Code of Conduct

Thread: Aveda Aromas

Default Aveda Aromas

More specifically, I am speaking of Yatra and now the newer Ancient Attar. Anyone familiar with these scents? More importantly, anyone actually fond of them? I have worked for an Aveda salon for over two years now and I just don't get it. I am NOT in favor of these at all. Both of them smell like, for lack of better description, burnt forest. Just curious if there is anyone out there who appreciates those aromas and can explain to me what the attraction is.

Default Re: Aveda Aromas

I have never experienced Yatra or Ancient Attar, but I do have a weakness for Aveda Men Pure-formance. It is a green sillage-monster and instantly recognizable. Even using the shampoo or the hair gel seems to envelope you in the fragrance which I am sure some people hate. I do wonder how their products sell and why so little attention on Basenotes.

Basenotes Institution

Tried Ancient Attar yesterday.

I agree, it is not a very smooth rose/sandalwood fragrance - it has that yeast woody quality to it that smells like resins and slightly rancid oil. It isn't trying to smell 'pretty' and perhaps that is part of its appeal. It smelled very ancient, that's for sure.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

RANT ALERT!

The current ones are a bit pants.

The old pure-fume chakras were brilliant. They worked well as natural perfumes, never mind any spiritual claims. If you have any influence in the head office direction whatsoever, please ask them why they were discontinued in the first place! (I'm guessing the sales weren't strong enough, but that's because they were ahead of their time. It's right NOW that everyone and their mum is looking for organic and natural perfumes).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Tried Ancient Attar yesterday.

I agree, it is not a very smooth rose/sandalwood fragrance - it has that yeast woody quality to it that smells like resins and slightly rancid oil. It isn't trying to smell 'pretty' and perhaps that is part of its appeal. It smelled very ancient, that's for sure.
    Did you check the expiration date?

I'm afraid I have to get on Pai-Pai's bandwagon...

Ever since Horst sold the company to EL, I think it's been downhill, originality-wise.
    I stockpiled the Chakras; they were awfully good, many of them.
    Now, everything smells generic....

I agree. I used to spend sooo much money there.
    I used to worship their Eros. I had the spray and the purfume oil. I still have the beautiful perfume bottle. Reminds one of the Amouage Attar bottle.
    They also had Mizaan, Arabia, Amazonia, etc.
    After they discontinued all of that, I never went back.
    Ironically, their haircare products never worked for me.
    RM

Agree on the Chakras, shame they vanished - I still have a couple that I use when I travel. I tried the new range of seven sprays - nice idea but not the same. The original 'Man' is okay - unique in it's own quiet meditative weekend afternoon way.

Basenotes Institution

I ,unfortunately have 2 full unopened bottles of Aveda Ancient Attar. They are very nice but I feel they are a bit raw , if you know what I mean .They're expensive too !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have Yatra, but that very earthy topnote is a little difficult to get by. Drydown is pleasant, but I can't say that this is brilliant, for me at least. Sometimes I can appreciate the quality of materials (Aesop's Mystra, e.g.) without loving the fragrance. I will probably give it another try in several weeks. I might feel differently later.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    I have Yatra, but that very earthy topnote is a little difficult to get by. Drydown is pleasant, but I can't say that this is brilliant, for me at least. Sometimes I can appreciate the quality of materials (Aesop's Mystra, e.g.) without loving the fragrance. I will probably give it another try in several weeks. I might feel differently later.
    Yatra I found more difficult Lessa. I agree re.the top note. I have sort of gone off the Ancient Attar too !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I had tried the "chakras" (before my perfume hobby days) and I remember I liked them a lot. Bummer that they are discontinued -- I would have revisited!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

This thread started a few years ago, but thought I would add.

I'm new here at Basenotes but have been using AVEDA since 1989 and loving it, mostly. One of my goals is to review and document some of the rare, classic aromas that were discontinued and that are currently available.

Over the last three months I have been scouring the internet to expand my collection of classic and new products. Yatra is interesting. Not my favorite, to say the least. I have noticed that many of the aromas, post 2005 are very "Earthy" and simplified where many of the original aromas were more "Etherial" and complex. Yatra, Attar and the new version of the Chakras all have a similar burnt, earthy scent. All are very natural in regards to ingredients, but personally, the formulations are not as complex and compelling as the earlier products.

I have found a nice way to wear Yatra is to layer it with Attar. This makes if very expensive, but a much fuller experience. Today I mixed the Yatra with the Inspiritu version of Isesi (a lovely citrus classic from aveda circa 2000). That was about 4 hours ago and still have a subtle, clean, woodsy scent when I inhale next to the skin.

When combined with other aromas, it seems to anchor and enhance. Alone, it is a bit flat.