Code of Conduct

Default Christopher Sheldrake Interview for GQ Russia

The article is here - http://www.gq.ru/taste/parfum/2697/

It's for a Russian GQ's perfume blog, thus being quite short, but I've actually found it very informative. A brief summary:

When asked about working with Jacques Polge: "Jacques Polge is my boss, so he always has the last word." He admits that they argue quite a lot when they don't agree with each other (seems like that happens every now and then as well), especially when trying to prove their point of view. He also says that both being anosmic to different things is helpful for obvious reasons. Then mentions that if he still doesn't agree with Jacques, then he makes his own version (i.e. his lab technicians do.)

When asked about the obscure(?) Smell of Paradise he's done for Cartier during his time at Quest, he mentions that he has created Le Male with Francis Kurkdjian, and when the interviewer exclaims "But you were never mentioned along with him!", only says that he has helped Francis as the latter was still in the beginning of his career and Chantal Roos (project director) didn't want much publicity around it at the time.

And of course last but not least is that he pinpoints the release date for Jersey as the 19th of August. (Of course no mention which country that would be in, just assuming it's France and maybe Europe.)

Can't wait for Jersey () and can't help but admire these two.

Default Re: Christopher Sheldrake Interview for GQ Russia

Thanks for taking the time to give us a précis - interesting stuff!

Always interesting to hear about the perfumers. Thanks. And I like that avatar.

Whats Jersey?
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Whats Jersey?
    A new perfume by Chanel slated to be launched this year in the Les Exclusifs line. More about it and No. 19 Poudre here.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Ohh I see.

Thanks.
    for swap/sale:

So the majority of the contribution to Le Male (Kurkdjians greatest commercial success and the perfume which launched his career) is by Sheldrake? Does Michael Edwards know about this?

I find it groundbreaking that an uncredited perfumer comes out and states that he contributed to one the greatest success stories in the perfume industry. I wonder what Kurkdjian thinks about this...
    -

To be honest, I'm not at all surprised (but am very pleased that Sheldrake is responsible for nudging me into the world of perfumery, let alone niche with Serge Lutens) as it's the only Kurkdjian creation that really grabbed me.

Also, I've always believed that many artistic directors have a reasonable amount of influence over the end result of a perfume (let alone crediting the perfumer(s)). Hence why I tend not to place too much importance on the perfumer of any fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    To be honest, I'm not at all surprised (but am very pleased that Sheldrake is responsible for nudging me into the world of perfumery, let alone niche with Serge Lutens) as it's the only Kurkdjian creation that really grabbed me.

Also, I've always believed that many artistic directors have a reasonable amount of influence over the end result of a perfume (let alone crediting the perfumer(s)). Hence why I tend not to place too much importance on the perfumer of any fragrance.
    I am equally surprised that this fact is not being discussed much at Basenotes, especially considering that Le Male is one of the popular fragrances here. Is it because this thread is in the lesser read forum?

Hello...anybody here??
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    So the majority of the contribution to Le Male (Kurkdjians greatest commercial success and the perfume which launched his career) is by Sheldrake? Does Michael Edwards know about this?

I find it groundbreaking that an uncredited perfumer comes out and states that he contributed to one the greatest success stories in the perfume industry. I wonder what Kurkdjian thinks about this...
    Can you read the original article? Does it really say that the majority of the contribution was by Sheldrake, or did it simply say he helped? Help could be any number of things, honestly - even just a conceptual suggestion.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can you read the original article? Does it really say that the majority of the contribution was by Sheldrake, or did it simply say he helped? Help could be any number of things, honestly - even just a conceptual suggestion.
    I think it went far beyond just a 5-min conceptual suggestion - joint work is the key here, unless something is lost in translation.

This is the Google translation of the related section:

Le Male? But all the sources mention only about Kyurkdzhiyana!
    Francis is able to communicate with journalists is much better than me (laughs) Yeah, it was our joint project, when we worked in Quest Intl. At that time he was a young novice perfumer. Guided this project the legendary Chantal Roos (known development of flavors Yves Saint-Laurent, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake, Stella McCartney), and she did not want to involve him in the advertisers and marketers - so we had a great time, creating a fragrance from scratch! Great work, and great flavor!
    -

Fair enough - I still don't think that makes it fair to say he did the majority. Would really love for a future interview with either him or Kurkdjian to clear that up though. It is a pretty huge bomb to drop, especially this late in the game.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I wished I could be a fly on the well and witness the discussions between Polge and Sheldrake.

I am sure Sheldrake has colaborated in many more perfumes we don't know about. As a senior perfumer to FK, he must have been a great influence.
    Evenstar

I just found this:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/a-no...608-1fsyc.html

hedonist posted it over in Off Topic, guess he didn't see this thread. Mentions Le Male as well.