Code of Conduct

Red face Caldey Island Lavender

Well I've given my sample of Caldey Island Lavender some wearings over the past few days after neglecting it for quite some time. I am looking for a natural, beautiful, and simple lavender and I think that Caldey fits the bill quite nicely. The opening emphasizes the more floral side of the purple herb rather than the medicinal side and is likely composed of natural lavender absolute along with other oils. I feel the quality of the lavender oil is similar to that of Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender (minus the vanilla, spices, ambergris, and woods of course). Caldey's heart is somewhat grassy to me perhaps from hay absolute and/or clary sage. The only part I feel could be better done is the base--a light but synthetic smelling musk--not bad and certainly much better than what's done in designer perfumery. I wish Caldey could use perhaps an all natural ambrette seed musk. I am considering buying a full bottle in the near future. Please share whatever thoughts you have regarding Caldey.

To my mind Caldey is probably the best simple lavender--better than say Caron PUH, Yardley, Czech & Speake, and Atkinsons (though it's nice too) and vies only with best complex lavenders such as Arome 3 and Patou Prive.

Default Re: Caldey Island Lavender

D'Orsay's Arome 3 is much better IMO.

Caldey Island Lavender is nice soliflore Lavender and very nice for low price , worth it .
    Last edited by 1234567890; 10th June 2011 at 02:55 PM.

I agree with what you say Caldey Island is a wonderful Lavender and I like the way the focus is on the Lavender flower as opposed to the harsh stringent bracing aspect of it that is part of a lot of lavenders. I use it to help me sleep sometimes at night as I find it calming.

Though I do think for me Czech & Speakes Oxford & Cambridge is another great lavender that is on par with Calder for its wonderful Peppermint and Oakmoss base. There is just something special about that one that I find enchanting.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    To my mind Caldey is probably the best simple lavender
    Yes, it is.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

A very good value for an excellent fragrance.

Given the price, I will probably spring for a bottle soon. It keeps getting more expensive as the US dollar inflates against other international currencies. I view Caldey as old fashioned, perhaps Victorian, lavender tonic.

I agree that the lavender-mint accord in Oxford & Cambridge is quite special, but the oakmoss base is too strong for me.

Here's Turin's article about the fragrance: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...b0f626cb3.aspx

Any other thoughts?