Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which receives more unsolicited compliments?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino

14 56.00%
  • Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Acqua Universalis Forte

11 44.00%

Default Compliments: Neroli Portofino or Acqua Universalis Forte?

Recently I have been sampling freshies, looking for good longevity, projection and sillage.

The two that I have been most fascinated by are Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino and Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Acqua Universalis Forte.

For those with experience with both fragrances, do you receive more unsolicited compliments with Neroli Portofino or Acqua Universalis Forte? I am trying to get a (admittedly unscientific) feel for which one is more appealing to the general population.

Default Re: Compliments: Neroli Portofino or Acqua Universalis Forte?

Compliments? Probably slight nod to NP.

Longevity: Slight nod to AUF

If you want something a little soapy, go with NP. If you want a fresh linen scent, AUF.

Can't go wrong either way.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

The MFK is a much stronger fragrance, and hence, would likely garner more compliments.

Neroli Portofino

From those I only own Neroli Portofino and its a good compliment getter. Sampled AUF but didn't like it (so I dont know about compliments with this one)

MfkAuF✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Dead heat so far. Damn... Lol.

May I reccomend APOM in lieu of the aforementioned picks both in terms of longevity and compliments.

Otherwise I would choose AUF, as NP has terrible performance IMO.

FTR I like Acqua Universalis a lot more than AUF.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJag View Post
    May I reccomend APOM in lieu of the aforementioned picks both in terms of longevity and compliments.
    And I agree with this.

Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Acqua Universalis Forte by far.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Are you using NP on hot days? I find that it has bad performance only when the weather is cooler than usual.

I'm desperately in love with Neroli Portofino, but it's not because I want to smell it on a partner. I covet a bottle of it for myself.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I revisited NP today in 80F weather and could barely smell it on myself after 3-4 hrs. I don't want my own experience to dissuade you, however!

I revisited NP today in 80F weather and could barely smell it on myself after 3-4 hrs. I don't want my own experience to dissuade you, however!
    Hmmm, ouch . The performance is good for me, about 8-12 hours for both NP and AUF in hot weather.

How do you find these two compare in terms of popularity? I will need to try the APOM recommendation. Is it a fresh citrus/floral suitable for summer? In California we have very hot, dry summers.

Basenotes Plus

MFK Aqua Universalis Forte gets a huge smile and compliments every time I wear it. My girlfriend loves the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    I'm desperately in love with Neroli Portofino, but it's not because I want to smell it on a partner. I covet a bottle of it for myself.
    I love this scent too but get awful longevity, around 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
    I love this scent too but get awful longevity, around 2 hours
    Hmmm... This one, along with a few other scents, should come with a warning label: Will not last unless you live in a desert.

Looks like these two are almost permanently tied... Need to sample them more I guess lol.

Thanks everyone .

Basenotes Plus

Owned NP and have sampled AUF, AUF is by far better in terms of scent, sillage, longevity and compliments.
    Current top 5.

1. FM - Musc Ravageur ( Lovely cinammon and vanilla mix )
    2. Xerjoff - Kobe ( Very well made and addictive )
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille ( Sparks my imagination of an old English shop )
    4. Creed - Aventus ( Lovely pineapple, great longevity and sillage )
    5. Nasomatto - Black Afgano ( Unique and long lasting as it's parfum )

Haven't tried NP, but I must say that I'm not a fan of AUF. I'm also not a fan of APOM. Not sure I understand the love for MFK.

I hated MFK at first but have since come to love the house. His fragrances are well-crafted, beautifully subtle (or not, in the case of AUF), and very well received by those around me. Lumiere Noire and AUF in particular seem to get the most attention.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    Are you using NP on hot days? I find that it has bad performance only when the weather is cooler than usual.
    Ah! This would explain why I was so perplexed about the poor longevity comments above. I sampled NP on a summer day and was blown away by the excellent longevity. I was actually glad you posted this because I've been debating these scents too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Ah! This would explain why I was so perplexed about the poor longevity comments above. I sampled NP on a summer day and was blown away by the excellent longevity. I was actually glad you posted this because I've been debating these scents too.
    Glad to hear! Both are excellent, but the performance of NP is far more affected by weather than AUF. AUF seems to perform better across a wider spectrum of temperatures, but in hot weather NP is unrivaled.

This post was made quite some time ago, and I ended up purchasing AUF. However, I know that I will soon be getting a bottle of NP also. They are both excellent scents, and I really can't imagine passing up on either one. Both seem to receive enthusiastic compliments.

Basenotes Junkie

I hated MFK at first but have since come to love the house. His fragrances are well-crafted, beautifully subtle (or not, in the case of AUF), and very well received by those around me. Lumiere Noire and AUF in particular seem to get the most attention.

I cant begin to imagine what kind of attention Lumiere Noire gets, probally the most offensive and horrific fragrance ive smelt to date.

ON a lighter note, Amyris Homme is borderline stunning for me, predictable maybe but beautiful. Smells so elegant and good.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    I cant begin to imagine what kind of attention Lumiere Noire gets, probally the most offensive and horrific fragrance ive smelt to date.

ON a lighter note, Amyris Homme is borderline stunning for me, predictable maybe but beautiful. Smells so elegant and good.
    Wow really? Different strokes I guess. Lumiere Noire is the most complimented rose fragrance I have ever tried. I get tons of positive feedback on this one, but perhaps it works with my skin.

On the other hand, Amyris is one of my least favorites of the MFK line. It is well-crafted and smells great, however it has a "sport designer" feel to it due to the use of some aromachemical that someone else might be able to identify.

Wow really? Different strokes I guess. Lumiere Noire is the most complimented rose fragrance I have ever tried. I get tons of positive feedback on this one, but perhaps it works with my skin.
    Yup. Lumiere Noire isn't for me, but it's excellent and I really enjoyed sampling it. It's such a great rose.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Junkie

Lumiere Noire just smells like some very ill persons warm urine sample to me, and it has the colour to match too.

It actually makes me feel ill

I also get many compliments on Lumiere, not just being a rose scent, but just overall.

Basenotes Junkie

Perhaps its Absolute Pour Le Soir that im thinking of, its either that or Lumiere Noire, I always get them mixed up.

Its a dirty brown/orange colour and it smells like warm urine with some dirty spice, it is vile whichever one it is anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Perhaps its Absolute Pour Le Soir that im thinking of, its either that or Lumiere Noire, I always get them mixed up.

Its a dirty brown/orange colour and it smells like warm urine with some dirty spice, it is vile whichever one it is anyway...
    You are almost certainly referring to Absolu Pour Le Soir. Lumiere Noire is light yellow in color and does not give off a urine vibe. There are spices in Lumiere Noire, including cumin (as a seed, not the sweaty cumin), but I would not consider them "dirty". On the other hand, Absolu Pour Le Soir is a darker brownish/orange color, comes off animalic with a urine tinge, and has a more "dirty" spice note that seems covered in honey.

I love Lumiere Noire, but also can't stand Absolu Pour Le Soir, though some seem to find it quite erotic.