Code of Conduct

Unhappy Panic! Caron are discontinuing "Rose"!

Spoke to a saleslady at the Av. Montaigne Caron boutique who said they are going to discontinue "Rose" in all versions - extrait, EdP and EdT.
    I suppose it's all those banned rose notes - perhaps someone with more expertise can explain the problem? I am gobsmacked! This is a wonderful, glorious rose perfume and I cannot imagine why else they would discontinue it.
    Am now looking round for a replacement, and at present Jo Malone Red Roses is the closest I have found, but Caron's Rose was such a deep, multi-faceted and complex perfume that even though it's a soliflore, it smelt like there was a lot more going on.
    Suggest anyone else who loves this frag should buy now and protest loudly!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Panic! Caron are discontinuing "Rose"!

Wow, a rose perfume I never smelled or even heard of? And now it's being discontinued!

The (few) reviews in the directory sound interesting, but unfortunately they do not make me think of any similar rose perfume to suggest.

Edit: Found more reviews on MUA. Some compare it to FdTRB but with more evolution and with vanilla, mint and geranium. Sounds nice. Hopefully it will still be there at the Caron boutique (which I haven't visited yet) whenever we get to NYC next.

redrose, have you ever tried the sample set from Les Parfums de Rosine? It may be worth your while to try the set-- or at least La Rose de Rosine.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th June 2011 at 03:07 PM.

I have the extract and it really the most glorious rich rose true life rose, with a hint of vanilla and musk.
    DONNA

Didn't Caron introduce a new rose parfum, Delir de rose? perhaps they're just substituting one with the other, which, after all, would be better than the stealthy reformulations of their other classics.

I haven't smelled either rose, though.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have tried this from the urn in the Caron boutique (now Phyto Universe) in NYC. It did not appeal to me & that's really unusual. Rose fragrances are among my favorites, as are several Carons. The Rose smelled particularly "dated" and I've never, ever thought that about a scent.
    Slumberhouse RUME LC & Auphorie Miyako on eBay

30roses, thanks for your suggestions - I have a sample of the Creed, which I like but it's not as complex as the Caron Rose. I also have La Rose de Rosine, a beautiful scent but quite different in feeling, with some jasmine and muguet, so again, not a good replacement.
    I'm awaiting a sample of Delire de Rose, which the saleslady described as "rose and lychee". Also a sample of Or et Noir, which I think may be the nearest to the Rose scent.
    I wish I could fall in love - and afford! - an Amouage, as they are beyond all these regs which are forcing reformulations.

I don't like my rose with fruit. Or et Noir for is me is rose turkish delight, its sweeter than the Rose. Still totally gorgeous and very morish.
    Last edited by donna255; 10th June 2011 at 08:36 AM.
    DONNA

I agree, Donna, I don't like rose with fruit either. But Or et Noir sounds scrumptious! BTW, Caron also said they will "probably" discontinue Or et Noir as well, "in a few months". So if you love it, better buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    I agree, Donna, I don't like rose with fruit either. But Or et Noir sounds scrumptious! BTW, Caron also said they will "probably" discontinue Or et Noir as well, "in a few months". So if you love it, better buy now.
    redrose, do you have more information on these 'discontinuations'? I mean Rose did not shock me, but Or et Noir would certainly be a greater loss from its historic 'value'...
    I have a sample of Delire de Rose as well as all the other new ones (there were 1 or 2 total scrubbers among them, one being the Code... I forgot the digits that went with the name) at home. I only recall I don't want smell like it.

Larimar, all I know is what the saleslady told me over the phone, when I was re-ordering my Caron Rose extrait. She said that Rose "is being discontinued", and had to go search for some - presumable in the back of the boutique somewhere! Then I asked about Or et Noir and she said she would send me a sample plus another one of Delire de Rose. She added that Or et Noir was also being discontinued, "probably in a few months"!
    That is all the info I have, but it is enough to be shocking! Searching for Caron Rose on the internet, I see that a number of stores have listed it as unavailable or out of stock. Les Senteurs in London still have the Rose EdP, but they don't stock Or et Noir (or any extrait). I'm getting backups for my Rose and probably for Or et Noir too.
    Maybe one of our Basenotes writers could look into this?

Thank you, redrose! I'm shocked about the Or et Noir since it is certainly par with Malle's Une Rose, if not superior, in my books. It's always bad when a long established fragrance is discontinued (Rose)... so, stock up on it, redrose! Good for you found out about it first hand. I will have to grab my Or et Noir sample as well.

I sent a PM to BayKAT, who is among my friends here, because I recalled correctly that Or et Noir was among her signature scents (I checked in the directory).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Both scents are still listed as available on their websites.
    Slumberhouse RUME LC & Auphorie Miyako on eBay

Yes, but the new urn fragrances aren't on their website either, so I don't think this is really an indication for an updated site.

I don't think the site is kept updated very well. Plus, you can't order from it, which is a big minus IMO. I can't wait to get my Or et Noir sample and if I like it I'm going to order the extrait at once.
    Perhaps if enough people ask for it, Caron may decide not to discontinue Or et Noir.
    But if it's because of the IFRA regs, maybe they have no choice. And it may be better for these wonderful perfumes to die an honourable death and retain their place in history rather than become reformulated into something awful.

Caron are just awful at updating their site.

Now what can happen is something is discontinued in Europe but not the US and vice versa. That happened with Violet Prec, it disappeared from Europe and the UK but was still widely available in the US for a number of years and then was discontinued there to be revamped and released again.

I am going to get a bottle of the Rose edp(found it quite reasonable online) as a back up to my extract.
    DONNA

Yes, I'm doing the same thing, Donna - getting an EdP to back up my extrait.
    What you say about the different strategies for different countries is really interesting. I did see a Rose on line in the US (it wasn't clear whether it was extrait or EdP), but the company, called Sweet Illusion, doesn't ship to Europe!
    But somewhere - if Rose is still available in the US - someone will sell to us Europeans.

With my recent back-up purchase of En Avion I have been provided with another full set of samples of all the urn/fountain extraits. Adding another indicator to what has been said, contrary to the past, this time I did not receive a Rose sample, whereas all others are included. I did still get Or et Noir or Alpona, the latter having been rumored repeatedly to be discontinued.