Code of Conduct

Default Recent Blinds Reviews/Impressions...Fumerie Turque Update....Why the Hypnose Hate....New Order

Kind of in the mood to ramble about fragrances today so I'll begin with some recent purchases and my impressions (mostly based on 2 or 3 wearings at this point)...I apologize for the length, skim around, read whatcha want.

Blind Buys Impressions

Live Jazz: Much more interesting than I expected...fantastic really. Fresh and Vibrant from the opening, zesty mint with an awesome cilantro in the mid. What a good deal!

ROADSTER: Uggghh! Bottled frustration....This had the potential to be one of my favorite frags ever but it heads off in a funky direction that I can not support. I LOVE how the mint is done in the opening, it's cool and clear and refreshing like mint chocolate chip ice cream, and almost gourmandish in its mintiness, but as it heads toward the heart and base about an hour in, Roadster takes on this thick,heavy, slightly dirty vanillic woods accord that ruins the previous stage. It's kinda gross. I'm hoping this develops differently in cold weather. Cool bottle and cap. (And actually not a blind buy, I sampled this a couple months ago...I had to have those top notes!).

Yves Saint Laurent's L'Homme L'Eau D'Ete: I'll never love this, but it's a nice addition to the summer wardrobe and has a really nice sillage once it settles down. Different from my other summer scents...the 3.3oz bottle looks gigantic though, and appeared much cooler and elegant looking in pictures than in real life.

DUNE: Strange and compelling and at the same time very light, dry and airy. Dior's stuff always seems very unique to me and I think Dune fits right in with the rest of em exactly because it doesn't fit in with any of them. What is that, fig? Hedione? I have no idea, but it's a note I have no previous experience with. I like this one a lot.

Black XS: Strawchouli! Opens up a little feminine but becomes more masculine as it dries down...I'll really enjoy this one on the days I feel like wearing it, which won't be too often, but often enough that I'm glad I have it. I don't get the 'obnoxiously synthetic' feeling so many describe. No headaches or allergies, I actually find it comforting.

HYPNOSE: I put this side by side with a sample of LeMale and they're similar for about 5 minutes...at which point the construction of Hypnose shows itself to be far superior and better blended. It's like a quieter, more well-rounded version of LeMale. I really, really like this one and I'm surprised by the amount of negative reviews I've read about it. Seems versatile and I think they nailed the sillage here, not a molecule too strong or weak. IMO, very underrated. If you've been considering Hypnose, it's time to give it a look.

FUMERIE TURQUE UPDATE

I received a bottle of Fumerie Turque a while ago and had some mixed feelings about it after my first wearing. It was a hot day and I gave it about 10 sprays then proceeded to work out for an hour....so of course the experience was horrible. I left a post on the boards about my impressions. Earlier today, I put one spray on my hand and found it much more pleasing. I think it's gonna be great in the cooler months, but it is definitely NOT a summer or spring scent. It's incredibly strong btw, I can still smell it 12 hours later and after a shower!

NEW ORDER

So, Finally, today I put in an order at Beauty Encounter that I'm really pumped up about...I can't wait till these arrive later this week!!! They are...

Egoiste
    Concentre D'Orange Verte
    Guerlain Homme Intense

Never smelled the Concentre or Guerlain, but I trust that they're good.

Just when I thought I had all the frags I could possibly ever need, these guys popped up. This is a really crazy hobby I never imagined I'd be pursuing.

Oh, I'm selling my Geir Ness on Ebay...if anyone's interested PM me. I'm thinking about putting up my 3.3 of Allure Homme too, but having difficulty parting with it.

Adios Basenoters!

Default Re: Recent Blinds Reviews/Impressions...Fumerie Turque Update....Why the Hypnose Hate....New Order

You got some great blind buys IMO.

Default Re: Recent Blinds Reviews/Impressions...Fumerie Turque Update....Why the Hypnose Hate....New Order

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You got some great blind buys IMO.
    Thanks man. The hardest decision I had to make was between the Concentre D'Orange Verte or Eau D'Orange Verte....it seemed for everyone who preferred the Concentre there was someone else who preferred the Eau...and both seem to have their redeeming qualities....Hey, if the Concentre works out, I guess it can't hurt to get a bottle of the Eau either!

I actually really enjoy Hypnose because I'm fond of (and not overly sensitive to) lavender. The lavender in it IS synthetic and potent as all else, but the blending is good and gives a false and interesting impression of anise. It reminds me more of Apparition Homme than Le Male, and though it's no masterpiece sometimes I look back on it and seem surprised at how much I actually enjoy it.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Wow...what a bag of treats! Some of the fragrances you listed bring fond memories to mind. I've owned and loved Live Jazz, Hypnose Homme, and Christian Dior Dune. In fact, Dune might have been my first introduction to fine, designer colognes which were not readily sold at Walgreens. I wore it with pride and confidence. Perhaps that is why I was always so well received while wearing it...Enjoy those goodies and I look forward to reading of your impressions of Guerlain Homme Intense.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des GarÁons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

I thought we were talking about the band!

....but I agree that Dune is some pretty excellent stuff. Hypnose Homme I'm a bit more on the fence about, though.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Wow...what a bag of treats! Some of the fragrances you listed bring fond memories to mind. I've owned and loved Live Jazz, Hypnose Homme, and Christian Dior Dune. In fact, Dune might have been my first introduction to fine, designer colognes which were not readily sold at Walgreens. I wore it with pride and confidence. Perhaps that is why I was always so well received while wearing it...Enjoy those goodies and I look forward to reading of your impressions of Guerlain Homme Intense.
    Guerlain Homme Intense will complete the trifecta. I have the original and Homme L'Eau and love 'em both. I've heard nothing but great things about the Intense and figure it's worth it to own all three. Your reply is ironic because Walgreens is actually the first place I ever saw Dune! I thought I knew of all the Dior's until I stumbled upon Dune in a 24 hour Walgreens. That's what got me interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I thought we were talking about the band!

....but I agree that Dune is some pretty excellent stuff. Hypnose Homme I'm a bit more on the fence about, though.
    Speaking of band names, I think Fumerie Turque Update sounds pretty good...kind of like Electric Light Orchestra, or Tokyo Hotel. LOL.

10 sprays of Fumerie Turque, and in warm weather! Just reading it I started feeling queasy. But then again I am Mr. Light on the Trigger by nature.

10 sprays in warm weather then an hour workout? LULZ
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

10 sprays of a Lutens? Now that's a frag bomber Scenticidal tendencies eh!? If it is similar in strength to Chergui, then it would probably kill me... You are a brave man... A sillage-pioneer so to speak But jokes aside, I would love to hear what you think about it and elaborate a bit on the notes and its development

First, it took me a while to understand what I liked and didn't. Now, the issue is mostly one of sensitivity. When sensitivity is low I can wear frags like Michael for Men (Kors), whereas other times it's way too strong, for example. However, when I sample a frag that's different from anything I've tried before, I now am able to give myself time to "digest" it. This may have been the most difficult thing to achieve, because it's so easy to just dismiss a frag and never try it again, especially when you've got plenty of others to fiddle around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    First, it took me a while to understand what I liked and didn't. Now, the issue is mostly one of sensitivity. When sensitivity is low I can wear frags like Michael for Men (Kors), whereas other times it's way too strong, for example. However, when I sample a frag that's different from anything I've tried before, I now am able to give myself time to "digest" it. This may have been the most difficult thing to achieve, because it's so easy to just dismiss a frag and never try it again, especially when you've got plenty of others to fiddle around with.

I have some weird tendency to NOT be able to smell frags when they're new (which leads me to do things like apply 10 sprays of Fumerie Turque in a 90 degree apartment)...it's usually not until the 3rd or 4th sample that I can pick up on them easily....I don't know if you remember I posted when I thought I had a defective Body Kouros...the day I got it I couldn't smell a thing! Now, it's 2 or 3 sprays max and I smell it all day.

There was a time when the same thing would happen to me, so I wonder if it's a kind of stage of development when you smell a lot of frags in a short period of time.