Code of Conduct

Default Help to decide: Olene or A la Nuit

My dear mother has given me money to buy half a bottle of a mainly jasmin or orange blossom frag (the other half is for me )

I'm pretty bored so i'm going to buy it in a couple of hours and in my city i have access only to this two: Olene and A La Nuit. I have access to Night Scented Jasmine by Floris, but i haven't read many good reviews of it.

Olene and A La Nuit are two frags i already know and meet the requirements. Which one would you choose?

Default Re: Help to decide: Olene or A la Nuit

If you have access to Kilian or Nasomatto, please consider Love & Tears or Nuda, both of which I rate higher than these two while being jasmine soliflores. If orange flower is more important, consider Vero Profumo's Rubj Eau de Parfum.

That being said, if I was buying for someone whose tastes I didn't know and had to choose between those two, A La Nuit is the safer choice. Pretty much straight-up jasmine.

If I was buying for me from those two, Olene. Olene is still the most searingly intense white floral I know.

Olene out of the two -- A la Nuit I find a bit over-kill and suffocating.

Basenotes Plus

I find A la Nuit too indolic for my taste. Olene is indeed a potent white floral but may come across as strident, lacking a certain softness about it. Givenchy Organza probably wears better but I doubt if it's still in active circulation.

Olene

They're both good, and indolic. So I'd say whichever is cheapest.

If you lived in Paris, I'd say choose Sarrasins rather than A la nuit (Sarrasins is smoother and richer, with some leather and fruits as well). But that's not in the opportunity set.

cacio

I'd suggest A la Nuit. I have Olene and it's TOO white flowery.
    If you REALLY like it I'll give it to you.

for swap/sale:

Finally went for Olene as a more realistic (IMO) jasmine soliflore. My mother loves it so far!
    Thanks for the comments.
    Sadly, I have no access to nasomatto or Kilian, i'd had to sample them first, and they're quite expensive, so i try not to enter into their worlds (as with amouage).

Worst thing i could do was sampling Carnal Flower... now i want it madly.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    They're both good, and indolic. So I'd say whichever is cheapest.

If you lived in Paris, I'd say choose Sarrasins rather than A la nuit (Sarrasins is smoother and richer, with some leather and fruits as well). But that's not in the opportunity set.
    cacio

How does Sarrasins compare to A la nuit?

for swap/sale:

A la nuit vs Sarrasins: they're both jasmine centered. To my nose, A la nuit is almost purely jasmine, and extremely indolic. Sarrasins, after a while, becomes somewhat less indolic and some fruits (typical of Serge Lutens) and light leather come forward (mind you - this is in no way a leather thing, even by SL light leather standards, it's just light background touches). So for this complexity, I prefer it, though if one wants a more straightforward jasmine, A la nuit is more like it.

Also, Sarrasins stains clothes purple, so it can only be worn on skin (or on paper).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How does Sarrasins compare to A la nuit?
    Different creatures entirely, in my opinion. It's kind of the way Rose de Nuit ( reserved, dark, complex ) relates to Sa Majeste La Rose ( dewy, fresh, simple ).

A La Nuit is straight-ahead big, simple jasmine. Sarrasins is both quieter and more nuanced, a certain cool vibe in the opening paired with plummy note and civet in the base. I love Sarrasins; I find it special, but I think any number of jasmine soliflores do straight-up jasmine better than A La Nuit.

Sur la Plage

A La Nuit is the far better fragrance IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks Cacio & sugandaraja. Insights are very helpful.

for swap/sale: