Code of Conduct

Default I just purchased 19 grams of Cambodian Oud chips...how do you burn it for fragrance?

anyone know a good way to burn oud chips for fragrance? coal or on a hot plate? or directly on fire? I just purchased 10 gram of Cambodian oud chips. thanks...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: I just purchased 19 grams of Cambodian Oud chips...how do you burn it for fragrance?

The wood?

Also, its expensive?

Default Re: I just purchased 19 grams of Cambodian Oud chips...how do you burn it for fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    The wood?

Also, its expensive?
    I paid $35 for 10 grams...is that a good deal or too expensive?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I haven't paid only $35 for 10 grams in a long time..... wait..... what are we talking about?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

This page explains one way to burn it:
    http://www.shoyeido.co.jp/english/knowledges/soradaki/

This takes a bit of practice to get it right. Too close to the heat, and you just get harsh smoke. You want just the right amount of heat to vaporize the aromatics in the wood. An easier way is to use an electric heater with adjustable heat. You can find these at various price ranges if you look around the internets.

Your price suggests that your oud is not the highest quality, but you need to practice a bit before you start using the expensive stuff. Good luck!

Variable electric heater is the way to go. Or you can use an improvised ghetto burner by using a folded piece of aluminium foil held over a burning candle. You may wanna use very small slivers of the wood as larger chunks won't burn completely and if you turn them over to get the unburned side the smoke will be coarse and bitter. The price you paid is really low, where did you get the chips from?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Variable electric heater is the way to go. Or you can use an improvised ghetto burner by using a folded piece of aluminium foil held over a burning candle. You may wanna use very small slivers of the wood as larger chunks won't burn completely and if you turn them over to get the unburned side the smoke will be coarse and bitter. The price you paid is really low, where did you get the chips from?
    I got it from ebay...how much does 10 grams of good oud chips go for? where can I get some at a good price?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I got it from ebay...how much does 10 grams of good oud chips go for? where can I get some at a good price?
    Prices vary, there's really no upper limit. Couple of good places to get high quality wood from:

Oudimentary
    AgarAura
    Aluwwah

Hello

The traditional Middle Eastern way would be to get these round coals they use in water pipes. They're easy to light and have a little dip in the top of them where you put the incense once the coal is lit. You don't really need an incense burner but its a nice touch as it allows you to carry it around with you and pass it around amongst your guests who then direct the smoke into their clothes and hair etc.

I sometimes just take one of those fragrance oil burners that have a place for a tea candle on the inside and wrap the top where the oil would go in aluminum foil to protect it from discoloration from the coal. You might as well use a little saucer or a cup, it doesn't matter.

I've even burnt some on my electric cooker on the lowest heat. Just stick some aluminium foil under the chips. Watch the heat, you don't want the foil to melt and get stuck to your cooker.. It has been scientifically proven that it is completely possible for that to happen.. lol..

The more resin the wood contains, the higher quality it has and this can be checked by weighing it. The super rich people in the Middle East get their mittens on chunks of actual resin and burn that.

With regards to prices then higher prices don't always mean better quality. Because the wood itself is very light and becomes heavier the more resin it has, most people cheat when selling it. This is done by taking dry wood which doesn't have a lot of resin and putting it under pressure with a solution of arabic gum which is pushed into the wood. The chips are then dried and polished to get this shiny look (the gum also adds weight). That's one of the ways and there are more than you could imagine. I've even heard of people adding lead to the chips somehow.

I'd say $35 for 10g is about the cheapest version you can get from places like Arabian Oud but I'd say that is a good starter because it will be the closest to the basic wood that you can get. Then you can move upwards in the quality scale and you'll learn the difference as you go along.
    Last edited by CivetSpiller; 27th May 2011 at 05:28 PM.

The first thing you will need is good quality wood chips. Poor quality chips will impart a smell that is too smoky, and the smell of smoke will overpower the smell of the fragrant resin inside the wood that is released when burned.
    Light up a piece of charcoal and place in in a mabkhar, or an incense burner. Alternatively you could use an electric burner for which you won't need a coal, but generally they do not heat up enough to fully bring out the resin from the wood.

The best sort of of charcoal to use are bamboo incense charcoals, which are fragrance-free and are made without saltpeter or sulphur.

After the charcoal has burnt for approximately 10 minutes, a thin layer of ash will have formed on top of it. Do not brush this off.

Now place a small oud chip, about the size of a cardamom pod, on top of the charcoal. The thin layer of ash will ensure that the wood itself does not burn too much - rather the resin inside will heat up.

In a few seconds, you will see that the color of the wood starts to become darker, and the surface starts bubbling. This is the resin being released due to the heat, and some smoke will start to rise now.

You can scent your beard, clothes and neck with the smoke. Be sure not to let your clothes get singed by the burning charcoal!
    Put the oud chip aside once the smoke stops rising from it. Do not flip the chip. While you may notice that more smoke is emitted by doing so, it will have a harsh smoky smell that pricks the nose instead of the sweet woody smell you want to scent yourself with.

The smell of smoke will fade soon, and what you will be left with is a spicy, sweet, woody smell that will keep you company for days, and will be the curiosity in the minds of those you meet.

AgarAura

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I haven't paid only $35 for 10 grams in a long time..... wait..... what are we talking about?
    lool we can dream cant we... lol

for swap/sale:

The proper way to burn it is to heat some coal (natural coal preferabbly) and then put the oud wood on the coal and allow burning. Blow from time to time to get the coal hot.

I'd say what you have is D grade. enjoy !

for swap/sale:

So I received my 10 grams of Cambodian Oud Chips the other day...I used a foil paper and lit an unscented candle underneath the foil paper...I placed the candle far enough so that the heat is hot, but not burning hot. I took a peice of the chip and broke it in small pieces and placed it on the foil. 10 seconds later I can see the chips start to heat up and released some smoke. Not much smoke but enough for about 5 minutes. My room just smelled like oud for the rest of the day. I'm not sure if all oud chips smells like this, but it has a sweet, spicy, animalic, dark, and mystical scent... my brother said that it smells like a stained unwashed boxers after a long day out in the hot weather...I find it quite amusing...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

lol.. your description sounds about right and your brother is wro.o.o.o.o.ong.. don't worry he'll see the light.. Its an acquired taste.. King Louis the 16th used to have his clothes washed in Oud and Rose so if anything it smells like unstained fresh royal french boxers..

If the smell remains in the room you've got nice stuff.. That means your chips have good amounts of resin in them which is what makes them better quality..

double post.. sorry..
    Last edited by CivetSpiller; 7th June 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by CivetSpiller View Post
    lol.. your description sounds about right and your brother is wro.o.o.o.o.ong.. don't worry he'll see the light.. Its an acquired taste.. King Louis the 16th used to have his clothes washed in Oud and Rose so if anything it smells like unstained fresh royal french boxers..

If the smell remains in the room you've got nice stuff.. That means your chips have good amounts of resin in them which is what makes them better quality..

That smell of unwashed boxers is somewhat quite addicting...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man