Code of Conduct

Default How to Extend the Life of Your Disposable Razor

This really works. Some guy is on day 132 of the same razor by doing this. I wouldn't do that, but realistically you can easily triple or quadruple the life of the things, especially if you do this technique after every shaving, including after the first time you use your razor.

Last edited by adonis; 27th May 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Extend the Life of Your Disposable Razor

Fascinating! I'll have to show my husband this just for fun-- maybe he'll even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Fascinating! I'll have to show my husband this just for fun-- maybe he'll even try it.
    Please try it, it's surprisingly effective - just don't use a good pair of jeans

I have no affiliation - and am taken with the effectiveness of the Razor Pit.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224262-The-Razorpit

I've tried this and I can say it actually works. It won't be the closest shave you've ever had or the sharpest blade, but if you're in a pinch and all you have is a dull razor then the jeans trick can help you out.

I might try this, though I am so far pleased with the longevity of my razor, yet it never hurts to try something new!
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

I had friends who swore that leaving their blades under a pyramid did the same thing. One of them eventually grew a beard for some reason.
    Renato

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

I use the smooth side of a leather belt, that just fits the blade width of my triple-bladed disposable razors, in much the same fashion as the video shows. Works like a charm. Easy, light pressure and about 3-4 foot long strokes using several alignment angles of the head beginning with the handle farther up from the leather to handle touching the leather brings the edge back to near original sharpness for somewhere around 30 shaves. After about 3 dozen shaves with a unit the very thin edge wears/breaks off enough to prevent a really good sharpening (which is really just a re-alignment of the extreme outermost molecular aspect of the metal edge)

The only problem is that the underside of the blade edge is impossible to touch with any stropping agent and a portion of the metal molecules are always bent toward there and cannot be re-aligned for a return close to the original edge molecular alignment
    Only the fool would take trouble to verify that his sentence was composed of ten as, three bs, four cs, four ds, forty-six es, sixteen fs, four gs, thirteen hs, fifteen is, two ks, nine ls, four ms, twenty-five ns, twenty-four os, five ps, sixteen rs, forty-one ss, thirty-seven ts, ten us, eight vs, eight ws, four xs, eleven ys, twenty-seven commas, twenty-three apostrophes, seven hyphens and, last but not least, a single!

Go ahead. Test the veracity of this (1960s I think) pre-computer generated masterpiece of self-referential sentences.
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

So this is the shaving equivalent of using a honing steel to realign the edge on a good chef's knife?

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    So this is the shaving equivalent of using a honing steel to realign the edge on a good chef's knife?
    With the exception that you can only strop one side of the razor blade of a fixed bladed disposable, thus never being able to correctly reposition the metal molecules of the edge bent away from the outside surface, yes indeed, in my opinion.
    Only the fool would take trouble to verify that his sentence was composed of ten as, three bs, four cs, four ds, forty-six es, sixteen fs, four gs, thirteen hs, fifteen is, two ks, nine ls, four ms, twenty-five ns, twenty-four os, five ps, sixteen rs, forty-one ss, thirty-seven ts, ten us, eight vs, eight ws, four xs, eleven ys, twenty-seven commas, twenty-three apostrophes, seven hyphens and, last but not least, a single!

Go ahead. Test the veracity of this (1960s I think) pre-computer generated masterpiece of self-referential sentences.
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    With the exception that you can only strop one side of the razor blade of a fixed bladed disposable, thus never being able to correctly reposition the metal molecules of the edge bent away from the outside surface, yes indeed, in my opinion.
    Good point, thanks.

I might try this with some DE blades, which obviously can be removed to allow realignment from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    i had friends who swore that leaving their blades under a pyramid did the same thing. One of them eventually grew a beard for some reason.
    Renato
    lol

I'm on the 12th shave of the same disposable razor. Still going strong, the shave is just as close as the 1st time I used it.

After trying incredibly hard to extend the life of my Gillette cartridges I have found no better way than Razorpit. It doesn't get them 'as sharp as new' but it does make them stick around for a whole lot longer. I bought mine cheap online from (deleted) but I think alot of places stock them now.

If you are serious about keeping your blades shave worthy, I would definitely recommend it!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 31st July 2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spammer

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

This is truly fascinating. I have got to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is truly fascinating. I have got to try this.
    The Razorpit or running your razor over denim?

The Razorpit is a winner. Previously I was a blade-a-week person getting 5, possibly 6 shaves from the Mach 3. With the razor pit I am easily getting a month; and in fact swapped today after 6 weeks (and if pressed, I probably could have gone a little longer).

It's not about sharpening the blades in the cartridge, but cleaning them really well.

Lady BNers who use blades on legs and underarms would do well to consider one.

(I still have no affiliation and offer this as an unpaid and voluntary testimonial).

really did work, I'll be doing this before every shave