Code of Conduct

Thread: oudh recipes

Question oudh recipes

Anyone know of perfume recipes with oudh?

Default Re: oudh recipes

I doubt if anyone here is courageous enough

although I think a simple patchouli, saffron, rose and aoud would be great in almost any percentages.

The problem is that if you have high quality Oud chips for burning its difficult to make them better and also they're too expensive to truly experiment with. That's not to say that nobody has ever mixed anything else with Oud.

The Middle East is filled with Oud incense mixtures but this is usually in the form of powders or glued together powders. This isn't really done to create something better than the natural chips but rather to make some kind of use of leftovers and ugly pieces which are too expensive to just throw away. Oud and rose or jasmine would be one type of mixture but its not in my taste. Other experiments would be sandalwood or different resins but you'll find the Oud disappears easily. If you are or are feeling very rich, you could try adding the much more potent Oud oil to the chips but I'd like to be invited to that party.. lol..

Indian incense uses Oud and they're not scared of mixing other ingredients into it resulting in what is usually extremely overpowering sweet notes which makes me wonder where the Oud is.

You could also research Japanese incense that uses Oud as they have a completely different take. Some of these are quite bitter and beautiful as far as incense is concerned but for me, if I've paid for Oud, I want to smell Oud, and most mixture ingredients overpower that smell.

If you have the non-shiny variety chips that haven't been adulterated with arabic gum or some mysterious substance then you find that they burn rather quickly and the enjoyable moment can be disappointingly quick. I usually put such chips under the tap to make them wet and then pat them dry. When I put these on the coal, the smell I'm looking for lasts much longer.

I also prefer the scent of pure oudh. But for some people, those that make perfume, the smell of oudh would make her recipe for perfume to be perfect.
    I found one here, Take a look:

"The recipe was given to me from Christopher McMahon of whitelotusaromatics.com, who is always generous
    with his time & efforts with sincere seekers.
    Try mixing these oils in the quantity shown:

100 drops santalum album (use whatever sandal you have and like best);

10 drops pure oudh oil (a nice Hindi seems to float my boat best in this particular blend);

1 drop ambrette seed absolute (plant musk).

Use a pipette if you have one. Be concise when measuring the ambrette absolute.
    Let it sit. Check it in a week or two (on your skin). If you want it sweeter add another drop of ambrette
    but really watch--as Christopher said to me-the ambrette will make the blend sweeter the longer it sits.
    Mine is 3 years old and it is beyond words it's so beautiful. "

bandi thank you, that sounds amazing...

That sounds nice. Sandalwood and Oud are my favourites.

Hello everyone, this is my first post/question here: A co-worker of mine, went home to Morocco and brought me back about 8oz of pure agarwood. Her Uncle traveled some ways from Casablanca to get it. There is some sediment in the bottom of the makeshift bottle they used, and I'm afraid to waste a single precious drop. It has a delicious woody, nutty tiny bit smokey scent, but a hint of sweetness too. Should I strain out the sediment? I want to make a natural fragrance with it with orange blossom, mandarin, and other citrusy oils. I usually use perfumer's alcohol or 150 proof Everclear. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Isis in Miami
    "nitestars"

8 OZ OF PURE AGARWOOD??????!!! Your co-worker must be wealthy beyond words! When 3 mls goes for $200-400 for good-quality oud, 8 oz would be well over $10,000. I'm sure you may think it smells great, but I really am skeptical that what your friend brought you was real or pure oud! Anyway, I'm happy for you if its true!

Lol, I can see why you think this. Her uncle went to the place where they harvest the trees, and they hand press the nuts, the old fashioned way. Her family uses it for cooking, to treat their hair, in creams, etc. Its slightly heavier in consistency than olive oil, deep golden color and the fragrance is woody, nutty, sweet. Does this sound like what you were thinking? Trust me, these relatives of hers are not wealthy people.

hand pressing? the nuts?
    It's not agarwood oil. It's probably argan oil.

Perhaps you're right, but they call it "oudh"..maybe interchanging the names because oud means wood in arabic. When my friend goes back to visit with her family, I'll ask again for the oudh described here, not to confuse the 2. I must say though that the oil she brought me is very nice. Now that I think about it some more, maybe this , what I have , is also the "moroccon oil" advertised now in so many cosmetic products. Wonder if I can use this as a carrier oil then? The aroma is so nice.
    Thanks again and sorry if I gave Nymphaea a startle!

I can honestly say that I did not realize that agarwood trees (Aquilaria) produced nuts that could be pressed for a fixed oil/ oleoresin. So this cooking oil has a scent related somewhat to the resinous wood-chip distillation scent (oud)?

Generally perfumes made with fixed oils will go rancid after several months, but if you are burning it as a home fragrance (without alcohol of course), perhaps you could just make a small batch as needed. I would strain it through a filter after blending and if you are using it for perfumery, I would strain it after diluting with perfumers alcohol and maturation.

As far as scent, it may have a similar slant to oudh, and yes, I am using it in perfumery. When I was
    in Quito, Ecuador, I bought Palo Santo wood that I've been tincturing for the past several months. I'm happy with the results so far, the alcohol totally absorbed the aroma of the wood which is a frankincense like scent. I just started experimenting with it, will keep you posted on those results. And, btw the Palo Santo tree is also protected , you can google it, so interesting.
    So now I know I've got Argan oil, not to be confused with Argawood..but will follow your advise, strain after dilution in alcohol.
    Thanks!

Oudh oil and rose absolute mix would be interesting.

I want to start a small oud & Perfume shop in mumbai, i dont have any experience, but still i have good passion for perfumes. can any one suggest me how to plan for it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by sushant View Post
    I want to start a small oud & Perfume shop in mumbai, i dont have any experience, but still i have good passion for perfumes. can any one suggest me how to plan for it.
    Welcome to you Sushant! you might want to re-post this in the DIY Forum where very knowledgeable perfumers might be better able to address your question. Good luck!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Smile Re: oudh recipes

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you Sushant! you might want to re-post this in the DIY Forum where very knowledgeable perfumers might be better able to address your question. Good luck!
    Good Day Hednic,
    Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    hand pressing? the nuts?
    It's not agarwood oil. It's probably argan oil.
    This tears me up now as much as it did all those years ago

Dear Sushant,
    Have you started the shop you wanted. Since I'm working with a very famous perfumes company in Dubai and I have good experience that can help you. If you're interested please let me know.

Thanks,
    AU

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I doubt if anyone here is courageous enough

although I think a simple patchouli, saffron, rose and aoud would be great in almost any percentages.
    How about sandalwood,rose and oud with a dash of patchouli ?

Qayyum, that could work well.

I recipe that I tried was the following and I am very happy 7 years later:

3ml Laos Oudh oil (very funky/cheesy)
    3ml Sandalwood Mysore
    0.5 ml Indian Rose Otto
    1 drop of 100% Patchouli essential oil

- - - Updated - - -

In retrospect I would have cut down the sandalwood however since I am not a huge fan of oudh/sandalwood blend. I don't like to smell the sandalwood, however with powerhouse competitors like Oudh, rose and patchouli, the sandalwood does not have much of chance anyway.