Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default New Fragrances: Amouage Honour Woman & Honour Man

This summer Amouage will release two new perfumes based on the final act of Madame Butterfly.

From Cafleurbon:

Honour Woman

Top: Pepper, Rhubarb Leaves, Coriander

Heart: Jasmine, Tuberose, Gardenia, Lily of the Valley, Carnation

Base: Vetiver, Frankincense, Amber, Opoponax, Leather

Honour Man

Top: Pink Pepper, Black Pepper

Heart: Geranium, Elemi, Nutmeg

Base: Patchouli, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Tonka Beans, Musk
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Default Re: New Fragrances: Amouage Honour Woman & Honour Man

added to my test list

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The female of the pair intrigues me, but as always with Amouage, I doubt the note list reveals much of how it actually smells. Still, a must-sniff.

Basenotes Plus

Exciting news, I can't wait to try them.

I must test these also!!!
    Gary

Hmmm, a white floral by Amouage! Each stage sounds like it has perfect notes full of personality, but which ones will dominate? As long as Honour Man isn't dominated by patchouli it should smell great, but we'll see!

16th June launch at their London Store.
    Should make it there on 21st.

Honour Woman sounds the better on paper - but never trust how fragrances on paper
    Patience is the parent of success

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The female of the pair intrigues me, but as always with Amouage, I doubt the note list reveals much of how it actually smells. Still, a must-sniff.
    A most definite 'must sniff' - it's got gardenia in it but as Suga has said - the note list may not correspond to how an Amouage may smell !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sampled today. Not at the top of my Amouage list. The dry down rocks though!
    Top Favorite Houses: Amouage / Tom Ford (name brand or private collection) / Hermes

"Do the next right thing."

Hillaire

Anyone else smell these?

Fantastic news, has anyone else tried these? Amouage is one of those houses that actually cares for quality scents. They may be a bit more expensive than others, but it definitely shows on their scents.

Basenotes Plus

I loved the women's - a beautiful white florals, wasn't so keen on the man's - a harsh, dry woody incense. I did a review on my blog a couple of weeks ago.

I MUST get a bottle of Honour Woman.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

My wife and I also loved the women's. Its a gorgeous white floral. The men's was neither here nor there for me.

Hillaire

I'll read your reviews CPB, and thanks for your impressions. I have samples en route to me now. I am eager to try the womens one esp.

Thanks to a kind BNer, I have smelled both. The male specimen is very very peppery, the female one is a bright "swampy" floral. Both are "white", so to speak, but in different ways. While ok, they seem to be less complex and more mainstream than the old Amouage works, in line with other recent releases like the Opus series. And I much prefer the big old ones (from Gold on).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I'll read your reviews CPB, and thanks for your impressions. I have samples en route to me now. I am eager to try the womens one esp.
    Thank you Hillaire.

I really do think that Honour Woman is one of the best white florals to be released as of late, it has a wonderful, rich and almost pollen-like nature to it that I really enjoy.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Thank you Hillaire.

I really do think that Honour Woman is one of the best white florals to be released as of late, it has a wonderful, rich and almost pollen-like nature to it that I really enjoy.

Candy, I could not agree with you more. I got my sample today, which turned out to be a 100ml bottle from Les Senteurs, courtesy of my SO' intervention!

I find it so divine (it reminds me quite a bit of Divine Divine); its a plush, aldehydic gardenia and magnolia scent. Its dry down phase is not specifically floral; rather it exudes this sort of illuminated, luxe, very complex aroma. (A tad like the drydown of Jil Sander No4, sans the 'darkness')

Anyway, I kept smelling wrists all evening and thinking it reminded me of something very recognizable and very specific from my past. It began to drive me MAD, so I got out some sample filer-drawers and started smelling things from the early nineties. When I got to the Armanis, I already knew what the perfume on the tip of my tongue was... It was the original 'Gio'!! Gio was a gorgeous, complex, and spirited brazen perfume, then she disappeared. But now, perhaps, she's come back, as 'Honor'. She's no longer in your face or sprightly, but her sophistication, grace and poise ought to legendary.

It also quite reminded me of Nicolai's Juste un Reve, but without the nasty tuberose invasion. It's much, much more refined than JUR, too. But they have the same type of sweetness and depth.

It occurred to me it's a nice compliment to Dia Woman; A luscious, bright rose scent is lovely alongside a white floral, which mirrors the best qualities of the rose.

It's my second favorite ladies Amouage
    I will be wearing this one for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 2nd September 2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: to make my comments even more amazing

Blog Entries

Yes - I just got my samples. The women's strikes me as highly original. It's very Amouage, but married to a white floral, which just seems weird as hell, and frankly impossible, but it works. I find it artistically true as well. No Hello Kitty - reserved and pure in a traditional Japanese way - the abstraction of honor, and particularly appropriate to the theme. There is something in the base which echoes the organic and natural beauty of traditional Japanese fabrics and materials, which have a certain beauty which is lost in the polish and complication of Western craftsmanship. Every interpretation of the scenario of Madame Butterfly loses this to some extent - even the plot of the opera, which reflects a subset of Western values even in self-examination of other ones. As such, I really feel this fragrance understands Madame Butterfly better than other artistic interpretations. But what's even slicker is that this is used as a way to bring the Amouage fragrance ethic (incense, resin, amber, and the whole middle-Eastern schtick) into Madame Butterfly as not just acceptable, or reasonable, but as a way of saying something more than the opera itself. WHOA.

And then there is the whole white / butterfly / powdery / texture / purity thing. And the fact that the floral notes are kept JUST right - the perfect restraint - to say all the necessary things.

Yes, and it does smell good. That kind of goes without saying. But what I like is that it is such a radically different white floral, it is easily wearable by a guy. There are bits and pieces of a lot of men's scents in here - just enough that I could actually wear this to work, and people would tell themselves that it was some kind of high-end "white woody powder" analog of D&G the one Gentleman. I don't think I could bear to tell them what it was, even though the art is the best part of it. "Um - no - this is a women's fragrance based on Madame Butterfly. It reminds me a bit of Cashmere Mist, but the symbolism is really the important thing......"

Would I have enough honor to tell them what it really was? NOT SURE.....

Anyway, damn glad that I smelled the ladies' fragrance first. Gotta see Act I before Act II. I can hardly wait to try the men's but I will wait until I've experienced the women's more fully, because I think the men's will be much more challenging and interesting on an artistic level. And - I gotta review this one ASAP, while it's all fresh in my mind.

Thanks Redneck Perfumisto for your impressions! You mentioned a couple of key words that really could do it for me... my only fear is the 'white florals' being a non-descript synthetic smelling accord that puts me off or disappoints hugely in the composition. Anyway, I am looking forward to trying this hopefully soon, when this eventually makes a touchdown in our local store.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Thanks Redneck Perfumisto for your impressions! You mentioned a couple of key words that really could do it for me... my only fear is the 'white florals' being a non-descript synthetic smelling accord that puts me off or disappoints hugely in the composition. Anyway, I am looking forward to trying this hopefully soon, when this eventually makes a touchdown in our local store.
    The white floral accord is lush and creamy, it's a really beautiful blend of tuberose, jasmine, gardenia and lily of the valley. There is nothing synthetic or nondescript about it, you have nothing to worry about

Thanks Candy Perfume Boy... so, I fear not I might go coming Friday and check on its touchdown here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    The white floral accord is lush and creamy, it's a really beautiful blend of tuberose, jasmine, gardenia and lily of the valley. There is nothing synthetic or nondescript about it, you have nothing to worry about
    I agree totally. I'm not exactly a huge fan of white florals, so when they're good to me, they're good. I despise naked synthy floral scents - e.g., lilial and lyral - sticking out of a composition like a sharp object poking out of a garbage bag. UGH.

The creaminess is the thing. It's a gauze-like texture, like a wedding veil. Somebody knew exactly what they were doing here.

Hmmm, my friend and I tried both yesterday. I thought the woman's was nice, slightly better than just OK, but certainly not amazing and it didn't trigger my impulse to buy. There was a note that might have been aquatic that bothered me. It also only lasted about 3 hours. I can't describe all the notes, I'm not good at that but it seemed just like it was made for western tastes in that its a floral with a slight aquatic note. Pleasant, non offensive, easy to wear. Its the kind of scent I'd wear to someone's wedding.

I liked the men's better, though they are nothing alike. The mens got stronger as the day went on, and it was very dry at the back at the throat when smelling throughout the day. Really good longevity.

Blog Entries

I'm so interested to hear people's responses. I just tried honours, man and woman, and had the same reaction as many of you. Woman: just gogeous. Sits somehow comfortably in its own world between the 'proper' white floral and the tropical floral. Captures the best of both and completely draws me in. Man: didn't find compelling, and actually found a bit confusing. I've posted the man review @ Fragrantica and will put on Bnotes when I can.
    jtd

I finally got a sample of Amouage Honour Woman! Frankly, I was a bit underwhelmed initially. "Really subtle" was what came to mind. And it is subtle on my skin. There is a green note that tinges the opening, and then it becomes soft, gently flowery and behaves as an inherent part of my own skin. I thought I felt tuberose. I was worried about the incense when I read the notes, but I don't smell it. Although I've worn it only a couple of times, I've come to appreciate it. It is very elegant, in an understated way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    I finally got a sample of Amouage Honour Woman! Frankly, I was a bit underwhelmed initially. "Really subtle" was what came to mind. And it is subtle on my skin. There is a green note that tinges the opening, and then it becomes soft, gently flowery and behaves as an inherent part of my own skin. I thought I felt tuberose. I was worried about the incense when I read the notes, but I don't smell it. Although I've worn it only a couple of times, I've come to appreciate it. It is very elegant, in an understated way.
    Yes - elegantly understated! And I hear you about the incense. I was sufficiently scared by the incense as to say "no way". But they managed to work it in a way that works.