Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Done but with errors?? Problem with pages loading

I am having trouble going from page to page on this website. Pages load slowly and when they have finally loaded I get either "Done with errors" or just "Done", but with a little yellow excalmation mark in front of the word(s). If I double click on the icon this box comes up (see image):

It's not a good photo but gives an idea of what happens. It actually says:

Webpage error details

Line: 55
    Char: 114
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.basenotes.net/newthread.p...newthread&f=43

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 23:27:26 UTC

I think this has something to do with the poor performance I am getting from this website on my computer. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Breck
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Done but with errors?? Problem with pages loading

I've been having that happen too. Also, I've been having trouble logging in and once I am logged in, it keeps logging me out. Just now I tried accessing the old wardrobe settings and I couldn't, it's always worked for me before. Also, sometimes when I'm writing a post, suddenly the whole post will just disappear, very frustating!

Basenotes Institution

Same problem as Kilwia- problems logging in - in the past 2 days.
    Pages are slow to load and also as I am writing a post, it disappears and I have to type it all over again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Just slow loading for me, but it is tiresome.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Same problem as Kilwia- problems logging in - in the past 2 days.
    Pages are slow to load and also as I am writing a post, it disappears and I have to type it all over again.
    Same here! I thought is was just me. Disappearing text suddenly happens and most often when I am on Basenotes via Internet Explorer.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Same here with Safari 4.0.4.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Same here! I thought is was just me. Disappearing text suddenly happens and most often when I am on Basenotes via Internet Explorer.
    Yes, I'm also on IE .

Blog Entries

Well! I am very glad I said something. Sometimes I feel like I am pointing out too many problems, and I dont mean to. But this particular one seems the most persistent, and, now, obviously, prevalent too. Hello Basenotes? Are you there moderating? Any info you can throw our way?

By the way, I've begun using Mozilla Firefox just to see if that helps and I did this before reading y'all's emails which spotlighted Internet Explorer. One thing I noticed with Firefox is that in that little bottom left-hand corner area on the lowest toolbar on my screen (what do you call that bar?), there are just A TON OF different urls that speedily flash thru a sequence, just loading a page. Double-click.com is one of them and that's a little spy-bot. IE8 does not show all those places that the electrons are going to betw. my computer and Basenotes. But no wonder the process is slow if the signals have to go to half a dozen websites besides ours!

Another thing Firefox does that I've just noticed: up in the url box for this page it says, "Done-but-with-errors-Problem-with-pages-loading".

IS THIS A LINGERING PROBLEM FROM THE HACKING BASENOTES MANAGEMENT?
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 10th June 2011 at 03:38 PM.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Blog Entries

I also have to sign in each time if I use Firefox, not with IE8. That's a recurring hassle.
    I've been watching all those websites flicker as each page loads. There's this www.utarget.co.uk that comes up alot. I've tried that url on its own but it doesn't take me anywhere. But there are many others, like twitter and facebook. Are those supposed to be involved in loading a page on Basenotes?

Blog Entries

Unintentional doubled message - one of the other problems, actually...
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 12th June 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: doubled message

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Another thing Firefox does that I've just noticed: up in the url box for this page it says, "Done-but-with-errors-Problem-with-pages-loading".
    That's because that is the title of your thread!
    l'm using Mozilla Firefox too, & the title of the thread being read always appears there.

l haven't experienced any of the problems described here, except for the pages loading slowly when the site is busy.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Today I'm having the same problems but they've gotten worse. Posts disappear more often and I can't do anything in my wardrobe except click on the SotD or it will knock me offline. Everything seems even slower, if that's possible.

Basenotes Institution

Apart from the disappearance of posts before posting..... my log in problems are getting out of hand.
    1.If am I am logged in but have not touched the webpage for a while , I am logged out ?
    2.If I refresh a page or press 'New Posts' - I am logged out of Basenotes .
    3.Also ,I am still encountering an error logging in ,initially and at any other time anyway and I am taken to the page with the 5 chances to log in before the 15 minutes time out .
    4.Deleting PM s. When I select messages - the selected messages would be highlighted in yellow. Now this doesn't happen . At the bottom of the PM page ( either Inbox or Sent Messages ) - even when I have selected messages to delete- it says 0 messages highlighted ?
    BUT the messages I ticked for deletion are deleted anyway .
    Very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I am also getting this all the time now. The page appears to load fully but extremely slowly, but the little spinning circle icon continues to spin for a very long time. I can type into the reply box but usually after I write a couple of sentences the post disappears and an Error on page message appears on the bottom left. This is very irritating.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The disappearing text problem seems gone today but s-l-o-o-o-o-w page loading still present. Again, my benchmark to check if it is my computer/DSL: immediately going to Google. If it loads in milliseconds then I know it isn't me.

It does.

*edit: note the doubled "my my" in the text above.

*edit#2: the above edit took over 90 seconds to finish loading

*edit#3: text disappearing prior to posting is back
    Last edited by kbe; 12th June 2011 at 04:46 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I still have the disappearing text problem, happened this morning while posting SotD on female discussion board.

Blog Entries

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with Basenotes from my perspective (and thank God I am not the only one! judging by these other postings). And I have yet to see any indication that the Basenote administration is even aware of our complaints here. I have seen lots of members posting their problems and not a single response from a moderator or even the owner. It is almost not worth it anymore for me to come to Basenotes. It took me about 3 mins. to post my scent of the day. And that was only after I had to reload the pages each time! Hello Basenotes, is anyone home?

Blog Entries

Exclamation No one seems to be paying any attention to the Community Center thread...

Some of us members are having SERIOUS PROBLEMS with Basenotes as users. We have a thread going on the Community Center forum called "DONE BUT WITH ERRORS". There have been many members who have posted on this issue. Thus far no one from the Basenotes administration has responded to these complaints. I have finally decided to post these concerns here on this forum which I believe is moderated. It does not appear that the Community Center forum is moderated or else someone would have replied to our posts there. I won't repeat all of the problems that are described in detail there. I am only trying here to get some attention from someone at Basenotes to help us. Thank you!

Dependent

Default Re: No one seems to be paying any attention to the Community Center thread...

Yes I am getting a lot of database errors and pages timing out (never loading).

Default Re: No one seems to be paying any attention to the Community Center thread...

Yeah Im getting lots of errors too and in general the site has slowed down a lot from when I first started looking on here. Thought it was my computer/internet as opposed to the site, obviously not the case

Same problems as everyone has listed and Im using Chrome

This has been a longstanding problem ever since I joined Basenotes over four years ago. The site appears to be going backwards rather than forwards. The site is just too clunky and unattractive compared to so many others, and performance just gets worse.

I don't know why every Tom, Dick, and Harry can get a website to work properly, but Basenotes can't. Even Fragrantica, as new and as challenged as they sometime seem, are running circles around Basenotes, with immensely better graphics and response time. It's no wonder more and more people are participating there. And how the hell are they able get photos of every fragrances in their Directory while Basenotes appears to have given up even trying? Can you think of a website that is as frustrating to use as this one is? I can't.

I suppose the short answer is that Basenotes, a huge, complex website, is basically a one man operation. It's just way too much for one guy. I think Grant needs to hire some professional help, at least in the short term, to help sort out the issues. They just aren't going away and the website looks to be stagnant. Perhaps membership is up, but many other things seem to be falling behind. I hate to say that, as this is my preferred internet fragrance home, but someone needs to get serious about the long standing performance issues.

Errors galore tonight, but it looks like it is back to normal at the moment (touch wood) as I type.
    Give Grant some time, if anything is wrong he is always on the ball when it comes to getting things sorted and with the size of Basenotes and the amount of members upping the posts and server space daily, I'm certain he is watching things all the time.
    All good things come to those who wait

summer means fireflys

Just to let everyone know: I did notify Grant about the problems some of you are having. Please try to be patient. This was first brought up just 4 days ago, 2 of those days being a weekend. I'm sure you will get some information soon!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Yes I am getting a lot of database errors and pages timing out (never loading).
    +1 also, the site is getting reeeeeally slow.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Errors galore tonight, but it looks like it is back to normal at the moment (touch wood) as I type.
    Give Grant some time, if anything is wrong he is always on the ball when it comes to getting things sorted and with the size of Basenotes and the amount of members upping the posts and server space daily, I'm certain he is watching things all the time.
    All good things come to those who wait
    I totally agree with you Craig, Grant does a good job with this site. There isn't any other perfume site on the internet that can compare to Basenotes, so it's definitely worth putting up with a little inconvience occasionally.

Thank you so much Shadesofbleu, for letting him know of the problems!!

Blog Entries

I started this thread which I see has moved. I'll have to figure out where to, probably back to Community Center, but I just wanted to respond to the "patience" request. I really had no idea how long this problem has been going on for others. I just knew that for me the site was getting almost impossible to use. I don't keep track of such things, but I think for me it has been going on longer than the 4 days one poster (above) cited.

The thing is with "patience" - it lasts much longer and is more endurable if one knows someone is working on the problems. When, however, one is patient and yet no response is received, then the patience thing becomes something else instead. If that makes sense...

I am the first one to give credit to hard-working souls. Esp. one soul! But I would like to know what's going on when the site becomes like it is now. It takes over a minute for a page to load, IF it loads. Often nothing happens even after half an hour! I've tested this. Sometimes pages never load. Then I have to figure out what to try next. This is also my favorite website for fragrance. And my only one. I started out here. I want it to succeed as much as anyone.

Right now and for the past "several days" the site is working worse than it did right after the hack. I agree completely with noggs when he said,
    Can you think of a website that is as frustrating to use as this one is? I can't.
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 12th June 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Grant does his very best with Basenotes and I totally appreciate that. It's pretty hard work 24/7 . I think this is all the left over stuff from the hacking incident which un - did a lot of Grant's hard work . It's as irritating for him I'm sure, as it is for us.
    I can live with these errors for now - the world is not ending tonight ! *LOL*

Yes, I must admit the Database Error messages practically EVERY time I click on a link is starting to wear me down.
    Any status on this big man?

Blog Entries

Here's what I got when trying to use "What Everyone Is Wearing" by going to Directory to choose my scent:Warning: unlink(/home/basenot2/public_html/ca/sotdside.php) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php on line 58

Warning: unlink(/home/basenot2/public_html/ca/sotdsidecms.php) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php:58) in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn_sotd.php on line 219

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/basenot2/public_html/bn-inc/functions.php:58) in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn_sotd.php on line 220

And just trying to get to this thread and forum took two tries and another error page.

Blog Entries

I can live with these errors for now - the world is not ending tonight ! *LOL*
    Me too. As long as I don't have to use Basenotes I can live with these errors indefinitely! LOL.
    (And just trying to post this reply took two tries and one visit to the dreaded Error Page!

Grant is currently in discussion with the website hosts so please be patient. Grant is a very busy person and has a family to attend to and also remember this site is free.

I'll update you with any news I get from Grant.

Thank you for that information... I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to work on this problem!
    Yes, I'm having major problems getting anything to load here too ( using Safari ) but as long as it's being looked into, I'm
    okay with that... I enjoy this site too much to stay away..

Thanks for the update from Grant. I know he is just one guy and I appreciate everything he does to make this site available to us. I hope that he gets traction with the web hosts, and I would specifically request that he ask them what they are doing to ensure performance of the database according to standard industry best practices such as indexing and the like. I have no idea what BN is using for a database, but in my experience, some bulletin board systems use a very inadequate database technology that is not well-designed or well-maintaned and are not up to the best standards. I would even be willing to contribute if Grant were to start a donation fund to upgrade the database back end.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoL View Post
    Grant is currently in discussion with the website hosts so please be patient. Grant is a very busy person and has a family to attend to and also remember this site is free. I'll update you with any news I get from Grant.
    Many thanks for the update and information. That's really all I can ask for (and what I was asking for initially).

I will take issue with the statement that the site is free. First, it is not free for the many members who are paying subscribers, and they are experiencing the same problems as the non-paying members. 2nd, as for the rest of us, I think in a sense we pay our own way - how? Well by making this site what it is. By contributing our time and talents. 3rd, if I could afford to become a subscribing member I would. I am currently just trying to "make ends meet" in this economic depression that is on-going. Not everyone has a nice job with a regular source of income. 4th, if the owner wishes for more paying subscribers, the way to get them is to offer a service that is relatively problem-free and user friendly.

Many thanks for the update and information. That's really all I can ask for (and what I was asking for initially).

I will take issue with the statement that the site is free. First, it is not free for the many members who are paying subscribers, and they are experiencing the same problems as the non-paying members. 2nd, as for the rest of us, I think in a sense we pay our own way - how? Well by making this site what it is. By contributing our time and talents. 3rd, if I could afford to become a subscribing member I would. I am currently just trying to "make ends meet" in this economic depression that is on-going. Not everyone has a nice job with a regular source of income. 4th, if the owner wishes for more paying subscribers, the way to get them is to offer a service that is relatively problem-free and user friendly.
    Yes the site is free unless you subscribe for additional features. These issues are out with Grants hands and are being dealt with. As previously stated, please be patient.

I will take issue with the statement that the site is free. First, it is not free for the many members who are paying subscribers, and they are experiencing the same problems as the non-paying members. 2nd, as for the rest of us, I think in a sense we pay our own way - how? Well by making this site what it is. By contributing our time and talents.[/B].
    And Grant has said himself in previous posts that he knows that. He values the non-paying members as much as the paying members. He knows it's the overall participation that leads to the site growing and improving. Many of the most active posters and reviewers are not paying subscribers, but they add tremendous value to the site.

My main beef is not so much with the recent spate of problems, but with the fact that they seem to never go away. This website has been difficult to use ever since I've become a member. Database errors, network errors, very slow loading, empty posts, unintended double posts, have been recurring problems for the past four years, perhaps longer. I don't know how it was prior to 2007.

I hope the problems can be sorted out once and for all and we can forget about them and concentrate on talking about what we are here for, fragrances!

BTW, the website is performing way better this morning. Still getting the slow loading pages, disappearing typed text, etc, though. But generally it is much faster than yesterday with no database errors.

Saintpaulia- Maybe you should come back to the site in a week or two so the current problems do not stress you out any further. As the site has grown considerably in the past few years it has experienced the usual growing pains. Grant and his wife Dani are basically a two person company that contracts with website and other internet providers. The slow-to-load issues seem to occur periodically and eventually get resolved. If you are unhappy with not getting compensated for "contributing ...time and talents" due to the internet related issues there are some other fragrance sites you might be less unhappy with. stuigi (moderator)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the recurring problems are even more frustrating to Grant than they are to us.

However, today things seem to be moving along better-- faster loading and no data error messages yet.

Not for me. I'm still having problems with the site.

Lots of problems with loading.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Database Error message is back....

Blog Entries

Database Error message is back....
    No change on my computer. Still the same problems as those I've experienced for the past week. Mainly it is the slow loading. This makes it tedious to move around the site. I now expect that it will be 1-2 mins. before I can get from point A to point B on the site. So now I click on the next link to go where I want to and then automatically sit back in my chair and fold my arms and wait, or I pick up a book and read a bit. Then when I am finally taken to where I wanted to go on-site, I pull my chair back up to the computer and continue my Basenoting. But yes there are plenty of instances where I am trying to do something like use the Scent of the Day and I get the error message. In fact, the devil made me do it; I copied and pasted the error message into the space where one can say something about their scent! It's hit and miss. You never really know what is going to happen when you try and use Basenotes. As I said, I now expect a hassle, so I am not as frustrated, but I also do not use Basenotes nearly as much as I used to. Before this stuff started I was using Basenotes on a scale of 1-10, where 10 is continuous, about 7-8. Now I use it about 2-3. Sad but true.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I think most of us are experiencing slow loading of pages and posts. I also think Grant is aware of the problems and is working on them to the best of his ability and available time and money. If continual venting about the same problem that takes time to fix makes for personal stress relief then vent on. But it seems a bit redundant and unduly impatient to me.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th June 2011 at 11:06 PM.

No change on my computer. Still the same problems as those I've experienced for the past week. Mainly it is the slow loading. This makes it tedious to move around the site. I now expect that it will be 1-2 mins. before I can get from point A to point B on the site. So now I click on the next link to go where I want to and then automatically sit back in my chair and fold my arms and wait, or I pick up a book and read a bit. Then when I am finally taken to where I wanted to go on-site, I pull my chair back up to the computer and continue my Basenoting. But yes there are plenty of instances where I am trying to do something like use the Scent of the Day and I get the error message. In fact, the devil made me do it; I copied and pasted the error message into the space where one can say something about their scent! It's hit and miss. You never really know what is going to happen when you try and use Basenotes. As I said, I now expect a hassle, so I am not as frustrated, but I also do not use Basenotes nearly as much as I used to. Before this stuff started I was using Basenotes on a scale of 1-10, where 10 is continuous, about 7-8. Now I use it about 2-3. Sad but true.
    I have had an update from Grant who informs me that he has met with his web hosts and short and long term solutions are being implemented shortly. This should stop these problems from occurring. As solutions have been found, I will be closing this thread as I feel anymore discussion on this matter is futile and generating a great deal of upset.

Just for the record, I was not inferring that non-paying members are in anyway less important to this site nor are their contributions.

Thank you for your patience. If after these solutions have been implemented and there are still issues, I or one of the other moderators will inform you of any further actions.