Code of Conduct

Default Rediscovering Givenchy Xeryus, a very beautiful smell. A few questions...

I have plenty of fragrances I haven't used in a while. I am a fan of Xeryus Rouge, and bought a LONG time ago on Perfumania after smelling it from a tester coming from the old, beautiful bottle (the bottle I have and bought that day, though, is the generic one.)

I have smelled tons of stuff since, but I did remember liking the scent very much, but not loving it as much as many of my other sweeter fragrances. Smelling it today, I realize while I bought it in the first place. It's really beautiful, and gotta say that it's very different from anything in my collection right now. None of my classics or modern fragrances smell REALLY similar to it. I remember Mr. Turin stating that it was an hybrid of sorts, and just read a few reviews stating similar opinions. It seems though, that I have met a new, old friend.

-Are the reformulations (if any, it seems some people think it's been CLEARLY reformulated while others don't think so at all) substantial enough that it's worth to explore an original Xeryus bottle?

-Have anybody sniffed the latest "Les Mythiques" bottle version, and if so, is it really different? A couple people on Fragrantica think it's a different version, supposedly less dense but more wearable, but I have no trouble with my current, boring bottle version.

-In your estimation, which other perfumes from the 80's, 90's, and even moderns, niche or otherwise, have a similar scent to Xeryus overall?

I am thinking of wearing this beauty tonight; it has just inspired me! It will never be my favorite, just because I have so many others I just adore (and I tend to prefer sweet/spicy-or both-orientals), but it seems to be much better than what I ever gave it credit for. Remember, my version is the boring bottle installment, if that helps any. It has a magnificent powdery quality to it that talks to me and charms me, and IMHO, doesn't smell that cheap.

Addendum: This stuff is really excellent. The more I smell it, the more intoxicating it is. I can't keep away from smelling it on my skin. It's so complex, but it just so appeals to me! Highly recommended to try, even if you never buy it. I shall be a very nice smelling "god" tonight.
    Last edited by starace; 7th June 2011 at 12:06 AM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rediscovering Givenchy Xeryus, a very beautiful smell. A few questions...

Xeryus is a Top Shelf frag. Revisit DustB's spot-on review of Xeryus and other Givenchy frags:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/207...t=xeryus+rouge
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

Default Re: Rediscovering Givenchy Xeryus, a very beautiful smell. A few questions...

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Xeryus is a Top Shelf frag. Revisit DustB's spot-on review of Xeryus and other Givenchy frags:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/207...t=xeryus+rouge
    Thank you, very interesting thread. I only have Xeryus, Xeryus Rouge, and the amazing Insense, although there are a few others I want to try. I never liked Pi, even though I am fond of sweet concoctions. Still can't find a love for it to this day.

Xeryus is some amazing stuff, IMHO. What a sensational, complex fragrance; it just smells good! I wonder who composed this?!

On a sad, unrelated note, it SEEMS Insense is no longer in production, although it's not hard to find on ebay or amazon.

http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/fragr...3_112_626.html

Still curious about the Les Mythiques version of Xeryus. It's so inexpensive online, I might as well get it one day (although I am honestly wary of getting an altogether different scent.)

Xeryus and Xeryus Rouge are very fine scents IMO.