Code of Conduct

Default Can't wait for my latest samples..Parfums de Nicolaï, Nobile 1942...

PdN: Odalisque, New York, Sacrebleu - yes I'm a sucker for evocative Luca Turin reviews.

Nobile 1942 Patchouli

Guerlain Nahema

Donna Karan Chaos (new reissue)

I believe I can find true perfume love that isn't a 1970's or older endangered-species chypre. I have recently sampled a lot of contemporary releases of things that I was able to get store samples of: J'adore, Bulgari Femme, Bulgari Mon Jasmin Noir, Cartier De Lune, even revisited Pleasures Intense. Some of these have some great moments, but they all seem to quickly dry down to boring musks for me.

Now, the waiting...

Default Re: Can't wait for my latest samples..Parfums de Nicolaï, Nobile 1942...

The anticipation!

Let us know what you think when they finally arrive, and keep us posted on the results of your search.

Default Re: Can't wait for my latest samples..Parfums de Nicolaï, Nobile 1942...

Sacrebleu, if I recall properly, shares a certain something (fuzziness? Frenchness?) with Chamade. I think you will enjoy it.

Are you sampling New York for yourself or with someone else in mind? This is one of the ones I own that I think, somewhat perversely, I would enjoy even more in small doses on a woman than I do on myself (Égoïste and Kouros immediately spring to mind).

I love Screbleu but dislike the opening notes, all blackberry jam. Once the dry down hits it turns fabulous.
    DONNA

I wanted to sample New York for myself, since so many perfumes I like are worn as masculines. But if it seems like something my husband might like, I'll definitely have him try it too.

If you love Odalisque, you ought to try Love & Tears, too. The top notes smell much like the old formulation of Odalisque did, before they stripped it of much of its lushness.

I love Odalisque, too. When I wear it, I feel the need to behave as a lady ;-P
    How does sunshine smell like?

Heartbreak - I used Google checkout for the first time ever for something that actually needed to be shipped (have used it for software, etc) and it had an old address as my shipping address.

OK, in the grand scheme of things, not a tragedy, but I was really looking forward to getting some of those packages this week

Clearly the only rational course of action would be to order yet other samples to console me while I wait...

Clearly

Let us know! I love Sacrebleu, a sweet amber with a lot of depth and a little goes a long way. Didn't care for New York.

You should try Jasmin Noir, Mon Jasmin Noir is nowhere near the original.

Default Consolation package arrived: L'air du Desert Marocain

I ordered a decant of LADDM as one of my consolation packages - call it phase 2 of testing since I had a sample vial already. Suffice to say this is on my FB wishlist, full swoon experience. I love the frankincense note in this, and the dryness. I can think of so many things that have these notes, but there's something very special about this one.

Yesterday I wore SL Ambre Sultan, also from a sample. I have to say that it's very nice stuff, and if gifted with a bottle I'd wear it, but I prefer LADDM. Ambre Sultan mainly interests me in the herbal notes up top, and the drydown seems similar to a lot of other things, and gives that feeling that I've seen this before rather often.

Ambre Sultan was created in 1993 so a lot of flankers from other houses in the nearly twenty years. Most ambers have this sweet vanilla fudge thing going on. AS was the dark and dirty version waiting to happen.
    DONNA

Truth be told they are both pretty awesome...I might put the AS decant on my wishlist.

Most of my samples have arrived, except for the Patchouli Nobile. Nahéma to have leaked out, the sample vial is totally empty, and the package smells like roses. Oh well, at least I know what Nahéma smells like now.

None of the Nicolaï perfumes knocked my socks off, but very few things do on the first try. I find Nicolaï "Maharajah" and Donna Karan Chaos to be similar, Chaos has more clove - hmm, why isn't lavender oriental it's own subgenre? I have a feeling these will grow on me, and that they might be more suitable for winter or fall.

Sacre bleu is another that I think will grow on me. I prefer it to L'Heure Bleue right off the bat, probably my nose doesn't grok some of the notes in LHB.

Oddly enough, not swooning over my new samples, I revisited Diorella, something which underwhelmed me when I tried it, although the description sounded perfect. I am finding a lot more interest in Diorella now and wore it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    - yes I'm a sucker for evocative Luca Turin reviews.
    Me too! But I find he so often gets it right. Happy waiting!
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Nobile 1942 Patchouli
    Just tried this also, I liked it a lot. Its cool and smooth. The amber is pretty decent also.

I still haven't received the Patchouli Nobile, due to the original mixup and slowness of USPS. I'm sure it will show up eventually.

I ordered another set, CdG Man 2, Malle Musc Ravageur, Profumo.it Hindu Kush. The only one of those that I really dug was the Hindu Kush. Musc Ravageur, well, it wasn't a scrubber per se, but I did in fact scrub it because I suddenly wasn't in the mood to test it anymore.

CdG Man 2 was a bit of a disappointment because I had heard the snuffed candle note described often enough. I am not detecting much of that note and the fragrance is a lot lighter than I thought it'd be. If CB ever makes a "snuffed candle" accord I'll buy it.

I separated out a lot of my unisex and men's samples that I wasn't often using and put them together in a bunch for my husband to try. The only one not explicitly men's or unisex was the DK Chaos, but that smells really "manly" to me. He does not share my opinion that there's little real difference between men's and women's frags. In that bunch is Bulgari Black, Le Labo Patchouli 24, Chanel Pour Monsieur (I would love it if he took to this one) PdN New York, Eau D'Italie Sienne l'Hiver, and maybe a couple of others. I think since he likes A*Men Pure Havane he should give Bulgari Black a spin.

I read somewhere around here never to get rid of samples since they can grow on you. That is true for me, in fact, at least half of the things I love now were things that I disliked at first. I'm wondering if sampling things in the heat is really a true test, since it changes my perception of my old favorites pretty clearly. In fact the division of scents into "warm weather" and "cool weather" makes more sense to me than the division of masculine and feminine.
    Last edited by HazelMae; 10th July 2011 at 03:09 AM.

I still haven't received the Patchouli Nobile, due to the original mixup and slowness of USPS.
    If you get tired of waiting... pm me and I'll send you the rest of my sample.

That is very kind of you! I did finally receive the Patchouli Nobile, and I've been enjoying it. It strikes me as sort of the fresher, greener side of patchouli, and the amber base is fairly novel (at least to me.) This will do nicely for a straight-up patchouli soliflore-type scent.

Incidentally, my car, which I bought in December, still smells like patchouli, though I can't smell it anymore. I visited some relatives this past weekend and they said my car smells strongly of it! Specifically, to me it smelled like Coromandel. I wonder if that subliminally influenced me to buy the car?