Code of Conduct

Question I work in the Fashion Industry. Can you help me find the ideal scent?

Hello gentlemen, how'd you do?
    I'm a young man in my twenties working in the Fashion Industry as an assistant to a famous photographer. I have mostly used Erolfa by Creed so far because it seems to be one of the rare scents that do not give me a headache. I have also tried Floris 89, 127, Penhaligon's Elixir etc and all those give me terrible headaches and visions of murder and bloodshed. Okay, maybe not but it maks me feel really bad, I once had to shower 8 times because I couldn't stand the smell anymore. In the past I also wore Blue by Ralph Lauren but I find it much too chemical for my taste, it did not give me headaches however.
    Since I would ask you for advice on which would be the next scent to try I think it is essential to write a bit about my personality; after all a man will usually smell of what he really is, or that is my opinion at least.
    As I said I work in the Fashion Industry, a mean and tough environment where you can show no weakness or must be prepared to loose everything. When I work i am not really myself. I become this arrogant, imposing person that has to lead a team of junior assistants, meet clients on behalf of the photographer, fashion designers, magazine editors and agency bookers. Basically I have to be as intimidating as i can while oozing class.

Advice? As I said I get headaches easily but I think I might try a Vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I work in the Fashion Industry. Can you help me find the ideal scent?

Hi, and welcome
    I don't know what makes you get headaches so, be careful I guess..

Loewe Esencia
    Caron Yatagan
    Malle Bois D'orage
    TF Italian Cypress
    Amouage Epic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I work in the Fashion Industry. Can you help me find the ideal scent?

For Vetivers:

Sycomore by Chanel
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle

Givenchy Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

For intimidation, it will be hard to beat Bandit (Piguet), a butch s&m green leather curiously marketed to women (presumably the ones who used to appear in helmut newton's pics). Still in the leather genre, also butch, but perhaps a little more classy, Knize Ten. A bit naughtier, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale.

+1 Yatagan.

cacio

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    For intimidation, it will be hard to beat Bandit (Piguet), a butch s&m green leather curiously marketed to women (presumably the ones who used to appear in helmut newton's pics). Still in the leather genre, also butch, but perhaps a little more classy, Knize Ten. A bit naughtier, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale.

+1 Yatagan.

cacio
    Agree.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=volley2;2181847]For Vetivers:

Sycomore by Chanel
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle[/QUOTE

+1 Perfect choice

Post Thanks / Like

If your under a lot of stress and under heat of lights during a shoot you might like to add

Penhaligon' - Douro or Castille
    Frederic Malles - Gerainum Pour Monsieur

Intimidate juniors = Guerlains - Tonka Imperiale

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme EDP - Clean, crisp - created by a guy who is allergic to everything. You'll never be accused of being "that cologne guy" if you wear Gendarme. It's quite an appropriate scent if you're working in close proximity to others.

http://gendarme.com/products.asp
    Last edited by adonis; 27th May 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony M. View Post
    I become this arrogant, imposing person... Basically I have to be as intimidating as i can while oozing class.
    Sounds a little like Frank Sinatra. lol Perhaps the fragrance he supposedly wore, Bois du Portugal, would be a good choice. It is a Creed like you current Erolfa so maybe this won't give you a headache either. As with any Creed I would sample before buying a full bottle. Welcome and good luck in your search and career!

Thanks everyone I tried a few today and some of which you suggested as well but most gave me headaches. Suddenly I tried L'Instant Homme de Guerlain, pun intended and loved it! I think I found my candidate. Today a female colleague noticed it and made a compliment, however she also said that perhaps I was a bit young to wear it. Whatever that means but she liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Instant Homme by Guerlain! Why didnt WE think of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus.

Post Thanks / Like

Advice? As I said I get headaches easily but I think I might try a Vetiver.
    Lavender is supposed to be calming, maybe more than vetiver, but it's hard to beat an aged sample of Haitian vetiver - smoky woody goodness. Besides, if anyone remarks on how mellow your cologne/perfume is you can remind them that it's far cheaper than defending a manslaughter charge.

Caron, Pour Un Homme
    MPG, Route du Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Guerlain, Jicky

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Anthony, your description of your life, at work, is certainly the omega to my alpha. I can't imagine anyone more different! Completely perfect poles apart.

Well sounds like you found your scent. So good for you. I am not familiar with L'Instant so will pass on that. I have a high sensitivity to fragrances so in that we are alike. I have been discovering that in order to avoid the sneezes I get (not headaches) and the need to wash some scents off with vinegar, hot water and anything else I can think of, I need to stay with colognes which are very light, of limited duration, and fairly old-fashioned, things like 4711. These would most likely be safe. As to whether they would mesh with your "Frank Sinatra-esque" persona is another matter!
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

DeepSilence

Safari For Men
    Azzaro Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have imagined L'Instant for intimidating, but it is a great scent. Might be fun to try some others, but if you can wear it, wear it and enjoy. There's something to be said for just plain smelling good. Also as for age I think a reasonably young man could wear it, no need to be solidly middle aged for it.

And welcome to basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    I wouldn't have imagined L'Instant for intimidating, but it is a great scent. Might be fun to try some others, but if you can wear it, wear it and enjoy. There's something to be said for just plain smelling good. Also as for age I think a reasonably young man could wear it, no need to be solidly middle aged for it.

And welcome to basenotes.
    Thank you! Today I got some less favourable comments though, one person said I smelled like a Candy store and my aunt hated it so much that she had me leave the room...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Today I got some less favourable comments though, one person said I smelled like a Candy store and my aunt hated it so much that she had me leave the room...
    Maybe you are wearing too much? Try cutting down on the number of spritzes. Some of the guys on this forum talk about using 10-12 sprays of a scent. YIKES! If that's you, just cut it by at least 1/2 and that might help. If you are a restrained user of the atomizer, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're in close proximity to a lot of different people, you should find a crowd pleaser on the clean side of the spectrum. L'Instant is going to give off that chocolatel candy vibe which some folks are not going to enjoy. Considering your type of work, you need to think of your audience perhaps even more than about yourself.

The Chanel Exclusifs (exclusive to the Chanel Boutiques) ooze class and don't produce too much sillage if applied accordingly. Cuir de Russie or Sycomore might be worth trying?

Post Thanks / Like

French Lover/Bois d'Orage has a certain authoritative aura.

Post Thanks / Like

Try L'Heure Fougueuse IV (Cartier).

Love the Chanel Exclusifs suggestion. I would have said Bois des Iles or 31 Rue Cambon.

Chanel Pour Monsieur would be another fount of unassailable cool. Some people think of it as an older guy's fragrance, but the contrast of that with a hip young guy could be very intriguing and very confident.

Post Thanks / Like

I would second Bois d'Orage/French Lover and add Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company. Neither give me headaches (some frags do); both smell assertive but clean and interesting. But I don't know very many frags yet.

In my experience various people have very strong, very illogical ideas about which fragrance scents go with what age. It's mostly nonsense. Maybe a particular note reminds them of someone or somewhere -- nothing you can do about it.

And six spritzes is way too many if you work in close quarters with anyone! Try one. Seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, arrogant and imposing but classy? Sounds just like Tom Ford's collection. Try the more edgy ones like Japon Noire and Italian Cypress instead of the sweet Tobacco Vanille and Amber Absolute which are more popular.

Also, if you want something more subtle and quite edgy, I find Comme Des Garcon's frag's generally do a woody, smokey, spicey thing. Classy and arrogant? not really. but they're quite abstract, artistic, and subtle which I suspect will actually suite your needs better.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads