Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Eau de Guerlain

I'm searching for a masculine citrus with good longevity, and was hoping to hear thoughts on the main differences (and similarities) between Eau de Guerlain vs Blenheim Bouquet....or if there are other recommendations?

Cheers!

Default Re: Thoughts on Eau de Guerlain

I think Eau de Guerlain is a wonderful scent. I don't care for the other one which I tried and disliked.

I own many of Penhaligon's scents but, to my own surprise, could never get my nose round the Blenheim. I do have and enjoy Eau de Guerlain, it's not nearly so dry and austere as the Blenheim (doesn't have the overdose of pine) but it does have a nice herbal base in the dry down.

Eau de Guerlain lasts a surprisingly long time on me as well which is great and makes it my first choice for a warm weather citrus. I also heartily recommend GFT by Geo F Trumper and the brilliant Cologne Sologne by Parfums de Nicolai.

Thanks. I should point out that I've sampled BB already, but not EdG. Haven't been impressed with most of the Pen's line, unfortunately....but this is starting to grow on me. However, @$100 per bottle, I'd rather be 'wow'ed'...if you know what I mean.

I went a bit crazy with the Pen's buying when I got into buying fragrance at the start of the year, but I don't regret any of them even tho' thanks to the great noses on here I have found other Houses I prefer. Still love Raquets more than most of the rest of my collection tho!

You ever tried Acqua di Parma Colonia or Viloresi's Acqua di Colonia... there both really good as well

Aromaholic, that's a great suggestion! Thanks! Was very impressed with the quality of Nicolai recently when I sampled New York, so that's one to look at for sure. A tasteful, classically powerful warm weather/summer citrus is exactly what I'm seeking

Sur la Plage

Eau de Guerlain is "meh" - nothing I would spend money on.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Petruccijc, any favorites in the citrus category you would recommend ? Tks.

Aromaholic, I haven't tried AdP, doesn't it have longevity issues in general? Will do some research on Villoresi's AdC as well. Tks!

I like EdG a lot. The main citrus component is lemon verbena, which is borderline citrus, being a combination of citrusy and vegetal components. So whether one likes it or not depend on one's taste for verbena (have you ever drunk a verveine herbal tea?).

cacio

Eau de Guerlain, Acqua di Parma Colonia & Villoresi Aqua di Colonia are all exceptional IMO, but we are talking the Eau de Cologne end of the spectrum here so longevity is not really a major part of the criteria for rating or choosing one of these. Eaux are generally quite fleeting, good ones anyway, because they contain a low concentration of parfum and are not bolstered with synthetic fixatives to make them last - the general intent is a natural feel and also pretty liberal application. That said all three see me comfortably into the afternoon, at least.

It's a bit like the tradesman's answer to a demanding client - "you can have it good, you can have it cheap, you can have it fast - pick two".

IMHO the best EDCs smell natural, make you feel like a million dollars but don't stick around. If you want to add more longevity to the equation than is 'natural' you are getting into a composition, an EDT, that will (hopefully) offer you a great natural, citrus opening and then transition into something else, using herbal, floral or woody notes to extend the citrus 'idea'.

I'm talking too much . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 2nd June 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like EdG a lot. The main citrus component is lemon verbena, which is borderline citrus, being a combination of citrusy and vegetal components. So whether one likes it or not depend on one's taste for verbena (have you ever drunk a verveine herbal tea?).

cacio
    I've only experienced verbena in room diffusers...and generally they seem like a very 'amplified' citrus, quite sweet in a way that you can almost taste, and which I like. That might explain your tea reference, I'll have to give the verveine herbal a try. tks!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's a bit like the tradesman's answer to a demanding client - "you can have it good, you can have it cheap, you can have it fast - pick two".

IMHO the best EDCs smell natural, make you feel like a million dollars but don't stick around. If you want to add more longevity to the equation than is 'natural' you are getting into a composition, an EDT, that will (hopefully) offer you a great natural, citrus opening and then transition into something else, using herbal, floral or woody notes to extend the citrus 'idea'.

I'm talking too much . . .
    Lol, no sir, you're not talking too much at all...in fact, that's an excellent and comprehensive summarization! I couldn't agree with you more. It's a shame we have to make that somewhat of a trade-off between natural vs. longevity. To be honest, I don't know which side of the fence I fall over to at this point...I'm open to either if the scent really 'works' for me.
    Last edited by GlobalGentleman; 2nd June 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Find the one you really like and then decant and reapply throughout the day! That's what I do with my colognes anyway.

Eau de Guerlain is their one Eau that has any longevity beyond 30 minutes or so. They put some oak moss and musk in the base. It sticks around quite awhile, but it is subtle. Can I suggest Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It does the Eau thing, but has the been ramped up to last all day. Have you tried Concentre d'Orange Verte by Hermes, another ramped-up version of a classic Eau formula.

I think Eau de Guerlain is quite nice. It's a edc deluxe with some added elements. Not bad at all. If you can get a decent deal on it, I would certainly go for it.

Consider Eau de Rochas Homme. I used to wear EdG a lot and like EdRHomme better.

It's an amazing scent but as I don't like verveine I had to pass on...

My suggestions is Moustache

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The other Guerlain EDCs are timeless....but like an aging artist Eau de guerlain is stuck in the 70s. And by that I mean after the nice citrus on top dissipates in minutes, you get a huge herbal note (thyme) which persists till the end into a mossy base. Its more herbs+citrus than citrus+herbs. Hence the 6-7 hour longevity. I prefer Blenheim Bouquet, even though its characteristic pine notes have suffered a lot in recent reformulations. But people who dont like pine but are into herbs/moss will be lured more by Eau de guerlain.
    -

While I enjoy Eau de Guerlain's dry citrus gangbang, its herbal qualities really make it a party. That austere, ethereal note of carraway seed in particular is not for everyone.

Noteworthy also for being a modern-era EdC-type scent that does more than a typical cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    While I enjoy Eau de Guerlain's dry citrus gangbang, its herbal qualities really make it a party. That austere, ethereal note of carraway seed in particular is not for everyone.

Noteworthy also for being a modern-era EdC-type scent that does more than a typical cologne.
    Wow. What a fantastic review. Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Aromaholic View Post
    Find the one you really like and then decant and reapply throughout the day! That's what I do with my colognes anyway.
    Just what I was about to suggest.

for swap/sale:

Its nice but as is the nature of cologne-type perfumes, longevity are not their strong points.
    I would suggest either Douro by Penhaligons or Concentrée d'Orange verte by Hermes. I actually keep these two at work because they definitely need to be reapplied halfway through the work day, or 4 hours later.

Awkwardly, I can say, my perfume brings all the boys to the yard, they're like it's better than yours loooool

for swap/sale:

Many many sincere thanks to all who gave such wonderfully comprehensive, even educational replies and suggestions for a great citrus. I think the bottom line is...it's time to sample more before deciding on something. I'm in no rush to drop $$ on a bottle of something until I sample one that I absolutely feel passionate about. i.e. I'm in this for the long run A couple more that peaked interest from your suggestions, other BN reviews, and Turin comments are: Eau de Rochas Homme, Monsieur Balmain, and the AdP offerings. They all seem to get very good praise and sit somewhere between natural type quality and longevity. Not to mention, my original curiosity about Eau de Guerlain is strengthened, so that'll be on the sample list as well for good comparison. Having worn the Blenheim Bouquet yesterday, it's growing on me, but not by any means a love affair yet....

Cheers to all!!

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Eau de Guerlain

The Diptyque colognes are amazing !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I have yet to try any of the Guerlain Eaux. I'm afraid to buy blind.
    However, I own and wear BB and love it especially for summer nights. I don't really consider it to be in the EDC genre. Citrus yes, like some of the others that are mentioned. Eau Sauvage should also be mentioned here and I get very good longevity from both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    The Diptyque colognes are amazing !!!
    Which Diptyque would you recommend in this category Roberto? I have a Tam Dao sample on the way, and that'll be my first experience with Diptyque frags...but I realize that's more of a sensual sandalwood oriental. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I have yet to try any of the Guerlain Eaux. I'm afraid to buy blind.
    However, I own and wear BB and love it especially for summer nights. I don't really consider it to be in the EDC genre. Citrus yes, like some of the others that are mentioned. Eau Sauvage should also be mentioned here and I get very good longevity from both of these.
    I was pleasantly surprised at the longevity I got from BB yesterday. Keep in mind it became a 'very' close skin scent, but was evident from 7am well into the evening. Maybe it's the warm, woody musk that keeps propelling it??...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have worn Eau de Guerlain often enough to know it lasts all day and does not need reapplication, and i live in a humid tropical climate. EdG, actually an EDT, is not like other Guerlain true Eaux de Colognes.

A full-wear sampling of piney Blenheim Bouquet in blazing hot Dubai indicated good longevity as well. But since i already had (shock, horror!) Pino Silvestre i did not have much yearning to buy the BB.

Both EdG and BB are good quality frags and are worth their place in any serious wardrobe.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Eau de Guerlain

[QUOTE=GlobalGentleman;2189502]Which Diptyque would you recommend in this category Roberto? I have a Tam Dao sample on the way, and that'll be my first experience with Diptyque frags...but I realize that's more of a sensual sandalwood oriental. Tks.

L' EAU DE NEROLI and L'EAU DE TAROCCO. Also L'EAU DES HESPERIDES. I own and love them.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Eau de Guerlain is their one Eau that has any longevity beyond 30 minutes or so. They put some oak moss and musk in the base. It sticks around quite awhile, but it is subtle. Can I suggest Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It does the Eau thing, but has the been ramped up to last all day. Have you tried Concentre d'Orange Verte by Hermes, another ramped-up version of a classic Eau formula.
    Thank you Kevin! I wondered what that base was in EdG! It is what makes it last and what I don't like about it. It is not anything like the initial scent. It's as though the cologne goes off the tracks into some barren wasteland after a nice train ride thru bright fields of glistening radiance. Chanel's Eau de Cologne is similar. Great at first and then I just don't like it at all.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez