Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default House With the Best Bottles

I know there has been discussion here about your favourite bottle but I was curious to see which house (it doesn't have to be a house with uniformed bottles e.g. Creed) you all think has the best bottles.

For me I would have to say Bond No 9 have the best bottles (and the boxes are damn nice too). I got my first bottle today (Little Italy) and I have Wall Street and Silver Factory on the way, I was surprised by how eye catching they are. I also like how they feel quite sturdy, my Little Italy really does stand out on my shelf.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: House With the Best Bottles

Bond No.9's are really nice. I like the classic green Polo bottles also(not a house). I don't know about the juice yet, but the classic look of Santa Maria Novella bottles is nice.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 27th January 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Not a house, per se, but IMO Tom Ford does good bottle.

When he was with YSL, Estee Lauder and Gucci, those scents have great bottles. Now that he has his own line, I think he still has great bottles.

Vintage bottles are way superior to ones these days IMO

I like Le Labo, Tom Ford, Jo Malone, and Montale.

My favorite bottle of all time is the 3.3 oz Helmut Lang - Cuiron bottle
    Simple and classic.

I love the 4.2 oz. Caron bottles and the new Hermes ones. Simple designs, practical.

Nassamato, I love their chunky wood caps, I also think the Serge Lutens "bell" jars are very elegant
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I love Montale's style.

But i have to go with Bond.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I like the previous incarnation of amouage bottles (dagger ones).
    Also the elegant simplicity of C&S.
    I have only smelled one of the frags but the Bois 1920 bottles look so appealing to me that I immagine I will be disappointed with the frags . I do like the one I tried (Sandalo & The) quite a lot.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

the Odori bottles blow away almost any other bottle i've ever used.

yes, they are heavy....yes they're a bit awkward. but the cap is handmade out of leather, and the chunky wooden frame surrounding the hand etched name on the classic glass bottle is simply out of this world....totally and completely unique! gorgeous. The attention to detail is as if they were building a piece of artwork with every bottle...

here's what my bottle of Cuoio looks like:

Last edited by everso; 27th January 2009 at 09:47 PM.

My favourite bottle designs:

Christian Lacroix: Tumulte
    Alain Delon: Iquitos (I still can't get over someone describing it as being "cheesy"..!)
    Bjorn Borg: Off Court
    Dior: Fahrenheit (original, not the new one)

so no particular house for my taste. Calvin Klein used to be my favourite brand, yet their bottle designs are really all pretty bland IMHO.

My favs are:

Kilian ( design on these is just too cool)
    Amouage (old bottles)
    Tom Ford Private Blend (250ml bottles)

I like the simplicity and practicality of the Le Labo bottles. I have a minimal aesthetic and prefer practical, easy to use, honest bottles. I am not crazy about all the use by dates etc. they put on the label, but nice bottle.

My least favorite bottles as far as the design goes are the MPG kool-aid red plastic jewel top bottles. Sort of embarrassing bottles - great perfume . . . but OMG the bottles!

some but not all of course

Original Bijan
    Dunhill 1934 and Edition
    Knize Ten
    Chanel Sycomore (exclusif's line)
    L'Anarchiste gas can (and the simplicity of the 4.2 oz mens frag's.)
    The Frederic Malle line
    Le Labo
    H. Lang Curion
    Bond 9
    Last edited by richard d; 27th January 2009 at 11:29 PM.

The OG Maitre Argyle red glass/gold cap bottles keep it thorough.

I will say it! Creed. I think their bottles are classy

The Lolita Lempicka for women bottle is just so unique- so Tim Burton. Surely the fanciest bottle ever and still my favorite!

I like Hermes' bottles, at least for Terre d'Hermes and d'Orange Verte's.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Really like the heavy glass with the classic shape Penhaligon's puts out. The current stopper- inspired atomizer caps complete the sleek look and the bows and box presentation make for nice icing.

I also like the chunky, heavy flasks of Thierry Mugler uses for the *MEN products. The protruding "star in motion" is a great icon too.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

The M.Micallef line has quite striking bottles, as does the Solange line.

I also appreciate a minimalist aesthetic, and accordingly I love the imposing yet simple look of Profumum bottles and the simplicity, consistency, and class of Santa Maria Novella bottles.

When talking about a house's design approach, you have to mention Chanel, who has maintained a consistent design since their inception. The Exclusifs line is a carry-over a design that's been used for 50+ years, and parfums are in the same flacon used for the last 70-80+ years. It's interesting that Hermes is now unifying the bottles design of almost all their fragrances into the same 'tapered rectangle' design (except a few), much as Chanel has always done. Likewise, Dior has kept the 'oval cylinder' for many of it's fragrances, male and female, since the 50s (i.e. Diorella, Jules, Eau Sauvage).

C'mon guys and gals, what about Lalique? Encre Noir alone!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th January 2009 at 02:03 AM.

Love the Creed bottles .. a standard design with slight revisions with every release. And the bottles are as solid as a meteor rock (they share the high quality sand field with Chanel).

-

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    LoL...you know what, the bottle looks a lot like the Hindu god Shivas' Lingam idol

Last edited by zztopp; 28th January 2009 at 04:04 AM.
    -

I have to go with Bond 9 because the colors they put on all their bottles are just outstanding.

I was going to say Hermès until bbBD reminded me of Profumum. I really do like everything about the look of their bottles.

I also like the look of L'Artisan's line and special editions.
    Last edited by tang; 28th January 2009 at 05:19 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I like Chanel, Bois 1920 and Jalaine for overall house style.

Individual bottles, I really like the look and feel of Dior Homme, and I love the old style Feminite du Bois bottle.

Many niche bottles are really chintzy...Les Nereides comes to mind.

There have been countless eye catchers among perfume bottles I want to put my hands on, but I still choose fragrances for their smell, not the bottle.

I like it when a house sells everything in the same kind of bottle, like Chanel, Lutens, or Villoresi. It's practical too when you have a larger collection of fragrances from the same house. To me the Editions F. Malle line is the ultimate understatement representing a new European simplicity of style.

Fancier bottles are fine for traditional houses like Caron and Guerlain. Guerlains flat, round bottles with the cone shape glass stopper I've always considered their best (from the fifties, I believe).

Creed: fake style for a fake house - the perfect match! What a disparity, as some of their perfumes are good, a few even excellent! Together with Fracas for Men (Piguet), Habanita (Molinard), and all Tauer bottles they would be my candidates for the ugly duck prize, the latter ones in the subcategory cheap.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th January 2009 at 08:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm a big fan of L'Artisan bottles. Simple elegance in either size. Plus their limited edition bottles are super cool too.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Minimalistic, straight lines do it for me. I really appreciate houses whose bottles are more or less uniform, too. Diptyque, Profvmvm, TDC, ByRedo, Parfumerie Generale, Nasomatto and L'Artisan come to mind.
    File Serge Lutens under "ugly duckling", especially those blah export line 50 ml bottles.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 28th January 2009 at 09:50 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think in addition to Encre Noire, Lalique Lion bottle is beautiful too

Lutens bell jar
    Last edited by ultranova3; 28th January 2009 at 10:41 AM.

I like SL's export bottles and bell jars. Also, worthy of note are the M. Micallef bottles, which are works of art in themselves. I am not a fan of Lubin's bottles, but I think Idole is one of the most unique bottles I've seen.

I like it when houses go the "minimal route" like Profumum or Parfumerie Generale. Less is more! When they try for something "luxurious," like Creed, I find it to be abysmally tacky. Chanel, on the other hand, in my opinion, is luxurious, minimally sexy, and not tacky at all.

Have you noticed that the same company that makes the bottles for Parfumerie Generale also make bottles for other companies? Look at the Lubin Eau Neuve and Vetiver bottles.... same bottles as PG (but in 75ml size).

I'm totally agree with Moltening...less is more...I think Parfumerie General's and Serge Lutens's bottles, the jars but not only those ones, are simple but beautiful...don't like the Bond 's ones....and don't like most of the fragrances inside.....
    Last edited by Emifra; 28th January 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Have you noticed that the same company that makes the bottles for Parfumerie Generale also make bottles for other companies? Look at the Lubin Eau Neuve and Vetiver bottles.... same bottles as PG (but in 75ml size).
    My PG Aomassai bottle is the exactly the same as the EDT bottles from Bath & Body Works -- this lack of originality is why Parfumerie Generale does not score any points from me for best bottles.
    Last edited by tang; 28th January 2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Castello di Ama

WHOOPS, wrong thread.

I like simple bottles and enjoy the glass blocks that are Gucci and some of their others
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The M.Micallef line has quite striking bottles
    Couldn't agree more, every single bottle, regardless of which line it is in, is beautiful and fully worth owning solely on the merit of the bottle.

Last edited by mtgprox05; 28th January 2009 at 02:35 PM.

My fav's:

TDC

I really love Le Labo's caps...so sturdy!

Donna Karan has some great bottles.

My least favourites would be Bond *ducks*...sorry, I find them really gawdy, and difficult to hold. Creed's bottles I'm indifferent to, but they have a great spray mechanism! The old crystal Guerlain bottles are of course beautiful, as is their "bee line".

Kenzo always does great, unique, and eye-catching bottles. Kenzo Power in particular is amazing.

I agree with many listed so far; the classic Creed, old Amouage, Montale, M. Micallef...all nice.

I'd like to add Bois 1920. Very simple, substantial and classy. Love the aged, frosted glass look. The solid cap. Nicely done!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Blog Entries

Smile Re: House With the Best Bottles

The Ambre Gris bottle by Balmain is quite nice. Classic simplicity with a golden cap.

I like the Terre D`Hermes bottle..Modern, simpel, and elegant with a uniqe screw cap. And L`Instant also.. Espesially the EDP with the brown framing around the bottle! Almost like a sculpture!

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I think in addition to Encre Noire, Lalique Lion bottle is beautiful too

[IG]tp://www.scentsations.co.uk/images/product_images/big/lion.jpg[/IMG]
    High five on that one gupts!

I think the Lion, Faune and Equus trio is one of best concepts around. Pristine looking bottles and lining them up is just too beautiful! How can you own one and not crave for the other two, I wonder.

I admire L'Artisian's bottles as well. To me they are ideal for any perfume! I've never seen one of the harvest bottles for real, but I imagine they look wonderful.

My third vote is a split between Etat Libre d'Orange and any house who incorporates leather details onto their bottles. Now how does this make me sound?

"- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I don't say that they are the BEST bottles, but in my strictly personal opinion, I'm very fond of the bottles by Creed, Penhaligon, AdP, Armani and Chanel.

I like the Hermessence and Creed packaging. The original dior fahrenheit was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I like the Hermessence and Creed packaging. The original dior fahrenheit was impressive.
    Yes! I totally agree with you, jathanas re: Hermessence. Those leather caps are gorgeous as are the colour hues.

These scream HERMÉS:

Last edited by Noalick; 28th January 2009 at 10:52 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Guerlain is notable by its absense! Best bottles ever!

Second that. The Malle and Villoresi bottles are my 2nd favorite(s) - classy look and high quality glass/spraying mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I will say it! Creed. I think their bottles are classy
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 29th January 2009 at 04:32 AM.

Serge Lutens (both)
    Chanel (the classic No 5 bottle)
    Guerlain (L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko "gendarme" bottle)
    Helmut Lang

I like simple, streamlined bottles most.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I love lines with uniform bottles given slight variations. Especially fond of Creed, CdG(main line) and L'Artisan bottles. Montale I'd love if the sprayer didn't have that weird closing system instead of an actual cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ultranova3 View Post
    Lutens bell jar

This is perfect to look at !
    (not to use)

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Creed. I think their bottles are classy
    A Disneyland style matching a Disneyland perfume house perfectly! My golden Imperial Millimeh bottle would have a better place on the bathroom shelf of some Wall Street Banker. I might want to trade it for ToughCools wine bottle any day.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th January 2009 at 08:49 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Guerlain is notable by its absense! Best bottles ever!
    I mentioned them before: during the sixties Guerlain had round bottles with glass stoppers for their whole line, an absolutely unique and yet simple design. I guess the popularity of spraying systems put an end to those (Lalique?) bottles

click:

Last edited by narcus; 29th January 2009 at 08:47 AM.

The By Kilian line has the most beautifull bottle,packaging design I´ve experienced till now.
    Especially that Achilles shield print on the side of the bottle,I think is very cool. I only wish the bottle came in 100ml size.

I empty a lot of bottles and they are not so nice looking after the juice is gone.

The only ones I like are the graphical bottles from Bond ie Bleecker Street and Nuits de Noho.

Found in Morticia Adams' boudoir, Perles de Lalique.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th January 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Thumbs up Re: House With the Best Bottles

I think design and quality and concept behind The Different Company bottles are outstanding (the 10ml travel with refills, the 90ml refillable standard bottle, the 200ml "resere"). Wonderful Art Deco lines, more solid than most others I've held, easy to hold and use - and no trashy plastic caps like the Creeds (an aesthetic nono at niche prices IMO). The vintage Amouages win in the "tasteful opulence" category. There's many more beauties: Villoresi's cobalt blue octagons, Guerlain bee bottles, Malle, Asprey. Among the designers I like Brit & London and L'Eau Bleue d'Issey.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thumbs up Re: House With the Best Bottles

The minimalist ones, Goutal, Diptyque, Caron, etc
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Lalique
    Micallef
    Clive Christian
    Ajne
    Arabian Oud
    Last edited by Sloan; 29th January 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

A Disneyland style matching a Disneyland perfume house perfectly! My golden Imperial Millimeh bottle would have a better place on the bathroom shelf of some Wall Street Banker. I might want to trade it for ToughCools wine bottle any day.
    This is the second time you are slamming Creed bottles in this thread. You might like Lutens bloated bell jars more, but I wonder whats the source of all this negativity. I know the economy is in tatters, and hitting Europe hard as well but a trip to EuroDisney shouldn't be out of the budget ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    To me the Editions F. Malle line is the ultimate understatement representing a new European simplicity of style.
    The more I think about it, the more I must agree.