Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Le Labo Refills - be aware

Paramount amounts of credit go to all of you and particularly mr.reasonable and kbe.
    for swap/sale:

I fail to see the difficulty in the Abu Dhabi store honoring the company policy and refilling your bottle. What exactly is the problem? It can't be technical, can it? They filled the bottles to begin with, so surely they can use the same mechanism to refill them.

It sounds to me like the local manager there is a jerk and it is probably best to avoid doing future business with him. Sorry to put it that way, but barring any other reason for him not doing what his company policy dictates, I can see no other reason for his strange attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Paramount amounts of credit go to all of you and particularly mr.reasonable and kbe.
    A tip of the hat to Mr. Reasonable and kbe!!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I fail to see the difficulty in the Abu Dhabi store honoring the company policy and refilling your bottle. What exactly is the problem? It can't be technical, can it? They filled the bottles to begin with, so surely they can use the same mechanism to refill them.

It sounds to me like the local manager there is a jerk and it is probably best to avoid doing future business with him. Sorry to put it that way, but barring any other reason for him not doing what his company policy dictates, I can see no other reason for his strange attitude.
    Not sure why they couldnt refill. I asked several times.
    Perhaps it has something to do with not being able financially record it or log it in the system?
    The manager was indeed a rude individual and Le Labo needs to be aware of this. He represents the department store that LL has a corner in.
    for swap/sale:

Not sure why they couldnt refill. I asked several times.
    Perhaps it has something to do with not being able financially record it or log it in the system?
    The manager was indeed a rude individual and Le Labo needs to be aware of this. He represents the department store that LL has a corner in.
    Rudeness--especially in a manager--should never, ever be tolerated.

Thank you for posting this, hedonist. Looks like my next big full-price purchase is going to be a Guerlain.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Most welcome Primose!

There are copious benefits to online forums.
    With the boom in online commerce, forums serve as an excellent medium to convey experiences, whether good or bad.
    for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

From a latecomer to the thread...a very interesting story! It has everything. Suspense. Heroes and Villains. Justice issues. Commerce. The WWW. The strength in numbers. The Modern World.

An object lesson for Eddie I believe. A good lesson in pro-active "customer-ship" too. I agree that this company is still immature in its dealings. Self-serving statements, etc. On the other hand, it was impressive that you got the co-owner! that would not have happened with Hermes or Chanel. But then, maybe they would not have made such an obvious faux pas to begin with. You caught them without a leg to stand on and they realized it and cut their losses. I'd say in the end only 50/50 on Le Labo's integrity. Time will tell about the other 50%.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Glad this finally got resolved but I think it was a bit uncool to push for the 100ml. Yeah, you said you'd pay the difference, but it puts them in a precarious position. If they had actually asked you to cover the difference, it would not have looked good and I would imagine it would have upset you (or at least, it would have upset other customers in that position), thus you basically forced their hand. It felt kind of 'eye for an eye' imo.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Glad this finally got resolved but I think it was a bit uncool to push for the 100ml. Yeah, you said you'd pay the difference, but it puts them in a precarious position. If they had actually asked you to cover the difference, it would not have looked good and I would imagine it would have upset you (or at least, it would have upset other customers in that position), thus you basically forced their hand. It felt kind of 'eye for an eye' imo.
    It may have appeared that I am trying to "push my luck" or get the most out of it. But thats not the case.

If you go to the source, it was pretty cheap of them to offer less than 100ml. Management positions require the knowledge to assess and classify the customer. They lacked that.
    It is obvious I am a big spender since I clearly mention I went in to refill 100ml bottles and intended on buying a new 100ml and I ended up buying patchouli 24 in 100ml. Obviously I am leaning towards the more wealthy side of the spectrum, so its pretty cheap of them to offer me less.
    When you walk into Cartier, they serve you Evian bottled water, same goes for Hermes, they wouldn't dare serve anything less than Evian. When I take my Panamera for service, they serve Illy coffee and when I had a major fix on my old 911 turbo, they provided me with a Cayenne S as a courteousy car. The agent for Porsche is the same for Volkswagen and Audi, so they could have easily provided me with anything from an Audi A3 or a Volkswagen Polo to an Audi A8 or Touarreg but they know better than that and offered me anything from the Porsche showroom and I chose a Cayenne. Nothing wrong with an A3 or Polo, they're fine vehicles too.
    They know how to recognize the customer type and accommodate to them. Eddie, as nice as he was in trying to remedy the situation, should have realized Im not a beggar who would settle for 50ml and thank my luck I got something out of it. Had this been some lower end brand, I wouldn't have been surprised by the "filler" that the 50ml offer was, but coming from Le Labo?
    I can buy ten of the 100ml tomorrow if need be and was serious about paying the difference. Im not bragging but my point is I go through my perfumes pretty quickly and that would mean I'd have to go through the hassle of buying another 50ml or 100ml of Iris since they dont have the refill service here, yet.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 15th June 2011 at 07:40 PM.
    for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I have to agree with hedonist222 on this. What Le Labo attempted albeit belatedly was a 'service recovery' & in this they had tried to 'go cheap' by offering the 50ml to a customer whose preference is clearly the 100ml. This was another mistake; the customer could have just as easily told them to take that bottle of 50ml & shove it where the sun doesn't shine but instead gave them another opportunity to make things right. As the mistake was clearly Le Labo's to begin with, they would have looked 'cheap' had they refused this opportunity & insisted on their first offer.

As an added emphasis on the value of customer service, perhaps it might not be such a bad idea for Le Labo to deduct the price of the 100ml Iris 39 from the wages of the SA involved in this fiasco.

It may have appeared that I am trying to "push my luck" or get the most out of it. But thats not the case.

If you go to the source, it was pretty cheap of them to offer less than 100ml. Management positions require the knowledge to assess and classify the customer. They lacked that.
    It is obvious I am a big spender since I clearly mention I went in to refill 100ml bottles and intended on buying a new 100ml and I ended up buying patchouli 24 in 100ml. Obviously I am leaning towards the more wealthy side of the spectrum, so its pretty cheap of them to offer me less.
    When you walk into Cartier, they serve you Evian bottled water, same goes Hermes, they wouldn't dare serve anything less than Evian. When I take my Panamera for service, they serve Illy coffee and when I had a major fix on my old 911 turbo, they provided me with a Cayenne S as a courteousy car. The agent for Porsche is the same for Volkswagen and Audi, so they could have easily provided me with anything from an Audi A3 or a Volkswagen Polo to an Audi A8 or Touarreg but they know better than that and offered me anything from the Porsche showroom and I chose a Cayenne. Nothing wrong with an A3 or Polo, they're fine vehicles too.
    They know how to recognize the customer type and accommodate to them. Eddie, as nice as he was in trying to remedy the situation, should have realized Im not a beggar who would settle for 50ml and thank my luck I got something out of it. Had this been some lower end brand, I would have been surprised by the "filler" that the 50ml offer was but coming from Le Labo?
    I can buy ten of the 100ml tomorrow if need be and was serious about paying the difference. Im not bragging but my point is I go through my perfumes pretty quickly and that would mean I'd have to go through the hassle of buying another 50ml or 100ml of Iris since they dont have the refill service here, yet.
    hedonist, I agree about assessing the customer and the service required. I once went into a Sephora store and asked to speak to the manager about exchanging a $10.00 3 ml atomiser due to a faulty piston, but did not have the sales receipt.

The atomiser has "Sephora" written across it so it could not have been bought anywhere else. I have made several large fragrance purchases at that store, and have the "VIB" status as a customer due to large purchases. The manager looked across the store at me, refused to speak to me personally and then sent one of her minions to deal with me. The minion insisted I fill out a form with name and address, then asked me to go and find a replacement item, and all for a $10.00 atomiser. She sheepishly said they had to do this for all exchanges. I have never again shopped at that store.

On top of that, I saw them replace the faulty atomiser back on the shelves for another poor customer to buy. Very, very bad customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I have to agree with hedonist222 on this. What Le Labo attempted albeit belatedly was a 'service recovery' & in this they had tried to 'go cheap' by offering the 50ml to a customer whose preference is clearly the 100ml. This was another mistake; the customer could have just as easily told them to take that bottle of 50ml & shove it where the sun doesn't shine but instead gave them another opportunity to make things right. As the mistake was clearly Le Labo's to begin with, they would have looked 'cheap' had they refused this opportunity & insisted on their first offer.

As an added emphasis on the value of customer service, perhaps it might not be such a bad idea for Le Labo to deduct the price of the 100ml Iris 39 from the wages of the SA involved in this fiasco.
    Diamond, I agree about he "damage control" response from Le Labo and not immediately offering the 100 ml bottle. The scents are so far overpriced anyway, and the gesture of offering the 100 ml to what was already a return customer would have gone a long way to ensuring good will.

A business interested in staying in business with go out of their way to right a wrong--even "eat it" at times.

Think of the restaurant who made a customer wait too long for a table in a very luxe restaurant. The maitre'd should offer the next meal free of charge on the house. This ensures the customer will return for the free meal, and then purchase another one if accompanying another person. Can you also see the income generated by the purchase of wine and desserts? This is common business sense and Le Labo have shot themselves in the foot.

Two strikes out for them: they did not honour the original refill policy, and then tried to "cheap" their way out of their mistake by not offering a 100 ml bottle from the beginning.

hedonist is right about assessing the customer. Las Vegas businesses "comp" their "high rollers" handsomely because they know it's all about the customer and his repeat business.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th June 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I have to agree with hedonist222 on this. What Le Labo attempted albeit belatedly was a 'service recovery' & in this they had tried to 'go cheap' by offering the 50ml to a customer whose preference is clearly the 100ml. This was another mistake; the customer could have just as easily told them to take that bottle of 50ml & shove it where the sun doesn't shine but instead gave them another opportunity to make things right.
    I very well could have and was almost reaching that point.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    hedonist, I agree about assessing the customer and the service required. I once went into a Sephora store and asked to speak to the manager about exchanging a $10.00 3 ml atomiser due to a faulty piston, but did not have the sales receipt.

The atomiser has "Sephora" written across it so it could not have been bought anywhere else. I have made several large fragrance purchases at that store, and have the "VIB" status as a customer due to large purchases. The manager looked across the store at me, refused to speak to me personally and then sent one of her minions to deal with me. The minion insisted I fill out a form with name and address, then asked me to go and find a replacement item, and all for a $10.00 atomiser. She sheepishly said they had to do this for all exchanges. I have never again shopped at that store.

On top of that, I saw them replace the faulty atomiser back on the shelves for another poor customer to buy. Very, very bad customer service!

Diamond, I agree about he "damage control" response from Le Labo and not immediately offering the 100 ml bottle. The scents are so far overpriced anyway, and the gesture of offering the 100 ml to what was already a return customer would have gone a long way to ensuring good will.

A business interested in staying in business with go out of their way to right a wrong--even "eat it" at times.

Think of the restaurant who made a customer wait too long for a table in a very luxe restaurant. The maitre'd should offer the next meal free of charge on the house. This ensures the customer will return for the free meal, and then purchase another one if accompanying another person. Can you also see the income generated by the purchase of wine and desserts? This is common business sense and Le Labo have shot themselves in the foot.

Two strikes out for them: they did not honour the original refill policy, and then tried to "cheap" their way out of their mistake by not offering a 100 ml bottle from the beginning.

hedonist is right about assessing the customer. Las Vegas businesses "comp" their "high rollers" handsomely because they know it's all about the customer and his repeat business.
    I know exactly what you mean!
    for swap/sale:

I know exactly what you mean!
    Yes, hedonist. The good customer deserves to be comped and catered to. For that reason, I will always shop at Beauty Habit, Scent Bar/Lucky Scent and the Palazzo Shoppes Guerlain.

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Hey, great stash you got in there. Here's an idea. Maybe BNers should all keep a photo of our fragrance wardrobe with us to show just how serious we really are about fragrances.

Re: stellar customer service. A couple of years ago I had a diamond ring returned to the vendor as one of the pave-set diamonds had fallen off during the re-sizing. I wasn't too pleased of course. To make amends, the owner personally wrote me an apology & offered a replacement ring of a significantly higher value at no additional cost to me. His thoughtful gesture made me a lifelong customer & I'd retell this story to anyone who would care to listen. His other customers would do likewise. Now his business is doing better than ever. That's the real value of excellent customer service.

Diamond flame, the initial 50ml offer by Le Labo got me thinking. Maybe they doubted my integrity.
    So, a picture is worth a thusand words. My Le Labo collection in 100ml.

That's a lovely label on that Rose 31

scent, yes the label in rose 31 somehow makes the rose and cumin stand out more than usual.

My good friend in Qatar just told me, "Did you know those assholes Le Labo refused to give me a refill here in Qatar?!"

I sighed and directed him to this thread.

Le Labo, if you're reading this, get your act together...seriously WTF!

Just another reason for me NOT to consider even trying the line.

As I observed earlier, they only corrected the mistake for hedonist after the issue was aired on Basenotes for all to see.

Then they had the nerve to crow about their amazing personal, timely and impressive "customer service." What a laugh!

They really need some training on how to cultivate return customers, esp. for a consumable item that is not your drugstore/chemist fragrance.

I see a Guerlain exclusive in my future.

And to think that Lucky Scent gave me a sample of their Jasmin 17, and I was toying with the idea of buying.

Bad move, Le Labo!

Scent, I concur with your impression of the company.

Therefore, I am bumping this thread...

I received the item yesterday along with a re-formulated Patchouli 24 sample.

I sent them an email notifying them of the package delivery .
    Thats how I was raised .

I received the item yesterday along with a re-formulated Patchouli 24 sample.

I sent them an email notifying them of the package delivery .
    Thats how I was raised .
    I hope they understand that I should have been a thanks, but also, "Thank you for finally doing what you should have done from the beginning of my inquiry."

I hope they understand that I should have been a thanks,
    Sorry didnt understand this part.

On the thank you note, I specifically said in my post that I'd sent them an email notifying them I received the package. I did not thank them, for the same reason you mention. Its what they should have done in the beginning, before KBE and mr.reasonable urged me to broadcast the situation here on BaseNotes.net

Another positive from Le Labo.

I contacted Eddie about about a refill for my Rose 31. My dad drained it in 3 weeks. My mother's own Rose 31 finished a few weeks ago and I lent her mine until I got her a new one. My dad stumbles upon it, loves it and drains it in a little over 2 and a half week.

Anyhow I sent an email inuring whether anything could be arranged since I'd hate to pay retail when I know that those residing elsewhere are getting a discount. I knew very well that I could have gotten a polite no because the service is not offered in the UAE.

Here is the response I got:

Hello Saif

We will send you a refill from our London store at our refill price and we will take care of shipping.

Can you send camelia your exact delivery address. Camelia, can you send Saif exact refill price in London.

Thanks for your continued support !

Eddie
    And then immediate got friendly emails from the London Le Labo people about proceeding with the order.

I responded:

Hello Eddie,

Many thanks for arranging the refill. I feel like a valuable customer. It's such devotion to the customer that generates a solid reputation and loyalty.
    I will not hesitate to make known these good deeds.

Since i have you attention I'd like to mention two points.

Firstly, you were right about the Patchouli 24 reformulation. There is no discernible difference.
    I also stated that on basenotes where a majority of your loyal customers congregate to discuss fragrance. They were certainly relieved to know there were no discernible differences.
    Us Patchouli 24 fans appreciate it remaining the same post reformulation.

Secondly, Santal 33 has yet to be released here in the UAE. I asked several times and the majority of employees had no idea what i was talking about albeit one who said that Le Labo likes to attend Perfume Launches and they (you two) were just here a few months ago. I also hear there will be an Abu Dhabi or Dubai city exclusive based around leather (Cuir xx).
    Any idea when we can expect it to be released ?

Thanks for your time.

Kindest wishes,

Any bad taste left in my mouth from the previous scenario has now been replaced with a lovely medley of forest fruits.
    Its this sort of customer service that lifts any company to the top.
    for swap/sale:

That's great customer service. Happy it turned out for you favorably in the end.

Great news about this.

The sad thing remains is that it took a public fragrance forum for Le Labo to own up to good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That's great customer service. Happy it turned out for you favorably in the end.
    Thanks Hednic. I got a call from the lovely Andy from London a few hours ago. Such a lovely and bubbly girl.
    She was great to deal with. Highly recommend her.

Great news about this.

The sad thing remains is that it took a public fragrance forum for Le Labo to own up to good customer service.
    Sometimes people learn the hard way (ask my little brother in law lol) but what matters is whether they've learned from the mistake and amended the hurt.

In Le Labo's case, they have certainly fixed any upset they caused and are proceeding with excellent customer service.

In all honesty, I wouldn't have been surprised if the response was "unfortunately its not possible at this time to refill in your area".
    But because I am a repeat customer, they value me and displayed this by having the London SA call me (4 hours after my email too!!) and take the order over the phone and will send it out tomorrow. They also covered postage.

I am satisfied and have forgotten any ill experiences I had with them. I'm not the kind to hold grudges either.

And this is Eddie's response:

Hello Saif,
    Yes, Santal 33 and Cuir 28 (exclusive for Dubai) are still not launched as we are resolving some issues with our partner there.
    Once those issues are resolved (it's taking more time than expected) we will have these launched and the refills added. I don't know when that will happen – it should have happened a month ago but it didn't…
    We'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again
    Eddie
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Simply not good enough.

Thats a cop-out... and gives no recognition to the fact you spent your money on a product or service that was promised/advertised but not fulfilled. They should offer you some refund/compensation.
    yes

---------

oh, it's been resolved

Thanks Hednic. I got a call from the lovely Andy from London a few hours ago. Such a lovely and bubbly girl.
    She was great to deal with. Highly recommend her.

Sometimes people learn the hard way (ask my little brother in law lol) but what matters is whether they've learned from the mistake and amended the hurt.

In Le Labo's case, they have certainly fixed any upset they caused and are proceeding with excellent customer service.

In all honesty, I wouldn't have been surprised if the response was "unfortunately its not possible at this time to refill in your area".
    But because I am a repeat customer, they value me and displayed this by having the London SA call me (4 hours after my email too!!) and take the order over the phone and will send it out tomorrow. They also covered postage.

I am satisfied and have forgotten any ill experiences I had with them. I'm not the kind to hold grudges either.

And this is Eddie's response:
    hedonist, yes, sometimes it takes a PR nightmare to shock a company into doing the right thing. I am glad they are coming through for you. I think they learned that many people are indeed watching.