Code of Conduct

Default Looking for something that smells like these 3 things. Please help :) Newbie... be gentle.

Hi guys

I've been lurking this forum for a while now & Love it... so thought I'd finally actually join up.

If you could help me with finding any of these scents I would be mega happy.

1. Datura inoxia flowers. I would love to find a fragrance that captures this. I have some of the plants (Big ethnobotany geek right here) & The scent they release at night is otherwordly... totally beautiful & hypnotic. Is there any perfume out there that gets anything like this? Something that is quite a true representaion of the individual flowers smell would be nice.
    Think the closest I've come is some tuberose type scents.

2. The Forest. I want something that smells very much of the woods. Think rich mossy & earthy.. maybe after rain in the summer months. Again the more actual & natural the better.

3. Just anything that is nice & green floral or earthy... recomendations would be brilliant.

x

Default Re: Looking for something that smells like these 3 things. Please help :) Newbie... be gentle.

For 2: Aoud Forest

Default Re: Looking for something that smells like these 3 things. Please help :) Newbie... be gentle.

For 2, oakmoss, which used to be present in the drydown part of so called chypre perfumes (eg Mitsouko by Guerlain), had that effect, but oakmoss has regrettably been banned.

For 3, my favorite green floral is Temps d'une fete by Patricia de Nicolai. Private collection by Estee Lauder is a somewhat rougher but easier to find one.

You make me want to find and smell some of these types of daturas. The daturas I've seen (datura stramonium) are poisonous and the leaves smell that way.

cacio

Blog Entries

I saw your other posting on the same subject of datura scents. You got some excellent responses there, so this is really a duplicate isn't it?
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

1. Datura inoxia flowers. White Datura, Datura Blanche, Titania
    2. The Forest. Knize Forest, Zagorsk, Parfum D'Habit, Hinoki, Lalique White, Pino Silvestre, Eloge Du Traitre, Chene.
    3. Just anything that is nice & green floral or earthy InsensŤ, Le Troisieme Homme, Lonach, Jardins De Kerylos, CDG for Stephen Jones, Knize Two

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    I saw your other posting on the same subject of datura scents. You got some excellent responses there, so this is really a duplicate isn't it?
    Ah yes... I made a n00b mistake & wrote out my post again :/.. as you can probably tell from the one being worded differently from this one. I thought my first post hadn't posted to the board as it wasn't displayed in the section I posted in. I understand how it's not exactly linear now though

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys... they are great! Yeah it is a shame they banned oakmoss Didn't a fair few things get banned recently?

Cacio, the Datura inoxia I have is the best smelling of them all. Some of the tree Datura (A.K.A Brugmansia are very pretty but don't smell perfumed at night like the other Datura). Yes they are all very poisonous, Though some cultures (& some very silly people who think they can handle her power) have taken them for their hallucinatory qualities.
    The bad smell you speak of is the smell it releases when the flesh, stem or leaves are damaged. I would liken the stench to rancid peanut butter. Not pleasant It has a nick name I believe of 'Stinkweed' in the U.S.
    x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datura-Darling View Post
    Cacio, the Datura inoxia I have is the best smelling of them all. Some of the tree Datura (A.K.A Brugmansia are very pretty but don't smell perfumed at night like the other Datura).
    Stinkweed?! typical for some of my more pedestrian compatriots - but granted the non-floral parts are sort of...shall I say...bitter? On brugmannsias, have you smelled some of the newer cultivars? I think Logee's has some really fragrant ones...
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Blog Entries

Oh, and by the way, Eden Botanicals does sell oak moss - I'm no good with computers but this might take you there...
    http://tinyurl.com/3qp5gmd
    and they say it is "legal" even by the draconian standards of the bureacratic dictators over in Europe.

Blog Entries

Oh and just ran across this blurb: "The beginning of Indian Saffron is shockingly, gloriously earthy".
    From a review of Montale's Indian Saffron.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    1. Datura inoxia flowers. White Datura, Datura Blanche, Titania
    2. The Forest. Knize Forest, Zagorsk, Parfum D'Habit, Hinoki, Lalique White, Pino Silvestre, Eloge Du Traitre, Chene.
    3. Just anything that is nice & green floral or earthy InsensŤ, Le Troisieme Homme, Lonach, Jardins De Kerylos, CDG for Stephen Jones, Knize Two
    AHMAZING!
    Thanks so much that is a lovely list of scents to look into that you've posted. Many thanks

x

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Oh, and by the way, Eden Botanicals does sell oak moss - I'm no good with computers but this might take you there...
    http://tinyurl.com/3qp5gmd
    and they say it is "legal" even by the draconian standards of the bureacratic dictators over in Europe.
    Nice find!!! Thank you

x