Code of Conduct

Default Do unsuccessful frags normally have lots of flankers?

I would have thought the answer to this question is no - you normally get lots of flankers for successful frags, as a way of capitalizing on their success, whereas unsuccessful ones are just quietly shelved. But I was struck today by how many flankers there are for Givenchy's Insense, which from what I've heard bombed. The main one seems to be Insense Ultramarine, with the others actually being flankers of that fragrance (flankers of a flanker, strangely enough). Could it be that it costs less to develop, market and distribute a flanker rather than an original fragrance, which might explain this? Or possibly were Insense and Insense Ultramarine released at the same time, and Insense bombed whereas Insense Ultramarine took off?

EDIT: I just discovered - Ultramarine was released the year after the original Insense, at least according to the BN directory.
    Last edited by WillC; 3rd June 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Default Re: Do unsuccessful frags normally have lots of flankers?

I think successful fragrances still have more flankers than unsuccessful ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think successful fragrances still have more flankers than unsuccessful ones.
    I'm sure you're right. But are there any other examples, apart from Insense, of unsuccessful frags with multiple flankers?
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

It's hard to say. I'd imagine it is the successful frags that have lots of flankers. I'm sure the folks in the marketing dept. don't always feel like dumping millions into launching a new frag when they haven't even't made their money back to cover advertising from the original.

But who knows, I'd say the fragrance industry makes as little sense as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    But who knows, I'd say the fragrance industry makes as little sense as possible.
    LMAO

That does seem to be a generally workable strategy for desirability. I'll just leave it at that, without mentioning any particular other or same gender.

I'm not opposed to the idea of flankers, but, you know, they kind of feel tacky....

I must be thinking of Thierry Mugler.

The most perplexing thing to me in the annals of flankerdom is the Chanel Egoiste/Platinum Egoiste story.
    I'd like to know what went on behind-the-scenes. I see zero parallels between the two fragrances. I wonder what caused Egoiste to fail and Platinum Egoiste to come out on top? --- This is what I have observed in generic department store counters and Sephora, Ulta, etc. Egoiste had a fancy ad campaign and IMO is a masterpiece--- but kind of remains just slightly cult to fragrance connoisseurs and Chanel maniacs.

I wish Polge would write a memoir about his time at Chanel and in the fragrance industry in general.
    Last edited by calero; 4th June 2011 at 07:47 AM.

What about Xeryus / Xeryus Rouge? In italy it was a total flop!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Good question; There are a lot of economically reasons to launch a flanker then risk an entirely new scent with a new budget for the market.

Marketing costs for one!

You do not have to reinvent an entire story, you only reinvent part of it.

Your trading off the previous scent with instant creditability, creation, packaging and distribution, pricing and shelf space.

Both market acceptance, distribution, shelf space is a lesser barrier too creating and bringing a new scent to market.

Perfume houses take risks every time they launch a new scent. Bit like gambling. Perfume houses have learnt from previous mistakes and that by creating flankers they are in some way trying to hedge their market risks.

We all love stories of how "masterpieces" nearly did not come about. Yes, Polge, JP Guerlain, have a lot of fancinating stories to disclose and we can only hope that one day their memoirs will be published.

Just discovered the existence of Ultramarine via someone's avatar. I really like Insense, is Ultramarine any good/simliar? Or Ice Cube? Or Blue Laser!? Liking some of these names.