Code of Conduct

Default Looking for good price/quality woody oriental or dry woods scents

Hey all, hope this is the right type of question to be asking.

Headed to a local department store to match my nose to all the reading I've been doing about fragrances. With some incredible help from the man at the counter, I got myself oriented with the different parts of the fragrance wheel, and got to wear a few scents around for a couple of hours. I ended up picking up a bottle of Grey Flannel, because it was cheap, my favorite of the bunch I tried, and I wanted the salesman to feel some satisfaction after humoring me for a few hours. I do like it, but I really found myself liking the wood notes the best.

With all that out of the way, I'm looking for something on the edges of the wood spectrum, something with more "personality" than Gray Flannel, which smells pretty clean and basic (at least to my nose). Just looking for something with a bit more complexity or sophistication, something with a more masculine edge while still being a bit reserved.

Sorry if any of this lingo threw you off, it's really hard to talk about scents. My ideal price range is a bit higher than Grey Flannel, but I'd like to stay somewhere near $50/8oz. If there's something a bit above that's worth my time, I'd absolutely love to hear about it as well.

Default Re: Looking for good price/quality woody oriental or dry woods scents

Carbone Balmain is a good one.

Burberry London is a good woody spicy scent IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Is $50/8oz a typo? That's kind of an odd size. Are you specifically looking for 8oz bottles, or would a $25 3.3oz or 4oz bottle be ok?

I can't think if any 8oz cologne that sells for 50, which is of a good quality (unless they are citrus eau's edc / edt). I'm going to see the responses this thread generates!

Quote Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
    Is $50/8oz a typo? That's kind of an odd size. Are you specifically looking for 8oz bottles, or would a $25 3.3oz or 4oz bottle be ok?
    You've got the idea. Just a similar range per oz. $50 and 8 oz was just the only touchstone I had

As others were saying, bottles are typically 1.7 or 3.4 oz. Starting point is really $60 for 3.4oz, though around $80 per 3.4 oz is more typical.

Chanel Egoiste is a great sandalwoody oriental (ie a bit creamier and rounder than the typical woody perfume). Note, the regular Egoiste, not the more common platinum egoiste. Unfortunately, its distribution is restricted. For something very masculine, there's Caron Yatagan, dark, woody, with an arresting green and vegetal top. Again, not as widely distributed as it should, but not expensive either.

cacio

Monsieur Musk by Dana. Great scent for the price. The musk is very tame and understated. Check the directory here. Very masculine and clean smelling. In fact, I'm going to spritz some on right now.

Thanks all. Ordered a few samples and the descriptions all sounded like exactly what I was looking for.

Wonder wood or Oud by Cdg
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by TSOD View Post
    You've got the idea. Just a similar range per oz. $50 and 8 oz was just the only touchstone I had
    My wife and I are both really liking a sample of Uomo? Moschino that I got. It goes for about $25 for the 4.2 oz on Amazon. I'm sure prices are similar at other online discounters. Check out the reviews here and see if it appeals to you.

A little outside of your price range, but you did indicate "If there's something a bit above that's worth my time, I'd absolutely love to hear about it as well".

With that in mind, check out Sexmagic from the House of Matriarch. It's listed under their Achtung perfumes.

Darvant wrote, IMHO, a nice review which reflects my experience as well - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26141073.html

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Wonder wood or Oud by Cdg
    Agree with these. CDG 2 Man is perhaps my most complimented fragrance. Gucci Pour Homme (2003) and YSL M7 might fit the bill, but are sadly discontinued and therefore might be a bit too expensive.

Egoiste could work as well.
    My favorites in no particular order:

Vintage Antaeus,Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, MDCI Invasion Barbare, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Morabito Or Black, House of Matriarch Blackbird, Puredistance M, Turtle Vetiver Back, CDG 2 Man, Vintage Bel Ami, YSL M7, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Bois d'Encens, Vintage Fahrenheit, Knize 10, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Gucci Pour Homme I

Basenotes Plus

Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme can still be had for a song in some of the smaller establishments. Just not in (fleec)eBay..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme can still be had for a song in some of the smaller establishments. Just not in (fleec)eBay..
    Nice. I don't mind to pay for two songs if I know how/ where to acquire it
    I could not find it anywhere in the states and bought a bottle not long ago on the evil bay. I am thinking of buying a backup.

Also adding two reasonably priced 80s classics to the possible testing list: Van Cleef&Arpels PH and Santos de Cartier. Both have Oriental hints, woodiness and even hints of dryness within their powerhouse main theme.