Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question The Great OR BLACK by Pascal Morabito

Hello everyone,

For a while I had been interested in trying this fragrance. My friend pluran and I briefly talked about it, but I was just curious as to whether this one really is worth seeking out. I like classic leather chypres, and I like scents such as DK Fuel for Men by Donna Karan. I've heard Or Black compared to this one. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: The Great OR BLACK by Pascal Morabito

Absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

it's currently on top of my to sample list (via blind buying a full bottle probably)
    I think we will both like it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know the leather note in Cuir Ottoman, then you know the leather note in Or Black. Both are very good leather fragrances, but Or Black is simultaneously softer and more of a traditional masculine, its leather paired with tobacco and a slightly sudsy base.

For power and complexity I prefer Cuir Ottoman, but Or Black is beautiful and excellent and more in line with traditional men's fragrances, for those who that may be a concern.

It's not a chypre at all to my nose, though; nothing like Cabochard, Azuree, Bandit, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't understand the Fuel comparison. Different worlds, to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the vintage version. The opening is a blast of birch tar, to my nose quite similar to that found in Knize 10, it then morphs into something subtler. These are a pair of very original blends in my wardrobe for other leather-based scents (Aramis, for example) pale in comparison.

Edit: Sugandarja mentions Cabochard, Azuree and Bandit, I mentioned Aramis... you get the idea behind the differences between these and Or Black - think of a very bold opening hard to find in most.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more of a fougere than a chypre. I might be able to obtain you a 1 oz. bottle for a reasonable price if you decide you're into Or Black.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

AromiErotici

I am wearing Or Black right now. I currently only have the new version and in truth, I find it more versatile than the vintage. With that said, I also love the original formula.....so I should get myself a vintage soon.

Here's my review of it.

Or Black by Morabito

Every time I revisit Morabito's Or Black, I am reminded of a cult favorite; an all time great leather rendition that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I don't know if it has to do with availability or marketing gaffes when the fragrance was released.

Don't get me wrong.....there are people who are aware of Or Black and that it's a no nonsense leather heavyweight.....but it seems these "people" are fragrance enthusiasts. Casual fragrance fans ( more than likely) have never heard of it. Leather buffs would be well served sampling this masculine. This is leather served up dark, strong and unapologetic. I thoroughly enjoyed Sugandaraja's review of this heady brew and am compelled to add my own since I concur and have held Or Black in high esteem. My thanks go out to Vibert for turning me on to this scent a few years ago. ( ****note**** I have a very difficult time differentiating Andrew from his new username !!!)

Powerful out of the bottle, Or Black blankets the skin with a blast of citric leather and spice. The pepper is deftly used here and the opening lasts a good 20 minutes on my skin. I cannot say this is upscale leather or a refined accord. It's not. It's also strong but not harsh and seemingly falls between the two. It's like punk rock leather.....but in a good way. It's masculine with some angst thrown in for good measure.

This ruggedness is tempered with an emergence of tonka, cistus and amber. They, along with benzoin, ylang, vetiver and moss add a dusting of soothing powder and sweet resin and reign in the testosterone just a hair. The drydown takes awhile due to the overall strength of Or Black and settles down on your skin exhibiting a comfortable leathery-tobacco with an occasional nod at earthiness.

Pascal Morabito's Or Black is well done and reminds me of leather Darth Vadar would wear. Can you say Knize Who?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I am wearing Or Black right now. I currently only have the new version and in truth, I find it more versatile than the vintage. With that said, I also love the original formula.....so I should get myself a vintage soon.

Here's my review of it.

Or Black by Morabito

Every time I revisit Morabito's Or Black, I am reminded of a cult favorite; an all time great leather rendition that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I don't know if it has to do with availability or marketing gaffes when the fragrance was released.

Don't get me wrong.....there are people who are aware of Or Black and that it's a no nonsense leather heavyweight.....but it seems these "people" are fragrance enthusiasts. Casual fragrance fans ( more than likely) have never heard of it. Leather buffs would be well served sampling this masculine. This is leather served up dark, strong and unapologetic. I thoroughly enjoyed Sugandaraja's review of this heady brew and am compelled to add my own since I concur and have held Or Black in high esteem. My thanks go out to Vibert for turning me on to this scent a few years ago. ( ****note**** I have a very difficult time differentiating Andrew from his new username !!!)

Powerful out of the bottle, Or Black blankets the skin with a blast of citric leather and spice. The pepper is deftly used here and the opening lasts a good 20 minutes on my skin. I cannot say this is upscale leather or a refined accord. It's not. It's also strong but not harsh and seemingly falls between the two. It's like punk rock leather.....but in a good way. It's masculine with some angst thrown in for good measure.

This ruggedness is tempered with an emergence of tonka, cistus and amber. They, along with benzoin, ylang, vetiver and moss add a dusting of soothing powder and sweet resin and reign in the testosterone just a hair. The drydown takes awhile due to the overall strength of Or Black and settles down on your skin exhibiting a comfortable leathery-tobacco with an occasional nod at earthiness.

Pascal Morabito's Or Black is well done and reminds me of leather Darth Vadar would wear. Can you say Knize Who?
    Damn. Definitely sounds like something I'd like. I remember my dad wearing dark, ashen scents like Jacomo de Jacomo and Zino when I was a kid, so I developed a taste for those early on. If Or Black is dark like that, then I'll probably like it.

Aromi, would you say the reformulation is a decent one? Is the current version better for a young guy like me?

Thanks for the responses, everyone else!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

I own a vintage and a current version. I like the vintage much better as it's way darker in tone and the whole composition simply smells more coherent - with a smooth transition between the top-, heart-, and basenotes. More peppery, too. Yes, the current one is still recognizable but it leaves me with the impression that they tried to drag the beast into the light, in an attempt to make it tamer and probably more unisex.

I love the vintage version, it's one of my definitive alltime favourites.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Damn. Definitely sounds like something I'd like. I remember my dad wearing dark, ashen scents like Jacomo de Jacomo and Zino when I was a kid, so I developed a taste for those early on. If Or Black is dark like that, then I'll probably like it.

Aromi, would you say the reformulation is a decent one? Is the current version better for a young guy like me?

Thanks for the responses, everyone else!
    My opinion is that you would like the new formulation. I thinks it's more versatile.

A good idea is to get a mini of the old on evilbay or ( better yet) a vial from a member willing to send you one. I can send you a sample of the newer. From there, you can compare which one ( if any) suit you best.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say.....if you like a fragrance like Azzaro PH, than you will probably like Or Black.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FYI:

Pascal Morabito Or Black (1982) Leather
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Black Pepper, Leather •Middle Notes: Sage, Benzoin, Incense •Base Notes: Vetiver, Amber, Musk, Oakmoss
    ------------------

I love this one. Somehow it is a powerful leather note, but balanced by beautiful musks, resins, and woods. Distinct, but not overpowering. Lasts quite a long time, but gets closer to the skin as it dries down.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

A great fragrance - but also try the womens version, OR NOIR. Also incredible and very wearable for a man.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Descartes; 19th June 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Off-Scenter

Very much worth trying, and no, I don't see much similarity to Fuel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read about this here and there...sounds really interesting! Wish I knew where I could smell this one.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

crystal flacon, perfumer's court or blind buy a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question, I'm sure Alfrom can answer. If I already own Knize Ten and planning on purchasing Derby, do I really need Or Black?

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

YES Duke, YES!. Or Black is another beast. Where Derby is greaner, Or Black is definitel darker and mossier. Knize Ten is more androgynous with its overall dandified allure while Or Black is by all means masculine (not a good characteristic per se but it gives the fragrance a very different vibe). M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y.

That said, I couldn't leave without any of these...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    YES Duke, YES!. Or Black is another beast. Where Derby is greaner, Or Black is definitel darker and mossier. Knize Ten is more androgynous with its overall dandified allure while Or Black is by all means masculine (not a good characteristic per se but it gives the fragrance a very different vibe). M-A-N-D-A-T-O-R-Y.

That said, I couldn't leave without any of these...
    I guess I have no choice then! Is there anywhere in Paris to purchase it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to go wrong with Or Black. It's a fougere with some birch tar added to give it a leathery vibe. Also an interesting violet or sage note to it or something that gives it some freshness.. Excellent juice without a doubt!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been able to buy this from Pascal Morabito,s shop which is in Paris, I believe. I used their website and works fine.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Is there anywhere in Paris to purchase it?
    Good point! I've been to Paris in June and I haven't seen it anywhere. I've been at the Place Vendome address I took from the Morabito's website but thir shop was't there. Appearantly it was their mailing address only. They just have their offices there...You should better ask to some Paris-based member...

Last option could be to get it directly form their website but they charge ridiculous shipmnet fares...I got mine from the marketplace here on BN.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question, I'm sure Alfrom can answer. If I already own Knize Ten and planning on purchasing Derby, do I really need Or Black?
    I can definitely second Alfarom on this one - these are very different leather fragrances. I heartily enjoy Or Black ( if Cuir Ottoman didn't exist, it would be my pick for leather ), but don't really enjoy Knize Ten or find them similar at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy I ordered from the website, it's a great robust piece of work. Haven't tried an earlier formulations but no problems with this one, at all. It's almost monastic - no attempt to charm you at all, but the definite feel of oakmoss in the equation is all the charm I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Or Black is drier, more astringent than most of the others mentioned.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th August 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Completely different than Knize Ten. K10 is amazing but also very different.
    K10 is very sharp. Straightforward or more starlight forward than Or Black.

Or Blaci is deeper, darker and like a labyrinth. So very complex.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Completely different than Knize Ten. K10 is amazing but also very different.
    K10 is very sharp. Straightforward or more starlight forward than Or Black.

Or Blaci is deeper, darker and like a labyrinth. So very complex.
    Great, I need to find a sample now.

It is a perfect male fragrance that could be worn by females.

I purchased the After Shave version of OR Black. (on its way to me) How is it compared to EDT? Still going strong?
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing scent. I am wearing it the day before Thanksgiving here in the USA, and I can't escape the sage, nutmeg (not listed) and citrus. These are traditional smells fir this celebration, and I feel that I must wear something completely opposite tomorrow so as not to compete with the amazing feast. This scent is every bit as delicious and filling as a Thanksgiving meal. If you are not into complex, powerhouse fragrances this is probably not for you, but I plan on getting a backup bottle. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a powerhouse but not like Antaeus and the likes.

Sort of like an iron fist in a velvet glove.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage this ...reform that.. Blah blah .

Here's the short of it. ITS BADASS juice! If you're a guy with limited disposable cash like me, get the eBay bottle that's $45 + 12 shipping to the USA . Mine took a week door to door. Is it less amazing than the sample of vintage that a BN friend sent me? Yes maybe a little. But for the price I have zero complaints. It's an uppercut of awesomeness, that dries down into a wonderful smooth balanced leather scent. The opening may be a bit challenging for some, just like the amazing 10! But bearing with the harsh beginning is very worth it! Blind buy ? YES !
    Unlike anything you already own. The perfect description was "Darth Vader"
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice top notes, then a light clean scent? Terrible reformulation? Wrong scent? It's this one

Girlfriend liked it when snuggling up very close but personally I'm tempted to sell it as too weak. Will have to try it a few more times.

Fragrantica
    Or Black 2014 by Pascal Morabito is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. Or Black 2014 was launched in 2014. The fragrance features bergamot, herbal notes, resins, pepper, precious woods, musk and amber.
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/P...014-22367.html

These reviews sound about right

The original one was dark , deep, the new one is a clean leather- floral . It became elegant , making no waves , lost all its former temper . A kind of young Knize Ten mixed with nice flowers . Not bad but different from the first one ( there are some similarities in the head notes , only )

Smells resiny in the bottle, and when applied, creates this mysterious sweet-resiny, heavy aroma that lasts two minutes. Two minutes? I was hoping that WAS the scent. After that, comes the skin-scent rose that you literally have to inhale your wrist to smell. If you really overapply it, a third phase comes out -- the wafting ylang ylang. Dark? Depressing? Nope. If you overapply it, the longevity is eight hours, mostly in the ylang ylang drydown; otherwise you're looking at four hours, tops.
    I find the dark leather scent lasts a while, not just 2 minutes, but only close to the skin and when applied generously.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 28th November 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a bottle of the new Or Black directly from Pascal Morabito 69 Euro and free international shipping.
    Does it come in a nice bottle now? (see above) or does it still come in the plain "re-charge" bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a bottle of the new Or Black directly from Pascal Morabito 69 Euro and free international shipping.
    Does it come in a nice bottle now? (see above) or does it still come in the plain "re-charge" bottle?
    Probably depends if you've ordere a re-fill or Or Black 2014. The bottle, whilst it looks ok, isn't of great quality. The metal/plastic (can't remember what it was made of) parts on the bottle can come off quite easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Probably depends if you've ordere a re-fill or Or Black 2014. The bottle, whilst it looks ok, isn't of great quality. The metal/plastic (can't remember what it was made of) parts on the bottle can come off quite easily.
    OK, fair enough. It seems the bottle I purchased is the only option for Or Black, I didn't see the re-charge bottle, or the 500 Euro limited edition bottle. How's the juice BTW? Is this the 2nd formulation or is there a 3rd generation now?

EDIT:

Actually on a second look it seems that the re-fill bottle is indeed still available for sale. I wonder if it varies in anyway to the new Or Black 2014.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 15th January 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Mandatory purchase IMO.
    do you mean the vintage or the new one ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my new bottle of the 2014 formulation. Toned down and nowhere near as tenacious in the resinous opening (rather fleeting too I might add). Overall a little disappointed at this point, we'll see.....