Code of Conduct

Red face Sonoma Scent Studio TABAC AUREA Mini Review

I was able to recently give Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea or "Golden Tobacco" several wearings over the past few weaks and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I decided to write a mini review to share my thoughts and request feedback from other members who have tried Tabac Aurea. I have thus far been impressed with my Sonoma sampling and hope to add at least one of Laurie's fine creations to my wardrobe:

Tabaco Aurea is one of the few modern creations that really has me excited. I feel Tabac Aurea is a good balance between varying presentations of tobacco seen in many different fragrances. It's not as musty or uptight as Vintage Tabarome, not a leafy green as La Via del Profumo, and not as boozy-spicy as Cuba. The opening is beautiful though slightly sweet cherry-plum tobacco accord that is natural and close to the skin. All of the heavy aspects here work well together (I usually don't favor heavy components like labdanum, vanilla, leather,etc). Despite its extrait concentration, the sillage is restrained and wears close to the skin for many hours. A pure joy. Every time I open the gift box that contains my sample, I smell the most beautiful pipe tobacco accord settled into the paper of the box.

I feel, overall, that Tabac Aurea could have been released in the height of the Roaring Twenties when tobacco fragrances like Habanita and Vintage Tabarome where popular though it is more restrained than either of those. This is the kind of perfumery that I really appreciate.

Default Re: Sonoma Scent Studio TABAC AUREA Mini Review

Nice review! And, again, as I always thought you have really good taste, this is one to look after.

Very nice review and I agree that Tabac Aurea is a fantastic fragrance. High quality and extremely well blended. This house deserves a lot more credit than it's given.

Thanks for sharing your experience ... Nice review !

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    This house deserves a lot more credit than it's given.
    +1 And Laurie's a sweetheart. But the bottle prices have gone up since I last sampled the line in late 2009. Better get some of these extraits sold at EDP prices before prices start heading north again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1 And Laurie's a sweetheart. But the bottle prices have gone up since I last sampled the line in late 2009. Better get some of these extraits sold at EDP prices before prices start heading north again.
    I've almost bought Fireside Intense several times. Winter Woods also looks like a winner.

My samples just arrived also, nice line of fragrance but the only one that intetest me so far is Siena Musk and maybe Wood Violet I have to put WV to the test first to make a decision on that.. Btw nice review.

Cmax...

Got a 5 pack of samples in the mail from SSS - can't wait!

Thanks for the review!

I'm glad this line is getting some coverage here. I hope to try more from SSS.

Buy within next 6 weeks ( without the box ) and save $3.50

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Buy within next 6 weeks ( without the box ) and save $3.50
    Reference is stickied on the blog: http://sonomascent.wordpress.com/

Bokaba, your review makes me really want to try this. I didn't like SSS's "Winter Woods" at all (too sweet), but I'd like to try this. There can never be too many good quality tobacco fragrances in the world.

Something between the stuffiness of Tabarome and the balls-out spiciness of Cuba sounds good to me.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I really enjoy this house. Customer service is tip top. I wish there were more just like it.

I've been sampling Tabac Aurea as well recently. Self-admittedly, my nose is a little quirky... the "slightly sweet cherry-plum tobacco accord" Mr. Bokaba so aptly refers to comes off as a real pungent rum raisin ice cream sensation to me. Heavy and close to the skin. I get the same affect to a lesser degree from Ambre Russe. THIS is a very good thing; brings back fond memories. Matching it to the right setting might prove a challenge, although pairing with any cigar smoking event would probably be as good a place to start as any. One smell would accentuate the other quite nicely I think.

Thanks for the review Mr. Bokaba.

I am glad you guys like my review. I agree that the atmosphere has to be right for Tabac Aurea, but I also see it as more laid back than many other tobaccos (perhaps with the exception of the beautiful yet simple Alt-Innsbruck EdC). SSS has a website where one may order single or multiple samples at reasonable prices. I encourage anyone on the fence about Tabac Aurea to at least give it a try. The high concentration keeps it dense but never overpowering. I have to say that of the tobacco fragrances I've tried thus far, Tabac Aurea is in the top three with Vintage Tabarome and Alt-Innsbruck.

I tried this early this week. On my skin, I didn't get much tobacco, and sandalwood was the dominant note. While I find it nice and very well blended, I was hoping for a more pronounced dried tobacco note similar to Tobacco Vanille and Back to Black.

There are many good tobacco scents out there. Thus far I feel Tabac Aurea is the best blended and most exciting to my nose. I'm still waiting to try Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac and Tobacco Vanille. For the clearest tobacco, try Profumo's Tabac--it is the pure essence of the plant as if you were to break the raw leaves and smell them--pungent yet clear.

I find the SSS Tabac vaguely musky and sour, which happens on my skin with many tobacco fragrances. Might have considered it as a niche fragrance, but my wife hated it.

This one is next on my to by list. How is it in its current state?