In the meantime, I'll get myself a decant from TPC. I see they have a bottle for sale for just $600. Now if I only had $600 that I didn't know what to do with, I could snap it up. Cheap at twice the price.!!! LOL

Why oh why was I such a spendthrift in the days when I had a well paid job, plenty of money and few interests outside clothes, shoes and handbags. I kept the Charity shops stocked up with my cast offs, and stuck to safe perfumes like Le Dix, Chanel 5, and when I wanted to be more assertive, Rive Gauche and Youth Dew. What WAS I thinking? How I could use that wage now!!

I hope they are all samples/decants, not the full bottles that you have ordered.

Would also add Attrape-Coeur (Guet Apens) to your "To Test" list.

Which Terracotta have you ordered? Voile d'Ete is a gorgeus creamy carnation and Eau sous la Vent is a pretty, beachy floral. Shalimar is not the same as it once was but it is still breathtakingly beautiful.

I expect you'll be happy with your purchases!

I did order bottles of the above perfumes. What the heck, I haven't missed with any of the Guerlains, or indeed the Carons and Hermes that I have bought blind so far.

The terracotta had me a little confused. Every other etailer I looked at had Terracotta Voile d'Ete listed, but my seller only listed Terracotta. I hope its Voile d'Ete which was what I actually wanted. Ah well, its already been despatched so I'll soon know.

Since I'm not about to make it to Paris or New York in the near future, I will stay away from getting too wrapped up in the hard to get Boutique perfumes, because I get cranky when I can't get something I love.

Anyhow, DH and I are officially going into retirement in July, and we'll be having to adjust to a slightly more modest lifestyle then. So, the pocket money for indulgences like perfume will probably be substantially reduced. I'll probably be limited to decants and minis, rather than full bottles.

The good thing is that I now have some forty full bottles, and can indulge in different perfume every day for a month!!! I know that's a drop in the ocean compared to some of the real perfume afficionados, but I was a latecomer.

I have added Attrape-Coeur and Parure to my list of things to try in decant.

LiliB, I love Guerlain, too, and think you will not go wrong with any of those. I have Nahema, which I ordered blind, and find fabulous. Also Chamade and Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue. Have never tried Apres L'Ondee, Sous le Vent, or Attrape Coeur, because no one in my area carries them. Have refrained from ordering them blind, but someday I may have to. If you get a chance, try some of the masculine scents in their line. They are also great.

I think if the ones you have work for you, chances are you'll love your blind buys. Enjoy!

Basenotes Institution

A great haul of beautiful scents, LiliB !
    I think you'll have a lot to love for all the Guerlains you have bought .

Brielle is right- Parure is gorgeous.
    Duckie- Nahema is Madonna's fave scent ?? Thanks for that ! Great Maddy fan here.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.