Code of Conduct

Default Women in history and their fragrance choices..

Hi there

I'm writing an article on women - preferably style icons and what fragrance they identified with.

I don't mean so much the modern stars who have commercial deals with a fragrance - but more the stars of the "silver screen" and what they chose to wear?

Obviously Marilyn and her Cno5 is famous but found another snippet out about Audrey Hepburn and Spring Flower by Creed.

Does anyone else have any other ones they know of?

Many thanks!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Monsieur Givenchy created L'Interdit for Audrey Hepburn.
    She was the only one who owned it for the first 10 years
    or so.

Marlene Dietrich wore Bandit by Robert Piguet; Knize Ten
    by Knize, Tabac Blond by Caron and Guerlain's Voil de Nuit.

Bette Davis exclusively wore Le De by Givenchy.

Besides No5, Monroe also wore Fracas by Robert Piguet
    and Joy by Jean Patou.

Jackie Onassis wore Bal à Versailles.

Default Re: Women in history and their fragrance choices..

I was going to take the general style of the person and their "signature" scent and suggest something similar that people could "evoke" the style of that person....so it could be a tough road but should be fun! We are in the UK so it's very hard to get a hold of some of the more niche fragrances...

thanks for your help!
    sarah

Audrey Hepburn was suppose to wear Ambre Cannelle by Creed. Givenchy created L'Interdit for her and in Breakfast at Tiffany's you can even see her spray herself with it.

But you have to be very careful with Creed and their marketing. They will say so and so wore this or that from them, or was even created for that person. When infact there is no real proof of any such thing. No doubt they sent bottles to many famous people but doesn't say they actually ever wore them.
    DONNA

Empress Sisi "Elisabeth of Bavaria" had Guerlain create Eau de Verveine for her, it helped with her headaches (migraines) which were chronic. She also had Creed make Fantasia de Fleurs for her, but I am sure it smelt much different than what we have now.

Marie-Antoinette was partial to scents by Houbigant; some say the scent of a Houbigant creation was what gave the royal family away at Varennes, along with the King's visage.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

If we are going waaay back in history, it's a well known fact,
    that Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain created Eau de Cologne
    Impériale
    in honor of Her Imperial Majesty Empress Eugénie
    of France in 1853.

According to nstperfume.com, he recieved the title:
    'Perfumer to her Majesty the Empress Eugénie'.
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 8th June 2011 at 06:56 PM.

If I recall properly, First Lady Dolly Madison was partial to an extract of verbena infused with gardenia absolute and a tincture made from the timbers of a pirate ship.

Hard to know about celebrities, current one may not even use a restroom if they're not sponsored. Basically it is "who's paying me more for pretending to wear their stuff"? Perhaps it was less obvious, but that must have happened in the past as well. Monroe's mention of Chanel no 5 is simply because it's a name everybody understand. had she said she likes to sleep only with two drops of Mitsouko on, nobody would have got it. And Creed is known for the most outrageous claims. Everybody, including the pope.

Although she isn't known to identify with it, there's a famous scene in Belle de jour where Catherine Deneuve (as the epitome of the elegant, wealth, but repressed bourgeoisie) drops a bottle of Mitsouko (mayhem follows).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post

Marlene Dietrich wore Bandit by Robert Piguet; Knize Ten
    by Knize, Tabac Blond by Caron and Guerlain's Voil de Nuit.
    It's amazing how much I love Marlene Dietrich and how much I love the perfumes she used to wear (I didn't know before).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    It's amazing how much I love Marlene Dietrich and how much I love the perfumes she used to wear (I didn't know before).
    She is amazing, isn't she?!
    As I understand, she not
    only wore Knize Ten; Knize
    also designed her suits.

Jean Harlow the first blond bombshell wore Mitsouko
    Rose Kennedy Liu
    Elizabeth wife of George IV wore L'Heure Bleu
    Queen Victoria Crown Bouquet
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    She is amazing, isn't she?!
    As I understand, she not
    only wore Knize Ten; Knize
    also designed her suits.

It makes a lot of sense

Banned

I read that Queen Elizabeth II wears L'Heure Bleue.
    Another Elizabeth, the late Elizabeth Taylor, wore Bal à Versailles.
    And would you believe that Courtney Love wears Fracas?

Quote Originally Posted by Madame du Barry View Post
    I don't think she's able to choose or discern something. She surely has been told what to wear LOL

No but, if true, that is pretty impressive for someone whose olfactory receptors were...otherwise engaged for much the past two decades.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    No but, if true, that is pretty impressive for someone whose olfactory receptors were...otherwise engaged for much the past two decades.
    The EdP is very strong

thanks guys! I typed this out last night but it doesn't appear to have posted it!

What about screen lovelies such as sophia loren, brigette bardot, ursula andress, ingrid bergman? Anyone really from about 1930-1970 ish? Before people were known for being a "face of"

It's to create a style page - none of my readers would identify with courtney love! i'm sure she needs something pretty strong to cover the constant smell of fags and booze.

Banned

thank you - this seems very helpful :-)

A major error on this site.

Olivier Creed in a recent interview talking about Green Irish Tweed, said he worked all of 1985 to get it right and it wasn't until 1986 it was ready. So if it was created especially for Cary Grant it must have been his ghost as he died in 1985.
    DONNA

Banned

Those celebrity "lisis" cannot be trusted - thank you for telling us!

I think i've got lots to be going on with just now - will of course take everything with a pinch of salt - it's just a fun piece about style so I will disclaimer that people were "alleged" to wear such-and-such...

if you didn't know what someone wore - what could you imagine them in? What would they have smelled of from fragrances on current release?

Some of the ones the old Hollywood wore are very difficult to track down and/or are prohibitively expensive. There's also the fact that many of them aren't as contemporary as today's female market would like...

appreciate your help guys - i've never seen so much knowledge in one place - you are amazing!

I agree with Cacio, Marilyn probably mentioned Chanel No 5 because everyone had heard of it. But she probably really did enjoy it, too, and I can certainly imagine her liking Fracas and Joy, as claimed.
    Today, she might be happier spritzing on Baghari (Piguet), because of its fizzy aldehydic rush and splendid floral mid notes. It's one of the better reformulations, IMO.
    For Brigitte, I would choose Yardley's Lavender (yes, really!) for day, because she's always been a very natural, outdoorsy woman, but for night, Shalimar for sure!
    Sophia Loren - the best choice would be the original Diva, but its modern version is so vapid I think she'd prefer L'Heure Bleue, like Catherine Deneuve, or else Bal a Versailles.
    Scarlett Johansson advertises Rose The One, and she's certainly a romantic, ultra-feminine beauty, but Rose The One is somewhat over-sweet and fruity for her sophisticated style. I think she'd do better with Bulgari Rose Essentielle, or Nahema.
    Nicole Kidman, a truly ethereal, mercurial woman, might feel an affinity with L'Air du Temps, or Ricci Ricci.
    For the divine Ava Gardner, what could be more appropriate than Parfum Sacre?
    Would love to see the finished version of your style pages, Queen Sheba!

Basenotes Institution

People who wore Mitsouko
    Ingrid Bergman
    Anais Nin
    Sergei Diaghilev

Imagining who wears/ wore what

I picture Tilda Swinton as a Chanel No. 22 woman ( even though she has Like This by ELdO )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I understand George Sand, the great French writer, wore something with patchouli, amber and musk. She even had an ex-lover, the poet Alfred de Musset, buy some for her.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...gs_george.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Of course! will happily pop you the link once done.

I was thinking about concentrating on 6 women, each with different styles - so;
    Marlene (feminine masculinity)
    Audrey(gamine/feminine)
    Marilyn(girly/innocent)
    Grace (ice queen/sophisticate)
    Sophia (glamourpuss/sex bomb)

and one more - maybe a "sporty" or "outdoorsy" type but still a style icon. Maybe even like a Michelle Obama type - she has that sporty feel to her!

hope it works! need some great photos...

Banned

Grace: Diorissimo. I don't know why, but it's a powerful association.

hi there - someone mentioned they wanted a look at this - http://www.simply-woman.com/index.ph...month/features

i went with 6 lovely ladies but going to do another more up to date people - apparently brigette bardot was noted as the No1 style icon and she wore L'Heure Blue...but would like to get some contemporaries in there - Michelle Obama, Kate Winslet maybe?

Anyone know what Lady GaGa wears?

Call me a cynic, but it is interesting how we all would like to believe that the gorgeous and glamorous wore transcendent fragrances. I suspect that given their (and not their publicists') choices, the famous really wore more pedestrian fragrances.

Anyhow, what did Simone de Beauvoir wear?

Isn't that what some of us are here for - to discover a gorgeous, transcedent fragrance for a certain period in our lives? Or to reflect on those fragrances we wore in our youth or reminds us of certain times/memories?

I totally believe a woman like Marilyn would wear Fracas - it's one I would choose and if it's accessible to me - it's very plausible she would have access to it too! And that Fleurissimo was created for Princess Grace, or that Diana wore Annick Goutal...

It's not like we are saying they are wearing No1 by Clive Christian. Creed, Piguet, Dior, Goutal have all been available on the open market and affordable to some for many years. I don't doubt the Celebs had access to these brands and if I were them - I wouldn't wear a pedestrian fragrance - I'd handpick a number of signature scents that represented my style and wear them often.

Actually - that's what I'm doing anyway! you don't have to be a celeb to have the desire to create a style/image for yourself. Neither do you need a stylist or publicist...In fact I wouldn't trust a stylist/publicist with choosing my fragrance - it's a very personal thing and something I take great pains to understand and apply to get the correct one that charms you and fills you with happiness!

:-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Madonna wears Fracas and Courtney copies Madonna...
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    I was thinking about concentrating on 6 women, each with different styles - so;
    Marlene (feminine masculinity)
    Audrey(gamine/feminine)
    Marilyn(girly/innocent)
    Grace (ice queen/sophisticate)
    Sophia (glamourpuss/sex bomb)

and one more - maybe a "sporty" or "outdoorsy" type but still a style icon. Maybe even like a Michelle Obama type - she has that sporty feel to her!
    What about Katharine Hepburn? She was widely known as an active, life-grabbing style icon. I'm having trouble thinking of a truly "sporty" or "outdoorsy" type from Old Hollywood....

yes I considered her - but it didn't have to be old hollywood - so I went for Princess diana in the end - sort of intrepid/un ambassador/land mine campaigner/devoted mother type. She had many aspects to her style but I was after this one in particular - the kind of woman who can get her hands dirty but scrub up with a little black dress in the evening.

Basenotes Plus

hi there - someone mentioned they wanted a look at this - http://www.simply-woman.com/index.ph...month/features

i went with 6 lovely ladies but going to do another more up to date people - apparently brigette bardot was noted as the No1 style icon and she wore L'Heure Blue...but would like to get some contemporaries in there - Michelle Obama, Kate Winslet maybe?

Lady GaGa mentioned that she wears Womanity by Thierry Mugler on The Graham Norton Show. It makes sense when you think about her connections to Mugler (she is a big fan of and wears a lot of vintage/new Mugler and her close friend/fashion director Nicola Formichetti is the Creative Director for Mugler).
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

LOL, does she actually wear anything these days - fragrance or otherwise?!?!

On a more serious note, this is a superb thread! Thanks for posting this out. Your site is great by the way!! Now, any takers on starting a similar thread for male celebs?

teehee - i can imagine she loves a spritz of something - I can see her wearing a gents scent actually!

thanks for the compliment!

I heard George Clooney wore Green Irish Tweed? when I heard that I had to go and smell it so I could dream what cuddling him would be like. Yum.

I did a men's fragrance review but it is a girls site so it would have a twist like "want your man to smell like Becks?"

http://www.simply-woman.com/index.ph...s-for-your-man

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    LOL, does she actually wear anything these days - fragrance or otherwise?!?!
    Nice, laughed alot!!!
    BTW nice thread, thank you.

I read somewhere that Diana wore 24 Faubourg and Quelques Fleurs. Beautiful fragrances for a stellar lady.

I always wondered what Gina Lollobrigida wore, I imagine her in Carthusia's Ligea.

Princess Di - Penhaligon Blue Bell
    Queen Elizabeth - Joy
    Lauren Bacall - Lucien Lelong's Indiscreet
    Princess Grace - Creed Fleurissimo (I'm sure if Creed had lied about Prince Ranier's commission for a fragrance for his beloved, Ranier would have SUED Creed.

A few who wore Bal a Versailles: Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson, Jackie Kennedy
    Miss Taylor also wore Femme and Jungle Gardenia
    Natalie Wood also wore Jungle Gardenia
    Connie Stevens loved Fidji
    Lana Turner wore Mary Chess Tuberose
    Ava Gardner fave was aqua de Palma
    Dolley Madison wore White Rose by Caswell-Massey
    C-M # 6 was worn by George Washington
    Eva Peron loved Lanvin's Scandale and Floris Special 127
    Frank Sinatra smelled of Zizanie and Bois de Portugal
    Grace Kelly creed Fleurissimo and Rarissima by Vivianne Woodard were made for her wedding
    Ingrid Bergman wore Mitsouko
    John F Kennedy wore C-M Jockey Club
    Brad Pitt is rumored to love Lorenzo Villerosi Musc
    Angelina Jolie wears Herrera, BLV Black, Creed Love in White