Code of Conduct

Default Yves Saint Laurent Or Chanel Fragrances For A 16 Year Old?

I have not been able to experience any of these fragrances but I know they are well made and quite popular. Are there any fragrances by these brands for an age range like mine? Thanks!
    There is nothing better than getting compliments on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News

Default Re: Yves Saint Laurent Or Chanel Fragrances For A 16 Year Old?

M7 by YSL
    Bleu de Chanel
    Body Kouros by YSL

Don't worry about age range, gender, etc., if you try it and like it, wear it
    at least that's my opinion

Bleu De Chanel
    Anteus
    Kouros
    Opium Pour Homme

Banned

Just give 'em a try - you're never too young to get started with good fragrance....

Chanel Egoiste (Not Platinum Egoiste)
    YSL M7
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Yeah definitely give em a shot. I like Bleu (Chanel) and Kouros (YSL).

I think you could pull off Live Jazz from YSL. It's a great fresh/green scent that can work for any age. I could also see Body Kouros working. And I wouldn't even be afraid to try Platinum Egoiste from Chanel. (I know some say it's suited to an older audience, but to me, it just comes off as a really great fresh scent. I actually like it a lot more than Allure Edition Blanche or Allure Homme Sport.) Also, I really love the cologne edition of Allure Homme Sport, (in the clear bottle). That's another one that'd work for you.

All great suggestions. YSL is a bit more affordable,especially if you buy online. Yeah, Live Jazz would be a really nice one for a younger person.

Chanel's
    1. will be on the more expensive side for mainstream.
    2. Will be well made and unlikely to offend, but a little generic. Still, never out of place and do smell as good as they cost.

YSL's
    1. Huge variety, mostly winners but you'd probably want to try before buying blind since many are not typical smells
    2. Great value, quite cheap and all pretty solidly made.

my vote? Spend the extra bit of money, buy something generic and nice like Blue de Chanel and the ladies will like you. If you go buy Live Jazz, Body Kouros, Rive Gauche, etc it just doesn't fit with a high school kid. ok, maybe body kouros could work. but my advice is pick up one nice Chanel and go enjoy your life. :-)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I have no idea why people are recommending M7 lmao.. I'm 20 and that scent seems way too old for me, but hey! To each his own... To the OP, please do NOT blind buy anything in this thread.. SAMPLE!

My recommendations for your age group if you want a YSL and Chanel fragrance would be:
    Allure Homme Sport or Platinum Egoiste (whichever you prefer.. both are great, though I prefer the latter.)
    La Nuit De L'Homme EDT (hands down the best YSL for your age group)
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Just give 'em a try - you're never too young to get started with good fragrance....
    I agree with this answer.....I would sample before I made a purchase if possible!!!
    Gary

Alright thank you so mich everybody! I will go to my local Sephora and from this thread get samples for:

Bleu de Chanel
    Egoiste
    Egoiste Platinum
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Live Jazz
    Body Kouros
    Kouros

Now what is the difference between original Egoiste and platinum, and what is the difference between Body Kouros and the original?

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News

The smell

Ah yes, a forward thinking young lad. Stick with the Chanel. Or Dior Homme.

L'Homme is perfect for a 16 year old

L'Homme by YSL
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Allure men by Chanel

whatever you like

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    L'Homme is perfect for a 16 year old
    I absolutely agree!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    L'Homme by YSL
    Body Kouros by YSL
    Allure men by Chanel
    Agree with these suggestions.

For 16 years old i recommend:

Lhomme
    La Nuit de Lhomme
    Bleu
    Allure Sport
    Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Axcell View Post
    I have no idea why people are recommending M7 lmao.. I'm 20 and that scent seems way too old for me, but hey! To each his own... To the OP, please do NOT blind buy anything in this thread.. SAMPLE!

My recommendations for your age group if you want a YSL and Chanel fragrance would be:
    Allure Homme Sport or Platinum Egoiste (whichever you prefer.. both are great, though I prefer the latter.)
    La Nuit De L'Homme EDT (hands down the best YSL for your age group)
    +1 on what this gentleman said.

I'd also suggest Allure Homme Sport, Platinum Egoiste and would add Bleu de Chanel.

From YSL I'd also recommend La Nuit de L'Homme as well as the original, L'Homme.

But if you can sample a few more offerings from these great houses, and if you like what you smell then wear what you want, don't limit yourself to what others think you should be wearing at your age. Explore and expand your fragrance collection, and have fun doing it too!
    Givenchy Play Intense, Prada Amber pour homme, Guerlain Homme Intense EDP, Narcisco Rodriguez for him, Theirry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt, Terre d'Hermes, Gucci Pour Homme II, Viktor & Rolph Antidote, Lollita Lempicka au Masculin, Comme des Garcon 2 Man, Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon, Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, YSL M7 Fresh, Caron Le Troisieme Homme, Dior Homme

L' Homme and Live Jazz would be entirely age appropriate

There are so many fragrances between these 2 brands Jake, so I am sure you will find something solid here.

Forget the guys who say DontZ Byuyz OLd fwagwances Cuz chiKs dont dIG 'EM. I think you know the answer to that inquiry anyways, as you seem like a smart guy from your posts. You will need fragrances for many situations, moods...etc.

Chanel :

Bleu ( The obvious choice). Its new, its pleasant, its well made. The price seems to be just as much as most other bottles on the counter

Allure Homme : Nice and sweet, but it gets a bit too sweet for me. Its much better for colder months.

Allure Homme Sport : More balanced, IMO, than Allure Homme. Its good for a younger guy like you. I mean, its called Sport, right ? So there !

YSL:

Body Kouros : Semi gourmand. Nice for cooler months. A licorice woodys scent. Kinda hard to digest at first, at least for me. I think it is the top notes. But the dry down in quite comforting.

Live Jazz : No, you do not have permission to try this scent. You do not have permission to see if you like it. Don't wear Live Jazz. In fact, don't even listen to jazz music. Wear the Usher fragrance. And listen to Sum 41.

La Nuit de L'homme: Pretty easy to like scent, but a bit on the cologney side. I I find it versatile/

L'homme: I like the one above better, but this one works well for hot days.

M7 : Nicer for those cooler evenings when going out. The reformulation is much better IMO as the drydown is an addictive oriental fragrance. Sweet, woodsy, a bit smoky in a way and interesting. Check it out if you can.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thanks again everyone, I will have to take a trip to a Sephora and get all of these samples! You guys have been a big help!