Code of Conduct

Thread: Dioressence

Default Dioressence

I snapped up a bottle of the EDT a couple of weeks ago, feeling sure that I liked this perfume.

Yesterday, when I first tried it, I thought it was a total scrubber. It went on green, green, green, and shortly after smelled like medicine on me. 'What WAS I thinking when I bought that?' I asked myself. I was ready to chalk it up to experience, and was confident that if I hated it after a second testing, surely someone would be prepared to swap me for something I liked better.

Then, in the afternoon, something strange happened. I caught a faint element in it that tugged away at my memory, saying, 'you know me, you used me years ago. You loved me then, and you still do' Yes, this was the chypre style I loved in the 80s. It had the same kind of allure as Miss Dior held for me.

You know how strange it is when a smell evokes a positive feeling, but you can't place what it was, and you only know it made you feel good. That's how I felt.

By this morning, there was a totally magical skin scent. The whole lot had melted to a most beautiful bouquet of floral, green yet also woody elements. I was so sorry it was only the EDT that I had, the perfume would be wonderful. But then I was probably born 20 years too late to fully enjoy the wonders of the past now.

Onward and upward. It's Diorella next.

Default Re: Dioressence

Try to find vintage Diorella, please do. The version available now is almost a completely different type of scent that the original. It has lost its soul.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ā sa source

Hi LiliB, what version of Dioressence do you have? There are a few different formulations around ... anyway, it is a beautiful oriental-chypre, love it. It gets quite powdery in the drydown on me. Diorella is one of my faves too. For both scents, vintage is the way to go, even recent "vintage" is good up until 2006 when the oakmoss restrictions really kicked in. Another one to try in vintage is Miss Dior - a must if you like green, leathery chypres!

This article is very helpful dating Dior bottles. Even though it refers to Diorissimo it applies to most of the Dior range
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...i-date-my.html
    Last edited by tiffingirl; 25th May 2011 at 06:13 AM.

I've wanted to try Diorella for a few years now; I never seem to run across it anywhere, though, in any form. I adore Dioressence, both the one I wore decades ago and the newer version. The newer is perhaps not as unique as the version I remember from my youth, but nonetheless lovely.

I recently sprayed Dioressence and was shocked in the change!!!! This was a brand new tester in a department store. I wore it as a teenager when it came in the blue rubber like bottle, this was the 70s. Then in the 80s in the glass ribbed like bottle both totally gorgeous. Warm and yes a little powdery. The new one was like a totally different fragrance, somewhere deep down in there a hint of the old Dioressence.
    DONNA

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiffingirl View Post
    ... it is a beautiful oriental-chypre, love it.
    I don't get it, when people call Dioressence an oriental?!

Anyway ... I adore this scent. One of my absolute faves.

Typically enough, I prefer vintage Esprit de Parfum and Extrait.

It appears I have the later version of Dioressence. I can't even recall what the one of my youth looked like. However, my bottle has the indented oval with cursive silver grey writing a silver embossed circle on the neck and a stopper lookalike cap (reminds me of the top on my original Diorissimo splash on bottle). I don't know, either, what vintage this one is. I was stupid enough to dispose of the box. Something that I won't do in future until I take note of its contents.

I love, love, love Miss Dior, and have a recent version of that too. However, I still like this version, though obviously not with the same passion as the many bottles I used in my 20s and 30s when it was pretty much my signature fragrance.

Interestingly enough, whilst surfing the net earlier, looking for Diorella, I came across a bottle of Dior 1947. It had me stumped as to what it could be. Sounds interesting to me now that I have read PerfumeShrine article that Tiffingirl so kindly pointed me to.

I'm also going to get back to Diorissimo, which I loved long ago. I had a big splash on bottle that went off. It's the only perfume I lost to the elements, and its sensitivity to spoiling is talked about in the article. Definitely one that I will have to take care with if I ever buy vintage.

I'm besotted with Guerlain and Caron at the moment and the Chanels and Diors have been sorely neglected. I must do something about that!!!

Ah so many experiences to come, so little time and money.

Le Grand Duc: If you re-read my post you will note that I actually described it as an "oriental-chypre". Interestingly, the Dior website defines it as an oriental. Other sites define it as a Floral chypre. To me it has shades of all of these: there is the warm oriental spicy, vanillic, bezoin drydown (maybe responsible for the powder effect?) whilst at the same time, a hefty dose of oakmoss (chypre) with those wonderful floral top and mid notes of Rose and Geranium. To my nose, at least, (and hey, we're just talking about our own experiences not "fact" or "truth" here) the Parfum and Espirit de Parfum have more of an Oriental vibe as compared to the EdT which (to me) emphasises the the chypre aspect of this fragrance. All in all it is a masterful composition by Guy Robert, how wonderful that we can detect such different things - truly an indication of masterful blending.

LiliB : your enthusiasm is so refeshing and wonderful to hear. Dior is my most loved House. So many great classics to be celebrated! Good luck with your "getting back" to Diorissimo and the hunt for vintage Diorella. It would be lovely to hear you report back on your findings!
    Last edited by tiffingirl; 26th May 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Le Grand Duc: Interestingly, the Dior website defines it as an oriental.
    I know ... but, I still don't get it.
    To me, it's like calling Chanel N°19
    an oriental. It's just not, IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I know ... but, I still don't get it.
    To me, it's like calling Chanel N°19
    an oriental. It's just not, IMHO!
    Well, however we classify it, I think we are agreed that Dioressence is a WONDERFUL fragrance!

I LOVE this fragrance. I have a vintage version, probably not as vintage as I'd like to try, but better than the new out. I also found a version of Diorella from a few formulations back. Both do the same thing on me that you describe Lilb. At the first spray I don't swoon for it, but give it a few hours. I'm finding that I do that with several perfumes. Makes this whole ride a lot more fun to know that something you start off feeling "meh" about you can wind up adoring.

Well, however we classify it, I think we are agreed that Dioressence is a WONDERFUL fragrance!
    Oh God yes!

Banned

Yes, yes I agree it's wonderful. To be it's a quintessential spicy oriental in the same family as Opium and not at all like the green-centric No.19. All semantics, of course. To copy the photo I posted on the 'today I bought' thread on the masculine board I just picked up one of these, among the rarest of all vintage Diors:

^^^^
    What a great find, many congrats! Yes, that is a very rare stopper bottle. I also have the Espirit de Parfum, but in the spray. I love EdP concentration ... well worth seeking out. So hard to find though.

NineXseven
    That bottle alone is to die for. The contents even moreso. I'm a faint shade of green here. No, it's not the effect of too much chypre!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Yes, yes I agree it's wonderful. To be it's a quintessential spicy oriental in the same family as Opium and not at all like the green-centric No.19. All semantics, of course. To copy the photo I posted on the 'today I bought' thread on the masculine board I just picked up one of these, among the rarest of all vintage Diors:
    Are you calling Dioressence closer to Opium than No19?!
    I have that exact same bottle of Esprit de Parfum, I was
    lucky enough to win a sealed 50ml on the Bay some months
    ago, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Opium, nothing.

I'm puzzled ... but, as Lilli said, who cares what people calls
    it, it's still a magnificent fragrance.

Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 27th May 2011 at 07:49 AM.

Off topic but I'll jump on the boat of love for the Dior house!
    I have a Miss Dior and I love love love it so much; and also Diorissimo, which I enjoy!
    Reading this thread leaves me in sore from jealousy, Gawwd! like, I really need to push my restart button of "hunting for a bottle Diorella" mode again! I've only had a chance to try Diorella (which I liked way more than Diorissimo) but haven't owned it yet. It's so hard to find it in my country and the bottle that I could find here was not in good condition so I didn't want it. I've been looking for Diorella from different sources, but like many others, I'm puzzled about whether to purchase the recent formula or to keep looking for the vintage one. Damn, buying the right frag is hard!
    How does sunshine smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by Cute_cute_baby View Post
    Off topic but I'll jump on the boat of love for the Dior house!
    I've been looking for Diorella from different sources, but like many others, I'm puzzled about whether to purchase the recent formula or to keep looking for the vintage one. Damn, buying the right frag is hard!
    I have tried the older, newer and very latest versions of Diorella. The older vintage is gorgeous and hasthe most complexity. However, I don't detect such a big difference between the older and newer vintages as between these and the very latest version, which isn't worthy of being called Diorella anymore imho. So, if you cannot find the older version in the houndstooth packaging, you would be pretty safe buying the newer vintage but please don't bother with the very latest version which came out about 2 years ago. This link may be of help in dating the bottles http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...i-date-my.html

Good luck!

Dear tiffingirl, thank you so much for your kindness and careful instruction!
    I've been seeing some of the bottles with the houndstooth packaging floating on the ebay but didn't know how vintage is...eh...vintage enough, haha. But I think I've got the idea by now thanks to you!
    How does sunshine smell like?

You are most welcome! It may take a few months, but I am sure you will find what you are looking for, at a price that suits your budget.

Hello everyone,
    I've got a question: how good is a 2004 bottle of Dioressence? Is it worth it or was it already disfigured at that time? I can't smell it first unfortunately.
    I have to make a decision soon about buying it or not... Itīs the version with the letters printed in white on the glass, the box is grey and white.
    Thanks for your help !

Blog Entries

I would probably pass on a 2004 bottle. I would try for one at least pre 2000. Just a guess, but I'm thinking at least the 1990's would be safe.

Thatīs my thought too... I'd rather play it safe so I won't buy it.
    Hard to find a vintage from the 90īs though, the blue and white box is what I'm after, just like many other perfumistas...
    Many thanks for your answer.