Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Amazon versus ebay for buying/selling of perfumes

Hi,
    I am very interested to know your opinions. Advantages/disadvantages/comparisons between these two sites.
    Today I have been reading tonnes of negative press articles about ebay. Sellers are now leaving ebay in droves and moving to Amazon, because there is only one fee, (when and if you sell an item). Many sellers have complained about the high/ double charges with ebay. First you are charged a high fee to list the item, even if it does not sell. If it does sell you are charged a second high fee. Amazon, apparently does not do this - and charges lower fees altogether. Although ebay is at the moment the better known site, it seems from the various independent articles I have read, that things are changing very rapidly in favour of Amazon.
    Also, does anyone have opinions/advice re Amazons instant payment system, (equivalent to paypal) ?

I have never used Amazon for buying or selling perfumes, but it does now sound like a very attractive option to ebay.
    Comments very welcome, David.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Default Re: Amazon versus ebay for buying/selling of perfumes

I do not trust Ebay but I have bought and sold a lot of things with Amazon and find them easy and straightforward to use. The only drawback is whatever you sell has to be already on their database and there are a few restrictions. But all in all I favor Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I do not trust Ebay but I have bought and sold a lot of things with Amazon and find them easy and straightforward to use. The only drawback is whatever you sell has to be already on their database and there are a few restrictions. But all in all I favor Amazon.
    Thanks Jack for your comments. What exactly do you mean by "already on their database"........presumably most discontinued /obscure rarities would not be listed on their database ??

Post Thanks / Like

One of the articles I read was in the NYTimes.com, entitled, " The Depth of eBayŽs Problems ".

They work by a code system so if the product is not listed by them then in my experience you cannot sell. And they do not always sell the rare or obscure fragrances. There are other restrictions as well but I just cannot remember them at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like Amazon a little better, but I'm still a little wary on both of them. I try to only buy on Basenotes, or I prefer buying my fragrances in person.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Most sellers are triple-charged by Ebay... Once to list item, then after item sells, then by PayPal when money is transferred (Ebay bought PayPal).

I NEVER buy fragrances from Ebay. NEVER. I once received a fake YSL l'Homme from a seller with 10,000+ positive feedback. Ebay is just a damn cesspool IMO.

I buy most of my fragrances from Amazon, however I only buy stuff "shipped & sold by Amazon.com". Ebay is too dangerous and chaotic for me, only buy atomizers and decant equipments there

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought over 40 fragrances on Ebay and have yet to receive a fake. Most of the power sellers offer a 7 day money back guarantee so there's no problems with returning a fake and most I've heard will pay for the return shipping if it is by putting the money in your PayPal account. ScentedMonkey, Fragrancenet, and many other are power sellers on Ebay and most of the one's selling on Amazon are the same companies on Ebay and sell the same products on their websites. Not to mention that PayPal or your credit card covers fraud so all you have to do is file a dispute with PayPal or dispute the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I've bought over 40 fragrances on Ebay and have yet to receive a fake.

*I bought L'instant de guerlain PH extreme tester on ebay from a powerseller named perfu***epot.123, which was totally fake......my very first fragrance buy on ebay!!!!
    You can check it on ebay...that is the only tester on ebay right now.

Most of the power sellers offer a 7 day money back guarantee so there's no problems with returning a fake
    and most I've heard will pay for the return shipping if it is by putting the money in your PayPal account.

*He did not pay for return shipping, not even a reply when asked for the return shipping.

I called ebay....wasted 35 minutes on phone....just to receive the answer as they can not help on return shipping...

SO ULTIMATELY I ENDED UP PAYING $10 EXTRA FOR HAVING A FAKE PERFUME FROM A POWERSELLER AND RETURNING BACK.

Post Thanks / Like

Want to sell a fragrance that's worth over 300, what can I do to protect myself from being scammed? It's a brand new bottle, was wondering if buying insurance on the shipment, taking photos beforehand, and requiring a signature will be enough to stop someone from trying to screw me on the other end. I also don't want to accept returns since once the bottle is sprayed, it's value goes down. Any advice or suggestions on how best to protect myself?