Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default In a completely blind sample wearing, could you really tell the difference between........

Good niche releases and Classic designers ? Imagine having 10 vials of exceptional juice unmarked except with a number and only the person who sent it knows what each number represents.

5 niche and 5 designer completely blind. Do you think you could differentiate them?

Default Re: In a completely blind sample wearing, could you really tell the difference between........

It would depend heavily on the fragrances, naturally.
    I don't think anyone can always differentiate between any designer and niche fragrance.

My answer would be no.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 28th May 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: In a completely blind sample wearing, could you really tell the difference between........

A good way to get a true feeling for a fragrance without bias. For me though it would be a no to.

Something other than smell alone is required to 'register' or 'file' smells in the memory. I suspect I would have trouble with it even if I was familiar with the scents.

If they were all sporty aquas I wouldn't stand a chance...

Blog Entries

If you're doing this, I'm in. I would love to test my nose for the ability to distinguish true older style from modern attempts to recreate it. I would hope to do better than random, but I'm sure I could be fooled. There are some excellent retro classics coming out these days. One would almost have to cheat and look for IFRA-type changes.

I'd most likely choose the quality designer at least 90% of the time.

I reckon I might be able to hit the 50% mark depending on the style of the scents. Not because I have a vast experience of classics and could pick the namees, necessarily, but because in my experience there's a certain feel that differentiates scents from an earlier era to modern stuff. It might get tricky, though, where you have Ellena reprising a classic theme of his own at Malle via Cartier, which in turn was a tribute to Roudnitska . . . or Polge, with Chanel, who has work crosssing a few decades - it would be a hell of an education, either way.

you mean tell whether one fragrance was from a good niche house or a classic designer? There are too many modifiers in that sentence.
    In my limited observations, new designer releases seem to all be in similar genres, that niche brands don't do (why compete in a crowded market). I'd feel pretty confident about knowing what was 'niche' and what was 'designer' from ten randomly selected examples from the past year.

I think it would very difficult.

With so many of us having tried such a wide range of scents, it would have to be a bunch of scents we had never tried.

I tend to think some of the over the top BNers probably could. It is not meant as a knock on designer scents - I have and enjoy many - but there is something a little "safer" about many of them that I think would "read" to some of the hard core. Many, but not all, of the niche scents tend to be a bit less predictable and conventional.

But I don't many think people would score 100%.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th May 2011 at 08:13 PM.

This quite popular on Youtube, with varying degrees of accuracy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'd most likely choose the quality designer at least 90% of the time.
    This
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    It would depend heavily on the fragrances, naturally.
    agree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    This quite popular on Youtube, with varying degrees of accuracy.
    This type of blind testing is also quite popular on cigar forums. The results are often shocking and somewhat embarrassing to the so-called aficionado's.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    With so many of us having tried such a wide range of scents, it would have to be a bunch of scents we had never tried.

I tend to think some of the over the top BNers probably could. It is not meant as a knock on designer scents - I have and enjoy many - but there is something a little "safer" about many of them that I think would "read" to some of the hard core. Many, but not all, of the niche scents tend to be a bit less predictable and conventional.

But I don't many think people would score 100%.
    Well said, Stylin...as always! I agree.

I think they would be pretty close in quality, although the "classic" designers may be better most of the time -- but I think if someone is really pro they would be able to tell due to the fact that old frags have ingredients that are no longer used, and that modern niche stuff has fragrances that didn't exist in the past. Like if it's heavy on oakmoss you can bet that it's an old school frag, and if there's "oud" you know for sure that it's come out within the last 10 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    This type of blind testing is also quite popular on cigar forums. The results are often shocking and somewhat embarrassing to the so-called aficionado's.
    Happens with blind wine tasting too.
    The surprising power of marketing.... even causes "experts" to be betrayed by their senses.

Blog Entries

Probably, because your average classic designer is a dense woody chypre and you average current niche is a more simplified scent based on less notes. I think the difference between, say, Eau Sauvage and a CDG incense would be pretty obvious.

But if forced to compare using only current niche scents trying to smell like classic designers (like Cooper Square vs Moschino Uomo), it would be much more difficult.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

I'd be relying on intuition and 'feel' of the composition rather than the component notes themselves. 'Quality' of ingredients would come into play as well. Many would have tried the better known classic designers though. Imo it might be easier to identify vintage styles from more contemporary releases than it would be to differentiate 'niche' from 'designer' - a dichotomy which is rather vague to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    But if forced to compare using only current niche scents trying to smell like classic designers (like Cooper Square vs Moschino Uomo), it would be much more difficult.
    This was my understanding of what Aromi was suggesting. I'm thinking Bigarade Concentree, the recent Brioni etc. vs 'classic masculines' might be an interesting blind comparison. In other words - is there anybody still making 'em like they used to?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th May 2011 at 06:33 AM.

2 hours into the perfume and i can tell yu whether it's high end or ommercial.
    Its because niche perfumes tend to have better fixatives (basenotes).

for swap/sale:

I don't think it would be that easy.
    My cheapo Montana Parfum d'Homme can throw down with the best of them. There are many quality designer scents, and this sampling is supposed to be with good stuff at both sides.

In the end, if the blind sampling was made to be challenging, it would be extremely so.

Definitely not, first of, I am not that much of a conoisseur, but more importantly, both segments have their tops and flops, so hardly any surprise is excluded

I would say ..... no ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRhAdCXVtmY
    Ashkan gets 11 out of 14 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6yCaIIOnk
    Dan gets 9 out of 14 here. (10 if you want to consider based on price point - for Guerlain)

I think I could get at least 70% correct because I'm not bias between niche and designer. I like them for what they are not because of price , or others opinion.

Cmax...

The whole designer v. niche thing is so overblown. No one can agree on what the terms mean, exactly, and it is debatable how meaningful the labels are in practice anyway.

Quality is quality, dross is dross. Everything else falls somewhere in between, age or origin be damned.

This kind of experiment might be useful for opening the niche-obsessed up to a wider appreciation of perfume's illustrious, neglected history and for getting the classics-crazies to step away from their rotary phones and record players for a bit to realize that there are new outfits who are fighting the good old fight.

I think pretty much everyone else is cognizant of the fact that some of the old stuff is brilliant, and some of the new stuff is, too.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 29th May 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    The whole designer v. niche thing is so overblown.
    Definitely!!!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    The whole designer v. niche thing is so overblown. No one can agree on what the terms mean, exactly, and it is debatable how meaningful the labels are in practice anyway.

Quality is quality, dross is dross. Everything else falls somewhere in between, age or origin be damned.

This kind of experiment might be useful for opening the niche-obsessed up to a wider appreciation of perfume's illustrious, neglected history and for getting the classics-crazies to step away from their rotary phones and record players for a bit to realize that there are new outfits who are fighting the good old fight.

I think pretty much everyone else is cognizant of the fact that some of the old stuff is brilliant, and some of the new stuff is, too.
    Im also tiring of the attempted distinction. Mostly due to the fact that there is no clear definition of which is which, and which designers launching exclusive lines, and traditional niche houses increasing distribution channels they are blurring it even more.
    So the widely accepted distinction that is used, is the niche vs designer one, but due to the two points above this is proving more to be a grammatical distinction than anything else. Pure semantics.

But I can bet that ten years from now fragrance discussion fora will still be abuzz with niche vs designer debates.