Code of Conduct

Default What do you do with mystery decants, minis, samples?

I'm going through all my fragrances cataloguing them. (I keep them in little wooden boxes... 8 down, 2 to go, phew!)

I've discovered 6 decants which have lost their labels or had their labels destroyed. I also have some minis with no labels, although I could probably track those down with photos, and an unlabeled sample from Ayala Moriel, although I could probably mail it to her for identification if I decided I needed to purchase it. I've also considered bringing the decants to a meet-up to see if anyone can identify them.

A couple of the mystery decants I've worn, but I find that without names, I can never remember which ones is which, and I don't think to wear them. Kind of like when the MDCIs were FK1 / FK2 / FK3, I had to sniff them to remember which ones was which. Maybe I'll make up names for them to try to keep them straight in my mind.

What about you... do you have any mystery fragrances? Would you be afraid you would like something and not be able to find it again? Or would you like being able to wear a perfume because you like it without having the baggage of associations, and just enjoy it until it is gone?

Default Re: What do you do with mystery decants, minis, samples?

I've got some mystery minis and mystery bottles in my collection too.I will wear them on occasion -maybe someday I'll figure out what they are.

I have kept the two unlabeled samples I have, one of which I am convinced is a Hugo Boss scent. Thankfully, I don't like either of them.

The idea of striking sample gold but not knowing what it is so I could at least consider purchasing it would be infuriating in extreme, I should imagine. If it was that good, I would probably start a thread on here asking for some help identifying it and order samples to see if any of those suggestions could give my mystery juice a name.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have about a dozen samples and a few decants that have lost their name tags. I will wear one occasionally just to try to identify it. No luck so far, but all are damn good!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hell most of mine have no lables on them! LOL
    Now I am quite good at sniffing them and recognising what they are. Oh I feel so clever when I do it too.

Its a, Oh what is this? Sniff, sniff, think(can take a good ten minutes sometimes), then the little light bulb over my head lights up and BINGO!!!! It happened to me on Friday night, found a decant at the bottom my jewellery box which I had no idea what it was???? I knew I had a No22 parfum decant which was there, but then this mystery 4 mls of something. Had a sniff and the bulb lite up, Diorissimo vintage parfum.

I really should put my own lable on but never do.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

lt would drive me nuts not having everything labelled, but then l am very organised, some might say borderline OCD .

lf it was something l sort-of liked, l would wear it until it's gone. But if l really loved it... well that doesn't bear thinking about.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lt would drive me nuts not having everything labelled, but then l am very organised, some might say borderline OCD .
    Teardrop, I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol.

So far this hasn't happened to me. If a sample doesn't have the name written on it I make my own label for it when I take it off the card.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

I have two or three mystery samples/decants. I just like to keep them as mysteries. A small dash of chaos amidst the order is a good thing. Not that I have great order here, but if I did, rather, hypothetically speaking, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    So far this hasn't happened to me. If a sample doesn't have the name written on it I make my own label for it when I take it off the card.
    These were handmade labels where the decants were stored in a ziploc bag and the fumes made the ink run until the names were completely gone. I had packaged everything up tightly for moving.

I have some other samples and decants where the names are getting hard to read. I really need to replace them soon, but I'm not sure what the best way to label them is. Maybe labels made on a laser printer?

Blog Entries

Covering the labels with sellotape seems to protect them.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Teardrop, I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol.

I'm in the OCD group...and I really don't like teensy tiny 1ml vials...I usually leave them in the laundry room of my building so someone else can enjoy them. I avoid them in general because they fall on the floor etc and make me crazy. I do like mini's though because the whole bottle concept is there...usually easy to identify.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I received a sample without name. This get me nuts, since im paranoid with organization of my collections!

I am with obsessive-compuslive people too. Like donna225, I would sniff the nameless vial until the bulb in my head goes on, or I would interrogate the original sender whose decants leaked, to no end. In general, if it is in pencil or a printed label, the ink does not run and also the tape -- as previously siggested -- would help very much. Right now I have ZERO nameless vials here.

The Brother labelmakers are great for replacing missing or inadequate labels.

Pencil is a good idea. I'll likely end up printing, but for a quick fix pencil would be handy.

It doesn't seem likely I can puzzle the scents out as I've probably only smelled them once, and quite a few years ago. I know who 4 of the decants are from at least, an basenoter I haven't seen around for some time. I've considered tracking her down and asking for a list of her wardrobe to try to figure it out.
    Last edited by kasae; 5th June 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    The Brother labelmakers are great for replacing missing or inadequate labels.
    Do you mean the ones that print black on shiny white? I have some that came made with that which have held up reasonably well but are showing some bleeding after 7 years or so. I think keeping them sealed in ziploc bags was the problem.

Yes, the Brother label-maker is indispensable; I really rely on mine!
    Last edited by queen cupcake; 5th June 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: should have quoted!

I know somebody who sells decants and all of them come out with the label semi-erased. I think the problem is that this person fixes the label on the vial and then fills in the vial with perfume. Some perfume must get sprayed on the label.

I like the idea of putting tape on top of the label for protection. I have a few without name and it drives me crazy. I think most of them I got from Nordstrom or Sephora, so at least I can narrow down the choices a bit.
    Evenstar

I have a few but usually remember which.