Code of Conduct

Default What's the most expensive fragrance in your collection?

This isn't at all intended to be a bragging rights or showing off thread, but rather I'm curious what the most expensive bottle in everyone's collection might be.

Feel free to define "expensive" as you wish--if you got a great deal on a bottle that usually retails for hundreds higher, if you bought a bottle that then inflated in value, if the fragrance was a gift, etc., it's really up to you to decide how to answer the question.

I'm simply curious the most people are willing to spend on a single fragrance. If you can, I'd appreciate knowing how you justified the purchase, whether it was a difficult decision, and maybe where you were in your life at the time (i.e. "I was a dead broke college student but decided to skip a few meals and buy it," or "I'd just gotten a raise and was celebrating.")

And, while we're at it, do you think fragrance costs are justified? Where do you draw the lines between a good deal, reasonable, and expensive. For me, <$90 is a good deal and >$200 is expensive, but obviously it depends on the brand and, most of all, the fragrance.

Default Re: What's the most expensive fragrance in your collection?

I paid 145usd in a sealed Antaeus Sport 3.4oz, my most expensive bottle until now.

I bought By Kilian's A Taste of Heaven with the whole silly bottle in a box with a key presentation ($235 for 50 ml), which makes it my most expensive purchase to date. However, you can get the refills for much cheaper, which is what I will do for future By Kilian buys.

If you don't count that (since it is actually available retail at a lower price), my most expensive purchase has been Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady, 50 ml for $200.

A Taste of Heaven was the first thing I bought breaking the $200 threshold. So now... $300 bottles don't seem quite so daunting, perhaps. I was willing to get L'Artisan's Iris Pallida 2007 at $300 for 100 ml, but then the reissue came out which was much cheaper ($115 for 50 ml). Anyways, I didn't have to make that decision. Spending $300 on bottles of fragrance is going to curtail the number of bottles I get, though, for a while.

If I could spend $30 each for ten different bottles of things I am kind of indifferent to versus $300 for something I really love, then why not just pay the $300 for the one?
    Last edited by Furriner; 10th June 2011 at 12:02 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Reglisse Noire is my most expensive, as it's just a 50ml and was a little over $100. I got it last year and it's already more than half gone. Well hopefully she will do refill size, and if not, I would definitely re-buy when it runs out, I love this in the fall/winter.

I do have one, and want two, others that cost over $100 but they are bigger bottles so are less per ml.

cheapest, I think, for a full size bottle, is the beloved Karmala, at $15.

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre and Le Parfum de Thérèse are mine.

I felt flush after taxes this SPring and so I popped for some samples from Ayala Moriel and some from Soivohle (Liz Zorn). While their regular bottles are cheaper, I paid $12 and $10 per millilitre for these samples. At that rate, a 3.4-ounce bottle would cost $1200 or $1000. I happily pay $4-5 for a millilitre of some frags made by Amouage, for example. But then, when you love a scent--and use it judiciously--the cost of a decant seems manageable. If you use 10 sprays per mL as an average, it works out to just 40 or 50 cents per spritz.

Clive Christian
    No. 1 Pure Parfum Limited in a Crystal Bottle
    $5000.00
    Last edited by hednic; 19th August 2014 at 12:36 AM.

The most expensive bottle I own is Creed Private Collection Tabarome. I bought it just as it was being discontinued, so it hadn't reached the extremely high levels of today. I think I paid about $350, which isn't bad at all when you consider it is a 250ml bottle.

I own two of the Amouage Library Collection Opus series, which cost about $290 a bottle here in Saudi Arabia. But for the most part I don't like paying over $200 for a fragrance.

The most expensive fragrances I own, when you consider price per ml. are some of the Arabian oud oils and mukhallets (blends) from houses like Qurashi, Arabian Oud, Ajmal, Junaid, Yas, etc. I own some that cost $200-$300 for only 3 ml.

The Chanel Les Exclusifs extraits cost 10 Euros per ml... gulp! At least, it is nothing like 100 bucks per ml, like your oils, noggs... OMG!

Basenotes Plus

my priciest purchase was two 100 ml bottles of Guerlain- for Philtre D'Amour and Vetiver Pour Elle it was $485 USD including sales tax.

I have also bought some dynamite bottles for as little as $1, though.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Recently a Chanel Exclusif £100 for 75mls, unfortunately that is the price retail for them.
    Before that £108 for Nuit de Noel extract 28mls, this was actually a deal and I saved by going to the wholesaler. I wised up and the next bottle was £60 on ebay brand new.
    DONNA

Some Amouage for $250

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Rose Poivree, which was a gift.

So far, 225 ml of Knize Ten for approximately 105 Euros

Homage I think was £180 for 12ml so price per ml , that would be the one I guess

Basenotes Plus

Xerjoff Uden / Nio.
    Clive Christian X.

The most I have shelled out on a single bottle was for the monster 200ml of 31 Rue Cambon from a Chanel boutique, which set me back around £170 (this was before Chanel brought out the much more reasonable 75ml size). In terms of £s per ml, then it's probably L'Air du Desert Marocain, which cost £85 for 50ml (multiply by 1.6 to get approx price in $s). My best bargain was about 80ml of vintage L'Air du Temps edt, which I picked up on ebay for around £5.

Most of my purchases fall in the £20-£40 bracket (I usually only buy the smaller sizes). The prospect of spending much more than that tends to induce a nosebleed, but I'll happily stump up the cash for something really special - which Cambon and Marocain are to me. I can still dither though, in which case I remind myself that I'm spending money that I've earned, I have no other expensive hobbies (apart from feeding the wild birds that visit my garden and who munch through several kilos of sunflower seeds in a week) and no-one else in the family is doing without anything to keep me in the perfume habit.
    Last edited by devilcat; 10th June 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Xerjoff Nio and Creed Selection Verte are currently my most expensive

From my very small collection,I think the most expensive was Encre Noire-100ml.(don't laugh) around 55$ when it was on sale.

My most expensive perfume, ounce per ounce, is By Kilian's Liaisons Dangereuses, and I only have the travel spray. I actually think that By Kilian is a great value, comparing it mostly overpriced houses such as Creed, Bond No. 9, the ridiculously priced Clive Christian (good for you if you can afford it... and hope you love the smell!), etc. That said, if you utterly adore a smell that costs $500 or, God forbids, even more, and you DO have the means, why not? Go for what you love. That's why I usually don't try what I do know are overpriced fragrances, because then I won't be tempted if I happen to like them (although when I HAVE tried many pricey scents, I often fail to see the point-the smell very often-though not always-doesn't seem to match the exuberant price, and no, it's NOT my "unrefined" nose deceiving me, as I have pricey favorites as well.)

For me, perfume is not a luxury, nor a class statement: just beautiful art. You (and your economics) should be the sole judge of whether a perfume is "worth it" or not for you. I do get offended at the idea of people selling me "prestige," rather than a beautiful, creative scent.

Guerlain - Spiritueuse Double Vanille. The wallet really took a hit on that one..

Portrait of a Lady 100ml, I think. Costs about 210 euros.

Like a few others on here, my single most expensive fragrance would be Chanel Cuir de Russie.

I value some less expensive ones more though.
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 10th June 2011 at 05:39 PM.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

A full flacon of Creed Windsor at $605.00. Worth every penny. After this purchase, my price barometer went out of whack and now everything else seems cheap.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 13th June 2011 at 12:41 PM.

My beautiful bottle of Guerlain Djedi, the first re-edition of the scent back in the 90's. I paid around $1200 for it, which I think is absolutely insane, but i will have this, G-d willing, for the rest of my life. I am happy I purchased it when I did because i would never be in a position at this time to spend that. At this point in time a $50 purchase from ebay is really stretching the limits for me, that would be something vintage and impossible to find otherwise; only if I have made money selling off some of my own scents on ebay also.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

My biggest purchase so far has been Chanel Antaeus. I think it was around $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    My biggest purchase so far has been Chanel Antaeus. I think it was around $75.
    Down here, a USD 25 3.3 Oz bottle of any designer brand is sold for a hefty USD 75. Take Krizia Uomo... for example. So I am in a position to say that I spent USD 50 in a 1 Oz bottle of Paco Rabanne's XS. So an answer to this thread would be completely off sided.

But sometimes you can get good deals at the local E Bay: I paid USD 75 for a bottle of Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente. A store sells her most boring scents for USD 200.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Xerjoff Oroville. But no, I didn't pay for it. On a per ml basis it's probably the Caron Tabac Blond extrait.

But what MikeNY pointed out is true. Once you've broken a price barrier, 'pricey' takes on a different meaning altogether.

$865.00 for a 1000ml flacon of Creed Original Vetiver is the highest total price I've paid. I tend to be liberal in applying/reapplying this one so the big bottle should last a good while.

Martin

I really think it is all about perspective. Like others have said, for me, my two bottles of Chanel Exclusifs were the most expensive at about $200 retail for 200ml. But I could count my bottles in my wardrobe that I don't like nearly as much, and were $30 - $100 a pop, and I feel that was a total waste. My Chanels are true loves, and even if I don't finish them in my lifetime, I won't regret the purchases for one moment.
    To answer the other part of you question, I am at a place in life where I am able to purchase whatever fragrance I want, because I have my other life expenses in line. And fortunately, most fragrances that I want are not always incredibly expensive. Of course, like most everyone else, you have to prioritize where you spend your money.

I'm far more interested in the most invaluable, not the most expensive.

All my fragrances cost an average of 80 Euros. At present I can't afford to spend more than this, unfortunately

Per ML it is Jaipur Homme EDP, which is about $80 for a 1.7 oz. bottle now that it is discontinued.

For a bottle it is my 4.2 oz. bottle of vintage Chanel Egoiste, which was about $140/4.2 oz.

Creed Ambre Cannelle, by far.

N'Aimez Que Moi (£103 per 50 ml), the EdP. Plus, I also have two back-up bottles as I really couldn't bear the thought of running out of it! That said, I have other frags about £20 per 50 ml EdP, including Youth Dew, that I really like these days. And little samples of Cabaret (Gres) that I got from eBay for about £6 and also like a lot!

Musc Ravageur at £95 - 50ml. The way I see it, I thoroughly enjoy my fragrances. I gave up smoking at New Year, and cut right down on my spending in bars. I now have £50 a month that I don't spend on tabacco, and £50 - £100 that isn't spent on pouring liquid down my throat!!! So £95 for something that I will get pleasure from for the next year or two, rather than one night or bad health and bad smells, is actually money well spent.
    LOST! in scent and music

A Perfume oil : 45 USD for 1/8 oz quantity...that's over 10 USD per ml
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Kilian - Incense Oud 295,- Eur (420$)

Ensar Oud - Kyara LTD Port Moresby 3ml for 2,500$
    Last edited by Nikolaos; 18th August 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Xerjoff Al Khatt €240 for 50 ml.

creed spice and wood, the california tax really killed my wallet on this one.

Right now I am giving away a vintage half bottle of Balmain's Ivoire 50ml parfum on the female Free to A Good Home thread.

Someone on eBay is trying to sell a full bottle of the exact same thing for $400 USD.

Basenotes Junkie

In a weak moment I bought a 4.0oz flask of Creed Bois du Portugal at Neiman's for the asking price of $330.

I wouldn't pay that again if in my right mind, but it was so good...

Most I've ever paid is £200. For Brooklyn.

Roja Parfums Scandal Pour Homme, 50 ml & Roja Parfums Musk Aoud Parfum, 30 ml

$480.00 each

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Whichever fragrance you end up not wearing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Whichever fragrance you end up not wearing.
    LOL. Isn't that the truth.

Villoresi Personal Scent!

$165 for Creed Aventus in a tester bottle.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 9/17

Tom Ford private blends are all rediculously pricey, sadly i must own so many hahaha. right now 4 and that stupid sampler with 5 12ml bottles that was 300. MFK Oud was 300 for 70ml but im saving for MFK Cashmere Oud Mood which is 375 for 70mls i believe.

$225 for a full 60 ml bottle of Blackbird by House of Matriarch
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

May I ask what you do for a living and how this one smell?

Roja Dove "Roja".

Current top 10 (in no particular order)
    Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    IDOLE De Lubin Vintage EDT
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Boadicea The Victorious LEGEND
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Annick Goutal MYRRHE ARDENTE
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Stefano Ricci Platinum. I want to say it was roughly $600.

creed aventus for me. paid around 275? forgot

By far, Hermes Doblis but I enjoy every drop of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mimili View Post
    By far, Hermes Doblis but I enjoy every drop of it.
    I never even heard of this fragrance until now! Looked it up on Fragrantica and it sounds awesome, from the list of ingredients.

Two Kilian scents compete for this prize: Straight to Heaven and Flower of Immortality, both with a US MSRP of $235. And both were gifts.

But what makes the Straight to Heaven special among the two is that Kilian himself signed the lacquered keepsake box for me. To me, that makes it priceless.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Probably Clive Christian.