Hi, I'm new here and have just started getting into this stuff. Ive used nothing other then axe. I've been dating someone for over 4 years and feel it may be ending soon. I'm trying to make myself the most presentable I can in case we end and im back on the market.
I purchased a couple based on amazon reviews. Mambo by liz and Realm men. Not the best idea.
The Mambo smells ok, just fake. The Realm smells like an old lady to me.
I tested a few at macys and this is what I like. I like something a little sweet and sensual but also masculine. I really liked Nautica voyage when I smelled it.
I'm looking for a casual wear that I can use all the time, and something maybe more strong and sexy for the clubs.
I really like Code by Armani but that's what my brother uses and I don't want to smell the same.
Not a big fan of super musky and over powering. Aqua di gio was alright, not my thing. Tried Calvin Klein obsessions, not a big fan. Some other big names didnt catch my attention. Cool water seemed to sharp for my taste
So im thinking something like nautica voyage for casual and something like Code for nights out. Please let me know your suggestions, they are really appreciated.
Im 21 years old. Clubs I like are pretty classy. Have dress codes.
Last edited by chris1337; 25th May 2011 at 11:50 PM.
Im 21. Pretty small build, 5.9 140. Don't want anything that seems out of place for my size. Can't explain it but some I tried made me feel like someone a lot larger should be wearing them.
if youre strictly going based on what will be popular with the young girl crowd, forget your aversion to 'musky' and heavy and sample these. splash them on and go for a run. they'll grow on you.
JPG Le Male
John Varvatos Artisan
Gucci Guilty For Him
Gucci PH II
if still too much, try
Chanel Allure Homme
adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous
NO particular order. First five are more popular with young girls - but also complement your masculine side.
The last three are something you might enjoy personally, but still crowd pleasers.
Among the first 5:
1. Gucci Guilty for Him - lemon, bergamot, spice (dark like Code) but has a classy warm spice / vanilla / tonka bean drydown - similar to code, but NOT the same. 2. Artisan is in the same vein as GG. If you really like these 2 and want something darker, look into Prada Amber Intense. If you want something much much lighter, look at the regular Prada Amber.
3. JPG Le Male - what hasnt been said about it. Sample this one. It's great. Downside is that everybody and their mom is wearing it, youll just announce that youre late to the JPG Le Male party.
4. Gucci PH II is more citrus/ pepper - this one you might have an issue with. I'm not sure if youre averse to woody notes or fresh notes in Cool Water.
4. Pure Havane is lots of tobacco - very warm and pleasant but not that big of a lady killer. just something you might enjoy personally.
Among the others
1. Dior Homme - frequently chosen as the only frag people would hold on to if all the others have to go. They have it at Sephora. Lots of iris. Clean, white-sheets, floral vibe - may seem to feminine for some guys. I think it's perfect. Something similar but not as floral would be Prada Milano Infusion D'Homme.
2. Burberry Touch - tea, floral, citrus. I'm biased toward this one. Wore a lot of it in my mid-20's and it was a compliment getter.
3. Chanel Allure Homme - smooth unoffensive classy. maybe on the mature side for you.
Honestly you really have to sample. You might find that you find one unconventional frag that you start liking. Dab some samples on your wrist or keep one of those cards in your pocket and see how it changes throughout the day. Often, the fun is in waiting for a particular note to shine through.
Welcome to Basenotes.
adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous
As soon as you said "strong scent for clubs," the first thing I thought of was 1 Million. Love it or hate it, it's a strong clubber-type of scent. Most guys I know that are newer to fragrance and like to hit the clubs absolutely love 1 Million.
Bleu De Chanel
For daily wear you will love Chanel Allure Homme Sport- great spring, summer, and fall fragrance. Somewhat versatile, its an aquatic/citrusy masculine scent like nautica voyage. This can be your signature scent the scent you always go to and wear all the time. There is not one person that doesn't like this scent that I know of see the reviews of it. Its a super safe buy for anyone so dont worry about liking it bc 90% chance you will.
For Club wear try Dolce & Gabanna the one but keep in mind the longevity sucks but it smells absolutely fantastic not too much on the nose and isnt for old people (35+), very classy, a compliment getter, can be used formally, casually, and for casual clubs and classy clubs.
Others you might like:
Chanel's Bleu De Chanel- everyday use, extremely versatile can be used in the clubs, going out, and for work/school...Great scent a little more deep than chanel allure homme sport but has a similar summery spring vibe to it
Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce- for the younger crowd, it is quite common but its surprisingly an amazing fragrance. Don't let the name fool you this fragrance gets loads of compliments and the ladies just absolutely love it. It isnt your typical abercrombie hollister aeropostale cologne, it is much deeper than that and is quite different from the rest. This is also a great versatile scent it can be used all year round in the clubs, school/work, church you name it...very non offensive when applied correctly.
Hope this helps!
I would say a lot of it depends on your price point too.
If you are willing to dish;
Creed Millesime Imperial
Le Labo Rose 31
Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur
Less common designer;
+1 for Le Male: You really can't go wrong with this, although everyone is different.
+1 for Chanel Allure
For evening: I suggest Dolce and Gabbana "The One." Hope this helps.
My Top 5!!!
1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
5. Derby, Guerlain
"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me
"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me
Thanks for the help everybody. Great community here. I'm going to look into a handf ull of the stuff suggested. Money isnt really an issue right now, so feel free to suggest anything I just bought cheaper ones to begin with to get an idea of what things smell like. Cheaper ones smell, well cheaper