Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Diane von Furstenberg - Diane

From nstperfume.com:

Diane von Furstenberg will launch Diane, a new woody floral fragrance for women, in October. The scent is meant to be “powerful and seductive, without being aggressive”.

Diane was developed by perfumer Aurélien Guichard; notes include frangipani and violet.

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum and in matching body products.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Diane von Furstenberg - Diane

Sounds interesting .I will have to sniff this out.

Hillaire

Well, it can't be worse than Tatiana!
    Actually, I hope it's great; I really like her.

This is available as a tester at Nordstroms in EDP - I have a small sample vial that is EDT (???); information states it will be available as EDP only, so I don't know how this EDT exists....

Not generally a celebrity follower, I do admire DVF - her business savvy, her longevity, her aesthetic.

At this point, I'm smelling a light musky floral with woodsy base, reminiscent somewhat of Lovely or Idylle to my memory, but more sophisticated. However, I don't own either of those, so can't do a side by side.

Anyone else have a chance to test this one? thoughts? comparisons?

I smelled Diane today at Sephora, and sprayed some on a tissue I just threw in the bin next to me, and the whole room now smells like Agent Provocateur! It smells like a dupe, man! I don't know why this is, because the notes don't list rose, coriander, etc (as in AP), but my stars, it smells just like my beloved AP...a less mucky version, perhaps.

Sur la Plage

I tried it at Nordstrom and really did not like it at all.

Also tried it at Sephora yesterday and found it quite ladylike clean, if that makes sense. A creamy violet, nice, but absolutely not for me. EdP and Edt were very similar, but I didn't wait too long and didn't spray it on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Puckrik View Post
    I smelled Diane today at Sephora, and sprayed some on a tissue I just threw in the bin next to me, and the whole room now smells like Agent Provocateur! It smells like a dupe, man! I don't know why this is, because the notes don't list rose, coriander, etc (as in AP), but my stars, it smells just like my beloved AP...a less mucky version, perhaps.
    Now that you point that out, Katie, I agree with you - a less sophisticated version of AP.

Very much enjoy your reviews, BTW.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I treated myself to Diane EDP yesterday. I just think it's absolutely gorgeous. It's a modern twist on Lancome's Magie Noire, it is a first cousin of Agent Provocateur, it even doffs its cap to Miss Dior (the original, of course) and it is very, very sexy. I've read reviews which compare it to a soap. This isn't always a bad thing, as there are some beautifully scented soaps! But Diane is set to remain a firm favourite of mine for at least the foreseeable future. By the way, I know Dior purists may balk at my comparison here, but this is exactly what I'm getting. And my nostrils are in full working order.

Basenotes Institution

I tested this at Sephora and I liked it. It's better than the usual mainstream releases, IMHO.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I bought the edp two Saturdays ago. The edt is almost like a different fragrance.

I get loads of violets from it, with a hint of rose.
    DONNA

It sounds nice! Thanks for the mini reviews. I love violet, and violet + rose. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Well, it can't be worse than Tatiana!
    Actually, I hope it's great; I really like her.
    I've noticed that you and I are pretty much polar opposites in our fragrance tastes, Hillaire (although there are some chypres we agree on). I adored Tatiana in the late 70s/early 80s. The reformulation was horrible, though.

Hillaire

I am just 'eh' about this one. I am glad, on the one hand, she's trying to work out a chypre and make a more sophisticated and mature modern scent. But I still feel it's in some ways doing stuff 'on the cheap'. Somehow it does not smell as fine as I want it to. Katie mentioned Agent Prov. And I agree they smell alike; that's exactly how I feel about AP, too. But I feel AP smells about right for its cost.

I just think that a hundred-plus bucks can procure a way better modern, designer, department store floral chypre, like:
    EL Jas White Moss
    or La Prairie Life Threads Platinum
    Those smell like class; in fact I would have been thrilled had Diane smelled like either of those.

And the same amount of money could also be spent wisely on basenotes
    for some older formulations of world class chypres, like Mitsouko, Chant d'Aromes or Y.

And for the price of two bottles of Diane (which in my terms translates to one act of delayed gratification), one could invest in a modern-feeling chypre that smells truly opulent and feels like something special, like Jubilation, Party in Manhattan, Promesse d'Laube, or Portrait of a Lady.

It makes me sad, i wanted to like it. But given the option, I wouldn't even buy it for twenty bucks. It's not much better than Charlie.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

These posts simply serve to highlight what a subjective area fragrance is, and how interesting and fun it is to read differing views. I love that Hillaire thinks Diane smells cheap, LOL - To my olfactory senses, it's exactly the opposite, incredibly classy - like an extremely upmarket version of Agent Provocateur. It's not as dirty as AP, and it doesn't have as much incense as Magie Noire, but for me, those are its closest relatives. And I love those as well. On my more fruity days, I go for Stella, Moschino Couture!, Elie Saab and Gucci Rush. Yum. Love 'em.

Well now I really want to sniff it!

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I'm wearing Diane again today. I feel I am enveloped in a beautiful cloud of sexiness. Another thing I love about Diane is that I could have a Diane day followed by an Agent Provocateur day without washing my hair. I wouldn't do this with any other perfumes, because (I know this is going to make me sound like a mental case) I like to wash my hair before changing perfumes. I wash my hair every two to three days and feel that if I change perfumes without washing my hair, even though I shower twice a day, the fragrance will linger around my hairline and in my hair itself. So for example I wouldn't like to wear Stella one day then bung Elie Saab on top of it the next day. Am I a weirdo?