Code of Conduct

Default Scent of a Mommy: Fragrances for mothers like us

Thought for discussion.

My favorite right now is Niki de Saint Phalle, and I have a son who turns 1 soon. I have a feeling he'll associate that smell with me -- though I might have a new favorite in a few years when his permanent memory really kicks in. But I like the idea that he might, because it seems like such an interesting smell to me. It's unusual, but welcoming, I think. Joyful, and thoughtful. Creative. Maybe smartassed. Not generic, not commercial, not trying-to-be-sexy; not trying to prove anything. Solid but unexpected.

My own mother owned some perfumes in my youth, but only wore them for special occasions -- I think Émeraude, Youth Dew, and Charisma were on her shelf -- but day-to-day she smelled like Oil of Olay. She has very dry skin, and used to slather it on by the double-handful every morning. I think they've changed the scent since then -- not that I use it myself. These days I think she uses a Clinique cream, but I don't associate that Clinique scent with her in particular.

I didn't expect to become a mother at my age (my son was a big surprise). Thinking about myself *as* a mother is interesting and new to me. I get to make it up as I go! I get to be whatever kind of mommy I think is best. Cool!

What does a mother smell like to you? What should a mother smell like? What does the kind of mother you'd want to be (if you wanted to be a mother) smell like? What notes smell caring and nurturing to you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent of a Mommy: Fragrances for mothers like us

Quote Originally Posted by EugeniaLOL View Post
    Thought for discussion.

uses a Clinique cream, but I don't associate that Clinique scent with her in particular.

What does a mother smell like to you? What should a mother smell like? What does the kind of mother you'd want to be (if you wanted to be a mother) smell like? What notes smell caring and nurturing to you?
    For me, so easy it's ridiculous...Chanel No.5. That's a perfect mom to me, and one who has a life of her own.
    I think it should be one that comes in the sleek black Chanel purse spray, as well.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Very good point. I never paid attention to perfumes, but when I started doing so and smelled Aromatics Elixir, I immediately thought to my mom.. (Strangely, Hindukush by La via del profumo made me think about my grandmother, but don't know why).

There's also the issue that when they become teenagers, kids do the opposite of what parents do. Wearing the same perfume as mom will be anathema. I guess to instill good preferences, when a daughter starts high school, one can then turn to sharp stuff like Light Blue or syrups like the ocean of current fruity floral to insure that the daughter will seek the masterpieces of yesterday. With sons, though, this is less of an issue, because sons will not care at all about perfume (but, as in my case, the memory will be there, and will reappear).

cacio

A mother smells just like any other woman.

Having a child or not having a child does not confer a special type of taste on a woman.

If you want associations, it would have to be what one's particular mother chose to wear in one's childhood. Ditto for a men's fragrance that reminds one of one's father--it would be a fatherly smell.

P.S. Psychologists recommend new mothers/parents to NOT wear scent in the first few months of an infant's life as scent is a very bonding experience. BTW, newborn babies, puppies and kittens are blessed with a natural "sweet smell" themselves. Too bad they grow out of it!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks, Primrose -- I can't tell if you can tell that "a mother smells just like any other woman" is kind of part of my point. Except that no woman smells just like any other woman. And that what a woman chooses to smell like is part of becoming who she wants to be. I don't think that mothers SHOULD smell different; I'm just curious what others here think of, smell-wise, when they think of themselves, or of people like themselves, as mothers -- as opposed to what our own mothers smelled like; a fragrance as the representation of one's own idea of one's own motherliness. Just a conversation piece, if you will.

you know -- like how we might talk about a particular scent making you feel happy, or confident, or sexy, or approachable, etc.

My own son, at 11.5 months, shows no signs of growing out of his own natural sweet smell yet, and it's absolutely addictive! (At some point in my pregnancy, I read that that's literally true -- parents have an addiction-like response to their babies' scent, complete with endorphin response when exposed and withdrawal-like symptoms if deprived. I can't find a link to that now.) Both his father and I can't stop huffing the top of his head. We help preserve that precious scent by using exclusively unscented products on everything that touches him, especially laundry and bath soap. We've noticed that other babies near his age smell similar, but different-enough that we could easily tell them apart blindfolded.

I myself use very small doses of perfumes in part so that my own natural scent won't be obliterated -- far less than I suspect most folks here would want to use. My standard is one or two dots from the tip of a sample vial dauber on one wrist, then rubbed against the other. For "signature" frags, I dilute 1:3 with perfumer's alcohol to use in an Aura Cacia aromatherapy atomizer with a controllable bulb.

When I was pregnant and when my sons were newborn, I did not wear scent...I couldn't stand it, actually. I was so peeved when my MIL came to visit, reeking of Coco, when my youngest was just a week old. She would snuggle him under her chin and give him back to me...his cute little newborn head smelled like over-applied Chanel. Blech! I cannot wear Coco or smell it to this day because of that experience. Pity, too, since I used to like it.

But around the 6-9 month old mark I started wearing fragrance again. And I have wondered if my sons will have any specific scent memory of me as they get older. I wear so many different things, that they may not. But right now I am really loving and craving Profumi de Forte Marconi 3

Per LuckyScent:
    Marconi 3 Notes
    Coriander, Anise, Cinnamon, Coconut, Geranium, Iris, Heliotrope, Vanilla bean, Indonesian patchouli, Oak moss

"The holidays of my youth were spent here amongst the scents of my family. My mother’s powders, high beds with crisp sheets, large wooden wardrobes that smelled fresh and clean..."

Marconi 3 smells just like the perfumers description of it. When I smell it I can see his mother, dressed up ready to go out for the evening, tucking her children into bed, while a balmy seaside breeze wafts through an open widow. It is a comfort scent, relaxing yet sophisticated. And it is reminiscent of the smell of my babies head--minus the entirely inappropriate and obnoxious Coco note.! LOL

Great question! Thanks for asking.

Chaplain -- ha! I'd have been irked too. That reminds me of when we had an indoor/outdoor cat, an orange boy sweetie with wanderlust, that we came to learn had "other families" all up and down the block. We could eventually tell who he'd been hanging out with by what he smelled like: the college girls across the street made him smell of a particular melonmuskvanilla drugstore bodyspray type thing, for instance. My husband used to think this cat smelled naturally like honey -- until we met our next-door neighbor and found out she was a weekend beekeeper who made and sold beeswax craft candles. Tuned out the cat was spending most of his time away from us playing with her little boy.

Not a particular scent, but my daughters sure do like when I take down the perfume box and let them pick something for themselves, and they are interested in scents. I can't think of one in particular I'd like them to associate with me, and am glad they are pretty open-minded about smell.

I agree no scent while baby is nursing-and-no-other-food age, or at least not the sort of scents I like now, they are too loud and I think might be confusing to the baby's mind, it does seem better for them to have the human scent around them and seems like it might be important to their development.

Basenotes Institution

When my son was a baby and for about 2 years , I really didn't wear scent at all. I had no time to think about at all really.
    I did consistently use Clarins Body Shaping Cream and Body Firming Cream. The smell of Body Shaping Cream in particular ( a lot of Basenoters know I love it! I keep going on about it! ) reminds me of mommy - baby moments . I know my son loves the smell too. He says it smells like Mommy. It's mostly all he smelt when he was really little.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

My daughter associates Robert Piguet's VISA with me. She says it "smells like Mommy". She has also said that when I had to work late, she used to smell my pillow to fall asleep.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme