Code of Conduct

Default What's the buzz about Charles of the Ritz "Ritz"?

I'm a little clueless about this particular brand... I understand that CotR and Lanvin merged in the 60s, but is it true that their "Ritz" perfume sells for big bucks these days? Why so special? Can anyone give me any insights into this scent or brand?
    Theres just 2 reviews in the directory.

Thanks

Default Re: What's the buzz about Charles of the Ritz "Ritz"?

Well, I'm not sure if this will help because I was under the impression that "Ritz" and "Charles of the Ritz" referred to the same fragrance, but it looks like they're different according to the directory (and neither of the reviews actually describe the scent - well, maybe a bit but "coppery" throws me off - so I have no idea which scent they're referring to, if they are indeed different ...as the database has been wrong before) so I'll just share what I know. I'm familiar with the fragrance that came in the canisters (I don't know if it's from '71 or '77) and it's a lush and beautiful aldehydic floral, but I don't recall any specific floral impressions....maybe orange blossom. If I were pressed, my closest guess for relatives would include No22, or maybe Lancome's Climat, but sweeter ...or a less sweet Boucheron, perhaps? But it was glorious, and I'd love to find some old stock - I think it would hold up quite well due to the packaging.

I went through two bottles in the early 80s - the silver canister that says "Ritz", and then the all burgundy canister. I've seen the frosted glass bottles with the leaf and it looks like that's also called "Charles of the Ritz", but I'm suspicious of that one for some reason, probably because I've never seen it in person, although it says "original" on the bottle so it could be a more recent re-release...? I've also seen the smaller all glass bottles that say "Ritz" on some, and then others with the burgundy labels that say "Charles of the Ritz" - both of these, I'm pretty sure, contain the fragrance that I know and love, but the only one I can talk about with any certainty comes in the canister.

Lol - I hope this sheds some light on it, but I get the feeling I might have just enhanced the confusion.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 3rd June 2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I just wanted to add that although I don't know a thing about their earlier fragrances, Charles of the Ritz was a rather high-end department store cosmetics brand in the late 70s/early 80s, and Charles of the Ritz/Ritz and Ritual were their primary fragrances then. Enjoli came soon after, then Senchal, Forever Krystal, Carrington, and Xia Xiang as I recall, but they were drugstore scents. I have no idea what happened to the brand, but Ritz was previously very highly regarded. I remember when they disappeared from the shelves, as well as some of the resulting brouhaha from its fans. I've seen BIN prices of $300 and more for the coveted large Ritz canisters on ebay.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thanks Evangeline!
    Well, as far as I know, after the merger with Lanvin in the 60s, Charles of the Ritz was eventually sold off to Revlon, but then the fragrances in their portfolio closed in the 90's sometime. But not all of them had been in production at the time of the company's demise. Some scents (like Enjoli) are still marketed under the Revlon name.
    I'm curious, because about 10 days ago I came upon some Charles of the Ritz products in the burgundy packaging at an antiques store, but I kind of passed right over them as there were a few more recognisable colognes in the pile. It was only when I stumbled upon a photo yesterday that I came to understand that certain parts of the Ritz line are coveted. I might just have to go back to the store today and see if they're still there. One *might* have been a bath oil, Im not sure. I think there were 2 boxes of somethingorother. But I distinctly recall the burgundy box and silver RITZ logo.

Thanks again for the response Evangeline.

*Update*
    I bought them today... a Ritz Cologne spray and Ritz concentrated bath oil.
    I agree: its a wonderful aldehydic scent with a floral/mossy heart.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th June 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Oh good - lucky you!! I'm so glad you like it! Your inquiry made me call my mom, as she recently mentioned that she has a bottle stashed somewhere, so she's going to try to locate that ...although I have my doubts she'll find it. She's never been able to hide anything from me, and that's definitely something I would have "come across" and insisted she give me long ago! But if that doesn't work out, I suppose there's always the ebay option, when I want it enough.

Congrats Dimi - enjoy it!

Ooh, Evangeline, lets hope that Mum has a secret stash somewhere that your prying eyes and trembling fingers couldn't reach!

I've decided to list the oil, and hang onto the Cologne spray for the time being. The oil is very concentrated, and I found the cologne tenacious enough for me. (As with most 70s/80s perfumes, one can usually find something comparable to modern EDT's in an old EDC bottle, and this is the case here).
    The back of the oil box recommends a little diluted in bath water, or direct application to pulse points to be worn as a perfume. I think whoever snatches it up will find its on par with the coveted parfum.

Keep me posted with Mum's progress will you?! I have my fingers crossed.

Any joy Evangeline? Did mum unearth anything?

Ritz by Charles of the Ritz is my absolute favourite perfume and I was saddened to hear it had been discontinued. It's been years since I owned it and I used it sparingly as it was so expensive. However ... I have found a perfume that is about 99% the same. It's called First by Van Cleef and Arpels (hope I spelled that right). It too is pricey but obtainable. I can buy it at The Bay (in Canada). It's almost a dead ringer for Ritz.

Blog Entries

I remember Charles of the Ritz in the burgundy/silver can with checkers. It was gorgeous! It was back in the 70's. I would love to get my hands on some. I would not say it is anything like First. It was much mellower & not so aldehydic. Probably the oak moss is what has kept it off the market. It was so beautiful!!!!!

Ritz and Charles of the Ritz are two different scents. The one I truly loved was RITZ I've only tried a sample of Charles of the Ritz and did not care for it at all.

Does anyone know the notes of Ritz?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I remember Charles of the Ritz in the burgundy/silver can with checkers. It was gorgeous! It was back in the 70's. I would love to get my hands on some. I would not say it is anything like First. It was much mellower & not so aldehydic. Probably the oak moss is what has kept it off the market. It was so beautiful!!!!!

I remember CotR in the burgundy canister. The nearest thing that came into my mind as a comparator was a rival of the time, the much mourned original Rafinee. CotR was more chypre Rafinee the slightly more oriental. I can't see the comparison with First. That must be Ritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    I remember CotR in the burgundy canister. The nearest thing that came into my mind as a comparator was a rival of the time, the much mourned original Rafinee. CotR was more chypre Rafinee the slightly more oriental. I can't see the comparison with First. That must be Ritz.
    Yes, I too recall with great fondness this perfume in the burgundy and silver checkered can from the 70's. I have searched extensively with no success until recently when I found 2 cannisters. It was with great excitement I perused ( planning to purchase) but was dissapointed to find them on sale for $200 and the other even more costly.

I agree with the earlier post, "First" is not the same. A pleasant fragrance but nothing can compare with Charles of the Ritz. I am hoping someone will bring it back in production. There appears to be so many fragrances at present with every celeb on the bandwagon. Call me sentimental but I for one would pay top dollars to bring this old favourite back to the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    The CotR in the burgundy canister was popular in the late 70's early 80's and it reminds me and is close to Oscar de la Ranta but is a little bit lighter in scent and more powdery. I was told before when I mentioned it smelled like Oscar they said that Oscar copied the scent from Charles of the Ritz. I wish I could still get that perfume but not willing to pay that much for it so I still use Oscar and still love it.

This thread has brought memories flooding back , in the late 70's COTR had a huge factory in my home town , they made all the Saint Laurents too . My aunt worked there and she would bring bags and bags of " seconds " around for my mum , I would play with the Opium , I loved its special plastic case and the silk cord