Code of Conduct

Question Dior Homme Sport 2008 vs 2012

I am wondering what is the difference between the two editions.

There are mixed opinions around

Which one is better and recommended by you?

Is the 2008 edition batch still produced ?
    Last edited by sting1; 4th November 2014 at 05:43 AM.

Default Re: Dior Homme Sport 2008 vs 2012

Mine is the original from 2008 and I think mine is great. I honestly don't remember trying what's out there now so I really can't comment as to the differences.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have both, and find them to be quite different.

2008: Much more ginger - a simpler fresher scent. Excellent in warm weather during days.

2012: Much more iris. A more complex scent. A little more versatile and geared for slightly cooler weather or evenings.

Love both. The one I like better would depend on my mood that day and the weather.

No, the 2008 has been discontinued. It was still floating around a little while back, but I'm not sure if it still is. You may have to look a bit harder these days.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

2008: Much more ginger - a simpler fresher scent. Excellent in warm weather during days.

2012: Much more iris. A more complex scent. A little more versatile and geared for slightly cooler weather or evenings.

Love both. The one I like better would depend on my mood that day and the weather.

No, the 2008 has been discontinued. It was still floating around a little while back, but I'm not sure if it still is. You may have to look a bit harder these days.
    +1. dougczar is absolutely right on the spot.

I bought DHS in September 2013, and searched to get myself the 2008 formulation bottle since I live in hot climate. But I had tried out the 2012 version before buying and would very slightly prefer the 2012 version. Living in hot climate and the fact that the 2012 version is here to stay (relative to the 2008 version) made me go for the older one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I would say the 2012 has a little more Iris, rather than much more. It's in there, but subtle. I prefer the 2012. 2008 had too much ginger for me. I prefer the new Dior homme cologne over both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I would say the 2012 has a little more Iris, rather than much more. It's in there, but subtle. I prefer the 2012. 2008 had too much ginger for me. I prefer the new Dior homme cologne over both of them.
    How is the Dior Homme cologne compared to DHS? How would it be in hot weather?

"Dior Homme Sport 2012" should have another name. Dior Homme Sport, the original and the only one, is a champ. Fortunately, it's my version and, in my opinion, the best summer scent.

Love both but like the 2008 a lot more. Both very different, 2008 is more simple lemon ginger scent done amazing. 2012 has iris and that dior homme feel to it which makes me like it less when very hot out. Cologne version is great too reminds me a little of allure homme sport cologne

2008 is not produced anymore but still very easy to find for retail or cheaper. Saw a bunch on ebay a few weeks ago.

2008 Ginger and lemon
    2012 more similar to Dior Homme but fresher and with lemon in the opening.

Basenotes Plus

I owned the older formula and didnt care for it. I have tried the newer stuff and I find it much more appealing as I am a fan of the iris note. The previous version was a lemon/ginger bomb on my skin. And while the lemon note was quality its not my favorite due to my mental association with cleaning products.
    If you are one of those people who insist on paying full retail......Please check out my for sale thread.

Have samples of both. 2008 has more ginger. 2012 has more iris.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I prefer Cologne 2013. It's different than DHS, fresh lemon with musky dry down. Simple and really good, refreshing in hot weather.

The cologne is perfect for hot weather; more refreshing than either of the sports. It has good longevity as well. It's soft, so you can spray with abandon and it will never be overpowering.

The cologne is perfect for hot weather; more refreshing than either of the sports. It has good longevity as well. It's soft, so you can spray with abandon and it will never be overpowering.

Agree wholeheartedly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by psebi101 View Post
    I prefer Cologne 2013. It's different than DHS, fresh lemon with musky dry down. Simple and really good, refreshing in hot weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    Ok, thanks!

They smell similar enough that if you like one you'll probably like the other. The 2008 version is stronger, but the ginger is also stronger and can come off as a bit harsh if you're not a big ginger fan. I also get more of an aquatic accord in the 2008 version. In contrast, the 2012 version is heavier on the iris and is quite bit smoother in the opening. The ginger is still there, but it's blended more with the iris. Personally I prefer the 2012 version because it has a complexity that separates it from the name "sport." The 2008 version is more true to it's name which isn't a bad thing either.

I prefer the older version, the ginger is more prominent and is more effervescent and gives a more reinvigorating feeling , which I do not get with the current bottle, which is too heavy on the iris and does not feel sporty.