Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Smile Wooznib's 3 Original Perfumes Testing Discussion Thread

This new thread is for posting our impressions and discussing the perfumes.
    Anyone who has tried them is welcome to post their impressions.

Wooznib mailed all the samples, domestic and foreign, today, May 28.

Post #2 shows the mailing order.

You may wish to subscribe to this thread using the Thread Tools drop-down menu in the gray bar above the posts on this page. Or bookmark it, so it's easy to find when you are ready to post.

I have messaged each of you with the address of the person you will ship to when you are done testing.
    Please jot that address down somewhere off Basenotes, in case this site happens to be down when you are ready to mail the samples.

The original sign-up thread is now obsolete. This thread takes its place, but here is the link to the old thread if anyone wants to read it :
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...-s-own-wooznib!)

Reiterating the essentials:

Our fellow Basenoter wooznib created 3 perfumes that are now being tested and reviewed by 40 volunteers:

• Souk
    Top: Allspice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Coriander
    Mid: Frankincense, Geranium, Ambrette seed, Jasmine, Honey
    Base: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Labdanum, Myrrh

• Sikar
    Top - Cognac, Naiouli, Coriander
    Mid: Rose Absolute, Allspice, Cacao Absolute
    Base: Spikenard, Cedar, Benzoin, Tobacco Absolute

• Cathedral in Flames
    Top: Ginger, Lemon, Spruce, Rosemary
    Mid: Carnation Absolute, Frankincense, Sage
    Base: Atlas cedar, Moroccan Neroli Absolute, Labdanum, Tonka Bean

A few simple rules:
    1. Test the perfumes for up to 2 weeks. The atomizers have enough juice for 6 sprays for each member. Please be considerate and do not keep them longer than 2 weeks-- others will be waiting to test them too!

2. Post your impressions.
    In all our previous sampling groups we have made reviews optional, but wooznib really needs and wants honest feedback.

3. Please either message me or post when you receive and when you mail the package, so I can keep Post #2 current.
    Kindly use delivery confirmation when shipping to the next US member. For international packages, just mail First Class but hang onto your customs form; the number on it is somewhat trackable.

4. Final member of each group keeps the atomizer samples. International members receiving their own sample set of glass vials will also keep their samples.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th May 2011 at 06:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wooznib's 3 Original Perfumes Testing Discussion Thread

Mailing order:

(The asterisk shows who has the samples, or to whom they have been mailed. This will be updated as people tell me they have shipped or received the samples.)

Edit 8/2/11: Everyone has now received the samples.

10 original groups:

Group 1:
    1. Twolf-- received samples
    2. PerfumedLady-- received samples
    *3. Volley2 (China)-- received samples

Group 2:
    1. Kiliwia-- received samples
    2. debbborra-- received the samples
    *3. joelarner (U.K.)-- received samples
    Group 3:
    1. iechris-- received samples
    2. SoGent-- received samples
    *3. Larimar (Austria)-- received samples

Group 4:
    1. matildaben-- received samples
    2. Warum-- received samples/ mailed them
    *3. FrouFrou (Texas address) received samples

Group 5:
    1. DustB -- delivery confirmation shows received/ no comment from member
    2. bookwyrmsmith-- received replacement set of samples direct from wooznib
    *3. kasae (Canada)-- received samples

Group 6:
    1. Smells_Familiar -- received samples
    2. dorje123-- was sent a replacement set of samples from wooznib/received them*
    *3. trex57 (Canada)- received samples

Group 7:
    1. cocogirl -- received samples
    2. Mr_Castro-- received samples
    *3. ironduke (South Korea)-- received samples

Group 8:
    1. Zibeline -- received samples
    2. Buzzlepuff-- received samples/mailed them
    *3. Klute (Germany)

Group 9:
    1. daccpa-- received samples
    2 chaplain -received samples
    *3. socalwoman (USA)-- received samples

Group 10:
    *darkdreams (USA but needs to receive late, in July)

Additional international members receiving their own sample sets to keep:

*1. anotherlemontree-- replied that she received them
    *2. bshell-- received samples
    *3. melodyjayne-- received samples
    *4. laph -- received samples
    *5. Pollux-- received samples
    *6. Dr. Rudi-- received samples
    *7. The Grifter-- replied that he received the samples
    *8. zliang-- received samples
    *9. don03-- replied that he received the samples
    *10. the_good_life-- received samples
    *11. fullbuster -- received samples
    *12. d4N13L-- received samples

Edit 8/2/11: Everyone has now received the samples.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 2nd August 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: updates

Apart from the group, I have all three as well - through a mutual friendship/partnership.
    ďI have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.Ē - Rimbaud

Blog Entries

Your reviews will be welcome here!

I've already sampled and made notes on all three. Here's the feedback I gave Wooznib (I'm not the best at deciphering notes, so I may have been a little off with my guesses):

Cathedral in Flames

First impressions: frankincense, ginger (and also I think tobacco, cedarwood, citrus, patchouli and labdanum? Iíd be interested to see a full notes list). Lovely top notes. Has quite a ďdeepĒ feel to it: feels quite complex and textured. Itís quite spicy, though I canít pin down which particular spices apart from ginger. The spices, together with the frankincense, give it a Middle-Eastern feel, in a way that reminds me of Arabie and Mecca Balsam. The sillageís presence is a bit subtle, possibly due to a high proportion of natural ingredients. There is a slightly leathery feel to it, though I donít think that leather is actually present as an accord. Thereís also a slightly soapy feel at times, though Iím not sure what to attribute this to in terms of notes.

I didnít perceive much in terms of structure; itís fairly linear, going on strong at first and then slowly fading away. I donít mean this as a criticism Ė I donít mind fragrances that behave like this Ė Iím just noting it as a description. Iím curious as to whether this linear structure is also due to a high proportion of natural ingredients.

Iím not sure itís full-bottle worthy for me personally, but I can definitely see people paying money for this. Overall, Iím really impressed Ė congratulations, Jimmy, good work!

Souk

First impressions: frankincense, cinnamon, amber, vanilla. Again, lovely top notes. Reminds me quite a bit of Ambre Sultan; it also seems to share some notes with Cathedral in Flames. Itís quite spicy, although apart from cinnamon Iím not sure which spices. Whereas the spices in Cathedral in Flames brought to mind a Middle-Eastern outdoor market (in a similar way to Arabie), the spices in Souk have quite a different feel Ė almost more domestic and culinary. Overall, itís quite a bit sweeter than Cathedral in Flames Ė I think the vanillaís responsible for this. It smells like thereís quite a bit of high-quality vanilla in there Ė it reminds me of some really nice vanilla extract Iíve got in my kitchen. It seems to have more sillage than Cathedral in Flames.

I rate this as being on a similar level to Cathedral in Flames. If pushed, I think I might say I slightly prefer Cathedral in Flames. Nevertheless, well done again.

Sikar

First impressions: sweet, fruity and spicy notes in the top notes; later on the fruit and spicy notes drop away and the scent gets sweeter (Iím pretty sure I smell chocolate, but apart from that Iím not able to definitely identify the notes, and would be very interested to know what the ingredients are). It does remind me slightly of Turkish Delight or Baklava, and obviously comes from the same sort of world as Souk and Cathedral in Flames in having the same kind of Middle-Eastern vibe to it. The top notes donít have the same kind of impact as those of Souk and Cathedral in Flames, both of which impressed me positively immediately, though I think it becomes more enjoyable as it progresses and gets sweeter. Iím not much of a gourmand fan, so this isnít the kind of thing I normally wear, but I liked it once it got through to the midnotes. It strikes me as more feminine than masculine, though not definitively so, if I had to characterize it in those terms (I would say Souk and Cathedral in Flames are both unisex).

Overall, I think this is probably my least favourite out of the three, partly because the top notes arenít as impressive, and partly because itís not really my kind of scent. Nevertheless, thereís definitely some quality stuff in there, so well done again.

It does not matter whether you are able to disect the notes or not so very well, your reviews are fabulous -- that's what we need most. Very often I read reviews here in the Directory and can't find the answer to the essential question "What does Fragrance Y smell like?" Personally, I appreciate comparisons and general impressions, like "domestic and culinary".

Thank you, WillC.

Not to hi-jack the thread: If you would like to go through the bootcamp of notes' perception, please let me know, we can arrange for that through your participation in one of the Blind Sniffs. Everybody else, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    It does not matter whether you are able to disect the notes or not so very well, your reviews are fabulous -- that's what we need most. Very often I read reviews here in the Directory and can't find the answer to the essential question "What does Fragrance Y smell like?" Personally, I appreciate comparisons and general impressions, like "domestic and culinary".

Thank you, WillC.

Not to hi-jack the thread: If you would like to go through the bootcamp of notes' perception, please let me know, we can arrange for that through your participation in one of the Blind Sniffs. Everybody else, too.
    Thanks for your kind words. I'll have a think about the Blind Sniff.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Blog Entries

Here is a link to the thread on DIY where some of us originally tested wooznib's samples; I later messaged him with our detailed impressions, but I will retest all 3 before posting:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/267...is-wonderful.?

Received my three samples in the mail today. I tried Souk first as I recently tried another fragrance of the same name in another sampling thread.

This Souk is quite dramatic. The Incense is bold as are the spices. I would agree that the vanilla and amber are pumping a lot of sweetness into this one but I find that appealing and the incense prevents the scent from being particularly kitchen-y to me. In fact I would venture to say that this incense is powerful enough (but not bitter or burnt) to actually need a bit of taming as the opening is so powerful to my nose. The spices smell natural and there is no overtly chemical vibe. The incense is listed as a middle note, but I seemed to get it right away and could only sense the cinnamon and allspice a few minutes later. I do not smell the coriander and am still waiting for the honey, but that's ok

Souk is a strong fragrance, definitely more masculine than feminine, but that would not stop me from wearing it! I can always be counted on to wear frankincense and myrrh type scents

Beautiful floral free oriental! If I did not see jasmine in the notes I would not be able to tease it out.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 31st May 2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: later impression added

Blog Entries

I've also begun editing post #2 to show who has received their samples.

Cathedral in Flames.

First off I am not wild about the name, a bit sensational IMO, and not really a good descriptor for this scent.

The opening is citrusy and green in an herbal sort of way that I like a lot. Ginger and lemon are nice summery notes and I have always found sage to be underutilized, at least in women's scents...but again this is a guy thing, though more obviously unisex than Souk. The incense here is milder and the scent stays green on me and a bit bright because of the cedar I guess. I don't get cathedrals and flames but maybe a country church with a patch of clove pinks and an herb garden near the rectory. ;-)

This one would be much more at home in an office that Souk would be and the sillage is more modest too. It wears close.

I received my package today. Looking at the other thread, I notice that wooznib got in a pretty bad car accident a few months ago and was in the process of recovering when he last posted in March. I hope that his recovery is going well and that there is no long-term damage.

Basenotes Plus

I received my package today and look forward to trying them tomorrow.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Here are my impressions/notes in order from least preferred to most preferred. I tested these without looking at the names (I marked each one with a colored dot to keep my notes straight) or looking at the notes listed above. Keep in mind that my nose is very untrained and my guesses at notes are often wide of the mark.

Sikar (tested on tissue only) - top notes: bitter/cocoa/harsh/searing. Rough edges. Do not like at all. Reminds me of a similar negative reaction at my first sniff of SL Borneo. The harshness mellows out somewhat on paper after 15 minutes, and there may be patchouli. I did not test this one on skin because it was very much not to my taste. Smelling the tissue over an hour later, the strong cocoa note persists. People who like Borneo should give this a try. This would very much be considered a masculine.

Cathedral in Flames - on tissue: top notes: green, fresh/refreshing, planty. Mint/eucalyptus? Pleasant. Smells more like a household product or a soap than a perfume at this stage. On skin: very bracing and herbal in the opening, like a body wash or deodorant, probably for men. It is pleasant, though. Very green. Could be unisex or masculine. After about 30 minutes some citrus perhaps. It gets more soapy as it goes along. Some base notes begin to appear after an hour or so but the original refreshing/soapy aspect persists. After I looked at the name I thought that it wasn't a good fit for the smell, instead I would call it something that would play up the "Irish Spring" kind of associations. This is pleasing and has a nice progression, but is not my thing at all.

Souk - on tissue: top notes: sweet, powder, incensey, Arabian. Cinnamon/clove? Maybe something herbal? In first 5 minutes my impression is that I would like to try some more. In the middle I possibly detect something herbal or green very slightly, and it is very clear that this has amber or resin. On skin: sweet and slightly medicinal in the opening. Still thinking amber or maybe patchouli. I don't think there's any florals in this; it would probably be considered unisex but is the most feminine of the group due to the sweetness, possibly vanilla. It settles well into the skin although it is mainly linear, and it has good projection. This is the one I would be most likely to wear, although it would not be my favorite of my amber/vanilla themed fragrances due to the powderiness, which is not to my taste. (N.B., looking at the notes, I see honey listed, and it's the first honey note I've smelled in anything that hasn't been sickening, so congratulations!)

Thanks for letting me try these, and I apologize if my comments were too brutal I really appreciate your effort!

Blog Entries

I do find that many perfumes develop differently on paper than on skin.

My husband favors Cathedral in Flames on himself (he wore it to work today and arrived home 12 hours later still smelling wonderful). The same fragrance on me becomes soapy.

I love Souk on him -- it makes me feel like cuddling up next to his chest and staying there. On myself I liked Sikar. I need to retest, however. After my residual cold stuffiness goes away and I can smell more.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 1st June 2011 at 03:55 AM.

Sikar.

On me this is the most masculine of the three. I didn't expect that when I read the notes because I thought the rose note would predominate. In the opening the cognac note took center stage for a boozy feel. The main middle note was the cacao on me although I could bet some hints of spice. Again not a lot of coriander. I only really noted that one in Cathedral. The basenotes of Sikar are quite nice the tobacco and benzoin resin are the main event though I do recognise the spikenard as I have some spikenard oil and could pick it out with effort. Altogether the least linear. I'd like to see (smell) a little more wood in the basenotes of this one. But I like the cognac, cacao and tobacco combination. It dries down very well.

I'm wondering if a rough opening, I got that in the air but not on my skin was the allspice?

My favorite is Souk...so far

The sample just arrived in Brussels this morning. I am going to review them soon (hopefully tonight when my nose become more sensitive). Thanks a lot for the samples... I am so excited ^^

Received package. Will post first review later

Picked up the package from the PO today. Had to destroy the careful packaging to release the vials -- all were securely taped over and over in a little plastic baggie.

Sniffed all three out of the vials, sprayed Cathedral in Flames. Will write more.

Cathedral In Flames - first impressions - 6-1-2011

I received the samples from Jim yesterday and have completed my first full day test drive. I randomly chose Cathedral In Flames for no particular reason and on first spritz I was very impressed. As I am a noob at fragrance, and here to basenotes, I hope that my impressions might be helpful but please try Jim's sample for yourself, I could be way off base. Also realize that this will probably be very unorthodox in it's format as far as typical basenotes reviews go. It is still very difficult for me to pick out single notes and even more difficult to put my feelings about this fragrance into words.

First let me put it as simply as possible. I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE. (Haven't sniffed the other two yet)

I did enlist the assistance of my wife this morning thinking that two noses would be better than one. When I sprayed she immediately said "peppery sassafras" but when told her I was getting cedar she said "yea that's it".

This fragrance to me is very relaxing and refreshing. My general impression is a lightly sweet (not cloying at all) , slightly powdery, slightly minty cedar tree <g>. I do get the frankincense or some kind of spice and possibly some leather more during the dry-down but I think this may just be the way Jim skillfully supported the cedar with tonka. I can easily see a man wearing this fragrance but I think it would really rock on the ladies. The wife is in complete disagreement and assures me that it's masculine because of the "woodiness" (her words, you can see we are both noobs). So how's that for unisex?

She and I both feel that it might need to be amped up a bit. Sillage was quite close and I personally don't think this one will be noticed except in close contact especially after the first two hours, however I was able to enjoy light occasional waves of pleasant odors for up to around the six hour mark.

I have Montale Full Incense and Cathedral feels to me like a much lighter, smoother and probably more inoffensive version of MFI (I think mainly because of the cedar notes). This is not a bad thing since MFI almost rips at your nostrils. I think Cathedral is smooth and marvelous and certainly FBW but I really want to smell it on my wife.

All this being said, I do want to wear this again. I would purchase this in it's current form if the price was right and simply reapply a bit more often. Good job Jim, I think you have a winner here.

I hope this has been helpful and I appreciate the opportunity. On to sample # 2 and my report on it in a day or two. Thanks
    Last edited by daccpa; 2nd June 2011 at 12:53 PM.
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Hi everyone! I received my samples safe and sound on 5/31. I did a little test spray of each on my arms and will do a full wear of Cathedral in Flames tomorrow.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

I apologize for not looking closely at the name <Grin> Cathedral on Fire ..Cathedral in Flames... Gaff #1

Have tried to correct my post, hope it worked,
    Last edited by daccpa; 2nd June 2011 at 12:54 PM.
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Wearing Cathedral in Flames again as one spray yesterday did not give me the entire picture. That said, the initial impression was that of a brand new Frapin offering and something that I do not hate and would like to know better. Echo Zib's words that the name does not quite reflect the hidden Far Breton (prune flan) nature. Put on robust three sprays today.

Editing: Now, 4 hours after I applied, it is still noticeable although there is no much projection. It is a scent for one's personal self. I compared it to flan and mentioned Frapin because there is a certain gourmand undercurrent going on but in a dark juicy way, just like in prunes. People who like SL Arabie would like this fragrance. The development is minimal but it exists here: from pungent green and salty herbs (Machia Mediterranea) --> to a smart middle accord of sweet cedar, neroli and soup spices --> to very comfortable and soothing embers. Aside from the French dessert, I do not get any Mid-Eastern or French feeling, it is more of Northern Maremma (Italy) impression, the moores that the ancient Etruscans populated.

Please change the name, I am uncomfortable feeling all snug and sexy while fully clad and wearing the scent of burning churches.
    Last edited by Twolf; 2nd June 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Souk

I sampled Souk for the 2nd time this morning and I would have to say it is my favorite of the 3. It opens very spicy, I get allspice and nutmeg. Today for the 1st time I get a hint of the coriander. I really like the opening and how it transitions and becomes slightly sweeter and the amber and vanilla come out. Neither time have I been able to pick out the geranium or the jasmine. I would certainly call this one "unisex" and I feel it is a high quality scent, one I would consider buying. The only question I have is the name, there are several companies that have a fragrance called Souk, Essentially Me is one of them. Something that would set this one apart from the rest, would be an asset. From a female prospective, I think something like "Souk at Dawn" or a name along those lines would make your fragrance more unique, but that's just my opinion. Congratulations Jim, you have created a wonderful fragrance, I think you have a winner on your hands!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 2nd June 2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Put on Souk, one pre-serious spray.

I have finished with my samples and sent them along to Warum. 30Roses, could you update the status of Group 4 in post #2 please?

Blog Entries

Done!

Basenotes Plus

Sikar

This one right from the start is not something I would wear. I get this strong medicinal smell that is slightly sweet. I've never smelled anything quite like it before. After looking at the notes in this, I would assume it's the naiouli, because it doesn't smell like cognac or coriander to me. Naiouli is described as a "fresh, warm, penetrating and slightly sweet, similar to eucalyptus oil. Also, has strong decongestant properties useful for head or chest colds." I can sure believe that. Once that smell quiets down, this fragrance does get better. I can pick up the allspice and cacao, but not the rose. Later it's still cacao and now cedar also, which is okay. Due to the opening, this fragrance would not be on my "buy" or "wish" list. Substitute the naiouli for something more appealing and I could change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Wearing Cathedral in Flames again as one spray yesterday did not give me the entire picture. That said, the initial impression was that of a brand new Frapin offering and something that I do not hate and would like to know better. Echo Zib's words that the name does not quite reflect the hidden Far Breton (prune flan) nature. Put on robust three sprays today.

Editing: Now, 4 hours after I applied, it is still noticeable although there is no much projection. It is a scent for one's personal self. I compared it to flan and mentioned Frapin because there is a certain gourmand undercurrent going on but in a dark juicy way, just like in prunes. People who like SL Arabie would like this fragrance. The development is minimal but it exists here: from pungent green and salty herbs (Machia Mediterranea) --> to a smart middle accord of sweet cedar, neroli and soup spices --> to very comfortable and soothing embers. Aside from the French dessert, I do not get any Mid-Eastern or French feeling, it is more of Northern Maremma (Italy) impression, the moores that the ancient Etruscans populated.

Please change the name, I am uncomfortable feeling all snug and sexy while fully clad and wearing the scent of burning churches.
    I agree with the name. I find it uncomfortable at best.

So far I've tried Souk and Cathedral in Flames, but want to give them a second wearing before writing much of a review. I will say I ABSOLUTELY love Souk and if it was commerically available it would be on my "want to buy" list. Also, it lasted at least 12 hours on me and I tend to have fragrance eating skin. I also liked Cathedral in Flames and could definitely see wearing it as well.

I'm taking the samples with me to my week at the dog show in KY.

Oh Souk....

The same carrier oils as in Cathedral in Flames make these two siblings. Or, rather, Version 1 and Version 2, whichever came first, for the assignment of making a Morocco-themed fragrance. Both fail aiming at Morocco, IMO, ancient Italy during sirocco season, may be. These two are like "Find 5 differences between these two pictures" -- the same scenario, the same ingredients only what was salty herbs in Cathedral becomes spices in Souk and what used to be neroli becomes vanillic tonka in the drydown of Souk. Souk seems to be a universal blueprint -- add bergamot/lime/mandarin on top of Souk and you are somewhat approaching Fendi Theorema territory, with white florals you are going Il Profvmo way, with salty herbs it will be Cathedral. Good material on hand, but needs more work.

While Cathedral appears to be a more thought-out version of Souk, the latter is more versatile and can be added components to. By itself Souk lacks substance. And again, both feel like they are just a starting step, two of many, for something bigger and better altogether.

Basenotes Plus

Cathedral in Flames

I've tried this one 3 times now and I like it, it's a close 2nd after Souk. The best part is the opening, I smell ginger and spruce with just a hint of citrus. It's very nice and fresh. Then it gets a little spicier, I can smell the rosemary. Still can't pick out the carnation that is suppose to be in here. I would say this one is like a lighter form of Arabie. There is a slight soapy feel to it after some time goes by, but I like it. I would buy this one, I like the fresh, clean and spicy vibe it has. About the name, I love that it's original but I also feel it's inappropriate. If this were on the market and I hadn't already tried it, I would write it off and never try it, just because of the name. Sorry.

Thank you for letting me try your 3 creations. You're very talented and I wish you the best of luck with them in the future!

Basenotes Plus

30 Roses, I have finished with the samples and sent them to Debbborra. Please update the status of Group #2 in post #2. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Will do!

No word from DustB on whether he has received his samples yet....

I sniffed Sikar. IMO, it is the most interesting of the three that we have received. At least it is on its own proud self, not a sibling to the others. I will wear it tomorrow to work -- my luck would have it, I am working with a fragrance-nazi tomorrow -- and let her roar all she wants about it. I find that naiouli note slightly poisonous and utterly refreshing, thanks for including it in this fragrance. I am also getting a sour milk accord (baby burp) just before chocolate kicks in, but I am not disturbed/averted by it at all (Le Feu d'Issey brilliantly utilizes baby burp).

What does the word "Sikar" mean?

How come we are not getting any reviews today?

Sikar - Impressions

I find Sikar even nicer than Cathedral in Flames. To me it is a bit harder to describe and I get sensations of notes that apparently do not exist. It is also more masculine in my opinion but only slightly tipping the scale.

The first notes hit you instantly with quite a bit of force and the smell of spice (similar to Christmas spices), sweet cedar, eucalyptus??, and some sour wet wood note. I was afraid that that sour note was going to make Sikar a turn-off for me but within less than a minute the sour note leveled off and blended perfectly into the others. It quickly gave me the feeling of rummaging through a fine, aged wooden antique chest or armoire. When I was a boy my parents owned several pieces of antique furniture that were then over 80 years old. One of those pieces was my own dresser. As a result my clothing articles would smell just like this when I wore them. I'm so glad I was able to sample Sikar as it succeeded in taking me back to my childhood.

The fragrance quickly drops in intensity from that initial blast and maintains a close sillage for several hours. I don't perceive any changes in the scent until close to final dry-down. Then about all that remains is very light cedar and cacao. Longevity was about 6 hours on my skin. My biggest regret is that the samples are so small and I have to pass them on to others. If I owned a larger bottle in it's current formulation I would most certainly over-spray if not take a bath in it.

I wish I were better able to pick individual notes since I'm sure that it is possibly the cognac that is giving me the sour wet wood vibe but I don't have any idea what Cognac smells like. I can't pick up on any rose at all unless it is contributing to the general sweetness, and I believe the single sweet cedar note I am getting is probably a blend of the cedar and the tobacco ( it is a sweetness similar to Tobacco Vanille).

I like Sikar very much though my personal life experiences may have clouded my judgment. I would also like it a smidgen stronger but would buy it just as it is.

It's kind of difficult for me to start reviewing. I also asked my 3 other friends (1 man, and 2 women) to sniff the samples along with me.

Ok, here we go....

Cathedral in Flame (CiF)
    First impression: fresh grated ginger
    FYI, I like cooking, so that ginger note suddenly come across my mind. It is warm, bitter, raw grated ginger, and I got a little bit balsamic feeling in the initial burst. Surprisingly from CiF is the drydown, which somehow reminds me of Dior Homme Sport that I like. Its the citrus note that adds the clean and fresh feeling. It has small projection and close to the skin. It will be better to wear this in the summer or daytime.

Souk
    First impression: coriander
    Although it started with spices notes, but Souk transformed into a dark sweet sexy and pleasant smell of amber. I can also detect thick honey, sandalwood and vanilla playing around in this heavy, almost Lutens-like frag. This is my favorite compare to the other 2 frags, and guess what? my other 3 friends echoed to that. This is the winner, for sure.

Sikar
    First impression: weird
    I don't drink alcohol, so I have no idea what cognac smell is. Probably that was the note I smelled in the first spray. It is weird, almost sour fruit-like note added with water. No feminine at all and I can see why my other friends (2 women) didn't fond of this one either. Yes, there is a hint of cocoa powder in the drydown that I thought this perfume would go into delicious gourmand territory, but surprisingly it developed into an almost woody compartment. Maybe it is just a matter of personal taste.

Thank you so much for this precious opportunity sniffing your creation. Good luck. ^^b

So sorry for the delay in posting. Have had computer problems and couldn't attempt to post on my phone. Please keep in mind I'm a total noob, but since total noobs buy fragrance, figured it would give that perspective...

All tested on skin. Keep in mind, very few fragrances last more than a couple of hours on me. So longevity on me probably isn't what you would expect on someone else.

Sikar - I definitely get cognac. Very boozy to start for sure. I tested this twice. The top notes were a bit difficult for me. The middle I got a hint of spice that I found interesting in a good way. Oddly, the first dry down and the second were a bit different for me. This first time I swear I smelled coconut. I don't know if any of the base notes would have that same smell but it was definite. Had a friend sniff me and she got the same thing without my telling her my impression. The second dry down I got a hint of coconut but also salty. Reminded me very much of being on the beach. There was also something faintly vanillic to me the second time. Lasted a couple of hours but was close to the skin. 'Course it's been record breaking heat here and I tried this on a day I was sweating profusely both times. It was 103.9 out with 117 heat index. This may have lasted longer had I tried it in more hospitable conditions.

While not a full bottle buy for me because it's not really my type. I would probably buy a decant. Would really like to sample more to see if it changes even further as the two times were different. I found the beach feel pleasant and would like to see where else it leads.

By the way, this was my least favorite of the three and I do like it. The opening boozy notes were the challenging part to me. But the second test they faded faster. I suggest giving it more than one test.

Souk - Impressions

Souk starts, to me, as a smokey, black-light, beads and bongs head-shop incense stick. I swear there is an incense stick that smell just like Souk. I am totally lost trying to pick out the notes on this. That is the only way I can describe it, and that is exactly what I get for the first thirty minutes. Being an ex-hippie it makes me want to put on my Ravi Shankar LP. I love it.

It soon transforms to some thick, sticky-sweet, honeyed/spicy blend that just builds and builds in intensity and to me is to impossible to describe, It is like trying to describe the Grand Canyon or a beautiful sunset., Definitely more masculine than feminine to me. Longevity and projection is much better than the other two exceeding seven to eight hours at which time I can still put my nose to my skin and get a base of vanilla.

I regret that I am unable to give a more detailed description of Souk because it is my favorite of the three. I can only say, as I would about the sunset I mentioned, I admire the skill of the creator.

If I were to rate each in order it would be Souk, followed by Sikar and then Cathedral in Flames bringing up the rear.

Thanks for allowing me to participate and please mark my package as being mailed to Chaplain.

Blog Entries

Okay, done.

Have also inquired of DustB if he ever got his samples.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th June 2011 at 08:47 PM.

Cathedral in Flames - Because of the name, I think I was expecting spicy right off. Sniffing the fragrance in bottle I thought "herbal". After spraying I immediately get ginger and lemon. Very refreshing and light. Great for the heat we're having. I next get frankinsence which I love and burn the resin quite often. Then comes a floral spice - I'm guessing carnation as I've not known I've smelled it in fragrance, but have smelled and very much like the flowers. Can still pick out some of the ginger as well. Now it's spicy as it's name may have suggested to me. Still with a sweetness coming through. Like this very much.

Drydown eases through with tonka bean being one my noob nose catches first. After an hour or two it's very woody on me. Looking at the list of notes, most definitely cedar is the remaining note. Doesn't last much longer than that on me, but not much does.

This gives me an exotic sort of feel. I would purchase a bottle of this if I picked it up. Don't know if the name would have prevented me from trying it though. Has connotations some may struggle with. I kinda dig the one word, exotic sounds of Souk and Sikar. Wonder if another one word "S" name would be a consideration?

Sorry if that was presumptuous or inappropriate - I'm sure much thought went into naming them. Just throwing it out there.

My second favorite.
    Last edited by cocogirl; 5th June 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Souk First spray wth all those spices very apparent. The coriander threw me as I didn't know it, but knowing the other spices was able to pick it out by eliminating the others. Very quickly get the geranium. This is a scent I'm very familiar with as I've grown scented geraniums and I find it a comforting scent. Also gives it a greenish vibe which keeps it from being too heavy. Sweetness of honey. The other middle notes I've not been able to distinctly identify.

The drydown I get sandalwood - which I absolutely adore. My all time favorite. And vanilla. Give me vanilla and sandalwood together and I'm a happy girl. Souk does that but I still get a spice or two together with it. Actually the spice runs throughout from beginning to end on me - which I enjoy.

Has a very middle-eastern marketplace feel to it, which I did not know until I looked it up that that is what Souk means.

But it also reminds me of my 1970's childhood. daccpa said incense and head shop and that is exactly it to me as well.

Really like this one. My favorite and I would purchase a bottle. This one lasts much longer than a couple of hours on me and that is unusual.

Will be mailing tomorrow.

Thank you so much, Wooznib for allowing us this opportunity. Enjoyed it immensely. Wish you the absolute best of luck.

Even my fragrance-intolerant co-worker was not averted yesterday by my wearing of Sikar. I did some research from the earlier BN threads, and despite wooznib's original intent (I noticed he is not posting his comments on this thread yet, so I will keep silence too since his other threads are still searchable), Sikar is the most-Mid-Eastern out of the three on this skin. Dark, cozy gourmand without lolli-pops or silly burnt sugar accord. The cognac note is quite pronounced and remember only the best of the wines will ever have a chance to become cognac material provided there are enough barrels, plenty of sweetness and right weather conditions. Personally, I woul like just a few more florals (aforementioned Rose Absolute) to be on the background, but once again, out of the three Sikar is the one that I would be wearing quite often as it blooms on my skin. I politely disagree with the previous posters that it is the most masculine of the bunch. I also can't thank wooznib -- an American parfumeur -- enough for having created a fragrance with Oriental brains and European soul.

My samples arrived today here in Vancouver, Canada. I will give a report soon. But here is one little thing. I put a drop of "Cathedral" on the back of one hand and a drop of Souk on the other. Went out to work. As the day went on, I notice that Cathedral has dried down to tuberose. I have not seen anyone else mention this. Is tuberose in it? Or am I imagining things. For Souk, I get a huge powerful sandalwood monster. If you like sandalwood, then Souk is for you. More to come when I have time to test these rigourously.

I have received the package, which, by the way, smells gorgeous. It smells I think of the Souk. Quick impressions, better thoughts to come:
    The Souk is very pretty. (Well, pretty is such a feminine word and this feels unisex to me, but you get the point. I love the opening, which I found a little dark, mysterious and sexy.
    After a while (I'm going to say an hour but I really didn't time it, it get spicy. The connotation in my head for spicy is dark mysterious and sexy, but that's not what I mean. What happened is that I can smell spices. Once this happens it reminds me a great deal of Micallef Black Sea.

The Sikar got a shorter wearing. I'm not a huge fan. There is a very sour, sharp thing that you can smell in the bottle on paper and for a while after you put it on. Far longer than I hoped. It's a little like vitamins. However, just before I went to sleep I smelled it again and my impression was that it was pretty. I'll come back with better, more organized thoughts.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

I received the package yesterday from dacppa. I sniffed everything once. I like them. But right off the bat these are NOT summer fragrances. So I will wait until our excessive heat warnings pass in a couple of days to give them a decent wearing. (We also have a busted A/C unit right now...UGH!) I want to give these fragrances a fair shake in better weather. Even with waiting a couple days I should be able to get these samples out to the final sniffer by early next week.

Way to go Twolf! =)

Today I will send them out, I was out of envelopes, but thanks volley2.

First impressions, from paper strips. I'm being frank here: I don't like them. At all. The essential oil quality, for one, seems low and it is hard to believe these are fully natural. May I ask where the oils are sourced from?

1. Souk: Cinnamon-vanilla combo dominates what else there is and gives this a cheap-oriental yankee candle effect. The honey note does not help. The spice notes kick in and alleviate matters, but the low-budget feel remains. Still, the best of the lot. I'd seriously recommend a side-by-side with Essentially Me's Souk. Alec Lawless is no Chris Sheldrake, but he sources really good oils and put together a very very nice herbal oriental here.

2. Cathedral in Flames: : funny minty toothpaste vibe, evolves into spruce foam bath (the spruce is excessively dominant). It settles on a very unpleasant cheap bathroom/aftershave vibe. Irish spring is right, functional perfumery.

3. Sikar: Fruity-bready opening, then a strong cocoa note comes though. Minty notes as well. And old cupboard storing stale cocoa, mint tea and and decaying fruit. Settles on a gummibear note. Very unpleasant.

I will try these on skin, but my impression from strips is, obviously, thoroughly unfavorable. I am not basically a malicious person, but I honestly don't see any redeeming features in these scents. Inferior ingredients are the main problem, but this is multiplied by unbalanced compositions, misguided combinations, lack of structure. My summary would be: keep on trying, read more Mandy Aftel and hold on to that day job for now. Sorry.

Edit: wooznib's thankfully taken this withering commentary in stride and has kindly corrected me about the ingredients, which are not fully natural, but at the classic Guerlain ratio of 80:20. Which means I must revise my observation on material quality. It may not be low quality naturals then that cause me olfactory discomfort, but an unhappy (IMHO) combination with synths, that diminishes rather than enhances the effect of potentially high quality oils (the sources being reputable as far as I can tell)
    Last edited by the_good_life; 9th June 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: addition
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matiŤre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pťnŤtrent le verre.

I retried the Sikar and got more sweet. It felt like a stone fruit to me. And if you like peach or apricot notes, I think it's going to fair better with you.

I love the Cathedral in Flames. I'm sad I have to send it on, as I'd like to keep trying it. I've only been testing at home, but maybe I will wear this one to work tomorrow. It's rich with a dark smoky edge. I still haven't had a chance to completely enjoy the drydown though. Also, I find there is a difference between wearing and testing.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Also, I find there is a difference between wearing and testing.
    That is an interesting observation, debbborra-- I find the same thing, with many fragrances. A dab produces a different impression than a wearing. (For example, I liked Un Jardin Sur le Toit on my arm, but when I did a full wearing, it was "Get Thee Behind Me, Satan! LOL)

And although I often test on paper blotters in stores to get a general sense of a perfume, I don't feel like I really know what a scent will be like until it's on my skin.

Blog Entries

I have received the package and am sampling it. Will post longer reviews later, but so far -- like them all, Souk is an early winner, Sikkar makes me rethink my dislike for chocolate perfumes, and Cathedral in Flames is a work of art that is telling me a story I'd like to hear more of.

Thanks, Wooznib, 30 Roses and Matildaben!

Package just arrived-yay,I get to test with Warum!I've sprayed all three on paper and here's what I can tell(not much,I only like paper testing for getting an idea of what notes my skin blows out/eats up)so far:
    I think Sikar will be a big no for me,
    Souk is my favorite(again,on paper-all of this could change once these hit skin)
    Cathedral in Flames needs to be renamed.The city I live in is nicknamed "the city of churches";many of them are Catholic cathedrals.I would assume,from regularly walking past all these cathedrals,that anyone who hears the name "Cathedral in Flames" is going to be expecting spicy incense.That's not this scent-CIF feels more forest-y to me,probably the rosemary and labdanum.Wooznib,you must be so sick of hearing this!

Will get started over the weekend and post back when I have some real reviews.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th June 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: sp.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Yesterday I wore Cathedral in Flames to work. I enjoyed it. It doesn't do wide varied gyrations of phases, but there is some difference between beginning and end. There is a brief citrus burst at the start, but this is an incense lovers scent. The end is woody in a way that reminds me of boxes, which I like. It is incense in the dry modern sense. Overall, this is most assuredly a product of this millennium, or one out of history. It's not too sweet . In fact it isn't very sweet. The name is sort of literal and fitting. It does smell, in a good way, of something that's burning.

At work, I told my friend I was testing a perfume made my someone the perfume forums I participate in. She smelled it and was blown away. Though I did have to put my arm in her face. As mentioned above there isn't a lot of projection.
    I'm heading for the post office in a little bit.

The samples have been posted.

Time for my reviews, I'm terrible about picking out notes generally, so please don't expect much from my reviews. I noticed the small discussion upthread about "testing" vs "wearing". Since I'm looking for perfumes to wear, I always test by simply wearing the scent for the day. I wore each of these fragrances to work for a day, work Souk on a six hour car ride and wore Cathedral in Flames and Sikar to an outdoor dog show in 95F heat.

Souk
    This was my favorite and started out for me on a strong cinnamon note that reminded me of Dentyne gum. This faded fairly quickly and was replaced by a pretty powerful sweet spicy mix. I love spicy and I like strong fragrances, so this was a winner for me. After several hours it dried down to a sweet, slightly spicy creamy scent that lasted 12 hours on my fragrance eating skin. As I said in my short note, if this one was commerically available, it would be on my to purchase list for sure. I had no issues with finding it overpowering on either my long car ride or in our heat wave.

Cathedral in Flames
    For some reason, I just can't seem to find much to say about this fragrance. It does remind me of Souk, but just less. This one did not last particularly well on me, which may be one reason I can't find much to say about it. Not bad by any means, just on me the weaker, less interesting little sister of Souk. I don't hate the name like some do, but do agree that it doesn't really match the fragrance.

Sikar
    This one opens with a sharp almost chemical cognac blast. Sprayed it on on the way int to work today and was almost worried I'd smell to much like alcohol, but it fades very fast. The transitioned into a phase that reminded me of Angel, it must be to cocoa. From there, it goes into the faintest fragrance that while it isn't bad, I can't really describe. I'm guessing this is the masculine, but to me it seems very unisex.

Thank you so much to Wooznib for allowing us to sample these. I think they are all good but for me Souk is the clear winner! I'm going to mail the samples out to sogent on Monday.

In the spirit of being perfectly frank in this thread,I must admit these scents are not my usual style.These fall very firmly into a category that my mind calls(correctly or not)"dark and hippie-ish".I have no particular problem with that style,it just isn't me.However,I'm impressed so far and though I haven't yet worn Souk,I'm constantly sniffing the strip I sprayed it on.Highly addictive-I'm pretty sure I'll love it!

Sikar-Wooznib,I hope you'll take my comments on this as compliments as I do intend them that way.I simply could never wear this;there's no cute little baby burp here for me,it's curdled milk.I do like the powdery chocolate drydown and I find the rather medicinal topnotes interesting.The spoiled milk phase is just too prominent and long lasting for me to enjoy it.I have no doubt that what's rotten on me could be just the bit of interest the scent needs on someone else,though.I think this is a risky fragrance,one that could be love it or hate it for many people and for that,you have my respect.

I'm wearing Cathedral in Flames today and I like this better.Beautiful use of tonka in the drydown,which is where I am at the moment.It's neither too foody vanillic nor too pipe tobacco smoky;it's a very nice balance.I didn't get any carnation on my skin to speak of,loved the sage-frankincense heart I did get.I also really enjoy the spruce note here;once the "Irish Spring" briskness settles down,the spruce remains subtly.It feels the most masculine of the bunch to me but I see we're all over the place with our thoughts on gender designation for these scents;it does simply come down to each individual's perceptions and associations.I feel they are all three ultimately unisex.

On to Souk tomorrow and looking forward to it!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Here goes...

Souk. My least favorite of the bunch. Overall I find it heavy and muddled. I wanted something to lift it a bit. I get a lot of spice: clove, coriander, cinnamon are most prominent to me. The spice mix reminds me of a spiced chocolate lava cake I once made. I also get some campfire smoke. Actually the smell is reminiscent of how my clothing smells after I have been at a campfire all night. The smoke is most apparent in the first 20 minutes or so. And this may sound strange, but I also get a charred marshmallow note??! More char than marshmallow, as I don't find this fragrance overly sweet. But there is a hint of sweetness in this. As it progresses, I get a pine tree sap and a hint of incense. I'm not good with note identification, but I do get lots of patchouli in the middle notes. As i noted above, I wish this had more lift to it. Something to give the impression of crisp mountain night air would give my night around the campfire a complete picture. The dry down feels generic to me. Sweet now, with patchouli and spice. Nice, but nothing special. In the middle, I almost had to wash it off as it felt heavy and a bit nauseating. Maybe I would feel differently if I tried this in mid-winter?

Cathedral in Flames> Starts of soapy and green on me with smoke in the background. Then quickly gets herbal. Is that hemp I smell?? Also a touch of incense. This one was fleeting and went from top to dry down in about 3 hours on me. In the middle I got spruce and sour grass (those little clover like tufts with tiny yellow blossoms in the lawn. I used to eat them as a child. They are sour and grassy. That's the note I get here.) I quite liked this fragrance, but felt like it was more of a home ambiance fragrance than a perfume. I would buy this in a candle, but I don't want to smell like it.

I'll get back with Sikar. I want to test it one more time. But thus far, I think it is my favorite of the three.

I've just received the samples, thank you. I plan to try them tonight.

Samples received yesterday, thank you Wooznib for all the trouble/expensive you have taken to get opinions x

Preferences at first sniff prior to testing are;
    Cathedral in Flames
    Souk
    Sikar

Looking forward to tomorrows note taking