Code of Conduct

Default Is Le Dandy the "adult" version of Pure Malt ?

I wore Le Dandy (by D'Orsay) today and that was my impression. No sweet, vanillic, patchouli gooeyness here! I'm surprised it doesn't get much attention on BN, because I'd much rather spend my money on it. Le Dandy is $120 for 200 ml at BE, whereas PM is selling for around $100 on ebay, for example. How many of you have tried both and what's your opinion on these two, compared to each other?

Default Re: Is Le Dandy the "adult" version of Pure Malt ?

I have both and I personally do not see any comparisons. I feel that Le Dandy is far classier and of a much higher quality.

I like the boozy top notes of Le Dandy.

BTW, don't believe the hype on the boxes stating the company has been around since 1830. Pure marketing fabrication. Ditto for the tale about the romantic lover making scents for his "secret" mistress. The company was started up in 1908.

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Not much in common with Pure Malt. Micheal Kors For Men is pretty close to Le Dandy, however.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have both and I personally do not see any comparisons. I feel that Le Dandy is far classier and of a much higher quality.
    Well, I was trying to be "diplomatic" about it, and not use a word like classy. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, I was trying to be "diplomatic" about it, and not use a word like classy. LOL.
    Make sure you buy the older version of the Le Dandy EDT in the white box. It's much better than the new EDP version.

The EDP does not have the oakmoss anymore.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Interesting that you say that, because I was thinking that it smelled like there was an awful lot of oakmoss, even though it wasn't listed in the note pyramid. I have a 100 ml bottle, but it doesn't indicate formulation type, and I got it without the box.

Frank Los Angeles #2 bears a resemblance to Le Dandy.

i don't smell any similarities

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Interesting that you say that, because I was thinking that it smelled like there was an awful lot of oakmoss, even though it wasn't listed in the note pyramid. I have a 100 ml bottle, but it doesn't indicate formulation type, and I got it without the box.
    The 1990s bottle of EDT had a silver cap with the inkwell bottle.

The newer EDP has the same inkwell bottle but with a gold cap.

Okay, thanks.

EDIT: I've got the silver cap one. It's an excellent frag, but apparently you should avoid the gold cap/EdP version.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th June 2011 at 09:24 PM.

I don't smell any similiarity sadi that I've to agree with other reviewers that Le Dandy 2010 reminds of many designer fragrances from the last couple of decades and in this context I find it to be seriously disappointing.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I don`t see a strong link between the two fragrances either. Le Dandy reminds me more of an obscure flanker that Paco Rabanne Launched years ago, called Xs Extreme Girl. Incredibly, both shared a dry alcoholic spicy aroma to my nose, where i could get a strong clove in combination of a dry honeyed aroma and the whiskey part. The difference is that Le Dandy seemed to develop to a dry woody ambered base that seemed so intense to me that i found not comfortable for wearing regularly. Xs Extreme Girl seemed less intense, opening with a red fruity thing to then focus on the dry spicy honey core, ending in a sheer woody suedish base with light flowery details. Is quite interesting how both fragrances, so distant of each other, seem to have so much in common.
    I don`t see Pure Malt as negative as some may see due to the high popularity it got here on basenotes. It`s a very well constructed fragrance, rich on details, with a smooth progression from the beginning, the starts with the fruity accents in combination of the peaty aroma, then going to the liqueurish caramelic core and ending in a woodier dry base. It has a good projection, good sillage, a fine interaction between each part and a strong connection with the theme proposed. It is something capable of retaining Amen identity but interpreting it in another context. It`s not only a change of proportions or a freshening/darkening opening notes of the original, but a different construction based upon the original Amen. I think that this are enough features to consider it an adult and quality fragrance.

About the old Le Dandy version, keep an eye on french ebay, sometimes it pops there for cheaper prices. When i bought mine it was 50-60 dollars a bottle.