Code of Conduct

Default Top scent for a 17 year old?

I ordered some samples from scentmonkey

-Paris Hilton For Men by Paris Hilton
    -Unforgivable by Sean John
    -Rochas Man by Rochas
    -Jean Paul Gaultier for Men
    -Joop! Jump

So far I've tested Rochas, Paris and currently just applied Unforgivable on my arm.

I've seen lots of reviews for these, and Paris Hilton's scent seems like a piece of crap, smells very synthetic with cucumber mixed in. Rochas is nice, but maybe I was expecting too much of it? I'm not smelling too much coffee or chocolatey smell so I'm kinda disappointed. Unforgivable seems really very nice to me, I don't think it's fit for casual use though.

I've yet to try Jean Paul and Joop Jump but I don't have too high of an expectation of them.

Should I order Rochas and Unforgivable? I seem to like those the most at the moment, and there's another cheap scent that's getting good reviews called Everlast. Rochas I've read is good for casual use.

After testing these samples, do the full versions tend to offer the same scent? I just want something....more from Rochas if that makes sense. Perhaps it's the application of the samples? I've hairy arms so they soak up scents nice. I usually dab a cotton ball in the splash sample and then lightly dab it all over my arm.

Default Re: Top scent for a 17 year old?

Of the ones you've named, I haven't tried Paris Hilton, but Rochas Man is an excellent excellent fragrance. I also get more green than coffee/chocolate, but I really like it.

If you want something chocolatey, try Givenchy Pi. I think it's pretty average but more chocolatey and it's popular with the younger crowd.

I think you're applying the juice of the viles poorly, DS. Instead of using a cotton ball (which will absorb the liquid) concentrate on splashing, tipping, turning over, the vial directly into your cupped hand and using then using that hand to spread the juice on your neck, chest, forearm, whereever. Be careful not to tip in too much though, concentrate on using one half a 1ml vial for a day's application and remember to do an application from the other hand on other places.

Good luck! There's no telling what you'll like until you try it out yourself.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I see. I don't want chocolate that much, because I do like Rochas. Maybe it's just it's subtlety. Either way I enjoy it and I think I'll go with Unforgivable+Rochas, how is the longevity on both? What about Everlast? Lolita Lempicka also seems to have gotten good reviews and seems like my kinda thing, or is it too feminine?

Okay, I'll try re-applying all of these scents in the way you described

Is Unforgivable Multi Platinum better than the original? At the moment I absolutely love the original.

Also, what's a good site to buy scents from?

Out of your samples I'd go for Rochas Man. However also, if you can, give a try to La Nuit De L'homme by YSL.

As for places to order, you can try scentedmonkey again, beautyencounter, or fragrancenet. Those are the only sites I've ordered from but there are many more reputable dealers then just them.

So you don't live anywhere near a Sephora or Macy's? You can try out a bunch of scents there. If you love Unforgiveable, Rite Aid Pharmacy often has a miniature for sale for around $10 which will last you many months.

Unfortunately I don't.

I live in Canada, but my father lives in the US, so I usually just order to his location.

Of the ones you ordered the following are keepers IMO:

Rochas Man by Rochas
    Jean Paul Gaultier for Men

Rochas Man is ok, but i prefer Le Male over it (they have some notes in common, try both arm by arm). Also Le Male has much more longevity.

Unforgivable is nice, but lasts 2 hours or even less. I would prefer Joop Jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    Rochas is nice, but maybe I was expecting too much of it? I'm not smelling too much coffee or chocolatey smell so I'm kinda disappointed. Unforgivable seems really very nice to me, I don't think it's fit for casual use though.

Should I order Rochas and Unforgivable? I seem to like those the most at the moment
    I would keep sampling till you find something you love. There are two many fragrances out there to settle for like. Just my $0.02. Good luck on your quest!

I am 20 years old, so I am the same age range as you... I own each and every single one of those fragrances you listed in your original post. Out of those, I'd say you need to give Rochas Man another try (great for Canadian winter).. but they are all worth owning (maybe with the exception of Unforgivable... I'd take Joop Jump over Unforgivable any day.. but I do own both.) Also, pick up La Nuit De L'Homme (EDT) and layer the two together and tell me if that helps. Rochas Man is excellent. La Nut De L'Homme is KIND OF similar, but more sweet. I honestly love the two layered together.. and if you love Rochas Man, you might love La Nuit as well.

Here are some more I STRONGLY recommend you to check out (in order of my preference):
    La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent *** (And don't just sniff it off the bottle, test it on your skin with 2-3 sprays... ask people what they think after about 10-20 minutes.) This is my "go to" date cologne... it's not the best for clubs, but for a date or night out with a few friends to the movies or whatever = YES.
    Aventus by Creed (If you love fruity pineapple.) Be sure to check batch numbers though. * Great daytime summer cologne!
    Milesime Imperial by Creed (If you love fruity melons + sea water.) Great daytime summer cologne!
    One Million by Paco Rabanne (Ultimate clubbing fragrance.. but ONLY use it for that. It is a powerhouse, 2 sprays MAX.)
    A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler (Very niche fragrance, smells unique.. but it is worth having in a collection since it is limited edition.)
    Armani Code by Armani (Safe buy for someone your age in my opinion.)
    Ed Hardy Love & Luck by Christian Audigier (If you can't afford Milesime Imperial, this one will do.)
    Fuel For Life by Diesel
    Fierce by Abercrombie and Fitch (Citrus + Woods.)

For the Creed's, go to Holt Renfrew in Canada. If you can't find any fragrances at Shoppers/The Bay... than check our FragranceNet and order from there... it's Canada friendly (no duties on shipments.) Use the basenotes code to get 15% off.

Best of luck from one Canadian to another haha!
    Last edited by Axcell; 26th May 2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

It really depends on what realm of fragrance you are looking for. I like Unforgivable, but, I find it a very casual fragrance. Have you tried Cool Water, Acqua Di Gio, and/or Fahrenheit yet? In my opinion those are very good "starting out" scents. You could also look in to scents such as Live Jazz, Mugler Cologne, or the Chanel line (Platinum Egoiste, Allure Sport...) All of which are easy to wear, pleasing scents that aren't dense and overbearing. None will give off the ever feared "old man scent" *gasp* either.

May I recommend..

Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense
    Hugo Boss No.6/Bottled
    Gucci Pour Homme II

I have Rochas Man too, lovely fragrance, very nice in the cold freezing air.

Alright guys. I've settled on a 100% buy for Rochas. I'll keep this thread saved for when I actually get a damn job and can start buying my own fragrances instead of relying on my parents . Thanks for the input everyone, especially to the fellow Canadian . I really enjoy Unforgivable, but 2 hours is unacceptable so I think I still need to decide between Le Male, Joop Jump, and Unforgivable. La Nuit has also caught my eye...

Hard to answer...I've never seen perfumes that says on the box "For 17 years old only". Wear whatever pleases you mate. =)

Hahaha, I guess you're right volley, I just don't know how to title these threads in the future.

Also, just applied my Joop Jump sample and all I can say is COUGH COUGH COUGH. Something overwhelmingly alcohol about this scent, and I'm not a fan of it, it's very intense and synthetic smelling to me.

Joop is 100% out for me, over the next few days I'll be applying Le Male, and Paris and Unforgivable again.

Rochas will probably be my go-to casual scent. Secondary scent I've settled on Unforgiven, but I'm easily swayed at the moment .

I might just blind buy La Nuit and Lolita Lempicka in replacement of Unforgivable...

Out of your list, I would definitely pick Unforgivable and Le Male. I absolutely love both of those. Also, if you have TJ Maxx/Marshalls in your area, you can find Sean Jean's Unforgivable and his other scent, I Am King, discounted. I picked up a 30ml bottle of Unforgivable for $14.99 at Marshalls.

As far as the Paris Hilton scent goes. I tried the original Paris Hilton for men and didn't care for it too much either. The watermelon/cucumber note was ok, but I didn't like the heavy woods in the base. I do, however, highly recommend one of her other fragrances; Paris Hilton Just Me for men. It is a copy of Acqua Di Gio, except to me it is better. (more intense & longer lasting). If you like ADG or fruity aquatic summer scents, you'll definitely like it.

As far as Rochas Man goes. I was underwhelmed by it as well. It just seemed kind of bland and nondescript to me. All I got was a syrupy sweet floral type smell (I didn't get vanilla, chocolate, or coffee at all). I also kinda felt the same way about Lolita Lempicka. To me, these are just too subtle. If I am wearing a gourmand, I tend to prefer ones that are more aggressive and ones that really represent real food notes. My favorite of these types of scents would be Le Male, Blue Sugar by Aqualina, Hanae Mori HM, and A Men. (although A Men would be better without all the patchouli. I think Blue Sugar is a better version of A Men).

Also, with summer coming, if you like aquatics & fresh scents, and are just starting out, I would sample Cool Water, Live Jazz, and Acqua Di Gio (or one of the copycats; Perry Ellis 360 Red or Paris Hilton's Just Me). These 3 scents make a great start to a summer/warm weather collection.