Code of Conduct

Thread: JPG Le Male

Default JPG Le Male

I ordered Le male a few weeks ago, and after reading all of the reviews here on BN I was afraid to wear this fragrance because of the hate it gets. From the bad rap it gets from a lot of the people it would assumed that one spray of this would choke out everyone within a 3km radius, make children cry in terror, whilst everyones teeth would shatter from the thoughts of super sweetness created by the scent entering their nostrils

But obviously none of this happened. When it arrived I was expecting to hate it, but when I gave it a go, I find it to be extremely pleasant powdery vanilla scent. And not as sweet, strong, or evil for that matter, as many people on BN seem to claim.

I'm thankful I gave it a go, as it has already grown on me in the few wearings I've given it. I have a feeling this may become my signature scent.

And as far as popularity goes, I've never smelt it on anyone. Or any other popular fragrance for that matter. Men here don't seem to wear cologne at all. I could enter a crowded mall and shop for hours and count on one hand how many colognes I've smelt on others.

Pollux

Default Re: JPG Le Male

It is a good frag provided you know how to use it. It gets all the bad press due to to the way many use it (they douse in it), just don't and you will find it a pretty good scent.

Despite its sometimes fluctuating and at the same time, often overrated, popularity, I still like this scents, not out of the slightest intention to smell popular, but simply because I enjoy several disparate fragrance notes it contains, like the spicy-gourmet ones

Banned

Yeah, I got a sample not long ago and was surprised by how much I liked it, given the hate it receives. And honestly, I may have smelled it here or there in the last 10 years, but I rarely smell it on anyone.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I think it's a really good fragrance despite the negativity it receives.

not many men in canada wear fragrances. Its pretty rare actually to smell something on another dude. I dont smell Le Male very often; every now and then at the bar, thats about it

I really love Le Male as well. Also, i really don't find it as overpowering & cloying as most people say. (and I have dry skin, so I even spray on my clothes as well & it still doesn't bother me). And I don't find it "sickly sweet" as a lot of others do either. To me, it just smells really clean and fresh (like coming out of a barbershop with talc on). I get much more of the powder and mint than just vanilla. I personally wouldn't like it if it was that "syrupy" type of vanilla, but to me the powder, along with mint and cumin, keep Le Male's vanilla dry. (i also tried Perry Ellis 360 White & hated it because it was way less powdery & minty than Le Male).

Anyway, I agree, it's great, and definitely in my top 3.

Don't let the popularity issue stop you from wearing it, you won't smell it on others as often as is suggested. Le Male is a great smelling scent, just spray once to the chest once to the neck and it won't become overpowering. Women really like it.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

It's a good scent. Some of us just smell it too much.

If you like it, wear it.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    It is a good frag provided you know how to use it.
    That's it! Enjoy it! I would not want to miss it in my collection, although I wear it maybe only once or twice a year (at home). It is a very good and, in particular, smart fragrance.

I enjoyed ((not loved) it for quite some time until I did a side-by-side comparison between YSL Body Kouros JPG Le Male and it made me realize how disgustingly synthetic and linear it is.

I don't like it, too synthetic smelling and it makes me nauseous, but it's a big seller and a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Not a lot of people wear cologne where I live either; the only ones I've identified on others are Le Male, D&G Pour Homme, and the generic sporty / aquatic stuff that smells like cucumbers and air conditioning.

Overworn and can get tad boring sometimes, but really a good scent in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    I enjoyed ((not loved) it for quite some time until I did a side-by-side comparison between YSL Body Kouros JPG Le Male and it made me realize how disgustingly synthetic and linear it is.
    I really like it very much, and wear it occasionally (I much prefer Fleur du Male myself), but when I wear it, I do enjoy it a lot. The sweetness is not too much, IMHO. Very nice to the nose, even yummy, although not my favorite. And much better than hundreds of modern fragrances out there.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with linear development, or lack of development at all. This one develops a bit, but yes, it's linear, but a good fragrance nonetheless-again, just in my estimation. Many fragrances-such as this one-were meant to be rather linear; I doubt it was an accident on Mr. Kurdjian's part for Le Male; an oversight, ignorance on how to make a classic, good fragrance that develops nicely on the skin. Not really. On many reviews, people really mean to say "the fragrance bored me" (which is ok, linear or not) and use the "linear" argument as proof of why they got bored with it. However, linear is not necessarily bad, because there's bad linear, and genius linear. Le Male, IMHO, is not "bad" linear. Though it might really bore and tire your particular nose, because we are all different. But that doesn't mean that its "linearity" is wrong per se-just not what you were looking for.

IMHO, if one would, based on synthetics, hate fragrances, you might as well give up the hobby/art. I mean no offense, but it's very detrimental to the art of perfumery to depend solely on that which is wholly natural, because most fragrances have even a few synthetics (quality synthetics at times, but synthetics nonetheless.) A few synthetics smell "natural" so we take them for granted. I am sure you know of this, but I say it out of good will, actually, not wanting to argue. Many synthetic fragrances are masterpieces-whether we like it or not.

(I myself prefer lots of naturals in my fragrances, but it's not realistic-nor good for my wallet-for me to expect this all the time. It speaks a ton for the perfumers when they are able to compose masterpieces entirely with synthetics-and often, not of the best quality!)

You might say it's synthetic-sweet. Ok. Disgustingly sweet. Perhaps to you, ok. But the statement seems to imply, superficially, that synthetics=bad. BTW, I LOVE Body Kouros MORE than Le Male. But I just prefer the smell on BK; I have no qualms about synthetics on Le Male (which abound on BK as well...), because those synthetics do smell great. Le Male just works, and smells really good... at least to me it does, despite the synthetics. Another "synthetic" masterpiece is Versace's The Dreamer. HM is another one that screams "synthetics!", even louder than Le Male! But I love it too! Basically, most designers scents use tons of synthetics, as you already know. So "disgustingly synthetic", which is subjective, really applies to most fragrances, even many niche ones. Granted, perhaps what you meant to say is "it smelled bad/too sweet to me" or "it smelled cheap/artificial to me"-that's the better wording, I would think, and I would agree it doesn't smell "expensive" to my nose either, but it also doesn't smell uber cheap like many other scents out there.

No, it was not my intention to put you down in any way, but your statement did sound a bit inaccurate, and insulting to those who love beautiful (totally subjective, of course) smelling synthetics on their fragrances. And especially contradicting, because anybody can say "I hate the disgusting synthetics on BK" as well as in LM. Basically, just dislike the smell, say it's "too sweet" that's perfectly valid. But the synthetics accusation is baseless, because many of your own favorite fragrances probably have those "disgusting" synthetics as well, perhaps even sharing a few molecules with Le Male itself.

One of my altime favorites. While I don't wear it as often as I use to, I still find myself drifting to the bottle. Unlike some, it is the strength that I'm attracted to, but having said that so many other strong scents just turn me off.

Never be detered by what others say, go with what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    Never be detered by what others say, go with what you like.
    I wish I could be as succinct as you! Truer words hath ne'er been typed.

Its a good fragrance, use a fragrance for you, never for others!

Le Mâle was my official initiation into the world of fragrances and it was an extremely good choice, if I say so myself. Yes, it did become far too ubiquitous and turned into an olfactory taboo for those allegedly with ‘taste’ but I still have fond memories of wearing it, from 1997 onwards.

Even though I can no longer wear it (my olfactory monogamy lasted almost ten years!), I think I may start looking for a vintage bottle very soon, to revisit solely for nostalgic purposes…

Quote Originally Posted by Ksap View Post
    I ordered Le male a few weeks ago, and after reading all of the reviews here on BN I was afraid to wear this fragrance because of the hate it gets. From the bad rap it gets from a lot of the people it would assumed that one spray of this would choke out everyone within a 3km radius, make children cry in terror, whilst everyones teeth would shatter from the thoughts of super sweetness created by the scent entering their nostrils

But obviously none of this happened. When it arrived I was expecting to hate it, but when I gave it a go, I find it to be extremely pleasant powdery vanilla scent. And not as sweet, strong, or evil for that matter, as many people on BN seem to claim.

I'm thankful I gave it a go, as it has already grown on me in the few wearings I've given it. I have a feeling this may become my signature scent.

And as far as popularity goes, I've never smelt it on anyone. Or any other popular fragrance for that matter. Men here don't seem to wear cologne at all. I could enter a crowded mall and shop for hours and count on one hand how many colognes I've smelt on others.
    Good for you!

Blog Entries

It is not as bad as some make it out to be. The reason why I am not a fan is because it is extremely popular in NYC. I smell it on the bus, on the train, walking to and from work, at work and every time I leave my house to go out! For whatever reason it seems as if the wearers are not aware of how strong it really is. The cologne is not to my liking but if you are a fan of synthetic vanilla you will like this one, maybe even love it. If I can get on my soap box for a minute? If there is anybody who looks at this thread and reads my post and like Le Male please do us all a favor DO NOT DOUSE YOURSELF IN THIS! TWO OR THREE SPRAYS TOPS! DO NOT SPRAY YOURSELF UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MORE THAN THREE TIMES!!!!
    THANKS!
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

fountain

i love it regardless of its being 'synthetic', 'overly sweet', 'feminine' or the like. imho, it's a modern classic.

Welcome to Basenotes Ksap

I honestly think that most of the hate for Le Male is down to its popularity. It can be aggravating to smell your signature scent on half the people you pass on the street. However, you seem to be free of this problem, so my advice is go forth, wear it, and prosper!

Incidentally, Le Male is one of my all time favourite fragrances, I love wearing it myself, and on the right man, I find it completely irresistible.
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."
    Currently wearing: Sì by Giorgio Armani

this is one of the only fragrances i cant live without. i have been wearing it since 2000 and will continue to wear it. its unique in its compostion. I adore it thourougly !

I do like the notes, however it is way to synthetic, might even cause cancer, IF one day Jean Paul Gautier decides to release it, some special / exclusive edition of it with real or at least with not that much low quality raw materials, I will definitely purchase it a bottle, regardless of the price. However the current formulation with cheap raw materials sucks Big time! By the way I have had 4 bottles already less 10 years.

To me it's a "party frag," best sprayed on your back rather than your chest !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    To me it's a "party frag," best sprayed on your back rather than your chest !
    Bigsly, forgive me for prying but what kinds of parties require you to smell good from behind?